Low pay and low stress jobs with health benefit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Amy2017

Low pay and low stress jobs with health benefit

Post by Amy2017 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:13 pm

I have been unhappy about my current job for a long time. I used to enjoy it until I had my current boss. Based on the retirement calculator, we should be able to retire now. However, like many people mentioned here, health insurance is a fear factor and we still have many years to go before we are eligible for Medicare. Currently my husband's job does not offer health benefit. So I am the only one responsible for our family's health insurance. As much as I dislike my job, I don't plan to quit my current job voluntarily. But if I do get laid off, I would like to find a low stress job with health insurance next time. Pay is not an important consideration.

A friend suggests me to look at job listings in county school system. I notice some school clerk jobs pay around 30K to 40K. With the summer off and paid health insurance, it seems a dream job for me. I have never worked in a school environment before. Not sure whether that is the right expectation. Are school clerk jobs really low stress? With salary that low, I hope they are. Sometimes I wonder whether it is because I know we are now financially independent, therefore I have a low tolerance for stress these days.
Last edited by Amy2017 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Watty

Re: Low pay and low stress jobs with health benefit

Post by Watty » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:20 pm

I have known people that were school bus drivers or worked in a school cafeteria as a bridge job to retirement to get the benefits so you might look at those positions too.
Amy2017 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:13 pm
I have been unhappy about my current job for a long time. I used to enjoy it until I had my current boss.
You might look for a similar job at a different company.

J295

Post by J295 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Have you investigated the affordable care act? Many of us who retired early have coverage through the ACA. Many of us are also able to manage income to qualify for substantial premium tax credit. In our case, for example, the total yearly premium is approximately $24,000 of which we pay $500 with balance being paid by premium tax credit.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:58 pm

People have different ideas on what constitutes “low stress.”

For instance, some would consider a job that lets you work 8 hours a day without any additional hours required as low stress. But what if that job required you to do the same monotonous task for 8 hours? For some people, that would be high stress. Or what if the job required you to deal with people’s complaints for 8 hours and you were an introvert? Of if it required that you sit at a desk for 8 hours and you like physical activity?

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:31 am

My wife works in a public elementary school.. First off, be aware that some of the office staff admin jobs are year round and don’t get ‘summers off’ like the teachers. Oh and the health insurance, being town funded, is not subsidized like a corporate plan. You will get to buy the group rate, but will have to pay nearly all the premium so it’s as expensive as cobra. Many school employees get insurance from a spouse who works in another field.

And on top of that, any role at the school which is public facing will fill your day dealing with irate helicopter parents demanding special treatment for their little angels.

Now if you can deal with that, one positive is that school jobs sometimes have a lot of retirement options- my wife has a pension, a 493b AND a 457... so you can use the squeeze in a few more years of super saving if desired.

Good luck.

student

Post by student » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 am

I think one's personality is a big factor of the stress level. I have a job that most would consider low stress (tenured professor) but since I am a pessimist, it is stressful regardless.

Amy2017

Post by Amy2017 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:23 am

Thank you so much for the replies. My husband and I are in our early 50s and late 40s, so this job will be a long-term job, not just a short-term bridge job. Our net income from our rentals are at least 100K a year. So even without my husband and I working, our income will not qualify us for ACA subsides.

I work in IT, so a similar job will most likely be stressful as well, especially at the beginning of a new IT job. That is the reason I am hesitate to find a similar job in the same field. When I was much younger, I enjoyed the challenge. It seems when I get older, I starts to lose the edge, passion, and motivation. What I want is to be able to take a long vacation in the summer with my kids without worrying about how behind I am at work and study. Since the pay is decent with benefit, I don't think I could pull the trigger without regret. So getting laid off is the only option. Sometimes I wonder if I am not even afraid of getting laid off, why I still feel stressful at my work or taking criticism from my boss? Is it human nature or something wrong with me?
Last edited by Amy2017 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

student

Post by student » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:31 am

Amy2017 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:23 am
Sometimes I wonder if I am not even afraid of getting laid off, why I still feel stressful at my work or taking criticism from my boss? It is human nature or something wrong with me.
There is nothing wrong with you. (Otherwise, something wrong with me too.) I think it is just one's personality.

alec

Post by alec » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:41 am

My wife worked as a library assistant for a year in my daughter's middle school recently. She didn't deal with any parents, but the teachers and principal were easy to work with. The kids were middle schoolers, so anyone that has those knows what they're like, but she's been dealing with my two kids (middle school and high school), so the kids weren't hard to deal with. :D

However, like most jobs anywhere, her immediate coworker - i.e. the librarian - was the source of all the stress. So, what should've been a pretty low stress job wasn't really.

The benefits were excellent though. The county/school board picked up 90-95% of the health/dental/vision premiums, but, as jharkin's experience shows, this various by school district/town/city/state.

-Alec
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:35 am

Amy2017 wrote:
school cleric jobs
Just FYI, I think you mean "clerk" rather than "cleric", which is a minister, pastor, priest, rabbi, imam, etc. :wink:
jharkin wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:31 am
some of the office staff admin jobs are year round and don’t get ‘summers off’ like the teachers.
I suspect a big factor here is whether the job is in the school system's central office or in a school; also on what kind of school: elementary, middie or high school. My mother was a secretary in various elementary schools in our smallish Midwestern city. She had summers off, but had to work for about a week after classes ended in June and a week or two before classes started in the fall.
Last edited by 22twain on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

MSchleicher

Post by MSchleicher » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:40 am

Depending on the school and their staff, the environment can be very stressful or very carefree. As a former teacher, the office staff and administration can make you love or hate your job. My mother-in-law is a secretary and absolutely loves where she works. Other secretaries I've worked with in the past dreaded the school's administration and/or administrative secretary and couldn't wait to look for another job. Something to keep in mind is that middle school and high school secretaries tend to be more departmentalized in their workload than elementary school secretaries.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:51 am

haven't done it, but do contemplate it.

I knew someone pre-Great Recession that said that Home Depot had good part-time benefits, and was a good work situation.

Earlier this year I spotted a job working for the county that I live in: a clerk working every other week, in an office that keeps property records. "part time benefited" - I wasn't ready to leap, but it was really tempting!

Tourne

Post by Tourne » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:44 am

My mother retired a few years ago from a 25+ year career as an assistant in an elementary school. Part of the reason she took the job in the first place was the health care benefits, since my father was self-employed. Now they have those same benefits in their retirement, and my mother marvels at how much the other retirees in her area pay for health insurance. She also saves a huge amount of time, as all of those other retirees spend hours online and on the phone trying to figure out what their benefits are, and arguing about what will/will not be covered by their insurance vs. medicare. All this to say, it was a very good choice for my mother to make in the long-term. It would be worth checking how long you need to be in this particular school system before you are eligible for health care benefits in retirement.

Based on my mother's experience, it was the adults, not the kids, who were the main source of stress in her work life (while my sister and I managed to be the main source of stress in her private life :D ). There was certainly the occasional bad apple among the kids, but they moved on to middle school after a couple of years. The adults, however, rarely moved, since a school job was seen as "safe", the health care benefits were (as mentioned) very good, and it was next to impossible to get someone out once they had tenure. Some of the teachers in my mother's school were very difficult characters, and a few of the principals she worked for were egomaniacs of the highest order. But by and large she had a good working relationship with the principals and the other colleagues in her immediate work environment (the guidance counselor and the school nurse). The working atmosphere in the front office of the other schools in our town, both the middle school and high school, can only be described as "poisonous". All this to say: In addition to looking at the job itself, find a connection to someone in the school system so that you can get some insight into the working atmosphere in each of the schools. Based on my mom's experience (ok, sample size of one), the work culture in a school is pretty consistent over time (whether good or bad).

Oh, and while my mom got the same school vacations as the teachers during the school year, she had to work over the summer. Sorry :(
Plans are nothing; planning is everything - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Amy2017

Post by Amy2017 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:12 am

Yes. I misspelled the word 'Clerk' earlier. :D The county job mentioned in the previous post sounds another dream job to me. Only working every other week with benefit provided. :o I don't necessarily need to take the whole summer off. A couple of weeks off or work part-time during the summer will be good enough to me. I now feel my ideal of dream jobs do exist, not just in my dream. I wish there is a website that lists this kind of opportunity only so we don't need to search all over the places.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:57 pm

student wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 am
I think one's personality is a big factor of the stress level. I have a job that most would consider low stress (tenured professor) but since I am a pessimist, it is stressful regardless.
I suspect that's ignorance about what modern academic life is like?

Granted for the level of intelligence and training that a tenured prof has, comparable jobs are pretty stressful - senior managers in companies, partners in professional service firms, doctors etc.

But I basically see academics as being on a constant scramble: balancing teaching, research, grant applications, research teams, administrative responsibilities (and these only grow as you get older in academia). And with a few exceptions, profs are not paid particularly well. My friends who are academics really sweat it.

Better in sciences and social sciences, law schools, business schools. But there's a glut of law schools now and as applications drop I imagine many are looking to close/ merge/ downsize. I expect something similar in business schools (if it has not happened already). 4 year private colleges must be in the worst shape - their students can no longer afford the kind of fees they charge (or the repayment of the loans incurred) so unless the college is well endowed (Pomona!) and/or highly ranked academically they are facing merger or closure.

Of course some states (Wisconsin?) are basically abolishing tenure? And universities have won the court cases in the US, as I understand it, that says that tenure does not hold if the department is being closed?

The UK has abolished tenure, as a point of reference, and many institutions are in significant financial trouble.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:00 pm

InMyDreams wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:51 am
haven't done it, but do contemplate it.

I knew someone pre-Great Recession that said that Home Depot had good part-time benefits, and was a good work situation.

Earlier this year I spotted a job working for the county that I live in: a clerk working every other week, in an office that keeps property records. "part time benefited" - I wasn't ready to leap, but it was really tempting!
Things are not sitting still.

The Home Depot and other retailers are taking a lot of pain from Amazon, from other online vendors, from their direct competitors. Retail is working fewer staff harder, and there are lot of people who have lost their jobs in retailers in the last few years.

Clerk? Well, I imagine US local government is under the same pressures to cut costs and improve productivity that everyone else is? If you live in a rural area those are some of the best jobs going, with healthcare, pension etc. Thus they are highly sought after.

If you live in a bigger center then probably the salaries are lower than comparable private sector jobs, and the cost of living much higher, so the jobs are relatively less attractive. Local government staff often cannot afford to live anywhere near where they work.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:55 pm

If you're considering an educational environment, check out the local community college. Depending on your subject of expertise, they might be begging for help.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Amy2017 wrote:
I have been unhappy about my current job for a long time. I used to enjoy it until I had my current boss. Based on the retirement calculator, we should be able to retire now. However, like many people mentioned here, health insurance is a fear factor and we still have many years to go before we are eligible for Medicare. Currently my husband's job does not offer health benefit. So I am the only one responsible for our family's health insurance. As much as I dislike my job, I don't plan to quit my current job voluntarily. But if I do get laid off, I would like to find a low stress job with health insurance next time. Pay is not an important consideration.

A friend suggests me to look at job listings in county school system. I notice some school clerk jobs pay around 30K to 40K. With the summer off and paid health insurance, it seems a dream job for me. I have never worked in a school environment before. Not sure whether that is the right expectation. Are school cleric jobs really low stress? With salary that low, I hope they are. Sometimes I wonder whether it is because I know we are now financially independent, therefore I have a low tolerance for stress these days.
Your job currently provides health insurance. But you are NOT solely responsible. You are both responsible. It would be best for you both to have insurance available.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:43 pm

My opinion and observation is that some office jobs in a church or parish (some denominations at least) can be BOTH lower pay and lower stress AND, generally, with health benefits.

Amy2017

Post by Amy2017 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:20 pm
Amy2017 wrote:

A friend suggests me to look at job listings in county school system. I notice some school clerk jobs pay around 30K to 40K. With the summer off and paid health insurance, it seems a dream job for me. I have never worked in a school environment before. Not sure whether that is the right expectation. Are school cleric jobs really low stress? With salary that low, I hope they are. Sometimes I wonder whether it is because I know we are now financially independent, therefore I have a low tolerance for stress these days.
Your job currently provides health insurance. But you are NOT solely responsible. You are both responsible. It would be best for you both to have insurance available.
Ideally this scenario would be the best, but my husband's job opportunity is kind of limited in where we live. The job he currently holds is flexible with a decent pay. He does not want to work for a lower paying job. But I don't mind as long as it has health benefit. I just feel irresponsible to leave our family without health insurance because I could not handle the stress.

moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:58 pm

I would say analyze what causes you stress. Often it is not the type of industry or location. People blame those factors due to "association" not "cause and effect" relationship. Otherwise if you change jobs, or move, it will still be the same you. Maybe coincidence might make the stressors go away, but it's much better to plan first and then act.

gailcox

Post by gailcox » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:13 pm

Here's a thought. I just became aware of some of the Junior Colleges in my state that make available health insurance if you are a student. The amount of hours that need to be taken is 6 hours, with 3 of those available to take on-line. Out of curiosity I looked up the premiums and plan. The plan was excellent and the premiums very reasonable. (can't remember now what the monthly premium was). Google "junior college student health care plans" for your city/state. You may be surprised! Though this route wouldn't pay anything, it would be a great way to get some extra learning in, plus the insurance!

Amy2017

Post by Amy2017 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:53 pm

Sounds great. I will check it out. Actually with all the possible back-up plans mentioned above, I may feel less stressful about my job in the end.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:28 am

"stress" differs by individuals. A young man of my acquaintance is a store manager for a fast food place. He tells me it is a very easy job - low stress for him.

For me, though, a job like that would be high stress - dealing with customers who raise hell over the french fries and a revolving door of employees.

Mjar

Post by Mjar » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:47 am

Amy2017 wrote:

A friend suggests me to look at job listings in county school system. I notice some school clerk jobs pay around 30K to 40K. With the summer off and paid health insurance, it seems a dream job for me. I have never worked in a school environment before. Not sure whether that is the right expectation. Are school clerk jobs really low stress? With salary that low, I hope they are. Sometimes I wonder whether it is because I know we are now financially independent, therefore I have a low tolerance for stress these days.
stress is what you make of it. Look at govt job listings, you won't get the summers off but still another broader option to get into a low stress job with benefits.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:53 am

dm200 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:28 am
"stress" differs by individuals. A young man of my acquaintance is a store manager for a fast food place. He tells me it is a very easy job - low stress for him.

For me, though, a job like that would be high stress - dealing with customers who raise hell over the french fries and a revolving door of employees.
I agree with you. I don't imagine that many fast food managers consider their jobs to be low stress. The employee turnover and constant training and drama would be very high stress for me. The hours would also be long if you were the store manager. Probably also if you were an assistant manager.
Last edited by deanbrew on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:54 am

How about working for the DMV? I recently renewed my registration and had to go in since it was too close to the deadline to do it online. Seemed like a pretty easy desk job for the person doing it. Don't need talk too much, but not isolated in a cubicle by yourself. It is a customer service job though.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 am

new2bogle wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:54 am
How about working for the DMV? I recently renewed my registration and had to go in since it was too close to the deadline to do it online. Seemed like a pretty easy desk job for the person doing it. Don't need talk too much, but not isolated in a cubicle by yourself. It is a customer service job though.
Only in the loosest sense of that phrase.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

MSO4PRN

Post by MSO4PRN » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:33 am

park district of nearby towns

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:42 am

Starbucks offers various health insurance to full and part-time employees.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Benefits/Star ... 202_N1.htm

The question would be if "rush hour coffee" qualifies as low stress. :wink:
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

StealthRabbit

Post by StealthRabbit » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:06 pm

gailcox wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:13 pm
Here's a thought. I just became aware of some of the Junior Colleges in my state that make available health insurance if you are a student.
BTDT,,, check your local schools...

I went back for a grad degree post age 50 (early retirement perk of free college)
6 months into the program this U and others (including state) issued the decree... "Higher EDU health insurance is CAPPED at age 40"

Older / returning students ?... too bad, so sad :x

StealthRabbit

Post by StealthRabbit » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:12 pm

try here:
https://www.moneycrashers.com/part-time ... -benefits/
https://ptmoney.com/the-ten-best-part-t ... -benefits/
(Home Depot, Kaplan, Trader Joes, Target all cancelled their coverage for most PT positions) Costco / Starbucks / REI / UPS / USPS / Wegmans (30 hrs +) / Whole Foods / Staples / Land's End may still offer.

As far as low stress...
Many retirees drive airport shuttle buses, and rental car shuttles (and relocate rental cars)

Will be unlikely to get benefits. But would be GREAT to work nights! (I prefer to have my days FREE) Every day a day off, just like 32 yrs of career (working nights / (farming, building homes, forming businesses, volunteering , homeschooling during daylight))

Option:
Start an LLC and buy a group policy (more affordable options, tho not CHEAP!

Amy2017

Post by Amy2017 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:11 pm

We own more than one LLC, but only have husband and wife as employees. So ACA treats you just like an individual customer. No difference whatsoever. I don't enjoy driving at all. Any job involves driving is a high stress job to me. I think I would rather be a store manager of a fast food restaurant than an Uber driver. :|

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:08 pm

Many posts have mentioned a public school setting. If you want a low stress position in the public schools, consider a custodian/janitorial position that cleans the school after the school day is over. The kids are gone and the staff leaves shortly after their shift begins. If you show a little initiative, you will be greatly appreciated.

My nephew was laid off from a private sector job and accepted a janitorial job in an inner city elementary school. He did some extra cleaning daily that was greatly appreciated by the teachers and the principal. His efforts were noticed by his supervisor, and he was promoted to a day shift maintenance job. He received a raise, but his new position requires that he deal with the staff and students daily. He complains about them daily.

If you can deal with the stigma of being a "lowly" janitor, the job is low stress and the pay is much better than minimum wage, the health insurance is better than most private sector jobs provide, and retirement benefits are pretty good. The downside is that you have to work the afternoon shift, which isn't a bad thing unless you have children.

DMW

Amy2017

Post by Amy2017 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:56 am

Unfortunately I am not good with cleaning either. We even hire people to do our house cleaning once every two weeks. I think clerk jobs are the best fit for me because of my IT background.

CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:21 am

Given your IT background, try to make some contacts with any nearby colleges or community colleges to find out their needs. The variety of IT jobs on a campus is wide (wiring office support to big data to hw and sw) and they often struggle to attract qualified applicants since their pay rates are often quite a bit lower than private industry. The benefits are usually very good and the stress levels are low.

Good Luck,

Kevin

Amy2017

Post by Amy2017 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:10 am

Sounds good. Will give it try. I have extensive experience with database administration and system migration/integration. Business intelligence is the career path I envision myself. But my boss has tried to convert me to a .net programmer since day one, which has been the main source of my stress. I am a data person by nature and don’t enjoy working as a .net programmer. However, since BI has become more and more important in the business world, it seems my boss has not pushed me toward .net any more or he may have given up on me.

I just had my fiscal year end job review with him yesterday. I had been dreadful about it for the last couple of weeks, and to my surprise, we spent most time talking about his first and newly acquired rental property, which is a much pleasant topic than drilling me on what I have and have not done lately. It seems everyone wants to jump into RE and stocks these days with or without clues. Based on the conversion, I could tell his financial situation is not very good and he is concerned about cash flow the rental property. To be honest, my boss is not a bad person. He is very smart and works harder than any one I know. So I kind of feel sorry for him and shared him some of my best knowledge by being a successful landlord myself for many years. Hopefully from now on, he will spend more time worrying about his rental property than my progress.
Last edited by Amy2017 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gretah

Post by gretah » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:39 am

Perhaps you could start a small business that would pay high with little time involvement (after the initial time to start the business) and just pay for the insurance out of the business earnings.

Chris Guillebeau has a daily podcast, each illustrating a different idea someone is using to make money. Side Hustle School. Each podcast is around 8 minutes.

The book Suitcase Entrepreneur has some great ideas.

I've been writing non-fiction ebooks and putting them on Amazon. I write the book then get monthly royalties for years. I could make more if I had a blog and created a fan base, but I don't want to to do all that.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Let me repeat and expand a bit - if you are active in OR have connections with a church or denomination (or similar faith communities), office or clerical jobs (as I often observe) seem to be low stress and, depending on the denomination, often provide decent health benefits. While the pay may not be great, a job like this might fit your needs.

StealthRabbit

Post by StealthRabbit » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Amy2017 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:11 pm
We own more than one LLC, but only have husband and wife as employees. So ACA treats you just like an individual customer. ...
Sorry, I missed adding this line...

"Have at least ONE non-immediate family member in your LLC, and you will be able to negotiate a group policy" (be careful who your 'member' is... as you must ALSO offer group policy to them)

So... if you don't like driving... I think we've offered (10+) other options for ...low stress jobs with health benefit

But... don't LEAVE your current job, as it is not ez to get an equivalent position (pay / vacation / benefits / hours)

or... just do as a couple co-workers did (very successfully).. Read and HEED "Die Broke" (Quit your job (emotionally), don't tell your boss, daily perform what is minimally required, take the money, leave on your terms (if you must leave at all))

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/review-die-broke/

Amy2017

Post by Amy2017 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks a lot for all the ideas here. I really appreciate.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:18 am

Amy2017 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:23 am
Thank you so much for the replies. My husband and I are in our early 50s and late 40s, so this job will be a long-term job, not just a short-term bridge job. Our net income from our rentals are at least 100K a year. So even without my husband and I working, our income will not qualify us for ACA subsides.

I work in IT, so a similar job will most likely be stressful as well, especially at the beginning of a new IT job. That is the reason I am hesitate to find a similar job in the same field. When I was much younger, I enjoyed the challenge. It seems when I get older, I starts to lose the edge, passion, and motivation. What I want is to be able to take a long vacation in the summer with my kids without worrying about how behind I am at work and study. Since the pay is decent with benefit, I don't think I could pull the trigger without regret. So getting laid off is the only option. Sometimes I wonder if I am not even afraid of getting laid off, why I still feel stressful at my work or taking criticism from my boss? Is it human nature or something wrong with me?
Costco is rated as an exceptionally good employer if there's one nearby. Although I've heard a lot of corporate jobs get filled from people who work in stores first, that may not be as true with IT positions.