Ready to buy iPhone 8 now, but..

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tenkuky

Ready to buy iPhone 8 now, but..

Post by tenkuky » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 am

In a previous thread, I agonized about purchasing the slightly older version of the iPhone (7 or 8) to upgrade from a 4!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=250200&hilit=iphone

I heeded guidance to wait till the new slate came out as I'd probably get at a discount. Going with the iPhone 8 (not Plus) now that release of the new versions is expected this week.
However, 2 questions for this community:
1. Will there be availability issue for the 8 with the new releases? Last few weeks, Consumer Cellular (where my plan is) consistently shows the 8 "out of stock" though I see Apple online and some stores still have it.
2. How long before prices fall on the older models? Should I wait a few more weeks or buy right away?

I'm not asking speculatively (I think), but hopefully other boarders have bought the older version phones during new release season and can guide.
Thanks!

anonenigma

Re: Ready to buy iPhone 8 now, but..

Post by anonenigma » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:53 am

Check T-Mobile if it works where you need it, especially if there are two of you on the plan and one is at least 55. Their price is amazing for unlimited (including use outside the country when you travel), and we got our 8 Pluses on a buy one get one almost free ($700 rebate) deal.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:55 am

1. You've already answered your own question. The availability issue is with Consumer Cellular. Apple in general continues producing the previous model iPhone for 1 or 2 years after it's debut. That means the iPhone 6s supply will start to dwindle after this week's announcement as Apple will announce they will no longer make then. The 8 will continue for another year or 2.

2. If buying from Apple the $100 discount will immediately follow the introduction which is in two days. Most major carriers follow suit fairly quickly as well. Can't say for Consumer Cellular.

We can only answer speculatively. I doubt even Apple employees other than those with Chief in their title knows precisely what is going to happen.
Last edited by mmmodem on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:56 am

You should be able to get a refurbished 8 from Apple in a couple weeks, based off history with the 7 when the 8 was released new last year. It'll be cheaper by ~10%. If I were set on that model, I'd wait a couple more weeks till the new phones are out. You have consistently been able to get a refurbished 7 (+) in whatever configuration you want on their website for the past year.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:56 am

If you are buying new, there won't be much/any discount for an iPhone 8 when the new series of iPhones come out.

Apple just doesn't really do discounts. Apple refurbished is an option to save dollars. Only iPhone 7 are available as certified refurbished currently.

Savings would come from someone with an 8 who wants the new version (don't know what it will be called). But, that means buying used.

If you look for a subsidy from a carrier, that will tie you to that carrier. Cricket Wireless was running a $200 off promotion on iPhone 8 recently, but I see that has now ended. That was a solid discount and Cricket has good plans and coverage on AT&T.

If you are sticking with Consumer Cellular, you could buy a new/unlocked iPhone 8 directly from Apple. To be honest, if you are not a phone tinkerer and keep your phones for a long time I would buy new and direct from Apple. You know it is new, you know the warranty is in tact, you know if something happens you can deal direct with Apple. You could switch to another carrier if a better plan comes up.

You might have to get a new nano-SIM from Consumer Cellular. Your 4 might not have a SIM card or it will be too big compared to the nano SIM now used.

Get a case and a glass screen protector and your iPhone 8 will last for several years. The 8 battery life is very good and it is fast.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

luminous

Post by luminous » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:06 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:56 am
If you are buying new, there won't be much/any discount for an iPhone 8 when the new series of iPhones come out.

Apple just doesn't really do discounts.
That’s not historical true. The price on brand new older generation iPhones have consistently gone down when new generations of phones are released. For example, the iPhone 7 new from Apple is currently $549 but was $649 when it debuted.
50/20/30 US stock/international stock/bonds. Hope to semi-retire in 2026.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:06 am

All excellent ideas, thanks to all!
I will wait max 1-2 weeks after release and if it's clear that the 8 is on no better discount on Apple store, will just purchase it.
Rather do new, than refurbished or through Swappa etc.
Not a tinkerer, expect to hold it for at least 3+ years.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:15 am

luminous wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:06 am
bloom2708 wrote:

That’s not historical true. The price on brand new older generation iPhones have consistently gone down when new generations of phones are released. For example, the iPhone 7 new from Apple is currently $549 but was $649 when it debuted.
You are correct. Apple may/will lower the iPhone 8 price at some point this fall. I was more talking about they (Apple) will not do a 50% discount/clearance sale and stop making the 8. It is not like cars when the 2018s are gone, they are gone. Should have been clearer. 8s will continue for 2 more gens probably. As mentioned above, the 6s is likely or has been done for a while.

I'm a tinkerer. I have no problem finding someone local who wants the new one and wants $300 for their iPhone 8 in great condition. But, I also know not everyone will do that or wants to do that.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

sandburg

Post by sandburg » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:31 am

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:52 am

I've currently got an iPhone 5c, which unfortunately does not support wifi-calling, and I just moved to a new house with very poor cellular reception where that feature would be super, super useful. So I've used this situation as the motivation to finally upgrade my phone. I'll probably wait until the end of September or so and pick up an iPhone 8, unless by some miracle the cheaper iPhone from this year has some feature that I find particularly useful (doubtful, as the 8 will already seem like it's from the future relative to what I've got now). Like others have said, and the USA Today article states, there should be plenty of 8s around at decent prices, and possibly with even more storage than would be available now at a higher cost.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:59 am

You'll find more info on www.macrumors.com. I'd expect a $100 price drop. Worth waiting a week or two or the new phone might even intrigue you.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:59 am
You'll find more info on www.macrumors.com. I'd expect a $100 price drop. Worth waiting a week or two or the new phone might even intrigue you.
Agreed. Right before a new iPhone is released is the worst time to buy a new iPhone. The new iphone is announced this week, so new pricing should take effect later this month or early October.

jj45

Post by jj45 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:41 pm

Note also that Apple has a 14 day price guarantee. If the price drops within 14 days after you receive your phone you can get a refund. As always, read the fine print. https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-suppo ... il_us.html

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:44 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:25 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:59 am
Agreed. Right before a new iPhone is released is the worst time to buy a new iPhone. The new iphone is announced this week, so new pricing should take effect later this month or early October.
Me too. Wait a couple of days to see what is new.

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:44 pm

I am also planning to buy an iPhone 8 (actually two, as both my son and myself are in need of a new phone). I am in no rush, I'll wait until early November, until the dust will have settled on the new announcements and their consequences...
anonenigma wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:53 am
Check T-Mobile if it works where you need it, especially if there are two of you on the plan and one is at least 55. Their price is amazing for unlimited (including use outside the country when you travel), and we got our 8 Pluses on a buy one get one almost free ($700 rebate) deal.
Unfortunately, I don't think this rebate offer is available anymore, I just checked...

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 am

GammaPoint wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:52 am
I've currently got an iPhone 5c, which unfortunately does not support wifi-calling, and I just moved to a new house with very poor cellular reception where that feature would be super, super useful. So I've used this situation as the motivation to finally upgrade my phone. I'll probably wait until the end of September or so and pick up an iPhone 8, unless by some miracle the cheaper iPhone from this year has some feature that I find particularly useful (doubtful, as the 8 will already seem like it's from the future relative to what I've got now). Like others have said, and the USA Today article states, there should be plenty of 8s around at decent prices, and possibly with even more storage than would be available now at a higher cost.
The 5c does support wifi calling.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032
And even if your carrier doesn't support it. You can get a Google Voice number for free and forward your calls so you still use your cell number and have wifi calling.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:32 am

IPhone 8 getting recall for hardware issue, so check on that.

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:19 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 am
And even if your carrier doesn't support it. You can get a Google Voice number for free and forward your calls so you still use your cell number and have wifi calling.
Sure, I was a little loose in what I wrote. The 5c does technically support it, but AT&T doesn't support it on the 5c. As for your second point, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I do have a Google Voice number, but I assumed I couldn't use it to forward to my cell phone since my cell phone doesn't get reception (of course it gets Wifi, but Google Voice doesn't forward to my cell phone over Wifi I presume?). If I'm not understanding the mechanism of what you're suggesting, please elaborate (it could save me from having to buy a new phone).

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:32 am
OP here, can you clarify this? What sort of issues?
Makes me pause...
Does this apply to the 7 as well, since that was my 2nd choice?

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Get the X or wait for new releases.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks, I was unaware!
So, hopefully if I buy direct from Apple now (vs. the article stating this was until March 2018), it's fixed, right?
Or do I need to carefully check the serial number and can I even do this before purchase and delivery?
Say in a store?

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:46 pm

tenkuky wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:33 pm
Thegame14 wrote:
OP here, can you clarify this? What sort of issues?
Makes me pause...
Does this apply to the 7 as well, since that was my 2nd choice?
I think 7's had the battery issue.

always something.

oh, and Virgin Mobile has the iphones discounted already. about $100 less give or take depending on model and condition (and availability). But I imagine not too many people use them.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:35 am

GammaPoint wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:19 pm
mmmodem wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 am
Sure, I was a little loose in what I wrote. The 5c does technically support it, but AT&T doesn't support it on the 5c. As for your second point, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I do have a Google Voice number, but I assumed I couldn't use it to forward to my cell phone since my cell phone doesn't get reception (of course it gets Wifi, but Google Voice doesn't forward to my cell phone over Wifi I presume?). If I'm not understanding the mechanism of what you're suggesting, please elaborate (it could save me from having to buy a new phone).
Sorry, I got that backwards :oops: When I had an Android phone, that's how it worked and everything was seamless. Both cell phone number and GV number worked through the same app.

With iOS, I had to adjust. What I did works for me but I don't recommend it. That is, my cell phone number used to forward to GV. The GV number is the one I give everyone. All calls and texts can be done through wifi. The complication is with FaceTime and iMessage. Sometimes I lose a text or FaceTime because an iOS user sends a text to my cell phone and Apple intercepts it into their iMessage service which is a separate service for iOS only. My GV number never receives the forward and I lose the text or Facetime. So I switched it up and had GV forward to my cell phone instead. My carrier does have wifi calling that works on my phone.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 am

tenkuky wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:28 pm
Thanks, I was unaware!
So, hopefully if I buy direct from Apple now (vs. the article stating this was until March 2018), it's fixed, right?
Or do I need to carefully check the serial number and can I even do this before purchase and delivery?
Say in a store?
Just about every iPhone model has had a recall of some sort.
It is illegal for a manufacturer or retailer to knowingly sell you an item that is recalled. That's the definition of recalled. The manufacturer took them all back.
The IMEI is on the box so you can certainly check in person prior to purchase.

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 am

mmmodem wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:35 am
Sorry, I got that backwards :oops: When I had an Android phone, that's how it worked and everything was seamless. Both cell phone number and GV number worked through the same app.

With iOS, I had to adjust. What I did works for me but I don't recommend it. That is, my cell phone number used to forward to GV. The GV number is the one I give everyone. All calls and texts can be done through wifi. The complication is with FaceTime and iMessage. Sometimes I lose a text or FaceTime because an iOS user sends a text to my cell phone and Apple intercepts it into their iMessage service which is a separate service for iOS only. My GV number never receives the forward and I lose the text or Facetime. So I switched it up and had GV forward to my cell phone instead. My carrier does have wifi calling that works on my phone.
Ah, okay. Got it. I didn't realize that it worked that way with Androids. I've been using GV for phone calls since I don't want to walk down the street to place a phone call, but haven't given that number out to others as my default number because of the forwarding issue. I'll probably just get a new(er) phone. Could use more storage for taking pictures of my kiddos.

jjface

Post by jjface » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:56 am

luminous wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:06 am
bloom2708 wrote:

$100 discount on a two year old phone is pathetic. Unless money is tight or you have a strong desire for the old model eg no notch then might as well get the new one.

jjface

Post by jjface » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 am

Thegame14 wrote:
A small proportion. You make it sound like the entire stock is defective. Also ones sold over 6 months ago.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 am

So now that the new versions are out, the 8 I've had my mind on dropped $100.
It's about $600 now for the 64 GB version.
Is this the best price I can hope for, or wait some more?
Consumer Cellular has it back in stock :beer and I can pay it in installments over 12 months (owned free and clear with no surcharge).
The Xr did make it more interesting, as it's $150 more but not sure if it's worth it.

revert

Post by revert » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 am

tenkuky wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 am
That's likely the best price for at least another year. I think the 64GB 8 is one of the best bang for your buck buys in the current model line.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:25 am

tenkuky wrote:
Consumer Cellular has it back in stock :beer and I can pay it in installments over 12 months (owned free and clear with no surcharge).
The Xr did make it more interesting, as it's $150 more but not sure if it's worth it.
I think the XR would be well worth it. The face recognition in the X was a huge upgrade for me.

luminous

Post by luminous » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:46 am

revert wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 am
tenkuky wrote:
That's likely the best price for at least another year. I think the 64GB 8 is one of the best bang for your buck buys in the current model line.
I came to the same conclusion and upgraded to the 8 from my old 6. I’m not a fan of large phones, preferred the old small iPhone sizes, and the Xr is larger and heavier than the 8.

I’ve had my 6 for four years so I hope to ride out this giant phone trend with the 8. Fingers crossed the trend actually ends at some point!
50/20/30 US stock/international stock/bonds. Hope to semi-retire in 2026.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 am

tenkuky wrote:
Brand new yes that's the best deal you can expect until they drop the price again next year. :-)

There will probably be refurb'd models in the Apple Store online in the next couple of weeks. For comparison the 7 starts new at $449, but the refurb'd is $379. That's a 15% savings.

revert

Post by revert » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:58 am

luminous wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:46 am
I’ve had my 6 for four years so I hope to ride out this giant phone trend with the 8. Fingers crossed the trend actually ends at some point!
As someone clinging to an iPhone SE - I'm right there with you! :beer

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 am

Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 am
tenkuky wrote:
Brand new yes that's the best deal you can expect until they drop the price again next year. :-)

There will probably be refurb'd models in the Apple Store online in the next couple of weeks. For comparison the 7 starts new at $449, but the refurb'd is $379. That's a 15% savings.
Never bought an IPhone refurb before, worth it? I'm not getting AppleCare on the new phone anyway.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:15 am

tenkuky wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 am
Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 am
tenkuky wrote:

Never bought an IPhone refurb before, worth it? I'm not getting AppleCare on the new phone anyway.
Only you can answer if 15% is worth it to you, it is to me. :-)

You can get AppleCare on refurb the same as new.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:29 am

Apple replaces the battery and a new shell on refurbs. Only the innards are used. The phone is visually indistinguishable from new

For $150, I would be 50/50 on getting a Xr or 8. I'm going to wait to see what incentives come up for trading in your existing phone. T-Mobile had a trade-in offer from a 6 to an 8 for 50% off last year. An old 6 even back then wasn't worth anywhere near $350 so it was a fantastic deal. I had to wait until Christmas to get the deal though. Effectively, it was like getting $100 off the phone.

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:39 am

If the 8 isn't going to get a free storage upgrade anytime soon, then I figure I might as well upgrade now. My 5c is pretty much on its death bed.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:29 am
Apple replaces the battery and a new shell on refurbs. Only the innards are used. The phone is visually indistinguishable from new

For $150, I would be 50/50 on getting a Xr or 8. I'm going to wait to see what incentives come up for trading in your existing phone. T-Mobile had a trade-in offer from a 6 to an 8 for 50% off last year. An old 6 even back then wasn't worth anywhere near $350 so it was a fantastic deal. I had to wait until Christmas to get the deal though. Effectively, it was like getting $100 off the phone.
Old phone is a 4!! I'll have to pay someone to take it off me, not likely getting any cash-back :P

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:48 am

tenkuky wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 pm
mmmodem wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:29 am

Old phone is a 4!! I'll have to pay someone to take it off me, not likely getting any cash-back :P
T-Mobile is offering $100 trade-in for all iPhones 6 and older if you purchase a Xs. Newer model iPhone trade-ins get more money back. I know you don't have TMobile but other carriers may follow suit with similar programs. Looks like I may trade-in my backup 5c. Only thing is DW's 6s works perfectly fine and I'm perfectly happy with my 8.