Free credit freezes and un-freezes after Sep 21, 2018

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
VictoriaF

Free credit freezes and un-freezes after Sep 21, 2018

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:33 am

My source is Brian Krebs: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/09/in- ... -fee-free/

Read his post and follow his links:
- CFPB - guide to agencies collecting consumer information [PDF]: https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201 ... panies.pdf
- Krebs's May 2018 article about NCTUE collecting consumer information: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/05/ano ... nctue-com/

Read comments:
- Krebs's readers reveal various difficulties with setting and removing freezes.
- One person writes that you may be able to place a free freeze now, before September 21, because credit reporting agencies are rolling them state by state.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Housedoc

Re: Free credit freezes and un-freezes after Sep 21, 2018

Post by Housedoc » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:35 am

Long overdue. My state was changed $10 per agency.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:42 am

Thanks for posting. I was wondering when it took effect.

I haven't frozen credit yet, but I may do so after this is in effect.

damjam

Post by damjam » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:03 am

This is great.
My spouse and I froze our credit after the whole Equifax (or was it Experian?) debacle.
I have had to unfreeze mine it on two occasions since then. Once all three credit reporting companies and the second time just one of the companies. It seemed relatively painless. Both times I unfroze for a limited time period, so I didn't have to do anything to refreeze.
The fee is/was an annoyance.
I have yet to try to get a free credit report since freezing, so I'm wondering how well that will go. It's coming up on a year, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:11 am

I have gotten free credit reports from all three companies since the freeze.

No problems getting the reports. And it is so comforting to see the phrase of security freeze on each report.

P.s. Many thanks to Victoria for the PSA.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:17 am

My question is will the credit bureau's be reimbursing folks for all the fees paid prior to this to freeze and unfreeze our accounts? Maybe the credit card companies should get involved in this too because the the freezes were caused by negligence by the bureau's.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:58 am

SquawkIdent wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:17 am
My question is will the credit bureau's be reimbursing folks for all the fees paid prior to this to freeze and unfreeze our accounts? Maybe the credit card companies should get involved in this too because the the freezes were caused by negligence by the bureau's.
I agree with what you said, but I don't think the CBs will be required to reimburse fees collected prior to 9/21.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:24 am

Will wait before freezing, to find out how 'unfreezing' goes for others.

Free is generally good though. I doubt unfreezing will be any worse under 'free' than 'fee'.

elderwise

Post by elderwise » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:15 am

An interesting twist to this good thing' , and what I also read in the comment on the linked blog article.

It will become easier , to the crooks / ID thieves as well to place such freezes / unfreeze on our CR's - how will this be countered?

Thoughts?

camillus

Post by camillus » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:24 am

DW and I froze all credit (including Chexis and Innovis) after the Equifax breach, paying various fees.

Since then we have done a "temporary thaw" once each. It was actually fairly painless. In the "temporary thaw" process you simply go to the website, enter your PIN, and select how long you would like your reports unfrozen. When the re-freeze date comes, your reports are frozen again without any action on your part. I'd estimate it took 15-20 minutes to do a temporary thaw.

One temporary thaw was required when we switched broadband internet providers. A switch to a mobile phone provider would also require access to your credit report.

I set up a mysocialsecurity account for myself during a thaw, but I missed the window for DW. So if I want to set that up, I would have to initiate a thaw on her side. So I suppose this whole deal is a bit of a pain.

I'd rather be frozen than not though. It seems like every week I get notified of another breach or that one of my accounts is listed in the dark web somewhere. Identity theft would be a LOT more of a pain than freezing/unfreezing.

Also, I have some peace of mind with creditkarma.com. I get an email when something changes with my credit reports, and can view my full reports at any time with Equifax and Transunion, I believe.

AJS

Post by AJS » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:34 am

elderwise wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:15 am
An interesting twist to this good thing' , and what I also read in the comment on the linked blog article.

It will become easier , to the crooks / ID thieves as well to place such freezes / unfreeze on our CR's - how will this be countered?

Thoughts?
The thought is that if crooks have someone's information and find out that there is a security freeze, then they just give up and move to the next person who may not have their credit file frozen. Crooks typically go for the easy targets. Also, there is an 11 digit code that only you know which is needed to thaw your credit. The number is obviously stored on the rating agencies servers so it can be stolen but this would be a deterrent as well. My opinion is that it is best to have a freeze in place.
The sea was angry that day my friends...

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:47 am

elderwise wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:15 am

Thoughts?
This is a case, similar to creating your online IRS and Social Security accounts, where you should place a freeze as soon as possible before crooks have done it for you. After you have a freeze, others can't do it on your behalf.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:33 am

- One person writes that you may be able to place a free freeze now, before September 21, because credit reporting agencies are rolling them state by state.
I thawed and then froze all three of my accounts two weeks ago without any fees. I was surprised at the time. Hadn't heard about this until now.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 am

I froze my and my partners' credit at Innovis, Transunion, Experian & Equifax.
Recently I needed to unfreeze for a credit card. Called Transunion, entered SSN and PIN# and specified # of days I wanted the thaw.
All automated.
Went fine, took 2 minutes (one to find the paper I made with all the pin#s and phone #s/websites).