Advice on how to deal with barking dogs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Call_Me_Op

Advice on how to deal with barking dogs

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:53 am

A neighbor keeps 2 dogs in a cage outside 24/7 all year round. The cage is ~ 150 - 200 feet from my house and is actually on the dog owner's wife's parent's lot. The owner's lot intersects the lot with the dog cages.

For many years, the dogs would bark (yelp) loudly all day but rarely if ever at night. I think he has replaced one of the dogs and now the barking is much of the day and on some nights, of and on all night. It has been affecting my ability to sleep. I keep my windows closed, sleep on the far side of the house, and have tried white noise. I can still hear the dogs - and I am a light sleeper. I cannot sleep with earplugs (too uncomfortable).

I called the owner's mother-in-law one night about 6 months ago, thinking she owned the dogs (since the cages are in her back-yard). She told me that they are not her dogs, but belong to her son-in-law, who is currently away. She promised that she would talk to him when he returns. Nothing changed.

I am getting to the point where I must do something - for health reasons. I have tried to talk to the dog owner before about excessive wood burning, and he has not demonstrated a willingness to compromise much if at all. I am looking for advice as to how to handle this. These are the two options I am weighing:

1.) Call the dog owner (I think I have his number) and nicely ask him if he can do something so that his dogs do not bark at night. The downside of this is that I must definitively reveal my identity in order to do that. He will probably resent having to modify his lifestyle for someone else's benefit. Note that when I sent him an anonymous letter about the wood burning (several years ago), he went around to all the neighbors to find out who had written the letter. When he asked me if it was me, I admitted to it. (I have a hard time lying.)

2.) Contact local animal control (and ask them to keep my name confidential as long as possible). They have a process to handle this. They will determine if the barking is excessive and if so, tell him to stop it. If he does not, they fine him. If he still does not stop it, the fine him again. Eventually, the town can take him to court - but I would have to appear, which would reveal my identity.

The second options will probably be more effective but is more likely to upset him.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Rupert

Re: Advice on how to deal with barking dogs

Post by Rupert » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:04 am

I think there's no way for you to rectify this anonymously. You're already going to be his number one suspect because of the prior letter incident and the call to his mother-in-law. So I would just confront the issue head on. I would first try to have a face-to-face polite conversation with the guy. If he's scary, if you're afraid he might be belligerent or violent, I'd just go through Animal Control and let the process take its course. Do the barking dogs bother other neighbors as well? Approaching this issue as a united front might help, especially if one of those neighbors is friendly with the guy.

Note: People in general do not respond well to written complaints, whether anonymous or not. I think you handled that prior matter the wrong way. If it were me, I'd start my conversation with the guy this time by apologizing (again?) for how that prior incident was handled.

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:07 am

I feel your pain. A barking dog is one of the worst types of neighbor problems IMO. I had an issue with my new neighbors new dog barking all day long when they were away. I sleep during the day in the dog was loud enough that I could hear it. It would also bark when we would go into the front yard with the kids to play. Completely restricted the use. Luckily my neighbors had no idea their dog was barking and when I asked them nicely about it they fix the problem. However I suspect most dog owners could care less. I had 2 dogs myself at the time who would only bark if someone came to the door.

If I were you I would call animal control. It sounds like this neighbor would not be very helpful.

DA

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:21 am

Call local animal control and also call local law enforcement to ask them about local noise ordnance laws and enforcement requirements. No one has a right to cause an ongoing nuisance and disrupt people's reasonable peace and enjoyment of their own property.

Failing that sell the house and move before it gets worse. Life is too short to have to live with people and issues like this.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:24 am

Dogs outside in a cage, 24/7?
Why have the dogs? But I digress.

First, how is the weather in the "Milky Way" (your location :wink: )
Does it get cold?
Do the dogs have shelter from rain, in addition to cold?
How big is the "cage". By "cage", do you really mean a "cage", or is this a large enclosed pen, with space to run?
Depending upon your answers... is Animal Control the same as Animal Welfare in your location?

Is the sanitation within the "cage" taken care of suitably?

He sounds like a great neighbor ("NOT!").
I'll avoid comment about why he's got his caged dogs on his in-law's property 24/7. :confused

Good luck.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:26 am

Thanks guys.

Rupert, there is a new neighbor (nice couple with a daughter) who recently moved in next to me. I am friendly with them and asked them if they are bothered by the barking. The wife told me that her husband has been awakened by the dogs early in the morning and has been unable to get back to sleep. So they are bothered, but are new to the neighborhood and it seems like they are willing to suffer with it. I can, however, mention my conversation with this new neighbor (either to the dog owner or animal control).

I see the owner manhandling his dogs but I do not think he would be violent with me. However, if I do contact him it would probably be by phone as he is hard to reach otherwise.

I think you are right that I cannot remain anonymous. The question I am grappling with at the moment is would it be productive or counter-productive to try to talk to him as a first step.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:30 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:24 am
Dogs outside in a cage, 24/7?
Why have the dogs? But I digress.

First, how is the weather in the "Milky Way" (your location :wink: )
Does it get cold?
Do the dogs have shelter from rain, in addition to cold?
How big is the "cage". By "cage", do you really mean a "cage", or is this a large enclosed pen, with space to run?
Depending upon your answers... is Animal Control the same as Animal Welfare in your location?

Is the sanitation within the "cage" taken care of suitably?

He sounds like a great neighbor ("NOT!").
I'll avoid comment about why he's got his caged dogs on his in-law's property 24/7. :confused

Good luck.

RM
Hi RM,

The cages are made of wood and wire and are large enough that each dog has about 2 body lengths. They are sheltered from rain, but he leaves the dogs out all year - even at night. And the temperature here can get to ten below zero F. So there may be an animal welfare concern here too.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 am

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:26 am
Thanks guys.

Rupert, there is a new neighbor (nice couple with a daughter) who recently moved in next to me. I am friendly with them and asked them if they are bothered by the barking. The wife told me that her husband has been awakened by the dogs early in the morning and has been unable to get back to sleep. So they are bothered, but are new to the neighborhood and it seems like they are willing to suffer with it. I can, however, mention my conversation with this new neighbor (either to the dog owner or animal control).

I see the owner manhandling his dogs but I do not think he would be violent with me. However, if I do contact him it would probably be by phone as he is hard to reach otherwise.

I think you are right that I cannot remain anonymous. The question I am grappling with at the moment is would it be productive or counter-productive to try to talk to him as a first step.
"Manhandling" the dogs?
This is getting worse...
If this is animal cruelty, you really need to do something.
Are you able to discreetly take a few photos (perhaps from inside your house) to document the "cage"? Or any mistreatment?
Hopefully you wouldn't need to use them.

RM

dbapaddy

Post by dbapaddy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:32 am

You have a right to peace/sleep/health. I had a very similar issue. Neighbor left dog out at night, chained up. Dog barked all the time. I called the cops, problem over. Neighbor went off deep end after that, but I wouldn't change a thing....am still dealing with fall out from it.

On the other hand, when my other neighbor's dogs bark, they always bring them in. I really wish there were more neighbors like that.

In my town, animal control start fining owners after issuing a warning. But I had to go through the police first...I guess that's the done thing around here.

Call the police and/or animal control. Research if ordinances exist that may cover your issue. Document the occurrences of the barking.

I believe another thing that you could do is take the owner to small claims for loss of sleep etc. May be a lot of hassle. But maybe hitting them in the wallet will resolve the issue.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:35 am

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Thanks guys.

If you are comfortable talking (and handling a possible confrontation) with the dog owner go ahead and do so. It is likely better to talk with owner first but certainly not required (especially if you are uncomfortable doing so). If you do talk to the owner, I'd make conversation simple and short, (also be sure to research and understand exactly what if any laws are being broken) and say "look I really don't want to call authorities, but unless the barking at night stops, you give me no choice". If you are not comfortable talking to him about this issue, don;t beat yourself up about it, go ahead and talk with animal control and or law enforcement to see if there is anything they can do.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:39 am

You are being too timid about this. Anything that disrupts your sleep should not be tolerated. I would not bother talking with the neighbor. They know the dogs bark at night and are unwilling to do anything for the consideration of their neighbors. I would call animal control and explain that this is a long term problem that has become intolerable and demand they fix the situation. That should get results, but if not, I would then file complaint with the police about noise.

No need to be anonymous. If confronted by your neighbor, just explain that you are losing sleep because of his dogs and that problem needs to be fixed.

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 am

There are ultrasonic devices you can purchase that may help.

We have a small handheld one to use on neighbors dogs when we're in the backyard. Our dogs are fairly well behaved, and just sniff through the fence, while the neighbors typically bark to the point of making it impossible to sit on the back patio. Since we've gotten the device, they stop barking almost immediately.

There are louder/larger ones that have a much larger range, and are activated with noise. Not sure if it would work, but could be something to consider. One I looked at is called the dog silencer max, similar models can be found on Google.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:44 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:35 am
Call_Me_Op wrote:
Thanks guys.

If you are comfortable talking (and handling a possible confrontation) with the dog owner go ahead and do so. It is likely better to talk with owner first but certainly not required (especially if you are uncomfortable doing so). If you do talk to the owner, I'd make conversation simple and short, (also be sure to research and understand exactly what if any laws are being broken) and say "look I really don't want to call authorities, but unless the barking at night stops, you give me no choice". If you are not comfortable talking to him about this issue, don;t beat yourself up about it, go ahead and talk with animal control and or law enforcement to see if there is anything they can do.
IF you are going to contact authorities because of several animal welfare concerns (that size cage, 24/7 is probably *not* okay, but that would be up to the experts), then don't speak with the owner about only the barking.
And I can't see how you contact him directly about the welfare issues, especially if he is also mis-handling the animals.

I, personally, don't see a choice here, not as you've described it.
(Any idea *why* he has these dogs? They can't protect, caged like that. They aren't giving much companionship. Are they rescue dogs who have never been socialized, and "can't" be brought inside? Even if so, not sure this would be the appropriate solution...)

Please have someone check on the welfare of these animals.

RM

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:44 am

Several years ago I lived in a rented townhouse/duplex in a cul-de-sac. A neighbor had a small Westie (West Highland White Terrier) who would be let out off the leash to roam as it pleased. Overnight, for 8+ hours straight, it would stand in the middle of the cul-de-sac and YAP-YAP-YAP at absolute nothingness. Then a 5-second pause, re-position to a new guard post 5 feet away, then YAP-YAP-YAP for another 10 minutes.

I let it go for over a year. I lost my mind.

I finally called the police non-emergency number during the daytime hours to explain the situation, and they dispatched Animal Control. There's also Animal Control police employees that work in late afternoons and early evenings, but in many departments they aren't 24/7.

In short: I don't regret one bit calling Animal Control. My only regret was waiting so long. For the several times I reported it, the owner/owner's girlfriend would magically bring the dog inside before Animal Control showed up. I finally timed it perfectly one evening and the dog was off leash and yapping in the act. For whatever reason, the threshold was reached, and the dog was seized. The very kind Animal Control officer said that the dog was a source of relationship tension between the boyfriend-girlfriend who rented that place.

The fallout may be different if you own your home and can't easily move away, but I would still not hesitate to go the Animal Control route. Sleep is so critical to health, sanity, safety, and a longer life.
Last edited by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:47 am

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:53 am
A neighbor keeps 2 dogs in a cage outside 24/7 all year round. The cage is ~ 150 - 200 feet from my house and is actually on the dog owner's wife's parent's lot. The owner's lot intersects the lot with the dog cages.

For many years, the dogs would bark (yelp) loudly all day but rarely if ever at night. I think away. She promised that she would talk to him when he returns. Nothing changed. ...
1) A county near DC recently passed an ordinance limiting the hours a dog may be left outside unattended, barking or not. Find out what your local rules are.

2) Consider getting a gem like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Contr ... B0792KZ69Y

3) Use white noise in your bedroom.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:08 am

Okay a BIG bet peeve of mine are neighbors who do not care about noise and how it affects their neighbors. Me, personally, I would call the local police and find out the laws on sound ordinances in your area. Find out the best approach to it from them. Going through option B seems the most reasonable as you mentioned.

I would not hesitate to make that call. Heck, I would have done it BEFORE even calling the neighbor first if you were worried about not letting them know your identity. Giving it 6 months makes you a better person then I.

I found out my ordinance is 8pm. Any loud music after 8:30 gets a call from me to the police. I have given up on folks being introspective and realizing the nuisance they cause others. Folks are oblivious to issues if it affects them negatively.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:19 am

In general, I find insensitive neighbors that would allow their dog to bark all night to ignore letters or face to face conversations. I actually had a letter returned to me with an hand drawn offensive picture. I'm done with writing letters.

Good luck OP, I really have no advice. The last two times I had rude neighbors, I moved and they moved. I never involved the authorities because I will rather deal with the dog barking than a neighbor from hell. Search YouTube for colorful ways your neighbor can make your life miserable.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 am

This is very frustrating. I've gotten to the point where I wanted to get even, but it's really not worth a neighbor war (vacuum car, mow lawn, blow leaves, loud music, for hours when they have friends over outside, etc.). So I just called the police every time they barked. Fortunately they moved. Enough neighbors complained, even several blocks away.
I would ask other neighbors to get together and all write a letter or talk to the guy as well. Take a video of it from your house and up close of the conditions. You might even talk to an attorney if it's disrupting your sleep every night.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:28 am

I have not read all the replies, but dogs kept outside 24/7 with minimal shelter is animal abuse. I would call animal control about this if for no other reason.

Keep in mind that if animal control confiscates the dogs, they may euthanize them, but that is probably better than the dogs' ongoing suffering. Hopefully they would also fine the owner and prohibit him from having other animals.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:35 am

I am going to court this afternoon for a barking dog complaint. It is the city against the dog's owner wih me as a witness. This because you cannot remain anonymous for a complaint. I finally am going this route.
I would expect very little when confronting the dog owners. Dog owners are some of the most oblivious, non caring, aggressive people in the world.
My complaint has been ongoing for several months. It is a process, and a legal process. No one cares about your anecdotes. You need to keep a dog barking log as I did. Pictures or videos also. You need evidence. All the onus is on you. You are the victim, but really you will be made to feel you are the aggressor.
Try barking dogs.net website. You will see the failure of municipal athletics to help you with your problem. You will realize that in today's society that dog owners have essentially taken their dogs and made them a "right", the rest of society be damned.
Process here was to lodge a complaint (not anonymously), summons will be issued although owners may avoid the summons by not answering door, etc. then a court date out 1-2 months, then they plead not guilty so trial date is set, another 1-2 months. So at best you have a lag time of 2-4 months. That not counting the weeks you have to start and record your dog bark log, which will soon feel like a full time job as you write everything down, day after day.
There is very little ethics, consideration for others by dog owners. You can easily see it by the plastic bags full of dog poop by the side of trails whereby people have picked up the poop, but then left it right there. Huh?
You should mount a full court press on this situation ASAP. Perhaps you could use the animal welfare law to your advantage. Maybe get rid of the dogs completely due to negligence or even animal cruelty charges. You need to try whatever migt work and maybe multiple things at a time.
I am not expecting much out of this court trial today. I am already planning how to deal with this ongoing from here. For instance, maybe these obnoxious dog owners will be found guilty. They may have a fine. Maybe $50 to pay. Well, they may feel this is the cost of having their dogs. So nothing changes for me. Dogs still bark. Here it begins again, dog bark log, summons, plead not guilty, trial date. All taking 2-4 months to process through. There goes another YEAR of my life listening to dogs bark.
Good luck.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:46 am

I am of no real help to you but after living in two houses next door to owners who ignored their barking dogs 24/7, I moved into a house on a three acre lot with lots of space between me and neighbors. Worth every extra penny. If I ever need to move again, it will be a mandatory requirement that there is a large distance between me and the neighbors.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:17 am

lthenderson wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:46 am
I am of no real help to you but after living in two houses next door to owners who ignored their barking dogs 24/7, I moved into a house on a three acre lot with lots of space between me and neighbors. Worth every extra penny. If I ever need to move again, it will be a mandatory requirement that there is a large distance between me and the neighbors.
Indeed. This is beginning to sound like a very tempting option. The close-quarters of my neighborhood means that it is only a matter of time that I will have other noise problems. (In fact, I have had to speak several times to another neighbor who has a lot of parties. He has been trying (things have improved) but there is still a lot of noise because he likes having many people over.) I despise the process of moving, but how wonderful it would be to be able to go to sleep when I want and rest peacefully.

flossy21

Post by flossy21 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 am

Here's an electronic option. Looks like a birdhouse. Basically ultrasonic response to the dog's bark.

https://www.petsafe.net/bark-control/deterrents

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:20 am

Whatever you decide, don't take the "concerned about the dog's health" route. That's a ticket to bigger outdoor pens.

They're a nuisance, plain and simple.

smudge

Post by smudge » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am

I recently added a dog whistle app on my phone for my neighborhood walks. It only works on some dogs. Its used as a training device.

Rant:
There seems to be an increasing entitlement attitude among dog owners.
Tv commercials and catalogues include dog after dog. My bank sign in page includes dog photos.
I avoid Home Depot on Saturdays to avoid untrained dogs .
I now have to notify the airlines of my pet allergy before a trip.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:57 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 am
Call_Me_Op wrote:
Thanks guys.

"Manhandling" the dogs?
This is getting worse...
If this is animal cruelty, you really need to do something.
Are you able to discreetly take a few photos (perhaps from inside your house) to document the "cage"? Or any mistreatment?
Hopefully you wouldn't need to use them.

RM
Agree this is animal abuse.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:53 am
2.) Contact local animal control
If your town/city has a strong barking dog ordinance, do this. It starts an official paper trail. Don't worry about your identity eventually being disclosed. For all the dog owner(s) know, you are crazier than they are.

If your town/city does not have a strong ordinance against barking dogs, moving may be your only option. My city has a ruthless anti-barking dog ordinance, thank goodness.

Confronting the dog owner(s) is usually a waste. My "neighbor" with a barking dog aggressively replied that I should do something to myself which is physically impossible. Animal control (part of the police department) took care of him, severely.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:17 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:35 am
I would expect very little when confronting the dog owners. Dog owners are some of the most oblivious, non caring, aggressive people in the world.
This seems a rather broad condemnation of a class of people. I sense an issue here.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Anyone who keeps dogs outside in a cage 24/7 is not going to be approachable about the consequences of their actions.

I would call the cops, animal control, city, etc.

Your neighbor will be a pain to you for the rest of the time that you are neighbors, but sleep is too important.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Around here, people get on a site called "Nextdoor" to passive aggressively complain about their neighbors. Speeding, not stopping at a stop sign, barking dogs, stolen packages, highly valuable stolen pets, how someone parks, poorly maintained lawns, etc. It never helps anything at all, ever. I spoke with my neighbor about an issue and she posted something on Nextdoor as a general rant that didn't mention me at all. I laughed so hard at that.

- Don't assume you can remain anonymous. People have a right to face their accuser.
- I recommend you talk to your neighbor unless you are concerned for your safety (it's not just reluctance/timidity). Don't assume it will help, but it's a decent thing to do. I would hope my angry neighbor would speak with me before calling the police. But if I'm being a jerk in the middle of the night then I don't think politeness applies, call the cops.
- If you cannot achieve a remedy yourself, law enforcement are for criminal infractions, and attorneys are for torts. Speak with the one you find most appropriate, or speak with both. Do not engage in vigilantism such as "releasing the hounds", that's one thing the legal system is designed to prevent. Give it a chance to work.

moneyman11

Post by moneyman11 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:59 pm

I feel for the OP. I was in the exact same situation with a dog barking/yelping at night disturbing sleep until I finally went over to the house for a talk with the owner.

Fortunately the owner was receptive to the request, and made a sincere and noticeable attempt to limit the nuisance ... and then a month later the owner, and his dog, moved away. So I got lucky.

Good luck, OP.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:01 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:50 pm
Around here, people get on a site called "Nextdoor" to passive aggressively complain about their neighbors. Speeding, not stopping at a stop sign, barking dogs, stolen packages, highly valuable stolen pets, how someone parks, poorly maintained lawns, etc. It never helps anything at all, ever. I spoke with my neighbor about an issue and she posted something on Nextdoor as a general rant that didn't mention me at all. I laughed so hard at that.

- Don't assume you can remain anonymous. People have a right to face their accuser.
- I recommend you talk to your neighbor unless you are concerned for your safety (it's not just reluctance/timidity). Don't assume it will help, but it's a decent thing to do. I would hope my angry neighbor would speak with me before calling the police. But if I'm being a jerk in the middle of the night then I don't think politeness applies, call the cops.
- If you cannot achieve a remedy yourself, law enforcement are for criminal infractions, and attorneys are for torts. Speak with the one you find most appropriate, or speak with both. Do not engage in vigilantism such as "releasing the hounds", that's one thing the legal system is designed to prevent. Give it a chance to work.
Not necessarily - if the issue is a clear violation of applicable laws, rules or regulations.

You have, apparently, made your concerns known to the neighbor - so make a complaint with the applicable jurisdiction.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:11 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
I am going to court this afternoon for a barking dog complaint. It is the city against the dog's owner wih me as a witness. This because you cannot remain anonymous for a complaint. I finally am going this route.
My complaint has been ongoing for several months. It is a process, and a legal process. No one cares about your anecdotes. You need to keep a dog barking log as I did. Pictures or videos also. You need evidence. All the onus is on you. You are the victim, but really you will be made to feel you are the aggressor.
Try barking dogs.net website. You will see the failure of municipal athletics to help you with your problem. You will realize that in today's society that dog owners have essentially taken their dogs and made them a "right", the rest of society be damned.
Process here was to lodge a complaint (not anonymously), summons will be issued although owners may avoid the summons by not answering door, etc. then a court date out 1-2 months, then they plead not guilty so trial date is set, another 1-2 months. So at best you have a lag time of 2-4 months. That not counting the weeks you have to start and record your dog bark log, which will soon feel like a full time job as you write everything down, day after day.
There is very little ethics, consideration for others by dog owners. You can easily see it by the plastic bags full of dog poop by the side of trails whereby people have picked up the poop, but then left it right there. Huh?
You should mount a full court press on this situation ASAP. Perhaps you could use the animal welfare law to your advantage. Maybe get rid of the dogs completely due to negligence or even animal cruelty charges. You need to try whatever migt work and maybe multiple things at a time.
I am not expecting much out of this court trial today. I am already planning how to deal with this ongoing from here. For instance, maybe these obnoxious dog owners will be found guilty. They may have a fine. Maybe $50 to pay. Well, they may feel this is the cost of having their dogs. So nothing changes for me. Dogs still bark. Here it begins again, dog bark log, summons, plead not guilty, trial date. All taking 2-4 months to process through. There goes another YEAR of my life listening to dogs bark.
Good luck.
I had a problem with a neighbor not for noise, but chasing me when running or bike riding. I asked the person to tie up the dog they told me to pepper spray the dog! I refused to do that, after getting statements from neighbors I reported it to the police. The officer was reluctant to do anything until I said I would meet with the select board and bring up the situation as well as the officers refusal to do anything about it. After that the officer told the owners to take the dog and get rid of it or be fined and or sued by the town. The dog was removed by the owners from the property the following day. The owners never spoke to me again, although the husband did and said he was glad I reported the dog. We ended up moving two years later. I love animals, but some dog owners like to let their pets do whatever and could care less what you think. I wish you well in your quest to resolve the situation.

kaudrey

Post by kaudrey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:46 pm

These dogs are being abused - please call animal control YESTERDAY!!!!!!!

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Good luck.
how do you feel about cats and cat owners :D

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Just to let the OP know that sometimes taking action in these situations works —

We recently had a problem with a new neighbor who was occasionally blasting really loud music. As in, we were in our house with all the windows and door closed and watching TV, and could still hear it.

He would turn it down when asked, but we could still hear it.

So we filed an online complaint with the county. When I spoke to the county noise control officer, she said that most people ceased causing a problem when they received a letter (from the county) that warned of a fine if there was another complaint. But she also said that a minority of those who get a warning continue with the problem behavior even once they are fined.

Fortunately, our neighbor was in the majority and we’ve had no more problems. While our complaint was technically anonymous, we assumed he guessed who had filed it since we were the people who complained “over the fence.”

I will say that we had never actually met anyone in the household — they live a couple houses away — which made it easier to complain to the county. We had no relationship to preserve and don’t share a property line.

Muri

Post by Muri » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:52 pm

As I dog owner I am sorry to hear about this situation. My guess is that these are hunting dogs. For unknown reasons some hunters think it is ok to leave their hunting trained dogs outside all year round. The dogs are barking because dogs are social animals and need to be trained to live indoors with their owners. Obviously the dog owner can also hear the dogs barking and doesn't care. I think calling animal control is your only option.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:07 pm

After my neighbor and myself complained and the next door dogs continued to bark another day when the owners were in the yard and did nothing to quiet them I put both car alarms on for 10 min.s and showed him I could stop them just as he could stop the dogs .GOT THROUGH :oops:

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Im so glad I now live on 10 acres...right smack dab in the middle, wooded area.

We did the whole close quarter living for 12 years. It was apartment living though.

Bottom line, dont bother talking to the neighbor. You need to get this documented with the city, animal control, noise ordinance, etc etc. I would have already set up a camera pointed at their dogs, with audio capabilities. That would record 24/7.

Its not a crime to leave dogs penned up outside 24/7 year round...assuming they have shelter with proper warmth. Yeah its gross, I dont understand why people insist on getting a dog to keep it in a cage its entire life. The laws are lax on how people can treat animals. Even real animal abuse only gets you a smack on the wrist.

retired recently

Post by retired recently » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:16 pm

I am not sure why but many dog owners do not seem to hear their dogs or have heard them so often they somehow tune them out. I like dogs but the sound of one barking is very irritating. It is a common problem where I live that seems to get worse each year.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Some people keep dogs caged outside all year because they're not really pets, they're hunting dogs.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:08 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:21 pm
Some people keep dogs caged outside all year because they're not really pets, they're hunting dogs.
Or various other arguably less valid situations where they aren't pets, but that in common: dogs kept outside 24/7/365 as OP seems to say, are not pets.

But mentioning hunting dogs highlights the regional/cultural aspect which is obscured in the discussion. That will be a factor in whether it's even legal to keep dogs like that. And if it's not, the OP does not have to be 'the accuser', animal control will be the complainants themselves once tipped off. Where I live dogs kept in cages outside might well be fighting dogs, almost surely not hunting dogs. Near where I live I mean, a town the source of most rescue dogs where I do live. Where I live lots of people would be diming that situation and city authorities all over it. In other places it's more like normal behavior by local standards to keep dogs outside all the time, staying away from broad value judgments and sticking to practicality.

I think OP would want to get an idea from the authorities what they can do about the general set up before just focusing on the barking aspect. But one way or another sounds like it has to be addressed. Besides no outside dogs, walls are thick here: though our house is attached to the ones either side you can barely hear noisy dogs next door. A bit more in the urban 'donut hole' of the block out back, but it's always been tolerable, fortunately. Our late (great) dog was quiet as a mouse. Ominously quiet some people would think on first seeing her, an ex-breeding dog for fighters, but no sweeter dog.

skime

Post by skime » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Call the SPCA immediately. That's absolutely animal cruelty. You can't leave a dog in a cage 24/7. That's why it's barking. It's under severe stress.

Don't wait. The dog's life depends on it.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Electronic devices work for awhile, but then stop being effective if the neighbor doesn't correct their own behavior. The dogs are miserable, which is why they bark. Dogs need to be exercised, interacted with, and shown affection. My wife and I are dog lovers, but have no pets because we are considerate of our neighbors, who live in close proximity on three sides.

If only our neighbors who live next to us had an ounce of that consideration. They feel as much compassion for us as they do for their dogs, which would be a -1 on a scale from 1 to 10. I would not waste another second wondering about how your neighbor is going to react. It is a matter of law, and the neighbor needs to be held legally responsible for breaking the law.

In our town, residents are fined after one warning concerning a barking dog. The next offense is punished by a fine of $50, which is doubled for every repeated offense. Like magic, my neighbor's dogs are corralled and brought inside at the first bark. If not, the city is called by me or one of the other neighbors and the animal control officer arrives with yet another ticket. I couldn't care less what my neighbor thinks of me, as he is in the wrong.

I would suggest canvasing the neighborhood to determine if the other non-offending neighbors have the same complaints, and to include them in an organized effort to get the problem resolved.

A new neighbor moved into their newly purchased home on the other side of this neighbor and immediately complained about the barking, going through all the same steps we had with placing expensive electronic devices that worked temporarily. The offending neighbor had responded to our complaints by chaining the dogs on the opposite side of their yard from us, and next to the new neighbor, rather than addressing their own culpability. The new neighbor asked us over to see the work they had done on the house and showed us their new anti-barking device in the shape of a birdhouse that they hung facing the fence facing the barking dogs. They swore this would control the problem, which it did, for about a week. They also shared that they had caught this same neighbor trying to steal yard decorations from their newly reconfigured yard and confronted them. I think I see a pattern here.

The OP needs to get over the idea that any of this is their fault, or that "turning them in" reflects negatively on him/her. The dogs are miserable and lonely and need to be removed from the neighbor. The OP is doing the dogs a favor by precipitating that action.

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:48 pm

Address the animal cruelty that is happening by
Calling the authorities - police and animal welfare.

They should not divulge your name.

The dogs’ problem and yours will both be solved

London

Post by London » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:28 pm

Just man up (or woman up) and go talk to the neighbor. If that doesn't work, pursue some of the other options mentioned in the thread. But give the person a chance to discuss it.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:41 pm

snackdog wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:17 pm
Shallowpockets wrote:
This seems a rather broad condemnation of a class of people. I sense an issue here.
Well said!
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:11 am

I've had a couple of neighbors with barking dogs. I've found this pretty effective.

Take a large plastic container, maybe a liquor or juice container. Put about a dozen pennies in it. When dogs are barking go outside and loudly shake it. This will probably agitate the dogs further. Keep doing it, then eventually go and bang the plastic jar really hard on something like a wood fence. Repeat if you have to. That will likely scare and quiet them. If you ever hear them again all you have to do is go outside and shake the container and then they'll shut up.

All that said that won't work in this situation because the dogs are stressed and being abused. Call the authorities. Don't think twice about it.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:26 am

I'm surprised that I did not see any posts regarding attacking this problem on your end, i.e. working to soundproof your house better.

I have lived in Florida where homes are of concrete block construction due to hurricanes, and I have lived in the extreme north part of the country where houses are not built to those standards. Sound leaks into those homes as easily as a cold draft.

We've got a relatively new item in our hurricane arsenal in Florida -- impact windows. Not only will they stand up to hurricanes, they boast a 20 dB reduction in noise.

Therefore --> new windows.
Also consider the leakage around the window frame and through the soffits.

If you have the means, there are things you can do on your end without the need to sell your home or move.

There are plenty of websites that deal with soundproofing. I imagine you can get some decent results without spending a fortune. Greater mass is always a good sound blocker (putting up heavier, thicker drywall or even putting another piece of drywall on top of the existing. Decoupling the drywall from the house frame and using a kind of gel is way more advanced, as is decoupling various other sound channels. I think better windows and eliminating air gaps is major, but even just putting a bookcase between your bed and your window could really help.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:11 am

As a dog owner: if my dogs were causing a neighbor discomfort I would hope that they would let me know so that I can rectify the problem.

My dogs do not stay outside for any extended length of time, they are only off lead unattended when in my enclosed backyard and if they bark I immediately bring them back in (usually the bark was to alert me they are at the backdoor and ready to come in).

My wife has a terrible habit of fussing at the dogs out the backdoor when they won't come in for her, she does this in the evening and early morning hours, I am working on training her to be quite for the sake of our neighbors. She is noisier than the dogs...

All of that being said, after a polite conversation about the issue the next step is to contact Animal Control or the Sheriff's Office as applicable. As another poster pointed out, if you need to know your ordinances and they refuse to enforce them you should make a complaint to your Council/Police Jury/ local municipal representative informing them that the agency, and specifically that agent, has refused to enforce an ordinance enacted by their legislative body.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.