Tesla Model 3 Owners: Your experience so far

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
InvestoGuy

Tesla Model 3 Owners: Your experience so far

Post by InvestoGuy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:41 am

Any Tesla Model 3 owners here? What has your experience been so far, specifically:

1. Was it worth the money?
2. Months of ownership so far
3. Still positive, negative or somewhere in between (say on a 1-5 scale, 5 being very positive / happy).
4. Any big issues / surprises
5. What was the first issue you had that need some sort of service
6. 2-3 things you like the most.

Thank you for your time.

sc9182

Re: Tesla Model 3 Owners: Your experience so far

Post by sc9182 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:47 am

Good balanced review:

https://youtu.be/uS9t9tb43Ts

BH13

Post by BH13 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:52 pm

InvestoGuy wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:41 am
3. Still positive, negative or somewhere in between (say on a 1-5 scale, 5 being very positive / happy).
1. Yes, though it wasn't a financial decision.
2. 4 months
3. 5 - very happy
4. No issues
5. Haven't needed any service yet. Have a slight bit of wind noise over 70 mph that I'll ask to be looked at.
6. Other than the usual - electric, torque etc, I love the user simplification Tesla brings:

- Automatic garage opening / closing based on GPS geolocation
- No turning the car on/off, no locking / unlocking, no keys -> This has worked well for me.
- Automatic zooming in/out of the navigation map based on speed & exit / navigation turns.
- Included LTE with Slacker streaming. No radio commercials. (Though owners post July 1 only get 1 year free).

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:56 pm

1. Was it worth the money? Yes.

2. Months of ownership so far? Delivered 6/1, so 3 months (slightly over 5,000 miles).

3. Still positive, negative or somewhere in between (say on a 1-5 scale, 5 being very positive / happy). 5.

4. Any big issues / surprises? Nope.

5. What was the first issue you had that need some sort of service? N/A

6. 2-3 things you like the most. Fun torque. No range anxiety. Cool interior aesthetic.

My wife adores her Model 3. Biggest negatives to me are external — Elon musk seems batty and the company may not survive.

Andy.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:13 pm

> 1. Was it worth the money?
At least on a spent-so-far-per-day basis, I would guess most consumer purchases aren't worth $15k/day. :shock:

> 2. Months of ownership so far
0.15 months

> 3. Still positive, negative or somewhere in between (say on a 1-5 scale, 5 being very positive / happy).
The vehicle hardware and software have been mostly great, so 4.5? Some things we're still figuring out, e.g., do we want walk away lock if older phone is not consistently connecting as a key, different driving behavior (no-creep, chill acceleration, etc.)

> 4. Any big issues / surprises
Pre-/during/post-delivery experience could be better, but some of it might be caused by California laws and out-of-state registration and plate transfer requirements. In particular, we were only notified that we needed to get several notarized signatures for power of attorney in less than 48 hours before weekend delivery while we were traveling out of the country, and afterwards, it seems like this urgency wasn't even needed as additional post-delivery documents are needed before PoA could be used anyway.

> 5. What was the first issue you had that need some sort of service
N/A. (Although there was a very minor finish / assembly issue that was easily fixed.)

> 6. 2-3 things you like the most.
- charging up at home (30-minute detour to refuel our ICE vehicle feels like a huge hassle now even less than a week of owning an EV)
- autopilot works surprisingly well (in the first drive home from pick up, got to experience smooth highway, 2-vehicle-ahead radar early deceleration, stop-n-go highway, and more!)
- streaming radio (we listen mostly to podcasts, and it was a pleasant surprise to have a nice interface to access them all -- at least I didn't know about the feature ahead of time)
- automatic garage opening and closing (easy to pair homelink and adjust distance settings)
- easy phone charging (drop in to "dock" is very convenient, although it would have been nice to get 2 USB-C cables)
- chill acceleration (much easier to get smooth acceleration than accidentally jerking forwards in the Forester)
- quiet acceleration (surprisingly every time we hear a noisy vehicle pass by makes us appreciate the lack of noise even more)

Edit: Added some items from wife
Last edited by harikaried on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:13 pm

1. Too soon to tell. With state and federal credits the car will be $42,000. This is certainly more than we'd hoped for (when we reserved, we were hoping to the the $35k car with the federal credit). When it became clear we'd be getting the SR with half or no credit, we decided to go for the LR.

2. Approaching one

3. 4-4.5, I'd say. The car is truly incredible. It feels very well made, drives exceptionally well, and it is, by far, the fastest car I've ever owned.

4. Not exactly surprises, but I am still disappointed that you need EAP to get TACC (my VW Golf has this!). And the phone integration is complete crap.

5. None yet

- We have a total of 8 free municipal charging stations (J1772, 30A) within 10 minutes' walk of our house, so we have paid exactly $0.00 to charge the car so far. Feels nice when billing miles at $0.545 for work.
- It is really fast. I have an old Audi S6 which is similar in HP and weight, at least on paper. The 3 is so much quicker. It's really astounding. Highway merges, pulling into traffic... it's just effortless. By the time you think of a speed you want the car to go, it seems to have already (silently) arrived at that speed.
- The center screen was very easy to adjust to, and I don't miss the full dash or buttons at all.

InvestoGuy

Post by InvestoGuy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Since I am the OP, would like to conclude the thread, as follows:

Thank you all for your responses. I am a happy Model 3 owner as well, have had the car for about 3 weeks now. My feedback as follows:

Yes totally. The $7500 federal tax refund and I also get a $4500 rebate from my local utility company gives me a 20% discount on the car. That is awesome and makes it totally worth it.

> 2. Months of ownership so far
Almost a month.

> 3. Still positive, negative or somewhere in between (say on a 1-5 scale, 5 being very positive / happy).
5. Amazing vehicle.

> 4. Any big issues / surprises
Not really. Didn't realize we (me and wife) both would like it so much.

> 5. What was the first issue you had that need some sort of service
N/A.

> 6. 2-3 things you like the most.
- Quiet ride
- Acceleration
- Huge gas savings (even after factoring the utility bill)
- Amazing s/w and technology

mewantcookiez

Post by mewantcookiez » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 am

Did any of you bother with the performance package? Seems pretty steep at 10k.

InvestoGuy

Post by InvestoGuy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:19 am

No, I did not. I got the 'base' version, which is Long Range and RWD. It is pretty good, as is.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:35 am

mewantcookiez wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 am
Did any of you bother with the performance package? Seems pretty steep at 10k.
It's equivalent to the difference between the BMW 340i and the M3. You already know if the difference is meaningful to you.

bgf

Post by bgf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 am

InvestoGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Yes totally. The $7500 federal tax refund and I also get a $4500 rebate from my local utility company gives me a 20% discount on the car. That is awesome and makes it totally worth it.
WOW. $12000 subsidy it better be great value!!
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

InvestoGuy

Post by InvestoGuy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:59 am

bgf wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 am
InvestoGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:39 pm

WOW. $12000 subsidy it better be great value!!
Yes, 20% off list price. Was a great deal, overall. Too bad the federal tax rebate for Tesla reduces next year.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:25 am

Oh, in terms of value, it looks like we saved $2700 by ordering and picking up the AWD early. If I try to configure the same vehicle today, AWD is +$2000, paint is +$500, destination/doc is +$200. That's more than 4% discount off the current price for pretty much the same vehicle manufactured 1 month ago.

Fortunate for us, but I wonder if people will become wary of Tesla's unexpected changes. Generally in the past, changes have been associated with hardware changes too, so perhaps it's too early to tell if anything is different with the vehicles made in the coming months. (One could probably guess Tesla did make changes as they're always constantly making adjustments instead of doing the "model year refresh.")

Working2notWork

Post by Working2notWork » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am

I test drove the 3 and have been on the list since the first night we were able to put our names down.

Unfortunately, I'm an old dog and I like my gauges right under the wheel without having to take my eyes off the road. I also did not like how small my rear-view and side mirrors were going to be. When test driving, I found a TONNE of blind spots. I also found that the blind-spot detectors did not do a good job indicating when a car was approaching from the rear.

My wife also found the backseats very uncomfortable, although she/we did like how stain resistant the material was (marine based fabric).

It was a fun car to drive and hugged the road, but I cannot justify 60K+ for it.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 am

Test drove one. Not impressed. Got a F150 instead.

Working2notWork

Post by Working2notWork » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:47 am

RollTide31457 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 am
Test drove one. Not impressed. Got a F150 instead.
It's hard to be un-impressed by the car. More than anything, I'm impressed with Tesla's ability to have people pay _that_ price.

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:58 am

For perspective on long-term reliability, I've had my Model S (not 3) for 3.75 years. it's been very reliable. I have never personally been to a service center. Gas savings alone are double my insurance and registration costs annually.
Last edited by eye.surgeon on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:03 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:58 am
For perspective on long-term reliability, I've had my Model S (not 3) for 3.75 years. it's been very reliable. I have never personally been to a service center.

As far as price, it's cost of ownership not price that is the issue. Surprised how many otherwise financially savvy people focus on purchase price.I've spent zero dollars on service the whole time I've owned it. First and only service was paid for with a PG&E credit I received same month. Gas savings alone are double the insurance and registration costs annually.
Purchase price (as depreciation) is the primary cost of ownership for cars.

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:06 am

Nate79 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:03 am
eye.surgeon wrote:
For perspective on long-term reliability, I've had my Model S (not 3) for 3.75 years. it's been very reliable. I have never personally been to a service center.

As far as price, it's cost of ownership not price that is the issue. Surprised how many otherwise financially savvy people focus on purchase price.I've spent zero dollars on service the whole time I've owned it. First and only service was paid for with a PG&E credit I received same month. Gas savings alone are double the insurance and registration costs annually.
Agreed but Model 3 has no depreciation history. One can presume it will have decent depreciation in it's price class, as the Model S has. Still not the car for you if lowest cost of ownership is the top priority obviously.
Last edited by eye.surgeon on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

Working2notWork

Post by Working2notWork » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:08 am

Nate79 wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by this?

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:28 am

Working2notWork wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:08 am
Nate79 wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by this?
Depreciation (loss of value of the car which is highly related to purchase price) is about 40-50% of the annual cost of ownership in the first ~5 years.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2015/04/annual ... a-archive/

https://sites.google.com/a/uncc.edu/for ... -ownership

(these are a couple of websites I could find that had good graphics in a quick search). This is not specific to Tesla but just general statement.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Isn't obviuos to everybody that cars cost a lot and depreciate fast especially in the first years but gas is not that expensive?

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:32 am

Nate79 wrote:
eye.surgeon wrote:

That is certainly true for new cars, but not as much for used cars. If you keep the car long enough, you could easily pay more in maintenance / insurance / gas on a used car than the purchase price of the vehicle.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:38 am

Starfish wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:27 pm
Isn't obviuos to everybody that cars cost a lot and depreciate fast especially in the first years but gas is not that expensive?
If you keep a car long enough, it has poor mileage, and you drive it a lot, the cost of gas could conceivably nearly match the purchase price.
For example, a Ford F150 with a 17/23 mpg gas mileage - let's call it 20 - driven for 200,000 miles would take 10,000 gallons, costing about $40,000 in gas depending on where you live. Whereas the Tesla could cost you $0 in electricity if your employer provides free charging (mine does, but I don't drive a Tesla - Chevy Volt and Bolt).

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:52 am

I wish the discussion would be kept to those that own the car and their experience thus far instead of digressing as many other Tesla subjects have/do.

Thank you.
4nursebee

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:52 pm

madbrain wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:38 am
Starfish wrote:
If you keep a car long enough, it has poor mileage, and you drive it a lot, the cost of gas could conceivably nearly match the purchase price.
For example, a Ford F150 with a 17/23 mpg gas mileage - let's call it 20 - driven for 200,000 miles would take 10,000 gallons, costing about $40,000 in gas depending on where you live. Whereas the Tesla could cost you $0 in electricity if your employer provides free charging (mine does, but I don't drive a Tesla - Chevy Volt and Bolt).
Excellent point.It is also nice if you have solar at your home.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:26 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:52 pm
madbrain wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:38 am
Starfish wrote:
Excellent point.It is also nice if you have solar at your home.
Yes, but you would have to account for the cost of your solar PV system at home still. Even if you already have solar, adding an EV will likely require expanding that PV system, at least if your system was previously sized properly for your home alone. I did all the math for our EVs and solar in this post :
viewtopic.php?t=257991#p4104113
At this time, our system is properly sized for the home + 1 EV. Employer provides free charging for one of the 2 EVs.

roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:39 pm

1. So far so good, but I'll let you know in a decade.
2. 4 months.
3. I'm a 4.5, and that's only because of the cost.
4. No issues so far, knock on bamboo laminate.
5. We haven't need to service it yet.
6. The car drives extremely well, a select few Superchargers are free, and the it's extremely efficient and comfortable.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm

1. Yes and yes (have 2)
2. 5 months and 1 month
3. 5, 5
4. No, No
5. None; license plate bracket screw stripped. Sevice Center sent out a mobile unit to fix at home. On time, and took 10 minutes.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Just updating with some experiences:

- there's a lot of road construction nearby, so I was pleasantly surprised that autopilot followed the cones instead of lines (with my hands on the wheel ready to take over)
- after changing around some phone settings -- in particular turning off battery optimization for the Tesla app -- walk-up-unlock seems to work much better
- walk-away-lock is generally nice unless at home and getting stuff/kids out of the car -- hopefully a future update can keep unlocked at home / in garage, but for now just need to remember to keep a door/trunk open
- unbuckled rear seat-belt warning can trigger if one tightens LATCH car seats enough, so worked around by buckling in the seatbelts
- within the first month, received multiple software and map data (?? ~5GB each) updates and generally plenty of WiFi network traffic: ~13GB down, 1GB up
- charging with a regular wall outlet has been more than sufficient for our daily and weekend driving
- supercharging for trips is faster and more convenient than expected -- seeing around 300mph from the phone app
- still always fun to let people experience the quiet acceleration of the dual motors 8-)

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:27 pm

That's a judgement call only you can make for yourself. I'd say it competes favorably, from a price and performance perspective, with the Audi A4 and BMW 3-series, which were my benchmarks for comparison. So if you think those are worth the money, then absolutely.

2. Months of ownership so far: 1.5
3. Still positive, negative or somewhere in between (say on a 1-5 scale, 5 being very positive / happy). 4
4. Any big issues / surprises: The front trunk stopped opening.

Front trunk (frunk) solenoid needed to be replaced. They ordered the part and came to my house to replace it. Disappointed, but not a showstopper since it was handled professionally with minimal inconvenience.

Acceleration/Handling/cornering
Comfort of drivers seat
Easy entry/exit feature
Steve

oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:12 pm

InvestoGuy wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:41 am
Any Tesla Model 3 owners here? What has your experience been so far, specifically:

Thank you for your time.
1. Yes
2. 9 months
3. Positive 5
4. Premium audio system is a pleasant surprise
5. Lack of a small piece of plastic "reflector" that was easily replaced for free
6. Acceleration, Quiet ride, Continual Over-the-Air upgrade

You're welcome :)
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:53 am

Got the version 9 update, and wow! Autopilot and Autosteer are much improved:

- showing multiple lanes on all roads (not just highways)
- automatic lane change when available lane detected, e.g., turning on the turn signal when the line is still solid will switch when it becomes a dashed line
- blind spot detection with other vehicles displayed appropriately (SUV, sedan, motorcycle) all around including behind
- displayed lane more accurately reflects (sharp) curves
- right curves where v8 would understeer are nicely centered during the turn with v9
- speed automatically reduces from 70mph to 25mph when taking an off-ramp
- works on residential streets often with no center line and cars parked on the side

Strummer

Post by Strummer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:44 pm

For us, yes. For others, who knows? I've mentioned before here that we're in the "early adopters pay a premium" phase of electric cars, and that's certainly true of the Model 3. Three years from now, there will be more to choose from and prices should be lower, although the various rebates and tax credits may not exist then. Now, if you can afford it and it should meet your needs for the length of time you normally own a car, then the answer is likely to be yes for you, too.

Almost 7. I've put about 9,000 miles on the car, including a 3,000 mile road trip through the western US.

5, very happy.

No.

Not applicable.

It will be tricky to limit it to two or three! Electric cars in general are more fun to drive than ICE cars. They are mechanically much less complex and, all other things being equal, that means they should require less maintenance. (This is not our first purely electric car, so I will add that this has been true in our nearly four years of electric car ownership.) If your commuting/driving needs can be met by simply plugging the car in at your home every night, it's great to never even think about having to stop for refueling. These things are true of all electric cars.

There's a lot to like about the Model 3 specifically as well. We have the long-range model and, compared to our first foray into electric cars, it's wonderful not to have to think about battery range at all, except for those rare occasions when you're going to drive more than, say, 250 miles in a day. (If you are, the Supercharger network is fast, conveniently located, and growing.) The acceleration, even without the performance package, is spectacular and makes getting onto freeways a breeze. We have the Enhanced Auto Pilot package (not Fully Self Driving, though), and features like traffic-aware cruise control make it safer to be out on the freeways — if you're using it, the car will react to changes in traffic speed sometimes before you notice them. The car also has five-star safety ratings across the board.

ebotrd

Post by ebotrd » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Enjoying your thread as I'm trying to decide whether to take the plunge and buy a M3 tomorrow (vs Chevy Volt)...my post is viewtopic.php?f=11&t=253215.
I think I will buy a new car soon as I need to drive >20k miles/yr for work now.. I know I want to drive all-electric as much as I reasonably/affordably can, so that means I'd better hurry as the federal incentive is starting to phase out for some mfr's very soon. I also want to be able to road trip with near-zero hassle, so that narrows it down to M3 (negligible road trip hassle) or Chevy Volt (zero hassle).
For me though, if I buy a Volt, I think I'll still want to go full battery EV at some point, very likely aiming to pick up a used M3 in maybe 4-5 years when they're hopefully about half retail.

After thinking it through (a lot), "according to my calculations"...buying M3 now will cost me ~$75/m (over 5 years) more than going for a new Volt now to tide me over. I LOVE the newer Volts - great value, but I think M3 is probably worth $75/m more to me for various reasons.
-More future-proof/software updates keep coming...overall trend is better. Also if full self driving ever does become reality, I could add it to M3.
-It's at least a little nicer and roomier and comfier than Volt.
-there's a cool/style factor that pulls me in just a little - hard for me to put a value on that as I don't normally care about that stuff at all.
-They're both safe cars and offer fancy safety and auto-piloty features (Volt Premier) that are awesome, but M3's are a little better IMHO overall.

Definitely it comes down to one's personal financial situation and how much they value luxuries in cars (vs just getting you from A to B).
I've done a decent job saving for a couple decades now, so can probably safely relax just a little. Also work forces me to spend more time driving than I'd like, so fancying up the car situation has more value to me than it used to.
Cheers
When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor. -- E. Musk.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:54 am

speed automatically reduces from 70mph to 25mph when taking an off-ramp
What? Why am I paying $80K performance version if it is going to take off-ramp as fast a a 3 cyl Geo?

ebotrd

Post by ebotrd » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Why am I paying $80K performance version if it is going to take off-ramp as fast a a 3 cyl Geo?
Dude, you're exiting the highway - you're supposed to slow down.
When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor. -- E. Musk.

MrNo

Post by MrNo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi,
Just want to bump this thread and see any additional feedback.
I am thinking of pulling the trigger with new medium range. Price and range suits me well.
Thanks

ebotrd

Post by ebotrd » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:43 pm

I'm pretty frugal - but just ordered a mid range.
This will be my first new car purchase - ever. I'm closing in on 50 years old. Priciest car prior was $11k.
Can't fully explain to left brain why I'm making this move. Still, I'm warming up to the idea.
Considered new Volt (around $34k featured up), used i3 REx (start at $15k). So, I'll end up paying $10-20k more than those options. $10k of that is very easy for me to justify as added value. The other $10k is more abstract/subjective. I'm not quite sure why I want it bad enough to pay that extra $10k. One reason is I feel more sure I'll be happy to keep this car over a decade vs the others. Skipping one vehicle change probably saves you around $3k just avoiding taxes/registration/delivery on the next car.
Whatever - worst case I'll postpone retirement a couple of months ;). Just this once. I don't normally act like this.
Watching some youtube videos going over the features helps. Safest car ever(?), the tech - no car compares!, very comfortable (front seats at least), and the whole eco aspect, pleasure to drive, and supposedly (aside from purchase price), cost of ownership should be super-low like other EVs.

When i changed my order a couple days ago (it was 10/18) to to mid range it estimates 6-10 weeks delivery. (I'm west coast, reserved 4/3/16). I might have voided the guaranteed delivery by end of the year when I did that - couldn't really tell. 10 weeks is cutting it close. But there was also a blurb on one page (couldn't find it again) that said within 4 weeks to pick up at Fremont factory. It's feasible for me to fly there and drive it back (500 miles or so) on a weekend just to be sure. It is $3750 after all. I haven't been assigned a "Delivery Specialist" yet, but I'll verify with them as soon as I'm assigned one.

IMHO this truly is the $35000 Tesla because $45000 - $10k fed/state rebates = $35k.
The promise was $35k Tesla without rebates.
I was one of the many who saw $35k and then thought that might mean ~$25-28k after rebates. That's why I thought I'd reserve.
But, for the extra $7-10k, you do get some stuff...40 miles more range, more interior frills.
If you want the M3, buying now may be the best move (assuming you do get the full federal).
But if you wait for the true $35k price, you need to wait for them to offer the SR ($5k less than mid range) and allow you to drop the Premium upgrades ($5k). But then you'll lose somewhere between $3750 to $5625 of fed rebate. I suppose you'd still likely pocket any state rebates though, so there's that - and who knows, maybe state and or fed congresses comes up with an even better federal rebate soon.

PinZabu

Post by PinZabu » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi,

I have never enjoyed a car this much. My husband wanted an all electric for ten years. I could have cared less, as all I want the car to get me from point A to B so who knew I would get driving pleasure from the Model 3. We have only had it for three weeks, and it is too much fun to drive and autopilot even works in the mountains of Colorado. Once you get the hang of it, you can one pedal drive, so the regenerative breaking does tons of work.

No problems so far, other than new driver learning curve.

Currently charging in the garage, will be moving into our new place in two months with solar panels and a SolarEdge inverter with EV charging.

Obviously, I second all the positive comments of the previous posters, quiet, fast, handles beautifully.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:52 am

I drove the performance version M3 in "chill mode". Well, that completely failed to impress me. I was told that in "chill mode" it should have performance equivalent of RWD LR but from my experience, that was just not the case. So half way during the test drive, we put it back in to its normal aka performance mode.

NOW WE ARE TALKING!! This is now $80K car and YES it impressed me.

The few questions that I need to answer to myself :-

1) Am I going to get $80K worth of enjoyment out of this $80K car?
2) Am I the type of person who has the mental stamina to live with a $80K car? I still park my 6 year old car at the end of the parking lot away from other cars to prevent door dings. I had paid $35K 6 years ago for it.
3) 80% of the time I am driving 18-19 year old [three of them!] vehicles.
4) I have been told that being able to keep my vehicles for that many years, I might already have saved close to $50-$60K. Raw numbers would probably confirm that.
5) BUT NO, I don't have 8-figure invest-able assets or anywhere even close to that number and age already has the dreaded Six in it.

ebotrd

Post by ebotrd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 am

Is our goal 8 figure investible assets? To what end? I would think $5-6M for a couple to retire quite comfortably indeed. Much less could be argued depending whether there may be pension(s) invloved or rental property income, etc.
Don't mean to derail the post but this issue of whether one can comfortably afford a Tesla/any expensive car/any luxury thing is key to these discussions particularly in bh forum.
At what point do we loosen up a little?

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:20 pm

ebotrd wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 am
Is our goal 8 figure investible assets? To what end? I would think $5-6M for a couple to retire quite comfortably indeed. Much less could be argued depending whether there may be pension(s) invloved or rental property income, etc.
Don't mean to derail the post but this issue of whether one can comfortably afford a Tesla/any expensive car/any luxury thing is key to these discussions particularly in bh forum.
At what point do we loosen up a little?
I almost forgot to congratulate you on your purchase! "At what point do we loosen up a little?" That is *the* $64K question, incidentally the price of fully configured Red AWD LR Tesla M3 :-)

It is not just the question of money but the value one derives from that money. The answer to is very personal and not easy.

ebotrd

Post by ebotrd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks! Very nice of you to say, wrongfunds.
"$64k question" = cost of a spec'd up M3. Too funny!
I think I'm good with maybe equivalent of $6M (including value of pension & rental property), kids with a good head start, etc WITH a rockin' car vs maybe like $6.1M without. So long as you consider it carefully first, which it seems you're doing reading this post....
I like $6M (for a couple) because we plan to self-insure LTCI, so if (hopefully) we never spend much time in a nursing home, kids will get a huge bonus.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:53 pm

ebotrd wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:43 pm
IMHO this truly is the $35000 Tesla because $45000 - $10k fed/state rebates = $35k.
If you are going to count federal tax incentives and state rebates, you should count the sales tax too.
So it's really $45K + $5K sales tax less $10K in incentives = $40k . Still not $35k.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:54 pm

madbrain wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:53 pm

If you are going to count federal tax incentives and state rebates, you should count the sales tax too.
So it's really $45K + $5K sales tax less $10K in incentives = $40k . Still not $35k.
But all vehicles have sales tax. For apples to apples comparison it really does come to about 35 K comparing new vehicles. People don't normally include the sales tax when they talk about the price of a vehicle.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:08 pm

dustinst22 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:54 pm
madbrain wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:53 pm

But all vehicles have sales tax. For apples to apples comparison it really does come to about 35 K comparing new vehicles. People don't normally include the sales tax when they talk about the price of a vehicle.
Manufacturers don't in their advertising, certainly, but IMO, that's wrong. When I buy anything, I account for any taxes I have to pay, since they come out of my pocket. In other countries without varying rates of sales tax like the US, prices are required to be advertised inclusive of sales taxes or VAT.

The sales tax on a $45K vehicle with $10K of federal & state incentives will also be more than sales tax on a $35K vehicle with no federal & state incentives.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:09 pm

This morning I got pulled over for pulling out too fast on the main road in my almost 20 year old car! I don't need a Tesla to get in to more trouble!

hitchman

Post by hitchman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:39 pm

I used to think it was pretty cool to see a Tesla tooling around town. Now when I see one I just chuckle at the fool that bit on Elon's fantasy. Tesla is not likely to survive, given the number of competitive models coming to market with established dealer networks and supply chain advantages.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:46 pm

madbrain wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Manufacturers don't in their advertising, certainly, but IMO, that's wrong. When I buy anything, I account for any taxes I have to pay, since they come out of my pocket. In other countries without varying rates of sales tax like the US, prices are required to be advertised inclusive of sales taxes or VAT.

The sales tax on a $45K vehicle with $10K of federal & state incentives will also be more than sales tax on a $35K vehicle with no federal & state incentives.
Of course it needs to be included in the expense. But if we're just trying to compare purchase prices of anything, its better to exclude taxes so that we have an apples to apples comparison. Taxes are location dependent and in some cases are zero, so its a variable best excluded in a community discussion and added on a personal basis.