Toilet Makes A Flushing Sound Occasionally

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SVariance1

Toilet Makes A Flushing Sound Occasionally

Post by SVariance1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:19 am

I wanted to see if anyone could identify what the cause of my toilet issue might be? My toilet will occasionally make a noise that sounds like the tank is filling. Then, water slowly goes into the toilet for about 5 seconds and stops. My guess is that either there is an issue with the flapper or the flush valve. I can try to adjust the flapper or get a new one. If it is the flush valve, I would need to call a plumber. Thank you.
Mike

Dfgdfg

Re: Toilet Makes A Flushing Sound Occasionally

Post by Dfgdfg » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:22 am

It is most likely the flapper. Put in a new one. Takes a minute and costs a couple of dollars.

carolc

Post by carolc » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:32 am

The toilets (3 of them) at my previous house made that sound.I never did anything about it.The toilets at my current home don’t have this issue.

carolc

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:51 am

Common issue. Remove the flapper and clean any crud off it. If that doesn't work, replace it.

This is often caused by people putting a powerful toilet bowl chemical dispenser in the tank, which eats away at the flap.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:05 am

Dfgdfg wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:22 am
It is most likely the flapper. Put in a new one. Takes a minute and costs a couple of dollars.
+1

Take out the old flapper and bring it to HD for an exact match. Then put the new one in. Problem should be solved. Good luck.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:08 am

Most likely the flapper but check the float level too.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:20 am

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:24 am

Dfgdfg wrote:
Flappers have an expected life of 5-10 years.

If you have more than one toilet, change them all. Don't bother with trying to clean the current flapper, but it may be necessary to use some fine sandpaper or steel wool to polish the area where the flapper makes contact with the tank drain.

Ralph

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:37 am

You might edit the title to say that water runs into your toilet tank occasionally. I've never heard of a toilet that makes a flushing sound occasionally, that would be something very different.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:00 am

Go to Walmart to buy a new flapper for less than $2 and it takes 5 minutes to replace the old one. I had similar problems in the past few years for the toilets in my house.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:05 am

Flappers are made of some kind of silicone rubber stuff that gradually hardens over time. Fresh new ones are soft and floppy and almost sticky, and will seal even if there are specks of dirt or it didn't fall down perfectly aligned. Older ones won't. Also, the valve, depending on mysteries of its mechanical design, may normally be sitting on the hairy edge of "just barely closed," and a tiny bump or shock may cause a ripple in the tank water, causing the float to bob slightly, causing a little hiss as the valve opens a bit and a little bit of water is released. Open the tank, give the float a gentle tap, and see if the slight release of water is creating the same kind of sound you are hearing.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:08 am

carolc wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:32 am
The toilets (3 of them) at my previous house made that sound.I never did anything about it.
OP probably will want to correct the issue, though. Apart from possibly being irritated at the sound, this is a sign of a water leak internal to the toilet, which will run up the water bill eventually.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 am

SVariance1 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:19 am
I wanted to see if anyone could identify what the cause of my toilet issue might be? My toilet will occasionally make a noise that sounds like the tank is filling. Then, water slowly goes into the toilet for about 5 seconds and stops. My guess is that either there is an issue with the flapper or the flush valve. I can try to adjust the flapper or get a new one. If it is the flush valve, I would need to call a plumber. Thank you.
The flapper is leaking, causing water from the tank to drain into the bowl, thence the sewer. The fill valve opens to refill the tank, which you hear.

It eventually will get worse, and wastes water.

If you can’t find an exact flapper replacement, buy the Korky Universal Flapper from your local hardware or home store. A couple of bucks, and you can replace yourself without tools (maybe pliers to help detach / attach the chain easily). See YouTube videos if you need help.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:20 am

Flapper - easy, no tools. Change it anyway. Buy a quality one. Cheap ones use stiff materials and don't seal well.
Flush valve - if the type that uses a floater ball on a stem, replace with an antisiphon modern valve. Turn off water supply valve below toilet. Then follow directions. Only need a channel lock pliers. Adjust water height after install.
j

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:43 am

Newer toilets have a larger flush valve/flapper. Inspect what you have before you go shopping. Put food coloring in the tank and observe if water in bowl changes color. That indicates flush valve or flapper leaking.

ems2013

Post by ems2013 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:27 am

SquawkIdent wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:05 am
Dfgdfg wrote:
+1

Take out the old flapper and bring it to HD for an exact match. Then put the new one in. Problem should be solved. Good luck.
+1 Make sure you get the exact match. Takes just a minute to replace.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:31 am

As everyone has stated, the flapper is most likely cause. I did have one toilet that made my scratch my head when I replaced the flapper and it did not fix it. In that case it turned out to be the tank to bowl gasket. It had deteriorated and even with the flapper closed water was getting by it. I was able to do it my self and I'm not that much of a handyman. :sharebeer
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

bryanm

Post by bryanm » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:41 am

tibbitts wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:37 am
You might edit the title to say that water runs into your toilet tank occasionally. I've never heard of a toilet that makes a flushing sound occasionally, that would be something very different.
Mine makes this sound every time I push the little lever.

... Sorry. Couldn't resist.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:01 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:37 am
It likely makes a "small" flushing sound. When enough water leaks into the bowl such that the tank floater hits its mark there might be a small flush sound.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Great thread.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:28 pm

I remember seeing a toilet with a button on the lid.
Makes a sound like a jet taking off when flushing.
Very very powerful, maybe too powerful? Sort of "plug proof".
Not sure if that type of toilet is used anymore.

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:54 pm

As others have said, likely a flapper that is leaking slowly.

Some toilet flush valves are designed to make that flushing sound to give an audible indication that the flapper is leaking. The water in the tank has to drop a certain amount before the valve opens to refill the tank. The water rushes in, making that flushing sound to warn you of the slow leak.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:01 pm

We had the exact same problem with two toilets in the house. I spoke to a friend who owns a hardware store and he said the same as most here - replace the flapper. He also gave me some blue tabs to put in the tank to confirm the replaced flapper fixed the leak. Basically what is going on is the tank is slowly leaking water. As the level drops, the float eventually opens the line to bring in water to fill back up to the proper level. So, it's more a partial flush or short running period. Over and over, and over again.

WE had two toilets leaking. My water bill went down about $10 a month after replacing the clappers.

Teague

Post by Teague » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:27 pm

As others have, it is almost certainly the fault of the flapper, which should ideally perform within prescribed norms. But flappers are, of course, notorious for behaving otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapper
Semper Augustus

bryanm

Post by bryanm » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Teague wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:27 pm
As others have, it is almost certainly the fault of the flapper, which should ideally perform within prescribed norms. But flappers are, of course, notorious for behaving otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapper
With loose flappers everywhere, sometimes it feels like our society is really going down the drain.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:01 pm

I once replaced everything in the toilet tank only to have the tank still lose water. I didn't believe it but as the vendor of the new parts told me, the tank gasket was bad. I didn't believe it because I thought with a bad tank gasket the water would leak outside the toilet, but not true. So while I used to always say the flapper or the float was bad, now I know it can be the tank gasket too.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 am

Many posts here. The most probable and easiest fix was to replace the stopper valve. With this fix so very simple and easy, I am wondering what the OP has done. Have you tried this?

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:41 am

SquawkIdent wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:05 am
I used to do that. Last time I was just about to do the same thing but instead used my cell phone to take a picture. The toilet remained functional while I was about and about looking for parts.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:42 am

Duplicate!
Last edited by bertilak on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:47 am

glad i found this...having the same issue. Hopefully this fixes my problem.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:43 am

I have this problem but the flapper is an older model and is incompatible with any replacements I can find. I bought the whole replacement kit that requires taking the reservoir off the bowl. However, the 4 bolts holding the toilet together are perished and if I try to unfasten the screws, the screw breaks apart.

Any suggestions?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Another possibility is the chain attached to the flapper might have a kink in it stopping it from closing completely.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:40 pm

bryanm wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks for the giggle, Bryanm! That was my first thought too when I saw the thread title, but didn't have the guts to say so.
OP, I'm no pro so I defer to others, but I'm guessing it's a simple flapper issue as others have suggested.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Another hint: Buy two flappers and keep one for a spare. That way, you don't have to go get a new one right away.

Blue tabs? Oh, you mean food coloring drops.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:22 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:43 am
I have this problem but the flapper is an older model and is incompatible with any replacements I can find. I bought the whole replacement kit that requires taking the reservoir off the bowl. However, the 4 bolts holding the toilet together are perished and if I try to unfasten the screws, the screw breaks apart.

Any suggestions?
If the only problem is the old bolts breaking you are in good shape. New brass bolts are available at home depot or lowes. Careful not to crack tank. A new complete toilet for $200 may be a good solution if it is that old. Newer model use less water and are ADA height friendly. Get a toilet with a 3 or 4 inch flush valve. It will suck the waste down easily.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks to this thread I investigated some of the problems my toilet has been experiencing, and a new flapper fixed them. Pro tip: if you have an older toilet, make sure you use a flapper designed for older toilets. And if you have hard water or lots of sediment in your water, if you have troubles try cleaning the flapper and the rim beneath it to ensure a water-tight seal when the flapper is closed.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 pm

When I replaced the flapper in one of our two toilets, I should have replaced it in both toilets; the second one needed replacing within 6 months. They were exactly the same age.

Learned my lesson.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:27 am

SoAnyway wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:40 pm
bryanm wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks for the giggle, Bryanm! That was my first thought too when I saw the thread title, but didn't have the guts to say so.
OP, I'm no pro so I defer to others, but I'm guessing it's a simple flapper issue as others have suggested.
There's an easy fix fix for that. Don't push the little lever.

... Couldn't resist that either. :wink:
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.