How often do you guys get alignment done on your cars?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mr.BB

Re: How often do you guys get alignment done on your cars?

Post by Mr.BB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:15 am

Every 12 -18 months and when I get new tires.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

pj1983

Post by pj1983 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 am

I used to get one done every 10k miles or whatever the owner's manual recommended. Now, it's only after a new tire purchase or front suspension work.

Pet peeve: Shops that don't bother to center the steering wheel during the alignment. With the advent of fully computerized alignment it's not common, but in the "bad old days" I'd have to make a return trip every other alignment because that simple step wasn't completed. Details, people!

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:30 am

Gort wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:47 pm
mhc wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:17 pm
Every time I have my carburetor cleaned.
Or when I get the distributor points changed.
Or when I change the rear differential fluid.

targ

Post by targ » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:33 am

Alignment? I drive on solid axles. There's nothing to align or adjust (except toe-in) unless something breaks.

I once had a tire shop place tell me I needed an alignment. Since I knew it was BS, I asked the guy what, exactly, would he be adjusting. After stammering a second or two he finally said that well, I had solid axles so basically there's nothing to adjust.

Never went back to that shop.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

Gort

Post by Gort » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Nestegg_User wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:53 pm
Gort wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:47 pm
mhc wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:17 pm
Every time I have my carburetor cleaned.
Or when I get the distributor points changed.

you should do it every time you have the commutator ground on your generator
...and after every time you have to readjust your float valve in your carburetor (and, of course, at that time you should take out and clean your jets on it as well)

as for the distributor points, don’t dwell on it
Your response has perfect timing. :sharebeer

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:15 am

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:53 pm
jehovasfitness wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:48 pm
David Jay wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:46 pm
Only if I replace a suspension component (tie rod end, etc.) or when I see uneven tire wear.

I do never done it on a scheduled basis.
this.

That or if the car doesn't drive straight
I agree. New tires or you notice a drift. For me, I usually get 20-30k miles out of an alignment.
Also, do not get your suspension components (shocks or struts) replaced unless you notice an issue. Do not fall for the "we see leakage" nonsense unless they show you that it's an actual problem. It's normal for a shock or strut to expel a little fluid if it hits a hard bump.

I have owned a couple of cars that somehow could not be aligned. Get rid of them sooner rather than later. Own nothing in your life that causes recurring issues. Nothing.
"A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness." -- Albert Einstein, just before he won the Nobel Prize.

bironology

Post by bironology » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:46 am

Many potholes in New England due to frost cycles and general apathy to repair the road surfaces. As a result, alignment is something I think about often. I have a check done at least once per year when my vehicles are being serviced for whatever other reason. I inspect the check results myself and determine when I need to really do it. Usually needs it every 2-3 years. At that rate, its cheaper than premature tire wear.

Also in general, cars are machines you own and depend on. They are also beautiful and amazing things. Maintain them well as a matter of pride.

five2one

Post by five2one » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:08 am

OP, you only need an alignment when it is showing sign needing it.

* Not tracking straight
* Uneven tire wear
* Steering to right but goes left

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:00 pm

pj1983 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 am
I used to get one done every 10k miles or whatever the owner's manual recommended. Now, it's only after a new tire purchase or front suspension work.

Pet peeve: Shops that don't bother to center the steering wheel during the alignment. With the advent of fully computerized alignment it's not common, but in the "bad old days" I'd have to make a return trip every other alignment because that simple step wasn't completed. Details, people!
Manufacturers don't even do it.

I had a brand new VW that had the wheel cocked 1/8 turn to the left off center. Tracked perfectly straight. Took it back to the dealer and had it fixed under warranty.

Same with my Mazda. It's only a tiny bit off so I just let it go.

Dick D

Post by Dick D » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:35 pm

I all my 50 years of cars, I have never paid for an alignment. Simple test, run the palm of your hand over the surface of the tire. if you feel no irregularities there is no issue. If it is smooth going in but rough going out, you have a toe in problem. If it smooth going out and rough going in you have a toe out problem. Both toe in and toe out indicate an alignment problem. You should rotate tires base on the tire manufacuter's recommendation. It is normal to see more shoulder wear on the front tires than on the rear tires.

ADower

Post by ADower » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:40 pm

I get one every time I do an oil change.

I bought tires from firestone at one point and they had a discounted lifetime alignment promotion as long as I owned the vehicle.

Otherwise, I would just do it when I got new tires or had any suspension work done.