Can Sneakers go with Business Casual?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LoveMyDog

Re: Can Sneakers go with Business Casual?

Post by LoveMyDog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:01 pm

When I used to work in a bank, the "work shoes" stay at my cube and only wear them when I'm in the office.
Benefits:
1) Less wear and tear on my nice shoes
2) Being weather-appropriate outside of the office (rain/snow boots)
3) Comfort

YMMV

kermit

Post by kermit » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Depends on where you live and what sneakers. I've got a huge sneaker collection and live in the Bay Area. Anything goes here! People wouldn't bat an eye.

Some sneakers are better at this than others: Allbirds, Killshots, and Stan Smiths come to mind. I'm currently wearing khaki chinos, a blue OCBD, and a pair of stan smiths at work.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:29 pm

No.

Sneakers = Casual
Sneaker != Business Casual

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:37 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:29 pm
No.

Sneakers = Casual
I agree. I think a lot of people are talking about dressing casual at a business which to me is different than the phrase business casual. "Business casual" the phrase doesn't include flip flops, shorts, t-shirts, etc. anywhere. Tech firms where people dress like that are casual, not business casual.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Oh make it stop already!

BH is a fine place for clothing advice. It is the worst place for fashion advice!

Business casual here seems to be "khakis and a nice shirt, " a.k.a. the Best Buy uniform.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:46 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:23 pm
harrychan wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:40 pm
get_g0ing wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:20 pm
harrychan wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:00 pm
It depends on your corporate culture. I sometimes wear sneakers if -

I am not seeing any clients or key stakeholders
It's Friday
There is some manual work to be done
I'm in my own satellite office and not corporate
I'm not hosting a meeting (in person or webcam)

FYI, I am in IT so we have a relaxed dress code. I sit with desktop support and they regularly wear jeans and sneakers. When I do meet my clients or stakeholder, I am in a shirt and suit. No tie. I hate ties.
Asking this in curiosity and for understanding: what will happen if you wear them in the main corporate office or in front of clients?
Honestly, probably nothing. Someone out of courtesy may come up in private and suggest I wear dress shoes. I sometimes see my manager wear spanx / running shoes lol.
What you can get away with, what is generally accepted and what is preferred are 3 different things. In general, do you do the bare minimum at work?

Maybe I am ignorant, but does Spanx offer outer clothing?
I meant spandex lol.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Does your boss wear sneakers? If not, I wouldn't.

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:37 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:29 pm
No.

Sneakers = Casual
I agree. I think a lot of people are talking about dressing casual at a business which to me is different than the phrase business casual. "Business casual" the phrase doesn't include flip flops, shorts, t-shirts, etc. anywhere. Tech firms where people dress like that are casual, not business casual.
Good point worth considering. This had not occurred to me.

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:10 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:33 pm
BH is a fine place for clothing advice. It is the worst place for fashion advice!
Can you say why please?
Thanks.

chrisdds98

Post by chrisdds98 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this previously but you can design nikes online and make them all black so that it is less obvious that its an athletic shoe. I tried that before I found ecco which are extremely comfortable (and look decent for business casual). believe it or not I actually use that at home when riding my stationary bike. they are actually more comfortable then my nikes...

cal_orchid

Post by cal_orchid » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:40 pm

The answer is very industry-specific, but I have seen a lot of colleagues wear nice leather sneakers (eccos) or dark-colored Allbirds (ubiquitous in Silicon Valley) on business casual days.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:54 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:10 pm
daveydoo wrote:
Can you say why please?
Thanks.
You're the OP so presumably you've seen my posts above and the posts that I felt were insightful. I especially liked the examples that stimulacra showed early on. Oh, and the one right above from cal_orchid is helpful, imo -- I'm sure there are others.

All the "no sneakers ever" posts aren't reflective of the range of options out there. I've seen this on other fashion-oriented threads here (no pun intended). Quoting some century-old inviolate rule. But I can show you a guy in well-fitting dark-washed jeans, maybe a nice sweater, and fashionable sneaker-like shoes who will look more put together, more "professional," and inspire more confidence than someone in "business casual" ill-fitting pleated chinos and "dress shoes." I'm not saying that I can pull these looks off successfully but many, many folks can -- I'm a few years out of the demo.

It's like food vs. dining. Great tips here for where to buy wine or avocados cheap. But restaurant advice ranges from Michelin to the guy who would happily consume a tasteless nutrient paste at home because food is for sustenance (I remember his handle but won't list it here).

And I won't even get into the difference between fashion and style. I pretty much have neither (hint: you can buy the former but not the latter), but I get the distinction and I think I recognize it in others. I know the women in my household do. :D
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
daveydoo wrote:
Can you say why please?
Thanks.
I didn't make the comment, but frugality and fashion don't always go hand and hand. I also remember a thread about travel and packing and was surprised how many people bring those travel-type clothes and wash them out in the sink and make do with 2 or 3 outfits for 2 weeks. I wouldn't generalize too much (and say few Bogleheads know fashion), but it probably isn't the best place for fashion advice. Many Bogleheads consider a Toyota Camry to be fashionable :shock:
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:44 pm

cal_orchid wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:40 pm
The answer is very industry-specific, but I have seen a lot of colleagues wear nice leather sneakers (eccos) or dark-colored Allbirds (ubiquitous in Silicon Valley) on business casual days.
Not anymore.
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/9/14 ... shion-tech

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Thesaints wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:44 pm
cal_orchid wrote:
Not anymore.
Because one "stylist" says so? There is no right or wrong answer, it completely depends on the norms of the distinct environment that you are in. This is another one of those threads that are pointless, filled with posters stating their anecdotes as if they are generalizable fact (I am just as guilty of this as the next person). Only thing I can see with any degree of certainty is that the shoes in the OP probably aren't going to fly in most "professional" work environments; well, at least not mine, which is (IMO) conservative but a lot more casual than the norm.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Perhaps, but allbirds and hoodie sweaters are so 2017... You wanna be kewl in the valley.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:29 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:56 pm
Thesaints wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:44 pm
cal_orchid wrote:
Not anymore.
Because one "stylist" says so? There is no right or wrong answer, it completely depends on the norms of the distinct environment that you are in. This is another one of those threads that are pointless, filled with posters stating their anecdotes as if they are generalizable fact (I am just as guilty of this as the next person). Only thing I can see with any degree of certainty is that the shoes in the OP probably aren't going to fly in most "professional" work environments; well, at least not mine, which is (IMO) conservative but a lot more casual than the norm.
So last time I was at the gym, I paid attention to what shoes people were wearing. What I saw were probably 2/3-3/4 running shoes and the rest Vans/Converse. While some of this may be industry specific, I think we can say with certainty anything you would wear to the gym is casual wear. If you would wear them with gym shorts and a tank top to lift weights, then the shoes are casual.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:20 am

daveydoo wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:54 pm
get_g0ing wrote:
daveydoo wrote:
Can you say why please?
Thanks.
You're the OP so presumably you've seen my posts above and the posts that I felt were insightful. I especially liked the examples that stimulacra showed early on. Oh, and the one right above from cal_orchid is helpful, imo -- I'm sure there are others.

All the "no sneakers ever" posts aren't reflective of the range of options out there. I've seen this on other fashion-oriented threads here (no pun intended). Quoting some century-old inviolate rule. But I can show you a guy in well-fitting dark-washed jeans, maybe a nice sweater, and fashionable sneaker-like shoes who will look more put together, more "professional," and inspire more confidence than someone in "business casual" ill-fitting pleated chinos and "dress shoes." I'm not saying that I can pull these looks off successfully but many, many folks can -- I'm a few years out of the demo.

It's like food vs. dining. Great tips here for where to buy wine or avocados cheap. But restaurant advice ranges from Michelin to the guy who would happily consume a tasteless nutrient paste at home because food is for sustenance (I remember his handle but won't list it here).

And I won't even get into the difference between fashion and style. I pretty much have neither (hint: you can buy the former but not the latter), but I get the distinction and I think I recognize it in others. I know the women in my household do. :D
To be clear:
The responses above aren't "no sneakers ever". They are "no sneakers ever" IF you are told the attire for an office or event is "business casual". Sneakers are not "business casual".

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:30 am

I haven't read all of the other responses, however part of it depends on the industry you work in. I'm in the music industry and wear sneakers most days. Yesterday, our CEO was wearing shorts and Converse shoes.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:50 am

Some people seem to be getting pretty worked up about this topic. They must be upset that they have to play "dress up" every day. :twisted:

I judge people by their level of physical fitness far more than what they're wearing. A fit person in a polo (sneakers or not) will always look more professional to me than an overweight person in a suit.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:08 pm

We just received a Macy's catalog/flyer this week and it had a photo of a male model wearing a suit with sneakers. Caught my wife's eye and when she mentioned it, I thought of this thread.

So...anything goes these days.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:05 pm

Thesaints wrote:
cal_orchid wrote: The answer is very industry-specific, but I have seen a lot of colleagues wear nice leather sneakers (eccos) or dark-colored Allbirds (ubiquitous in Silicon Valley) on business casual days.
Not anymore.
Haha! Fun article about the Silicon Valley fashion stylist. This about khakis and flip-flops 8-)
Q - Do you have any die-hard fashion no-nos?

A - Nobody should be wearing khakis. I don’t even care if you’re on the East Coast. There are other color options, like dark olive green. Also, I don’t ever, ever, ever want to see flip-flops. Period. Okay? I don’t care if they are rubber or leather, and I don’t care if you are “just wearing them to your friend’s barbecue on the weekends.” No, you’re not. You look ridiculous.
Gulp :shock: we'll have to let South Florida Bogleheads know, so they don't look ridiculous at our next local chapter meeting :mrgreen: