Bike computer or Apple Watch?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
texasdiver

Bike computer or Apple Watch?

Post by texasdiver » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Need to replace my old Cateye bike computer and looking for sometime more modern that integrates with my phone. After looking around a bit it occurs to me that maybe an Apple Watch would work too.

I use the map my ride app on the phone to track my rides but keep my phone put away while riding so I’m basically looking for something to display basic data like speed and distance while I’m riding and maybe some health data like heart rate.

What do you guys use? Anyone cycling with an Apple Watch? If so how do you like it?

Point

Re: Bike computer or Apple Watch?

Post by Point » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:38 pm

I use it for this purpose and it works well.

beergod

Post by beergod » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:10 pm

I use a Wahoo Elemnt, I connect a power meter and chest strap heart rate monitor to it. Speed and distance are measured by the GPS receiver. There is a smaller version that appears to have a more accurate altimeter called the Elemnt Bolt, which costs $250. It is a steep entry fee if you are not a serious cyclist for a very specific tool, ie can't use anywhere else except for cycling.

There is a $100 Wahoo Elemnt Mini, which does not have GPS, so you would need to have a separate speed sensor in addition to the heart rate monitor required for both.

The advantage for having a bike computer is that these are always on and you simply look down to check your metrics.

I don't have an apple watch, but I can tell you that checking metrics would require taking your hands off the bars and somehow activating the watch's screen. The advantage seems to be that it is more multipurpose.

Depending on your cycling volume, if not very much, i would recommend buying something similar to a Cateye and get your Apple Watch for other reasons. If you are a more serious cyclist, the investment may be worthwhile, especially if GPS is important for navigation on a bike.

One useful website is www.dcrainmaker.com with reviews of cycling/running/fitness tech.

hfj

Post by hfj » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Sure, I've had riding buddies who do this, they seem relatively happy with it. A couple of them have opted for Garmin watches instead for battery life reasons, especially since one of them has gotten into triathlon.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 pm

I have an old Garmin non-GPS watch that connects to chest strap and sensors on crank arm and wheel. I like to see my heart rate and cadence. I also do not put watch on my wrist when I ride, but strap it to handlebar where it cycles through a set of custom displays quick enough so I don't have to wait to see something, but slow enough that I can read the numbers.

In addition, since I am always bringing my phone anyways, I usually, but not always, GPS track my route in the AllTrails app which has a "Lifeline" option to let my spouse know where I am.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:27 pm

I do have a garmin fenix but prefer using strava's app via iphone. Just get a phone adapter for your handlebars and carry your phone. Strava is fantastic.
Don't Work Forever.

Post by 123 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:49 pm

I tried using an app instead of a bike computer. The problem was that the app had a lot of "shiny" stuff like maps, etc. It was interesting the first few times but I went back to my cateye. It has all the numbers I want.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:37 am

Works fine. I use the iSmoothRun app which despite its name is a fairly powerful cycling tool. Completely customizable fields. Compatible with bluetooth HRM's and many power meters, etc. If you always carry your iPhone with you anyhow, the battery life of the Apple Watch will be quite good - should make it 10 hours or more of tracking since it will be using the phone's GPS which is the major drain on the watch.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:08 am

I use my Garmin watch (920 XT) as my bike computer. It hooks up to any sensors, HRM, Speed, cadence, and power. I have a bike computer, but I almost never use it anymore.

JeffAL

Post by JeffAL » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:24 am

I use a Garmin 230 to track my rides. Works great. Bought used off ebay for $100. I sync up to Strava.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:12 am

Apple Watch.

A bike computer is only useful while on the bike, while an Apple Watch is useful all of the time and can perform many of the same functions and much more.

Valjean

Post by Valjean » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:45 am

beergod wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:10 pm
The advantage for having a bike computer is that these are always on and you simply look down to check your metrics.

I don't have an apple watch, but I can tell you that checking metrics would require taking your hands off the bars and somehow activating the watch's screen. The advantage seems to be that it is more multipurpose.
The apple watch activates by raising your wrist up to look at it; you don't have to tap it to see the display once you turn on the app. I hear that on the new watch, it will automatically detect what type of physical activity you are doing without having to even turn it on.

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:49 am

Honestly, the Apple Watch is amazing, and a new version is around the corner. I recommended looking at one if you’re already an iPhone user.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:54 am

peterinjapan wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:49 am
Honestly, the Apple Watch is amazing, and a new version is around the corner. I recommended looking at one if you’re already an iPhone user.
+1, though give yourself 5 days if you can to check out the new release on Wednesday.

TrebleMaker

Post by TrebleMaker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:04 am

I purchased a refurbished Garmin Edge 25 on Amazon for around $100 that I've been very happy with. It's a tiny, relatively basic (compared to some of the more expensive Garmins) bike computer. It tells you your current speed, average speed, distance, time of day. The only thing I wish it did that it doesn't do is tell you your gradient when climbing. It connects via Bluetooth to your smartphone and the Garmin Connect app, which in turn syncs with Strava. The Garmin Connect app is excellent and user-friendly and allows you to browse various routes uploaded by other users, or create your own, then upload them to the Edge 25 for step by step navigation.
"The things you own end up owning you." -Tyler Durden

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks guys:

I'm kind of leaning towards checking out the new apple watch when it comes out. The price difference between the apple watch and the high-end smart bike computers from Garmin and Wahoo is not much. Some general comments about my experiences:

1. I ride 3 different bikes (road, mountain, and tandem) and swapping between them with a Cateye is problematic because each one has different size wheels. I also have several wheel sets for the mountain bike making the problem worse because I'd have to put magnets on each wheel set. That's why I'm interested in a GPS-based computer system rather than one based on wheel revolutions. Of course one could put a separate Cateye on each bike but then you don't get your aggregate information.

2. Not interested in mounting the phone on my handlebars. I've tried this several times with older versions of the iPhone. I find it too insecure when mountain biking, and when riding in Texas my phone would overheat and shut down when exposed to the direct Texas summer sun. Plus the phone display can be hard to see in the sun. Here in WA I just don't want to have it out in the rain and grime. I'd rather keep the phone in my bag or back jersey pocket and have a smaller brighter display on the bike that connects to the phone.

3. I ALWAYS ride with my phone. So it seems duplicative to purchase a bike computer with built-in GPS like the Garmin when I'm already carrying a state-of-the art GPS in the phone. Really all I need is some sort of handlebar display to give me speed, distance, and pace while the phone collects the mapping and other data. I haven't ever ridden with bio sensors like heart rate so I don't know if I really care about that. I mostly push myself by feel and ride for general fitness not anything competitive.

So the Apple Watch looks like something to at least check out. One assumes that it will have better iPhone integration than any 3rd party computer because that is the whole point of the device. Based on reading about other's using the Apple Watch for cycling it seems the main issue is keeping the display on if using it on a handlebar mount. Apparently there are various 3rd party mounting solutions to attach the apple watch to the handlebars. I guess you have to tap it to get it to turn on. But apparently there are settings one can adjust to make it work better off the wrist that people have written about on cycling blogs. Or I can just keep it on my wrist I guess but that gets tricky if, for example, you want to check your speed on a high-speed curvy descent.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Strapping an apple watch to your handlebars just to know how fast you are going seems dumb to me.

Firstly, who really cares how fast you are going? Secondly, that defeats the ability for the Apple Watch to record heart rate data.

I stopped caring about my speed, and now I've got a great feel for proper cadence too. It's liberating to just ride, and look at the electronic details later.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:02 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:26 pm

1. I ride 3 different bikes (road, mountain, and tandem)
Okay you have officially made my wife jealous. You have a tandem. If we had one we could go for a bike ride, and she wouldn't have to do anything.

:beer :P

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:31 pm

djpeteski wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:02 pm
texasdiver wrote:

1. I ride 3 different bikes (road, mountain, and tandem)
Okay you have officially made my wife jealous. You have a tandem. If we had one we could go for a bike ride, and she wouldn't have to do anything.

:beer :P
I can't get my wife to ride it. She wants to be on her own bike when we go out riding and doesn't want to look at my sweaty back.

I bought the tandem a few years ago when I did a long tour down the Pacific coast with my middle daughter who was 10 at the time and my dad who was about 75 and riding a recumbent. We rode from Astoria Oregon to San Francisco. I pulled a bob trailer with the gear. Climbing those mountains in northern CA with a child on a tandem pulling a trailer was some serious effort. Since then I don't ride it much except when we go out on family rides and I put the youngest girl behind me because she is a very unenthusiastic cyclist and would slow us too much otherwise.
Last edited by texasdiver on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:34 pm

RootSki wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:56 pm
Strapping an apple watch to your handlebars just to know how fast you are going seems dumb to me.

Firstly, who really cares how fast you are going? Secondly, that defeats the ability for the Apple Watch to record heart rate data.

I stopped caring about my speed, and now I've got a great feel for proper cadence too. It's liberating to just ride, and look at the electronic details later.
I'm usually more interested in distance and pace rather than instantaneous speed. If I'm riding a usual training route I like to know if I'm ahead or behind my usual pace. And if I'm out riding new terrain I like to know how far I've gone. That's about all I use it for.

ausmatt

Post by ausmatt » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:39 pm

I’ve pretty much moved to my Garmin watch solely for the bike. (I use a garmin fenix 5s, but any will do). One benefit is the ability to sync ANT+ sensors (in addition to Bluetooth) like cadence and speed with thewatch. I believe Apple is limited to only Bluetooth.

So make sure you to check any sensors you have.

I’ve used both and have gone the garmin route as it’s an overalll much better fitness watch and stays charged for days as opposed to the Apple. But Apple does a ton more than garmin outside of the fitness realm.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:44 pm

I went from a basic bike computer to a Garmin 735XT. This was after doing a ton of research and my price point of under $300. The Garmin fenix and 935 are nice, but expensive.

If this is purely for cycling and other sports, Apple isn't good for that stuff, Garmin is leaps and bounds ahead of Apple. Apple watches are good for texting, phone calls, looking trendy/hip, etc. but not so much for sports.

If you don't want garmin look at Suunto.

fljones3

Post by fljones3 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:55 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Thanks guys:

I'm kind of leaning towards checking out the new apple watch when it comes out. The price difference between the apple watch and the high-end smart bike computers from Garmin and Wahoo is not much. Some general comments about my experiences:

1. I ride 3 different bikes (road, mountain, and tandem) and swapping between them with a Cateye is problematic because each one has different size wheels. I also have several wheel sets for the mountain bike making the problem worse because I'd have to put magnets on each wheel set. That's why I'm interested in a GPS-based computer system rather than one based on wheel revolutions. Of course one could put a separate Cateye on each bike but then you don't get your aggregate information.

2. Not interested in mounting the phone on my handlebars. I've tried this several times with older versions of the iPhone. I find it too insecure when mountain biking, and when riding in Texas my phone would overheat and shut down when exposed to the direct Texas summer sun. Plus the phone display can be hard to see in the sun. Here in WA I just don't want to have it out in the rain and grime. I'd rather keep the phone in my bag or back jersey pocket and have a smaller brighter display on the bike that connects to the phone.

3. I ALWAYS ride with my phone. So it seems duplicative to purchase a bike computer with built-in GPS like the Garmin when I'm already carrying a state-of-the art GPS in the phone. Really all I need is some sort of handlebar display to give me speed, distance, and pace while the phone collects the mapping and other data. I haven't ever ridden with bio sensors like heart rate so I don't know if I really care about that. I mostly push myself by feel and ride for general fitness not anything competitive.

So the Apple Watch looks like something to at least check out. One assumes that it will have better iPhone integration than any 3rd party computer because that is the whole point of the device. Based on reading about other's using the Apple Watch for cycling it seems the main issue is keeping the display on if using it on a handlebar mount. Apparently there are various 3rd party mounting solutions to attach the apple watch to the handlebars. I guess you have to tap it to get it to turn on. But apparently there are settings one can adjust to make it work better off the wrist that people have written about on cycling blogs. Or I can just keep it on my wrist I guess but that gets tricky if, for example, you want to check your speed on a high-speed curvy descent.
I would just get a Wahoo Element Bolt and be done with it. I tried a Garmin watch when I first got into cycling 3 years ago. Quickly gave it up for the simplicity of the GPS mounted in front of you. Easy to see. Always on. Easy to set up. Can get texts, emails, or phone calls on it if you take your phone with you. Mounting a phone runs into heat and battery issues, let alone rain.

FIBoston

Post by FIBoston » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:07 pm

Garmin Fenix 3HR or Garmin Fenix 5. MUCH longer battery life than Apple Watch, far more durable, and (I personally feel) much better looking than the Apple Watch. My cyclist friends either ride with it on their risk or a few of them attach it to the handle bar and wear a Garmin chest strap to monitor heart rate.

marti038

Post by marti038 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:31 pm

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 and I absolutely love it.

They're up to a Fenix 5 now, but if I were in the market that's what I'd get.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:13 pm

fljones3 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:55 pm
texasdiver wrote:
Thanks guys:

I would just get a Wahoo Element Bolt and be done with it. I tried a Garmin watch when I first got into cycling 3 years ago. Quickly gave it up for the simplicity of the GPS mounted in front of you. Easy to see. Always on. Easy to set up. Can get texts, emails, or phone calls on it if you take your phone with you. Mounting a phone runs into heat and battery issues, let alone rain.
I just watched the Element promo video and it does look pretty much exactly like what I'm looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... fObvurlt4Y

Does the Element require any bike-mounted sensors for anything other than cadence (which I don't care about?). In other words can I swap it between bikes easily?

fljones3

Post by fljones3 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:23 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:13 pm
fljones3 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:55 pm
texasdiver wrote:
Thanks guys:

I just watched the Element promo video and it does look pretty much exactly like what I'm looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... fObvurlt4Y

Does the Element require any bike-mounted sensors for anything other than cadence (which I don't care about?). In other words can I swap it between bikes easily?
You would need the cadence/speed sensor in order to determine speed (which you probably do want). Easiest cadence is between 85-95. I keep 90+. Other than the cadence/speed sensor you don’t have to have anything else. I have a power meter (which has cadence/speed built in) and a heart sensor. That’s it.

The bigger element and then the element bolt (which is a smaller version, same software) are the options. Many times you can get them at a discount. I have the smaller element bolt.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:25 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:34 pm
RootSki wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:56 pm

I'm usually more interested in distance and pace rather than instantaneous speed. If I'm riding a usual training route I like to know if I'm ahead or behind my usual pace. And if I'm out riding new terrain I like to know how far I've gone. That's about all I use it for.
Strava for Apple Watch doesn’t give you segment pace details. Distance, speed and bpm.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:52 am

+1 Apple Watch. My old model 0 Apple Watch would run out of batteries after 30 miles of riding but my new series 3 (non cellular) has over 60% battery after 43 miles.

I also use airpods to listen to audiobooks (using my phone as the source) during my rides. Works great and never fell out while riding.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:01 am

Cadence is the most important info for non-mountain bike riding IMO. Cadence is what can make a rider efficient. I do not know of anything other than a bike computer that tracks cadence but I am not up on all of the newest toys. In fact, cadence is the only info that I really need during a ride when you get right down to it.

Heart rate is nice but I rely on my fitbit and only check it occasionally to see if I am in the training zone, most rides I don't have a use for the info as I can feel when I am working. I only check for speed when my ego requires it and that is usually a sign that I am going to fast. I have an app called cyclemeter on my phone for looking at intervals, aspect and decent, and map of ride when done. It sends me an email with a link to the info online after my ride. It was either free or very cheap and it has worked great for several years.

FWIW, I would continue with a bike computer for your non-mountain bikes.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:36 am

Bike computer. A watch collects sweat around my wrist.
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:49 am

texasdiver wrote:

I should have pointed out that both my garmin bike computer and watch auto sets the wheel size. You can manually override it, but I think it uses GPS and other metrics to calculate the wheel size. I believe there is a difference between my watch and bike computer and I am not sure which is more accurate.

David0518

Post by David0518 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:59 am

I absolutely love how my Apple Watch integrates with a lot of things. Plus, you'll receive a lot more perks than just use for your biking.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:16 am

WhyNotUs wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:01 am
Cadence is the most important info for non-mountain bike riding IMO. Cadence is what can make a rider efficient. I do not know of anything other than a bike computer that tracks cadence but I am not up on all of the newest toys. In fact, cadence is the only info that I really need during a ride when you get right down to it.

Heart rate is nice but I rely on my fitbit and only check it occasionally to see if I am in the training zone, most rides I don't have a use for the info as I can feel when I am working. I only check for speed when my ego requires it and that is usually a sign that I am going to fast. I have an app called cyclemeter on my phone for looking at intervals, aspect and decent, and map of ride when done. It sends me an email with a link to the info online after my ride. It was either free or very cheap and it has worked great for several years.

This. Cadence plus Power in watts would be best combination. I've been focusing solely on Cadence during my rides, and trying to keep it between the range that I have targetted for myself, and it has worked wonders. The only other thing missing is Power output to ensure that I am also putting in right amount of power in watts for the given cadence. I need a power meter badly. Once the ride is over, everything is automatically linked to Strava where I can see avg speed, how I compared with others for the strava segments, elevation gain, calories, so on. I don't typically look at speed during a ride, unless I feel it is dropping below normal range.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:49 pm

While I agree with Elysium, the fact the OP uses several bikes makes watts metering less practical than cadence. At least with the technology that I am aware of.

Elysium wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:16 am
WhyNotUs wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:01 am

This. Cadence plus Power in watts would be best combination. I've been focusing solely on Cadence during my rides, and trying to keep it between the range that I have targetted for myself, and it has worked wonders. The only other thing missing is Power output to ensure that I am also putting in right amount of power in watts for the given cadence. I need a power meter badly. Once the ride is over, everything is automatically linked to Strava where I can see avg speed, how I compared with others for the strava segments, elevation gain, calories, so on. I don't typically look at speed during a ride, unless I feel it is dropping below normal range.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Power >>> cadence for utility. You can actually ignore cadence when training by power.

Assioma power meter pedals swap between bike quickly but are 750$

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:52 am

WhyNotUs wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:49 pm
While I agree with Elysium, the fact the OP uses several bikes makes watts metering less practical than cadence. At least with the technology that I am aware of.
There are power meters that can be changed quickly between bikes. Pedal based mentioned above is one of them. DCRainmaker (dcrainmaker.com) has a whole set of them reviewed.

If having power then almost none of the other measures are needed is what I hear from expert opinions, almost across the board. My next set of additions are going to be a power meter and an aero wheel.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:28 am

Elysium wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:52 am
WhyNotUs wrote:
There are power meters that can be changed quickly between bikes. Pedal based mentioned above is one of them. DCRainmaker (dcrainmaker.com) has a whole set of them reviewed.

If having power then almost none of the other measures are needed is what I hear from expert opinions, almost across the board. My next set of additions are going to be a power meter and an aero wheel.
out of curiosity, are you considering racing? If so, which discipline (Mass start road/Tri/TT/something else)? There may be a few things that give you a better ROI than aero wheels do

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:17 am

I just use a Garmin forerunner 35. It has heart rate built in. I generally know my heart rate based on breathing tho, so I pretty much just use it for checking current distance.

If I were checking my watts, I'd definitely want a Garmin edge or mount a watch or phone to the handlebars... I no longer have a power meter tho, so the forerunner works for me.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:24 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:28 am
Elysium wrote:
WhyNotUs wrote:

out of curiosity, are you considering racing? If so, which discipline (Mass start road/Tri/TT/something else)? There may be a few things that give you a better ROI than aero wheels do
No, I am not racing, and at my age (nearing 50) not trying to go too fast either. Mid-profile Aero wheels are all I am interested in, just for some incremental improvements, so that when the gap opens up in the group I don't feel like it's because they all have aero and I am not :)

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Elysium wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:24 pm
InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:28 am
Elysium wrote:
WhyNotUs wrote:

No, I am not racing, and at my age (nearing 50) not trying to go too fast either. Mid-profile Aero wheels are all I am interested in, just for some incremental improvements, so that when the gap opens up in the group I don't feel like it's because they all have aero and I am not :)
gotcha, and good on you to be out there :)

a few things for your consideration, if you current wheels are anything like a Flo 30 wheel, the improvements afforded by deeper wheels (in the 50-60 mm range) are marginal at best. If you haven't already done so, each of the following would help more than or would be comparable to the gains you receive by riding mid-profile wheels: leg shaving, aero road helmet, aero road handlebars, and tight-fitting cloth. That said, wheels do look nicer. Feel free to PM me re: aero optimizations
Last edited by InvisibleAerobar on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:14 pm

peterinjapan wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:49 am
What is so amazing about the watch?
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:16 am

How quickly this has escalated from replacing an old cyclemeter to $750 pedals that require changing before a ride and charging :-)

As long as we are making things way too complicated, there may be a triathlete watch out there that would work for scuba and biking :beer

Good luck Texasdiver!
Elysium wrote:
WhyNotUs wrote:

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:39 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:16 am
How quickly this has escalated from replacing an old cyclemeter to $750 pedals that require changing before a ride and charging :-)

As long as we are making things way too complicated, there may be a triathlete watch out there that would work for scuba and biking :beer

Good luck Texasdiver!
Elysium wrote:
WhyNotUs wrote:

To be fair though, a $750 state of the art pedal based powermeter is a very good investment for a serious cyclist who rides regular and wants to actively improve. It's important enough that many cycling coaches will base their entire training program around the watts measured by your powermeter.

A powermeter + plan will make FARRRRR more of a difference to the typical rider than upgrading from an entry level $750 bike to a $20k uberprobike with all the aerodynamic/carbon stuff.

But yeah, a casual rider will have no need for a powermeter!

alexander29

Post by alexander29 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Another + for Apple Watch. It does a lot of other things too. It even tells time!

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:03 pm

And, oh my, a new Apple Watch was just announced.

queso

Post by queso » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:04 pm

lightheir wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:39 pm
WhyNotUs wrote:

Good luck Texasdiver!
Elysium wrote:
WhyNotUs wrote:

To be fair though, a $750 state of the art pedal based powermeter is a very good investment for a serious cyclist who rides regular and wants to actively improve. It's important enough that many cycling coaches will base their entire training program around the watts measured by your powermeter.

A powermeter + plan will make FARRRRR more of a difference to the typical rider than upgrading from an entry level $750 bike to a $20k uberprobike with all the aerodynamic/carbon stuff.

Losing weight and logging more miles is probably the biggest upgrade, but nobody wants to hear that. They would rather buy Zipp wheels, ceramic bearings and Dura-Ace Di2.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:27 pm

queso wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:04 pm
lightheir wrote:
WhyNotUs wrote:

Good luck Texasdiver!
Elysium wrote:
WhyNotUs wrote:

Losing weight and logging more miles is probably the biggest upgrade, but nobody wants to hear that. They would rather buy Zipp wheels, ceramic bearings and Dura-Ace Di2.
They are all not mutually exclusive though. Everything matters. Losing weight and keeping it at a target rate, and spending time on the saddle matters a lot. Diet is also very important, and I find that if I go sloppy with my diet one week that affects my performance by 10% right away. So, no two scoops ice creams on the weekend when I am training for a century ride with significant amount of climbing. I just finished a century two weeks back and slacked on the diet soon after, not a lot but just a bit and right away suffered in performance next week. I wonder what others do with their diet for top performance?

That said, wheels and power meter are good additions, I look at the HRM on long century rides to ensure I am still within the range, that tells me how much I can push or not, especially on long climbs, but if I have power then that's even better. I've been looking at the Assioma Pedals for over a year now and probably buy next season. Wheels are nice to have, they are a high value upgrade from stock wheels, they help go that extra bit after you have done everything else. That's how I look at it. Before I purchased the wheel, I could do many things, which I have done this year mostly in terms of losing weight and keeping it there, watching the diet, putting time in the saddle, trying different terrains, etc.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:00 am

queso wrote:
lightheir wrote:
WhyNotUs wrote:

Good luck Texasdiver!
Elysium wrote:
WhyNotUs wrote:

OP here. I could most definitely lose weight, log more miles, and get into better shape. However I have also been riding for a long time and have come to appreciate riding a higher-end bicycle with good componentry just for the enjoyment of riding a finely engineered and finely tuned machine. I just appreciate lightweight equipment that works well. I could get just as good of a workout by hopping on my wife's 15 year old "hybrid" bike with heavy spring suspension fork and 26" wheels but it would be much less enjoyable. I ride to put in a couple of hours of decent exercise and don't really have any other goal in mind.

It's just like cars or phones or anything else. There is a certain amount of basic function that you need. Everything else above that is simply convenience and aesthetic preference.

queso

Post by queso » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:00 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:00 am
queso wrote:
lightheir wrote:
WhyNotUs wrote:

Good luck Texasdiver!
Elysium wrote:

OP here. I could most definitely lose weight, log more miles, and get into better shape. However I have also been riding for a long time and have come to appreciate riding a higher-end bicycle with good componentry just for the enjoyment of riding a finely engineered and finely tuned machine. I just appreciate lightweight equipment that works well. I could get just as good of a workout by hopping on my wife's 15 year old "hybrid" bike with heavy spring suspension fork and 26" wheels but it would be much less enjoyable. I ride to put in a couple of hours of decent exercise and don't really have any other goal in mind.

It's just like cars or phones or anything else. There is a certain amount of basic function that you need. Everything else above that is simply convenience and aesthetic preference.
Agreed.. I could stand to do all those things, but you just can't beat the feeling of a nice bike! As an added plus, nice bike plus periodic upgrades has the added effect of making me get out and ride so I can test said upgrades. :happy