iPhone XS Max

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

iPhone XS Max

Post by Leesbro63 »

As many of you remember, I bought an iPhoneX last year to replace my old iPhone7Plus. I have been disappointed in the size of this phone, as compared to the older, more robust ("bigger") PLUS phone. It's hard t read with the X but I had no trouble doing so on my 7Plus.

OK, so I'm willing to suck it up and pay the juice for a new iPhoneXSMAX. How will the size compare to the iPhone 7PLUS? And when can I get it?

Edit: I guess these should be called "Excess Plus" or "Tennis Plus" phones
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjvmartin

Re: iPhone XS Max

Post by kjvmartin »

The keynote just ended.

$1100 for the cheapest iPhone Xs Max at 64 gigabytes of storage. It looks to be negligibly larger in form than a "Plus" model.

I do not understand how Apple can continue to raise prices like this, and I'm a huge Apple fan going on 20 years. You can pre order 9/14 and release date is 9/21.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

kjvmartin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:50 pm The keynote just ended.

$1100 for the cheapest iPhone Xs Max at 64 gigabytes of storage. It looks to be negligibly larger in form than a "Plus" model.

I do not understand how Apple can continue to raise prices like this, and I'm a huge Apple fan going on 20 years. You can pre order 9/14 and release date is 9/21.
How can they keep raising prices? Easy...supply and demand. OK, so I'll end up spending $1600 for a maxed out Max with AppleCare and tax, etc. As Warren Buffett recently mentioned, it provides more value than a private jet. That $1600 will be one of the highest value expenses I'll make this year. And you may not realize it, but thank you for answering my unstated question, which was "will the iPhoneXMax be TOO big?". Similar to the old PLUS is exactly what I want.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

XS Max is 6.5"

Bigger screen but same form factor as the 8 Plus.

I'll give you $300 cash money for your X. :wink:
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:54 pm

How can they keep raising prices? Easy...supply and demand. OK, so I'll end up spending $1600 for a maxed out Max with AppleCare and tax, etc. As Warren Buffett recently mentioned, it provides more value than a private jet. That $1600 will be one of the highest value expenses I'll make this year. And you may not realize it, but thank you for answering my unstated question, which was "will the iPhoneXMax be TOO big?". Similar to the old PLUS is exactly what I want.
You have to admit the dual camera is neat. I have a 7plus and won’t buy new for about 5 years.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Ok, but there's a just as useful but not as flashy iPhone Xr for $749. I guess some people find value in a gold plated private jet.

The Xr also has a bigger display than an iPhone Plus in a smaller form factor. It's got the same internals but an upgraded LCD screen (vs OLED) and one camera lens (vs 2). I work in an average white collar office, middle class job, and I am a tech "go to guy" On my floor of 45 people there is *one* iPhone X user and she got hers on sale recently.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Did they announce how much trade in value you will get to upgrade. I got the IPhone 8 Plus and was given a $650 trade in credit for my IPhone 6, If I can get something similar, I would think of upgrading to the Max middle storage phone.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:54 pm XS Max is 6.5"

Actually, I WILL sell it for what the market will bear. I am guessing that this will be about $500, but I'm not sure.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I also think the iWatch looks good. This may be the year I buy one.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

I think it will compare favorably to the Plus (7 or 8), and you'll like it more than the X. The size should be roughly similar (slightly smaller), and of course the screen will be beautiful. Enjoy it when you get it in two weeks! :beer

{I feel sorry for the X. You already can't buy it on Apple's website, as the Compare section says "available at select resellers" like it's a disgraced step-sibling or something. :( Perhaps it'll be available in the refurb section of the website soon...}
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

kjvmartin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:50 pm $1100 for the cheapest iPhone Xs Max at 64 gigabytes of storage.
No. Just, no. There is no conceivable feature Apple could add on top of the basic required functionality that would justify this price.

I'll keep my $200 32Gb iPhone SE. It still works just fine.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

kjvmartin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:50 pm

So you are saying the price is excessive to the max :wink:

They will charge what the market can bear. People were happy to shell out $1,000+ for the iphoneX. If people are willing to pay for a fancier phone, they'd be remiss not to give them what they want. They sell the iPhone 7 now for $450 if you don't need or want the latest greatest. If you are a cheapskate, you just get a $50 android phone anyways.

Personally, I use my iphone more than any single physical object in my life. I'm willing to pay a bit more for something really nice. That said, I do an every other year upgrade. This year is not my year.
Last edited by alfaspider on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

iphone 8 plus and Xs max are around the same size.

See the tech specs:
https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/specs/

Xs max weighs 1 ounce more than 8plus.
TSR

Post by TSR »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:15 pm
kjvmartin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:50 pm $1100 for the cheapest iPhone Xs Max at 64 gigabytes of storage.
No. Just, no. There is no conceivable feature Apple could add on top of the basic required functionality that would justify this price.

I love the size of my SE, but it has been losing a few steps here and there. I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade in a year or so, but I'm not sure what to. Guessing it won't be to the XS Max.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:04 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:54 pm XS Max is 6.5"

Actually, I WILL sell it for what the market will bear. I am guessing that this will be about $500, but I'm not sure.
I know. It was "in jest". It will sell for more than $500. But, there is always some downward pressure once the new models are released and people want out of their current phones. The iPhones never seems to drop too far though. Which I guess is good if you are selling used. Not so good if you are buying used.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

TSR wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:19 pm

I love the size of my SE, but it has been losing a few steps here and there. I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade in a year or so, but I'm not sure what to. Guessing it won't be to the XS Max.
I have the 6s and the SE has the same processor. There is nothing I can't do with my 6s that I would need an upgrade. If I had better eyes, the SE for $150 would be the way to go. I guess some people always need the newest model, maybe it makes them feel important or superior to those who choose not to waste their money.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:36 pm I have the 6s and the SE has the same processor. There is nothing I can't do with my 6s that I would need an upgrade. If I had better eyes, the SE for $150 would be the way to go. I guess some people always need the newest model, maybe it makes them feel important or superior to those who choose not to waste their money.
When I went from the 4s to SE I said to myself "I didn't think there would be much difference, but the SE is much, much faster with a better battery life".

When I went from the SE to a regular size 8 I said to myself "I didn't think there would be much difference, but the 8 is much, much faster with much better battery life."

The incremental changes in core speed and enhanced components do add up. It is very noticeable, but still may not be "worth" the upgrade. I would like to find someone selling an X that just has to have one of the new Xr,s,max.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

They're the most valuable company on the planet for a reason! $1100 for a smart phone is just ludicrous for a lot of people. That's MacBook territory. I'm interested to see if the "cheapo" version (iPhone Xr: $750) sells better. Lots of consumer psychology in how to choose.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:36 pm

I have the 6s and the SE has the same processor. There is nothing I can't do with my 6s that I would need an upgrade. If I had better eyes, the SE for $150 would be the way to go. I guess some people always need the newest model, maybe it makes them feel important or superior to those who choose not to waste their money.
Of course you don’t need latest and greatest but the 6s is now 4 generations old.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Alexa9 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:46 pm They're the most valuable company on the planet for a reason! $1100 for a smart phone is just ludicrous for a lot of people. That's MacBook territory. I'm interested to see if the "cheapo" version (iPhone Xr: $750) sells better. Lots of consumer psychology in how to choose.
It's an interesting phenomenon that smart phones continue to increase in price. Nearly every technology, as it matures, gets cheaper.

PCs, VCRs, TVs, etc. Over time, they went from outrageously expensive to affordable. Smart phones are moving in the opposite direction. When our iPhone 7s are past useful life I don't know what we'll do this time around.
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

Alexa9 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:46 pm They're the most valuable company on the planet for a reason! $1100 for a smart phone is just ludicrous for a lot of people. That's MacBook territory. I'm interested to see if the "cheapo" version (iPhone Xr: $750) sells better. Lots of consumer psychology in how to choose.
I think for quite a few, their phones are becoming their "computers". That's why there are ever larger screen sizes being released.

I should say that the iPhone 8 I bought was effectively $550. It was $748 with tax and $200 rebate.
Last edited by knpstr on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

This may sound like an odd question. Why not consider an (new) older model? 6s+ is $550 / $650 from the carrier. 7+ $670 / $770.
I've always been a fan of the latest tech but can't justify upgrading from my 3 year old 64gb 6s plus. It does everything, has a great camera, operates like new and is big, good battery life, etc.

By the way you should be able to get at least $650 for your X based on the secondary market websites
Light weight baby!
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Of course you don’t need latest and greatest but the 6s is now 4 generations old.
so what? I press on an app and it opens right up, no lag. I just don't understand how anything maybe being a tad bit faster justifies having to upgrade. We are talking fractions of seconds here maybe.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

kjvmartin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:57 pm
It's an interesting phenomenon that smart phones continue to increase in price. Nearly every technology, as it matures, gets cheaper.

Smartphones have gotten drastically cheaper. It's just that Apple chooses to compete only in the high-end of the market. You can get a very functional android smartphone for just $50- full retail. Those $50 phones are on-par with a 5-6 year old phone that would have cost ~$800 when new. Also, it used to be that smartphone prices had carrier subsidies attached. The phone would be advertised as "$399", but it was really about $800 with a $400 carrier subsidy that was baked into the service cost.
thatme

Post by thatme »

My two-year old 8 Plus (I think, whatever was introduced two years ago) is due for an upgrade, largely due to the poor battery life. I have to recharge multiple times throughout the day. I'm definitely a heavy user for work, but don't watch movies or anything on it. Under the "battery health" in settings I'm down to 84%, which doesn't seem good for a device that isn't even two years old. I'll likely trade in for the new Max in a few months.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

thatme wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm My two-year old 8 Plus (I think, whatever was introduced two years ago) is due for an upgrade, largely due to the poor battery life. I have to recharge multiple times throughout the day. I'm definitely a heavy user for work, but don't watch movies or anything on it. Under the "battery health" in settings I'm down to 84%, which doesn't seem good for a device that isn't even two years old. I'll likely trade in for the new Max in a few months.
why not just get a new battery?
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

How can they keep raising prices? Easy...supply and demand. OK, so I'll end up spending $1600 for a maxed out Max with AppleCare and tax, etc. As Warren Buffett recently mentioned, it provides more value than a private jet.
And an iPhone 7 provides nearly the same functionality (sure no face ID and camera isn't as good) for $449. It does all of the types of things Warren Buffet was referring to that make a phone more powerful than a private jet.

I have an iPhone 7 and it runs incredibly well with iOS 12 (beta version...assuming the final release will be the same or better)
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:02 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:50 pm

so what? I press on an app and it opens right up, no lag. I just don't understand how anything maybe being a tad bit faster justifies having to upgrade. We are talking fractions of seconds here maybe.
I love using my wife's 7 vs my SE. Personally, the 2nd generation touch ID is ridiculously good vs the SE's first generation. The camera takes better pics of our kids, and the processor absolutely feels faster. You're adding fractions of a second over hundreds of clicks per day. I've also noticed certain apps (Mint, NHL, FitBit, Pandora, Puniverse, and a few lesser known ones) open probably 1 to 2 seconds (or more) faster on her phone vs my SE.

I'm gonna snap up a 64gb 8 here soon. I'm just waiting to see if Apple releases any refurbished 8s for even cheaper, as they did with the 7 soon after last year's keynote.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Silver Bullet

Post by Silver Bullet »

I went from the 6S + to the 8P earlier this year. Skipped over the 7 series - just didn't see the need and couldn't justify the cost spread over such a short period of time. The 8 does everything I need it to and I can't see upgrading anytime soon - and I spend a LOT more time on my iPhone texting/emailing/calls (calls are the least used unfortunately). Texts are how many of my clients & sales reps communicate and they receive instant responses. It doesn't take the latest greatest technology to accomplish the above.

That said (and in reference to the IT posters comments above), my office has about 60 folks. 50/50 sales/operations staff and mainly 20-40 somethings. I would guess that 30% of our office has the "X", 30% has the latest Galaxy and 40% has "something else" (like my 8).
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

thatme wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm My two-year old 8 Plus (I think, whatever was introduced two years ago) is due for an upgrade, largely due to the poor battery life. I have to recharge multiple times throughout the day. I'm definitely a heavy user for work, but don't watch movies or anything on it. Under the "battery health" in settings I'm down to 84%, which doesn't seem good for a device that isn't even two years old. I'll likely trade in for the new Max in a few months.
a new battery is $29 til end of 2018
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Just buy it - it's only money and life is short! (Full disclosure: Apple stockholder)
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thatme

Post by thatme »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:07 pm
I might consider it, but given my how much I use my phone and how I can likely trade this one in for at least 1/2 the price of the new one, it's probably worth it to me. As someone noted above, my phone is easily the device I use the most often throughout the day/week, far more than my car or any other device.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

apple really does seem to have most in the palms of their hands..tricking people they need an upgrade every other year. People justifying upgrades for no apparent reason.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

thatme wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:22 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:07 pm
I might consider it, but given my how much I use my phone and how I can likely trade this one in for at least 1/2 the price of the new one, it's probably worth it to me. As someone noted above, my phone is easily the device I use the most often throughout the day/week, far more than my car or any other device.
Honest question: more than your computer (desktop/laptop)? Trust me, I'd be looking for every reason to upgrade to the newer phones if I could afford it. :beer

(I also think you have a 7+, not an 8+, since the 8+ is only a little over a year old.)
azanon

Post by azanon »

knpstr wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:58 pm
I think for quite a few, their phones are becoming their "computers". That's why there are ever larger screen sizes being released.

I should say that the iPhone 8 I bought was effectively $550. It was $748 with tax and $200 rebate.
Yeah I guess put me in the camp that's not shocked by the price. It's basically a miniaturized computer with a fancy OLED screen, AND a pretty high end camera. For the longest time, "computer" choices were desktop vs. laptop, and the laptop of comparable power to the desktop was always more expensive due to miniaturization.

Anyway, if you really consider everything it can do, it's not all that shocking.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:26 pm apple really does seem to have most in the palms of their hands..tricking people they need an upgrade every other year. People justifying upgrades for no apparent reason.
If I have my phone and my wallet I can go anywhere or do anything. I use my bike more than my car. I have a nice bike. I use my phone more than my bike. Might as well have a nice phone. I usually stay 1-2 versions back from the tip.
sambb

Post by sambb »

Go apple and go total stock index. Great products Feo. Great companies.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

ssquared87 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:08 pm

How can they keep raising prices? Easy...supply and demand. OK, so I'll end up spending $1600 for a maxed out Max with AppleCare and tax, etc. As Warren Buffett recently mentioned, it provides more value than a private jet.
And an iPhone 7 provides nearly the same functionality (sure no face ID and camera isn't as good) for $449. It does all of the types of things Warren Buffet was referring to that make a phone more powerful than a private jet.

I have an iPhone 7 and it runs incredibly well with iOS 12 (beta version...assuming the final release will be the same or better)
my IPhone 7s is working incredibly well. At 449 I think it is a great product.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Most electronics get cheaper over time: Cameras, TV's, Computers, etc. Apple is trying to reinvent the wheel and most people don't need these features (AR and Facial Recognition/Animojis). Same with cars to some degree with the overkill safety and tech features. I want quality and aesthetics but most people don't need unnecessary experimental features or an A12 Bionic Chip to check their email. I find it comical.
longleaf

Post by longleaf »

No reason for buying something you want?

Why make money?
Frugality, indexing, time.
Momus

Post by Momus »

Aside from new processor, slightly better camera, and bigger screen, nothing new.

Noted. Note 9 still beats iPhone X max hands down. Apple as usual continue to play catch up and charge exorbitant amount for a crappy device to the mass. Don't worry the next software update brings your iPhone to plan obsolescence (gimping the processor as the battery die a slow death). End of discussion.

https://youtu.be/lY8Cq32tmcw
Last edited by Momus on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azanon

Post by azanon »

Alexa9 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Most electronics get cheaper over time: Cameras, TV's, Computers, etc. Apple is trying to reinvent the wheel and most people don't need these features (AR and Facial Recognition/Animojis). Same with cars to some degree with the overkill safety and tech features. I want quality and aesthetics but most people don't need unnecessary experimental features or an A12 Bionic Chip to check their email. I find it comical.
I'd certainly agree with this. If you're not a "power user", (e.g. just checking email, reading the internet, use 4-5 apps, facebook/twitter) its silly to buy the top end phones.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Not a bad price for a camera ........and you get a phone too!

But I'll stick with my old phone.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Momus wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:08 pm Aside from new processor, slightly better camera, and bigger screen, nothing new.

Noted. Note 9 still beats iPhone X max hands down. Apple as usual continue to play catch up and charge exorbitant amount for a crappy device to the mass. Don't worry the next software update brings your iPhone to plan obsolescence (gimping the processor as the battery die a slow death). End of discussion.

I'm not so sure "exorbitant" prices is justified when mentioning the similarly priced Note 9...
and my own experience with android is they lose value much quicker, have bloat and spyware, and tend to lag quickly, whereas 5 year old iPhone still work buttery smooth and retain value better
Light weight baby!
mountain-lion

Post by mountain-lion »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:36 pm I guess some people always need the newest model, maybe it makes them feel important or superior to those who choose not to waste their money.
I'm sure some people buy the latest and greatest to feel important or superior, but that is far from the most common reason.

The camera really is better. The screen really is better. The processor really is faster.

You might not extract value from those features, but lots of people do. That makes it not a waste of money, at least for them.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

I'm so far into the Apple Ecosystem. I feel like a bit of a prisoner. I'd can find a $500 OLED LG Android with fast charging and a touch ID equivalent. Switching would be painful. Apple has done a good job sinking their teeth into me.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm As many of you remember, I bought an iPhoneX last year to replace my old iPhone7Plus. I have been disappointed in the size of this phone, as compared to the older, more robust ("bigger") PLUS phone. It's hard t read with the X but I had no trouble doing so on my 7Plus.

OK, so I'm willing to suck it up and pay the juice for a new iPhoneXSMAX. How will the size compare to the iPhone 7PLUS? And when can I get it?
iPhoneXSMAX is a mouth full. Can we just call it iPhone?

I have an iPhone too... bought it 5 years ago.
Time is the ultimate currency.
charis23

Post by charis23 »

I'm probably going to go with a certified refurbished 7 or 7 Plus for my wife and I. Need to upgrade our 3 year old iPhone 6.

If you're planning on buying an iPhone (or anything from Apple), you can use get 1.2% cashback if you use Acorns. For some reason the offer only shows up via the mobile app (but not in a browser).
Momus

Post by Momus »

RobLyons wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:17 pm
Momus wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:08 pm Aside from new processor, slightly better camera, and bigger screen, nothing new.

I'm not so sure "exorbitant" prices is justified when mentioning the similarly priced Note 9...
and my own experience with android is they lose value much quicker, have bloat and spyware, and tend to lag quickly, whereas 5 year old iPhone still work buttery smooth and retain value better
Most Android flagships beat iPhone in terms of value, hardware. Ever heard of Pixel 2? Beats iPhone camera. P20 pro? Beats iPhone camera. Galaxy S9, more ram, better screen. Fingerprint sensor, iris scanner, fast face detection compare to iPhone. Oneplus 6? Same performance for $500. Note 9? Stylus, 30% more battery, headphone jack, Infiniti display, no notch (Are you crazy? Why with the stupid notch apple!!!? Watch next yr, they will copy Samsung no notch, and that bezel on the side? WTH!!). Android flagships is better at multitasking, better at costumization, better options, looks better in general.

IPhone is suited for one size fits all. It is simple, boring, no customization, lack of features (compare to Android) with planned obsolescence. They are always playing catch up to flagship android (aside from processor, I give this to iPhone, it HAS faster processor right now vs. Snapdragon 845 on benchmark).

I'm not a fan boy, I go where the value is. Sadly, iPhone never give enough value for the same $ compare to the other flagships produced the same year. It's just the "luxury" factor like buying a luis vuiton bag.