[New Vanguard website layout starting Saturday, August 11]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
lostdog

Re: [New Vanguard website layout starting Saturday, August 11]

Post by lostdog » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:27 pm

I am liking the new look. Smartphone friendly also.
Hear the clock ticking? That’s your life flying by while you listen to market pundits and watch stock prices fluctuate. -Humble Dollar

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:22 pm

I feel like my post will get lost in this tread.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Vanguard loses its soul with new website

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:24 pm

^^^ Jumping to the top of a new page can do that. Here it is again. (You raise some valid points, but the post belongs in this thread.)
BoglePaul wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:24 pm
Vanguard’s previous website design reflected the values of “Vanguarding” whereas the new Vanguard website design offers soulless minimalism.

“Vanguarding” means:
1) Focusing on the Big Picture (focusing on Asset Allocation)
2) Avoiding short-term trading and market-timing (investing for the Long-Term)
3) Avoiding Unnecessary Fees (keeping an eye on Expense Ratios)

1) An “Asset Allocation vs Target Allocation” Chart was the first information displayed upon logging in to Vanguard’s previous website. On the new Vanguard website, account balance is the first information displayed. I feel like bringing my focus to the change in my account balance causes me to react and trade on an individual fund or ETFs performance whereas bringing my focus to my asset allocation helps me think about the big picture and reach my retirement goals. Forcing me to see my asset allocation did not align with my target allocation eventually sank in. Today my asset allocation is close to my target allocation thanks this chart. On the new Vanguard website, the asset allocation chart is hidden on another tab. The Vanguard website should continue to reflect their values and display an asset allocation chart first.

2) When focusing on Long-Term investing for retirement, I want to make thoughtful decisions. Vanguard’s new website has a stimulating, bright white background color, which is shown to encourage activity (and why “Dark Mode” was introduced to various operating systems, so we may get some sleep at night). When focusing on investing for retirement, I do not want to be stimulated into making a poor trade decision. Vanguard’s previous website had a calming Beige background. Bring back the Beige background (not to mention the additional blue light contained in the white background damages our eyes which is why they introduced ‘night mode’ on our mobile phones). The Vanguard website should continue to reflect their values and display a non-stimulating background color when we are reviewing our life-savings.

3) The Expense Ratio column was displayed on the Summary Screen of Vanguard’s previous website. I found the expense ratio column enlightening as some of the funds I owned had high expenses. Keeping an eye on Expense Rations has helped me gravitate towards investments with lower expense ratios, i.e. Vanguard Funds. I thank whoever designed the previous Vanguard Website. The new Vanguard removes the expense rations column from the summary tab and hides it on the “Prices & Returns” tab. The Vanguard website should continue to reflect their values and display an expense ratios column on the summary tab.

Vanguard’s logo is a ship because it is about the journey of investing for the long-term, focusing on the big picture and avoiding unnecessary fees. The new Vanguard website should continue to reflect these values in site design. If you feel the same as me, please contact your Vanguard Representative and ask them to modify the new website.

Original website: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/myacco ... esholdings
New website: https://personal.vanguard.com/my-accounts/holdings/
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

BoglePaul

Re: New layout of vanguard.com

Post by BoglePaul » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm

mega317 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:13 pm
I would be shocked if they could make design changes to the website that quickly after Fidelity rolled out their new funds. And what's the utility in hiding a 0.04% expense ratio? From people who already own the fund?
Yes, I agree this disappearance of expense ratios feels like a reaction to Fidelity's new funds. Vanguard investors are wise enough to know there is no free lunch. Vanguard should not hide the .04% fee difference and instead highlight the difference in dividends on the Vanguard Cash Management Account vs Fidelity's (Vanguard's pays much more!). Send a message to your Vanguard representative today asking them to bring back the expense ratios to the summary page! I did earlier today.
Last edited by BoglePaul on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm

BoglePaul wrote:
Vanguard’s previous website design reflected the values of “Vanguarding” whereas the new Vanguard website design offers soulless minimalism.

“Vanguarding” means:

1) An “Asset Allocation vs Target Allocation” Chart was the first information displayed upon logging in to Vanguard’s previous website. On the new Vanguard website, account balance is the first information displayed. I feel like bringing my focus to the change in my account balance causes me to react and trade on an individual fund or ETFs performance whereas bringing my focus to my asset allocation helps me think about the big picture and reach my retirement goals. Forcing me to see my asset allocation did not align with my target allocation eventually sank in. Today my asset allocation is close to my target allocation thanks this chart. On the new Vanguard website, the asset allocation chart is hidden on another tab. The Vanguard website should continue to reflect their values and display an asset allocation chart first.

2) When focusing on Long-Term investing for retirement, I want to make thoughtful decisions. Vanguard’s new website has a stimulating, bright white background color, which is shown to encourage activity (and why “Dark Mode” was introduced to various operating systems, so we may get some sleep at night). When focusing on investing for retirement, I do not want to be stimulated into making a poor trade decision. Vanguard’s previous website had a calming Beige background. Bring back the Beige background (not to mention the additional blue light contained in the white background damages our eyes which is why they introduced ‘night mode’ on our mobile phones). The Vanguard website should continue to reflect their values and display a non-stimulating background color when we are reviewing our life-savings.

3) The Expense Ratio column was displayed on the Summary Screen of Vanguard’s previous website. I found the expense ratio column enlightening as some of the funds I owned had high expenses. Keeping an eye on Expense Rations has helped me gravitate towards investments with lower expense ratios, i.e. Vanguard Funds. I thank whoever designed the previous Vanguard Website. The new Vanguard removes the expense rations column from the summary tab and hides it on the “Prices & Returns” tab. The Vanguard website should continue to reflect their values and display an expense ratios column on the summary tab.

Vanguard’s logo is a ship because it is about the journey of investing for the long-term, focusing on the big picture and avoiding unnecessary fees. The new Vanguard website should continue to reflect these values in site design. If you feel the same as me, please contact your Vanguard Representative and ask them to modify the new website.

First post after being registered for four years?!?!
Excellent post. Chime in more often, please.

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:36 pm

am wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:42 pm
I am seeing a new layout of my online accounts. There is a notable absence of expense ratios and the mutual funds and etfs are lumped into one without subheadings. Anyone else seeing this? After some clicking on the site, it goes back to the old format. I wonder if they did this to deemphasize fees given the recent fidelity changes?
Agreed! The website change feels like a reaction to Fidelity. I feel Vanguard is throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Vanguard should not hide the .04% fee difference and instead highlight the difference in dividends on the Vanguard Cash Management Account vs Fidelity's (Vanguard's pays much more!). Send a message to your Vanguard representative today asking them to bring back the expense ratios to the summary page! I did earlier today.

Post by 2015 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Just logged in and no change. My baby and bathwater are there and doing just fine.

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:49 pm

2015 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:59 pm
Just logged in and no change. My baby and bathwater are there and doing just fine.
As mentioned some users see the new page, some do not (seems like they are A/B testing). At some point, you will get the new view or see it now...

Direct link to see what the change will look like: https://personal.vanguard.com/my-accounts/holdings/

Post by 2015 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Nope, no change.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:27 pm

This new design just hit me within the last couple of days. One thing that I don't like is that when I click on an account in what used is called "Account overview" screen in the old design, and what I now see is the Balances tab in the new design, I am taken to the first account in the new Holdings tab. Previously, I was taken to the account I clicked on in the Balances & holdings screen. I have a fairly large number of accounts, including accounts I'm an agent for, so it was quite convenient to be able to jump directly to the account of interest from the Account overview screen, and I can't do that now.

Another thing I don't like is that when I click Transact -> Trade bonds or CDs within an account in the Holdings tab, I'm forced to select an account in the next screen. By contrast, if I select Buy and sell -> Trade bonds or CDs in the (old) Balances and holdings screen, it takes me directly to the Find bonds and CDs screen, using the account I was in in the Balances & holdings screen. Definitely a step backwards.

Other than these two specifics, my general impression of the new design is that I don't like the look and feel of it. I'll have to play around with it some to see if I see any benefits in it. In the meantime, thanks to this thread, I see that it's quick to get to Balances & holdings by hovering over My accounts in the top banner, then selecting Balances & holdings.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

zuma

Post by zuma » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:21 am

I don't like any of the changes so far.

Activity tab: previously I could see a single consolidated list of transactions from all of my accounts. Now the transactions are grouped by account. Not helpful for me.

In general, the typography is terrible, the layout requires a lot of scrolling to see relevant information, and it's painfully slow navigating between tabs.

I'm still more or less satisfied with Vanguard as a broker, but this kind of regression, if it continues, will make me consider other options like Schwab or Fidelity.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:10 pm

BoglePaul wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:22 pm
I feel like my post will get lost in this tread.
Fear not. :wink:
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:24 pm
^^^ Jumping to the top of a new page can do that. Here it is again. (You raise some valid points, but the post belongs in this thread.)
BoglePaul wrote:

“Vanguarding” means:

A Vanguard Representative phoned me today to say the letter I submitted was being reviewed by high level management. The representative also agreed with all three talking points and said they would like to see them as well. Hoping Vanguard stays just the way it is :-)

mega317

Re: New layout of vanguard.com

Post by mega317 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:51 pm

BoglePaul wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm
mega317 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:13 pm
I would be shocked if they could make design changes to the website that quickly after Fidelity rolled out their new funds. And what's the utility in hiding a 0.04% expense ratio? From people who already own the fund?
Yes, I agree this disappearance of expense ratios feels like a reaction to Fidelity's new funds.
I was saying the opposite.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:20 pm

BoglePaul wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:24 pm
BoglePaul wrote:

“Vanguarding” means:

A Vanguard Representative phoned me today to say the letter I submitted was being reviewed by high level management. The representative also agreed with all three talking points and said they would like to see them as well. Hoping Vanguard stays just the way it is :-)
Outstanding. Please keep us updated.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:25 pm

zuma wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:21 am

Activity tab: previously I could see a single consolidated list of transactions from all of my accounts. Now the transactions are grouped by account. Not helpful for me.

In general, the typography is terrible, the layout requires a lot of scrolling to see relevant information, and it's painfully slow navigating between tabs.

I'm still more or less satisfied with Vanguard as a broker, but this kind of regression, if it continues, will make me consider other options like Schwab or Fidelity.
I must have been granted immunity. My layout hasn't changed in years.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

sketchy9

Post by sketchy9 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:49 am

I just logged in and had the new interface. I'm on a desktop PC-- I refuse to do anything of financial consequence on my smartphone. I hate this interface, as it continues the "smartphone-ization" of the web. It's quite obviously designed for viewing on a smartphone or tablet, and a touch interface. Large, unused amounts of white space between pertinent items which then leads to a need to scroll endlessly to see the end of the page. Get used to it-- this is the trend of the web. It's not new and it's not going to stop.

keystone

Post by keystone » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:11 am

zuma wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:21 am

I'm with you. I don't like the larger fonts and there seems to be less of a border separating each account. It just seems more disorganized. I typically keep an open mind when there are website changes and after 2 weeks I still find myself strongly preferring the previous layout.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:23 pm

I don't notice anything new, but the Holdings screen seems fairly recent (last two years or so) and I disliked it right away: too bright, mixture of large and small fonts. It bothered me immediately and I don't even see the purpose. Actually, the appearance is harsh and I just simply always want to avoid it. (It has Transition icons to convert to the brokerage accounts which I just noticed this morning.)

I do all of my work on the Balance and Holdings screen with no complaints. Can't believe that anyone would transact from a little phone screen. I won't even use my iPad for that.

But my ultimate screen is my finely detailed Google Drive spreadsheet which I stare at interminably before actually doing anything.

Ricchan

Post by Ricchan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:20 pm

I don't like the new look. I've been using it for the past two weeks in an attempt to give the new look a chance to grow on me, but it has done anything but that.

1. White background everywhere. Previously, the intermittent beige backgrounds helped separate and define table headers, sections, and different accounts. Now everything blends together in one white blob.

2. No separation of funds, ETFs, bonds, and CDs. It used to be easy to quickly identify the section of the page that had the type of investments you wanted to find. Now, because the holdings page is one big white blob (see #1 above), it takes a little more time and effort to find what you're looking for, which translates to more frustration. And we all know frustration is an exponential function of time wasted...

3. Larger fonts means more scrolling is required to see everything, and it's less possible to "see everything on one page." Perhaps this is not a big deal for simple accounts, but when you have IRA and custodial accounts on top of your brokerage account, along with a number of CDs and bonds, you end up having to scroll more to see everything with the new layout.

4. Hovering your mouse over a row no longer highlights it. Minor thing, but it was a nice touch that made it easier (for me at least) to find something and click on it.

In the end, it feels like a move towards minimalism at the expense of functionality and clarity. Perhaps they believe it delivers a more uniform experience across mobile devices, but they don't seem to care if it means making sacrifices to the desktop experience.

Post by 2015 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:12 pm

The title of this thread is misleading as it implies global change for all VG account holders. Still no change of any kind for me as of 8/29/18. I suspect others are in the same boat.

dccboone

Post by dccboone » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:01 pm

BoglePaul wrote:
... Vanguard’s new website has a stimulating, bright white background color, which is shown to encourage activity (and why “Dark Mode” was introduced to various operating systems, so we may get some sleep at night). When focusing on investing for retirement, I do not want to be stimulated into making a poor trade decision.

Sorry, but I’m going to be the contrarian. I like it. It’s just a simple website redesign, nothing more. And without some compelling facts, I don’t believe any background color will stimulate me to change my buy & hold investment behavior. It would take one heck of a lot more than that to push me toward that precipice. Collectively, if this is our biggest problem then life must be pretty sweet.
:sharebeer

lepa71

vanguard "Go to Holdings Summary" vs "Balances and holdings"

Post by lepa71 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:23 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I'm wondering if you guys see this new layout. It used to be when I click account name on "account overview" page it would take me to "Balances and holdings" but now it takes me to "Go to Holdings Summary". Which looks very odd to me. Fonts are bad in FF and Chrome. ETFs and MF are mixed together. It's simply not easy to read. I know I can get to "Balances and holdings" page by going to "My Account" and then select "Balances and holdings" from the drop-down menu.

Is there a way to go back?

Thanks

jebmke

Re: vanguard "Go to Holdings Summary" vs "Balances and holdings"

Post by jebmke » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:31 pm

There have been other threads on this. My account still goes directly to the Balances and Holdings when I click on an account. I have not seen a change in my interface for a long time. It may be that they are rolling out a new UI and just have not gotten to me.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

lepa71

Post by lepa71 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:37 pm

I wish they wouldn't roll out that feature at all.

CP4641

Post by CP4641 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:38 pm

I've noticed that if you chose to download and then cancel the holdings view reverts to the old format.

bayview

Post by bayview » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:43 pm

So far, so good.

With all the IT and web design majors, can't they come up with non-startling + user-friendly + effective + efficient interfaces?

I'm one of those old you-know-whats who rears back on its hind legs when a habitual click takes me to something completely unfamiliar.

Simple and streamlined is the ideal for me. And I would even deal with new page layouts if they would stick to that simple and streamlined bit.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:04 pm

I merged lepa71's thread into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:31 pm

I miss the red type on yellow background. That used to be really easy to read.

Every day it seems another website gets wrecked,

MFInvestor

Post by MFInvestor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 am

I am continuing to see the new website display when I logon which I am not a fan of.

For those of you that are seeing the new display and prefer the old display I stumbled upon the following when logged on that allows you to see the old display.

1) Logon to account and the new display is presented.

2) The top bar across the page has the following options: Home, My Accounts, Investing, .........

3) Select My Accounts and the following options are presented: Account Overview, Balances and Holdings, Cost Basis...…..

4) Select Balances and Holdings and this will take you to the old format which is preferable to me and also seems to be the opinion of the majority of posters.

I still find it very confusing that Vanguard has not provided any notification of the current changes to users. It just appeared without explanation. This doesn't seem to be the normal way to introduce changes.

I wonder what percentage of Vanguard users are seeing the new format. Reading the opinions expressed here leads me to believe that many users are not seeing the new format when they logon.

I find it interesting that the new format downplays expense ratios of holdings as they are now less obvious. Is this intentional or an oversight?

One plus of the new format is that it presents current valuation of accounts versus stale ones which was confusing.

I also use the iPad application which I prefer compared to Vanguard.com. There have been no changes when logging on using the iPad application.Which results in my preference of using the iPad application.

lepa71

Post by lepa71 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:47 pm

This is what I've done. I clicked on "Feedback at the bottom right corner and rated "needs improvement" with the comment
I really don't like the new way of clicking on linked account that would take me to "Holdings". I much prefer the old way when it takes me to "Balances & holdings".
I think if you don't like the current layout you could submit the feedback as well.