Amazon Prime - Value?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TresBelle65

Amazon Prime - Value?

Post by TresBelle65 »

A decreasing number of my Amazon shipments arrive in 2 days - and this is not due to the shippers. Upon clicking to pay, I see now most items estimated to arrive in up to 5 days.

I tried to ask why using Chat or Phone, but the reps don't seem to have an answer. They appear to be reading from a script without an ability to discuss beyond scripted sound bites.

I am beginning to question the value of a Prime membership - if I am no longer receiving expedited shipping.

Are you still finding value in paying for a Prime membership?
Glockenspiel

Re: Amazon Prime - Value?

Post by Glockenspiel »

Prime Video, Prime photos, prime music, free 6 month Washington Post subscription, and Whole Foods discounts still make it worthwhile to me.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

TresBelle65 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:40 am A decreasing number of my Amazon shipments arrive in 2 days - and this is not due to the shippers. Upon clicking to pay, I see now most items estimated to arrive in up to 5 days.

I tried to ask why using Chat or Phone, but the reps don't seem to have an answer. They appear to be reading from a script without an ability to discuss beyond scripted sound bites.

I am beginning to question the value of a Prime membership - if I am no longer receiving expedited shipping.

Mine arrive in 2 days generally. Note that if they are promised to and don't, and you complain, they will put a credit on your account. The amount varies. Perhaps it's where you live (?).

One of the main reasons I use it is that it avoids (for the most part, not all the time) the US Postal Service. If I miss items shipped by USPS, I have to go to the post office and (usually) wait on a line. This alone is a huge waste of time and obviating the need to do this more than makes up for the cost of Prime.

I also watch many of their TV shows, and now get WF discounts. I think it is worth it, but "worth" is subjective.
Ged

Post by Ged »

For me, yes I get plenty of value out of it. It's rare that something doesn't arrive in 2 days. Sometimes it's one day.

Plus I use Amazon's other Prime services like streaming etc.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Before clicking on it, make sure it says Prime on it. Amazon sells more and more stuff from 3rd party dealers and those aren't covered under prime shipping rules. If it says prime on it when I click to add it to my shopping basket, it almost always gets to me in two days and if it doesn't, you can get a refund. Besides that, I use their storage, music and streaming video services as well as a few other features so I find it a very good deal.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I find value in only one thing in Prime. The ability to watch Grand Tour. I now wait until the series is over, sign up for one month, binge watch and cancel.

For the few things that I still get from Amazon, I'll add a gallon of motor oil or 2 to bring the total over $35 to get free shipping. I could care less if I get it in 2 days or 2 weeks. So much of their stuff comes from mainland China anyways that the shipping time is never 2 days.

I don't shop at Whole Foods and I don't read newspapers so don't see any reason to pay money to Amazon.

(and yes, I know I could just torrent the GT shows)

Lately, I've decided to buy locally when I can. I'd rather give the money to the locally owned NAPA so that they'll be there when I am working on a car and need something right away. I'm really trying to avoid Amazon and it's actually really easy to do for me.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
stl717

Post by stl717 »

I cancelled Prime a year or two ago. We really haven't missed it much.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

YMMV. It depends on what value you want from it and what value you get. I question it some days, but it keeps being worthwhile for me.
AAA

Post by AAA »

Interesting - I'm not a Prime member and chose the free shipping option for my last two orders and they arrived in a couple of days. In one case delivery was made on a Sunday.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 am I find value in only one thing in Prime. The ability to watch Grand Tour. I now wait until the series is over, sign up for one month, binge watch and cancel.
+1. At this point Prime is no more than Netflix for us. We never, ever, get things on time; we realize that is predominantly because of our horrible local post office, but it is what it is. Also, having Prime, my wife spends way more on Amazon on random things that we don't need. I'd cancel it in a heartbeat, but it does have some entertainment value...and the wife would kill me.
DrivingFun

Post by DrivingFun »

Mike Scott wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:08 am YMMV. It depends on what value you want from it and what value you get. I question it some days, but it keeps being worthwhile for me.
This.

If you're only using it for 2 day shipping, then perhaps it's time to evaluate whether you actually need your items in 2 days. It's easy enough to get to the 25 dollar limit, especially if you stack items that don't need ASAP. Otherwise if you use many of the other services/perks, then it might as well be worth it.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

DW and I LOVE Prime......we both have stuffed delivered from Amazon 3-4 times per weeks; as the holidays near, that frequency will increase significantly. Most of the items are delivered with two days.....in a few cases it has been delivered in one day.....in a few.....maybe 3 days but for the most part, Prime has great value......... :sharebeer
farnsy

Post by farnsy »

I buy way too much stuff on Amazon to not have prime. I don't really care about 2 day versus super saver shipping, but I do care about shipping minimums. When I didn't have prime I would end up searching around trying to add enough things to my cart to get to $35 so I could get free shipping. I ended up buying a lot of crap I don't need for that reason.

Prime has been a real money saver for me.

Post by 123 »

Ged wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:46 am For me, yes I get plenty of value out of it. It's rare that something doesn't arrive in 2 days. Sometimes it's one day.

Plus I use Amazon's other Prime services like streaming etc.
+1 Many of our orders arrive in 2 days. We had one order for a replacement hard drive that I had ordered for 2 day delivery and it arrived within 12 hours. It was ordered it late in the evening and it arrived before noon the next day.

Amazon Prime cuts down my purchasing because we only get what we ordered. we don't pick up other items while in the store or shop other places on the way home. We save a couple of dollars on each order in gas/time/parking expense with home or locker delivey. We can pick-up at Amazon locker in conjunction with a trip for groceries.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We get 90% of prime items in 2 days and usually order something once a week. Besides two day shipping we use the music streaming at the gym and also stream prime video quite a bit during certain times of the year. Prime shopping has a lot of value for us because we do not live (thankfully) near a giant city that has the usual unending retail.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

We dropped prime, after many years of loyal subscription. We weren't using it much after we started reducing our overall personal possessions last year. This is after 35 years of an upward trajectory of junk accumulation, but with a baby on the way we wanted to become more minimalist.

For the odd doodad we need, we just get it straight from the source (China) via eBay or AliExpress.

I buy groceries by bike from Aldi, Amazon is unable to compete with Aldi prices. My transportation costs to the grocery store are roughly zero.

We do occasionally buy stuff from Amazon nonprime, but it was less than 30 dollars the last two months. I just hope they don't come out with a new Bosch season to drag me back in.

We use target.com more than Amazon these days. Sometimes my DW will go to Target (1.5 miles away) and return several hours later... Must be her sanctuary. I'm not sure where she'll go if things go 100% online.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

I think it's worth it for a month around the holidays. Otherwise, I subconsciously buy things I don't really need if I have a Prime membership to make it feel worth it (same with Costco, although I find Costco more valuable). I've been using eBay and Walmart more. Amazon customer service and perks have gone downhill now that they've swallowed local businesses and gotten huge.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We have been Prime Members for many years. However, with the latest bump to $120+tax, we will not be renewing next year.

Initially, we were watching many of their Prime Video shows and other items, but we just don't watch TV anymore. When you put the whole "add-on" program items on top of that, it doesn't make sense for us.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I don't have any issues with items arriving when promised, but I live in a major metropolitan area with an Amazon warehouse.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

I was Prime for years and stopped. I buy much less at Amazon now, but looking at my purchase history much of it was stuff that I really didn't need, so I'm saving money both in the Prime fee and by consuming less. Everything else I can either buy locally, buy through Amazon and have a bit more patience, or get through another online store (sometimes using Shoprunner which is free with Amex cards.)

I don't miss any of the other features of Amazon Prime. Never used music, their video selection isn't as good as other streaming services, don't shop at Whole Foods, etc.

I too noticed Prime items arriving later than usual; they used to give you a month of free Prime as compensation without, then moved to giving you a minor credit with enough hassling.
Mjar

Post by Mjar »

TresBelle65 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:40 am A decreasing number of my Amazon shipments arrive in 2 days - and this is not due to the shippers. Upon clicking to pay, I see now most items estimated to arrive in up to 5 days.

are you filtering by Prime in your searches? If I don't do this then 1/4th of my results are 3+ days in shipping. Like another post said, Prime has other benefits than just shipping, if you are not using them then seriously consider exploring them to see if they can be of use and maximize the costs.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Recently I went to order an item via Prime and it was 2 day. I changed the address to my cottage, 80 miles away, and it became 5 days. I finally chatted and asked and was told "the warehouse near your 2nd address doesn't have it in stock". I told the rep that these addresses were 80 miles apart, and that delivery by any service (UPS, FedEx, USPS) would be the same, so why did the warehouse matter?

He upgraded THAT order to 2 day (it came in one) manually.

So it's likely a warehouse issue.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

I still have it for Grand Tour. One thing I have thought about is whether it makes sense to switch to monthly and drop prime during low usage months. I agree with what others have said about third party shipping. Third party stuff doesn't typically have prime, but you can click the other sellers option and there may be a slightly more expensive price for the same item in prime. Then you just have to decide how quickly you need the item.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I don't really have Prime for the faster free shipping anyway. It's a nice perk, but I was fine with just using Super Saver shipping before.

Mostly I derive value from Prime Video and (with the Prime credit card) the extra cashback for Whole Foods and Amazon purchases. I'll take advantage of Prime Reading and Prime Music now and then too.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Topic Author
TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 »

Yes, the items I am ordering for 2 day shipment are Prime items.

I may drop the membership, but wanted to ask a question first

I only occasionally watch Prime Video - and even then, it's usually to watch movies I pay extra for.

Here's a naive question. If I cancel my Prime Video, can I still order shows/movies and watch them via Prime?

Thanks
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

farnsy wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:17 am I buy way too much stuff on Amazon to not have prime. I don't really care about 2 day versus super saver shipping, but I do care about shipping minimums. When I didn't have prime I would end up searching around trying to add enough things to my cart to get to $35 so I could get free shipping. I ended up buying a lot of crap I don't need for that reason.

Prime has been a real money saver for me.

+1 :sharebeer
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Worth it for us. Usually watching shows on Amazon Video. Occasional discounts at Whole Foods. WaPo subscriptions. And, oh yes, they have this service where you order stuff online, and they ship it to you for free!
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I seem to get everything in 2 days.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 am I find value in only one thing in Prime. The ability to watch Grand Tour. I now wait until the series is over, sign up for one month, binge watch and cancel.
+2
I have had Prime for 2 months this year. After I binge watch Grand Tour, I watch old Top Gear episodes from the 2000s until my month is up. I don't anticipate getting back on it again until the new series is out again. For the month that I have Prime, I usually struggle finding stuff I want to buy.
galectin

Post by galectin »

We got it as a gift for Christmas from out daughter and have found it worthwhile. The most valuable part to us is the prime video. The two-day shipping is also useful because, as other posters have said, we don't have to try to get an order to $35 for free shipping. We are going to tell our daughter that a renewal for next year would be a good gift, although we would pay for it ourselves if needed.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

Most stuff comes to me in 2 days or less. I would say 30%+ in 1 day at no fee, 60%+ two days, remaining <10% sometimes odd things happen
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

We usually receive items within the 2 days. If we notice we don't we call and complain and they give us a free month.
We also started watching the "jack ryan" series on Amazon Prime streaming TV and also use Amazon Prime music sometimes. These three things together (free 2-day shipping + Streaming Video/Music) gives us the value of the membership.
Last edited by GoldStar on Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:13 pm Worth it for us. Usually watching shows on Amazon Video. Occasional discounts at Whole Foods. WaPo subscriptions. And, oh yes, they have this service where you order stuff online, and they ship it to you for free!
Plus John Krasinski as Jack Ryan. Who who have thought it? Pretty good so far.
nyclon

Post by nyclon »

Agreed, shipping times are disappointing. A rep upgraded shipping on a 100% prime eligible order yesterday and the earliest they could get it to my major metro area was 11 calendar days. They said the issue was "location of distribution centers" - which doesn't add up.

I dropped prime a few years ago. Walmart, target, vitacost, home depot, and several other ecom sites always deliver for free before Amazon to me. Usually within three business days, the way Amazon used to. Amazon used to be great.

Not only that, but Amazon's prices are far from the best anymore.

Waiting for an Amazon delivery is like waiting for a non-amazon delivery five years ago - their service and prices have flip flopped.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Yes indeed.
No problems.
Video ,prime music are enough to make it worthwhile for us.
119 a year?
I consider it a bargain.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Whether it is a good value is a judgement each individual has to make for herself.

For us, $119 is not much money and the benefits of easy selection, fair prices and easy return are worth it. Plus the benefits of Kindle, audio and video. For us, it's a no brainer.
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

the biggest value i see in prime is being able to buy stuff with free shipping without having to hit that ever increasing minimum spend amount. I usually dont care if something comes in 2 days vs 3-4 days and often opt for the no rush shipping.
wander

Post by wander »

I used to have prime but I cancelled because its prime movie selection was not so great and I didn't watch videos and listen music that much. I use that $120 a year for something else. When I need something, I place it in the shopping basket, and when I have something elses later I add it to get free shipping.
I also get better prices and free pick up at Walmart. Find something on Amazon, head to Walmart, you will potentially get better price.
Return policy is much easier at Amazon, but I rarely return anyway.
AAA

Post by AAA »

AAA wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:10 am Interesting - I'm not a Prime member and chose the free shipping option for my last two orders and they arrived in a couple of days. In one case delivery was made on a Sunday.
I may have to qualify my above comment. Apparently, some things ordered on eBay get delivered by Amazon. I ordered an item on eBay yesterday morning with free shipping and it was delivered by Amazon today, along with another Amazon-ordered item I was expecting today. Maybe it was those items - ordered from an eBay seller and delivered by Amazon - that came in a couple of days.
hmw

Post by hmw »

I noticed it too. I ordered a book on Amazon recently. Placed the order on Monday, and the estimated arrival was Friday and it did arrive on Friday. The book order was clearly “prime”. I wasn’t in a hurry and didn’t bother contacting Amazon to find out why it was not 2 days.

I feel that we still get pretty good value from the Prime membership with their 5% back on their cc, free shipping, and prime video.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

To me it’s incredibly valuable. Prime Video and Prime Music are used daily in my house. Packages almost always arrive in 1 or 2 days. When they don’t I complain and get a free month of membership.

Not quite as good as Netflix, not quite as good as Spotify, but basically 1/2 the price of having both.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Other services, like Walmart.com have caught or passed Amazon. I buy very little there anymore.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

We quit Prime a couple of years ago. Their music and video streaming libraries are not as complete as you find on Apple/Spotify and Netflix, respectively. Our shipping times approach those of Prime anyway, so it just wasn't worth it for us anymore. And now that it's been bumped up to $120, forget it.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Duplicate.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

I just got rid of my subscription. I found I was waiting to order things until I had more than a few things. Buying one thing at a time felt wasteful even if it was free. We also have enough streaming content with Netflix that amazon prime tv isn’t that important.
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

No, I found my family buying a lot of crap we didn't need. Too easy to press the 1-click buying option. I suspect we are saving 1-2k/yr now that we don't have prime. At xmas time, I'll set up a 1 month free trial and then cancel. You can have as many trial accounts as you want, as long as you use a different card each time. Since we churn cards, this isn't a problem. Walmart also has free two day shipping with no membership.
spidercharm

Post by spidercharm »

I stopped paying for prime a while back. What turned me was Walmart 2 day shipping with no costs. And they have grocery pick up as well with lot more items. Overall it worked out much better.

Prime video has always been "okay", not that great.

I also feel amazon pricing has been going up and you might want to compare before pushing buy button (just because you have prime). You might be paying more with each click compared to other options.
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

My teen is a gamer and wants to watch the Twitch tv channels. Needs Prime membership.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

stl717 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:55 am I cancelled Prime a year or two ago. We really haven't missed it much.
+1

Same.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Almost everything I order arrives on time in 1 or 2 days, if that was the expectation. I live in a big city so this probably helps.

I have the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards card which gives 5% back with Prime. The alternative is 3% without Prime. $6000 in spending would be the break-even point for a $120 Prime membership, which I don't meet, but it makes up some of the cost of membership. Other alternatives would be purchasing Amazon gift cards at grocery stores with the Blue Cash Preferred card for 6% back, but this is a hassle and it's pretty easy to cap out the BCP bonus spending category.

I follow the Doctor Of Credit blog and take advantage of offers like this which typically require Prime. It gave me $200 after taking advantage of it twice. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amazon-g ... -discount/

Many recent movie releases are available for free on Prime Video. I use IMDB to track my movie watchlist, and it conveniently has a filter for movies available on Prime Video.

Much of HBO's back catalog is available for free on Prime Video.

It's convenient to subscribe to HBO or other subscription channels through Prime Video Channels to consolidate everything in one UI, and Amazon used to be known as the highest quality source for streaming. However, I'm not sure the streaming quality is still the best, since anecdotally, I noticed a lot of crushed blacks on Amazon compared to HBO NOW when watching Succession.

I might start trying Whole Foods free delivery after waiting in line at my local Harris Teeter yesterday almost 30 minutes for checkout.

I recently got back in to gaming and Prime members receive a $10 credit for preorders on many big games. It can take a while for game prices to drop, so this is typically a good benefit.
Last edited by Ketawa on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.