House eaves color

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
PaulAtreides

House eaves color

Post by PaulAtreides » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Hello,

We are in the process of painting the exterior of our home (stucco). Its a light grey color. The trim will be a darker grey. The question is should the soffit (underside of the eave) be painted to match the trim and fascia or the main body color instead?

The eaves are wood, home is stucco. Its in SoCal.
The underside is really only visible if you walk towards the home.
2 floors.

Not sure which way to go, perhaps I am overthinking it.

Thank you!

Glockenspiel

Re: House eaves color

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:26 pm

My house siding or eaves aren’t wood, but the eaves are the same color as the house trim. I live in the upper Midwest.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Paint them to match the trim.

Yes, you are overthinking this.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:58 pm

I had a beige/brownish house with white trim and the eaves matched the color of the main house. It looked fine. This was just the underside of the roof with exposed sheathing and rafters.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:05 pm

PaulAtreides wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 pm
Hello,

We are in the process of painting the exterior of our home (stucco). Its a light grey color. The trim will be a darker grey. The question is should the soffit (underside of the eave) be painted to match the trim and fascia or the main body color instead?

The eaves are wood, home is stucco. Its in SoCal.
The underside is really only visible if you walk towards the home.
2 floors.

Not sure which way to go, perhaps I am overthinking it.

Thank you!

I over thunk it too.I walked around my neighborhood looking at the different combos of colors the neighbors choose then decided.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:24 pm

We have tall windows that expose the eave color when looking out into the garden. So... we painted our eaves the same color as our ceilings inside so that they would blend and disappear.

In some locals, the tradition is to paint eaves and porch ceilings a nice light 'sky blue'.

Or... paint them the house body (stucco) color, only 20% lighter, since they are in shadow.

My preference is that they be a lighter shade rather than a darker shade.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:28 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:58 pm
I had a beige/brownish house with white trim and the eaves matched the color of the main house. It looked fine. This was just the underside of the roof with exposed sheathing and rafters.
+1. Unless you have a one-level Craftsman bungalow or ornate rafter tails, not sure why you'd want to draw attention to the eaves.

Although reading the replies, I guess some folks are thinking more about their own view than what it looks like from the street.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

PaulAtreides

Post by PaulAtreides » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:44 pm

Thank you for the valuable feedback. Since we don't see any of the eaves from the inside and they are not deep (1 foot); will likely just paint them to match front fascia and trim.