Is it sensible to buy a car from Elon Musk?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
westie

Is it sensible to buy a car from Elon Musk?

Post by westie »

Does his behavior give you reason to pause when considering purchasing a Tesla?
ClevrChico

Re: Is it sensible to buy a car from Elon Musk?

Post by ClevrChico »

Is his behavior intentional to lower the stock price? Or, is he just beyond burnt out and needs to delegate more?

If you bought a Tesla and the company closed (not likely), it would just hasten depreciation. (The same thing happened to Pontiac owners.)

Either way, it's just a car that's going to depreciate. It wouldn't change my decision at this point. I've had an older car with some parts reach "no longer available" status, and the aftermarket and owner community steps in for solutions.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

It's not sensible for me to purchase one of his cars. The break-even doesn't come close. As far as Mr. Musk, I've never been into hero worship.
Last edited by Tycoon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

westie wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:09 am Does his behavior give you reason to pause when considering purchasing a Tesla?
no. hes not literally down there with a wrench.
the board of VW clearly is worse...etc.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I wouldn't, but not because of Musk.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

ClevrChico wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:23 am Is his behavior intentional to lower the stock price? Or, is he just beyond burnt out and needs to delegate more?

If you bought a Tesla and the company closed (not likely), it would just hasten depreciation. (The same thing happened to Pontiac owners.)

Either way, it's just a car that's going to depreciate. It wouldn't change my decision at this point. I've had an older car with some parts reach "no longer available" status, and the aftermarket and owner community steps in for solutions.
I would submit that it would be far worse than Pontiac going away. If you bring your Pontiac into a Chevy dealer, they'll put in the Chevy part that's the same thing anyways. With Tesla, the company has purposely limited the source to Tesla and Tesla only. If your Tesla shows up on their "not supported" list. You lose over the air support, charging can be limited at Tesla chargers and they won't sell you parts. Since most Tesla parts are Tesla only, you have little choice. Go into an auto zone and order a Pontiac V6 engine and you get it in a couple days. Go anywhere and order a Tesla motor (drive) and twiddle your thumbs unless you're looking at dismantlers who pull them out of crashed cars.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

It's a personal decision. The hardware will deprecate but probably run fine.

If the company goes bankrupt, the assets will probably get stripped and the new owners will (hopefully) want to cultivate the current customers.

Personally, I bought a Model S four years ago. Just got Tesla Solar panels and battery backup.

If venture cap people strip mine the company my car will run fine, just no longer get updates to the OS or map (but both should work fine for several years without updates).

My solar would work fine if Tesla stopped existing. Just the iPhone and Android app would not update and may eventually no longer work once the phone OS requires a newer version of the app (that seems to take 3-5 years on iOS). Even without any app, I can see what goes back to the grid on my electric company's website. I just won't be able to see what percentage my backup battery is currently at.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:37 am
ClevrChico wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:23 am Is his behavior intentional to lower the stock price? Or, is he just beyond burnt out and needs to delegate more?

I would submit that it would be far worse than Pontiac going away. If you bring your Pontiac into a Chevy dealer, they'll put in the Chevy part that's the same thing anyways. With Tesla, the company has purposely limited the source to Tesla and Tesla only. If your Tesla shows up on their "not supported" list. You lose over the air support, charging can be limited at Tesla chargers and they won't sell you parts. Since most Tesla parts are Tesla only, you have little choice. Go into an auto zone and order a Pontiac V6 engine and you get it in a couple days. Go anywhere and order a Tesla motor (drive) and twiddle your thumbs unless you're looking at dismantlers who pull them out of crashed cars.
There's an entire "hacker" community out there. There's also a community of shared chargers too. You'd be surprised what enthusiasts and niche companies can come up with. I don't see Tesla going anywhere, though. Not enough to stop me from buying one.
DonDraper

Post by DonDraper »

I just listened to Elon Musk’s podcast interview with Joe Rogan which generated the pot smoking controversy. The interview is over two hours long and if anything it made me more likely to buy a car from Elon Musk. What an impressive and interesting guy.
Deltaflaze

Post by Deltaflaze »

I did buy one four years ago. And I would buy another one in a heart beat, even more so now after watching Elon’s success. It’s been a daily driver and have done road trips all the way to Canada with it. Most Tesla owners say the same thing. I like cars and my monthly cost to buy one was “sensible” considering I normally would have bought an Acura or a Lexus and I keep my cars for 7+ years. I’ve had no fuel cost (apartment pays my electricity costs for free for the vehicle) and no maintenance costs.

Is his “ behavior” affecting you or do you just have the perception that what he’s doing isn’t very “CEO”-like? Perhaps that’s why he’s the only new automobile company that’s so successful and is focusing on the long run rather than the daily noise.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Not even a little. There's a big difference between buying a car, and investing in a company.

I have a Model 3, and love it. The tech in these cars is pretty amazing, even with the occasional "bug" (e.g., voice navigation stopped working, which was fixed in less than a minute with a soft reboot).

The delivery and logistical concerns with parts repair are certainly an issue.....but they go over the top with customer service and providing loaner cars. They bend over backwards to take care of their owners.

But the company isn't all rainbows and sunshine, and having a valuation that rivals GM and Ford is.......questionable.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

DonDraper wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:45 am I just listened to Elon Musk’s podcast interview with Joe Rogan which generated the pot smoking controversy. The interview is over two hours long and if anything it made me more likely to buy a car from Elon Musk. What an impressive and interesting guy.
He can be impressive and interesting and also a guy that you don't want to buy a car from. I could care less if my CEO smokes pot. Doing it publicly is pretty stupid in most industries (i.e. pretty much everyone except those that sell pot. Maybe some entertainment ones).

Tesla is pretty close (not sure on what side of it they are on) where they are past the need for an Elon Musk type leader who comes up with a crazy plan and they need more of a person that is good at executing the plan they are on. Tesla doesn't need some revolutionary cars. They need to produce the cars (and obvious variants like a compact CUV. Or a pick up if your getting crazy) they have profitably and in quantity while building out their infrastructure. Think apple post Steve Jobs where the innovation is low but the execution is still top notch.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

Deltaflaze wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:49 am I’ve had no fuel cost (apartment pays my electricity costs for free for the vehicle)
thats amazing.
i would be pissed however if i lived in the apt and was subsidizing your bill though lol....unless i got a ride/
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

ClevrChico wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:40 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:37 am

There's an entire "hacker" community out there. There's also a community of shared chargers too. You'd be surprised what enthusiasts and niche companies can come up with. I don't see Tesla going anywhere, though. Not enough to stop me from buying one.
I know there's a DIY community out there. I'm a big fan of Rich Rebuilds on youtube. I do my own work on my cars and would not be scared to pull a drive unit to replace the undersized rotor bearings when they fail. But there are plenty of BHs who don't even do their own brake work. Where will they have their 3 drive unit repaired or replaced?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

randomguy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:18 am
DonDraper wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:45 am I just listened to Elon Musk’s podcast interview with Joe Rogan which generated the pot smoking controversy. The interview is over two hours long and if anything it made me more likely to buy a car from Elon Musk. What an impressive and interesting guy.
He can be impressive and interesting and also a guy that you don't want to buy a car from. I could care less if my CEO smokes pot. Doing it publicly is pretty stupid in most industries (i.e. pretty much everyone except those that sell pot. Maybe some entertainment ones).

Tesla is pretty close (not sure on what side of it they are on) where they are past the need for an Elon Musk type leader who comes up with a crazy plan and they need more of a person that is good at executing the plan they are on. Tesla doesn't need some revolutionary cars. They need to produce the cars (and obvious variants like a compact CUV. Or a pick up if your getting crazy) they have profitably and in quantity while building out their infrastructure. Think apple post Steve Jobs where the innovation is low but the execution is still top notch.
I kind of agree with that, but I still think there’s plenty of innovation that needs to happen, and to keep people excited about buying Tesla cars.

But Musk needs to find his Cook and Ives to help him with the execution part so he can focus on the innovation.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Tesla the company most likely has adequate critical mass and momentum at this point to survive most issues involving the founder and/or CEO in the near future. Tesla is certainly subject to being taken over, acquired, or restructured like any other public company, but it is likely Tesla as a car manufacturer will survive for at least the next 10 years. I personally would not buy a Tesla in the foreseeable future under any circumstances mostly because I think the autonomous technology and lithium battery only electric cars are still relatively primitive at this point. I would definitely not want to be in any kind of significant accident in any car that is loaded full of lithium batteries.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:38 am Where will they have their 3 drive unit repaired or replaced?
Now that's funny.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

I would not buy because of their anti-DIY sentiment. I have been doing most of the repairs and maintenance on my cars for more than three decades and don't intend to stop. Yes I am aware of the hacker community and watch RichRebuilds from time to time but I refuse to support a company so anti-DIY on principle. I am also a cheap guy when it comes to cards and Teslas at least in the condition I would consider buying one aren't cheap enough for me to buy (I only buy used cars for myself).
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Definitely worth a listen. Elon is not cut from the same cloth as the rest of us.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I'm starting to feel bad for the guy. That is a very negative signal about Tesla as a company.

JT
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

No. Absolutely not. I've never met the guy, but I just have this odd feeling that his car would come with weird stains or have a funny odor I couldn't get rid of. I mean, his name is "Musk." He's literally warning you of the smell. Oh, you meant would I buy a car from Tesla, the company, not from Elon Musk personally? I don't know, maybe. :D
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

You can't compare to Pontiac, where the parent (well, GM in some form, sort of) continued to operate. Pontiacs shared many components with other GM cars, so parts availability was less of an issue.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I wouldn't buy a Tesla, but not because of Musk. The CEOs personality doesn't come into play in most (any) of my purchasing decisions. I've heard several horror stories on getting parts/repairs. They are also more than I like to spend on a car and they only have 3 models, none of which particularly appeals to me. Aside from Musk, I wonder if Tesla will make it in its current form. They keep burning through cash and all the major auto companies are improving rapidly with their electric cars. Musk's shenanigans don't bode well when you need to keep going to creditors for cash. He essentially saved SolarCity by merging it into Tesla. He doesn't have another company to merge Tesla into that makes sense (SpaceX?).
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:44 am

You can't compare to Pontiac, where the parent (well, GM in some form, sort of) continued to operate. Pontiacs shared many components with other GM cars, so parts availability was less of an issue.
Depreciation on Pontiac cars accelerated after they closed. If Tesla were to close, their cars would depreciate heavily. This is a certain outcome if it were to happen. (Not likely.)

Does OP really care about depreciation buying a Tesla? I doubt it. The whole parts issue is another story.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

We want to add an electric vehicle for our use in the near future - Tesla is now low on the list.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

His latest interview, if anything, makes me respect/appreciate him more.
financeperchance

Post by financeperchance »

westie wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:09 am Does his behavior give you reason to pause when considering purchasing a Tesla?
He's insane, but it's a darn good car. What can I say? *shrug*

P.S. Now I know why the air filtering is so good in the car. It has the best odor removal of any car I've ever been in.
financeperchance

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:47 am I wouldn't buy a Tesla, but not because of Musk. The CEOs personality doesn't come into play in most (any) of my purchasing decisions. I've heard several horror stories on getting parts/repairs. They are also more than I like to spend on a car and they only have 3 models, none of which particularly appeals to me. Aside from Musk, I wonder if Tesla will make it in its current form. They keep burning through cash and all the major auto companies are improving rapidly with their electric cars. Musk's shenanigans don't bode well when you need to keep going to creditors for cash. He essentially saved SolarCity by merging it into Tesla. He doesn't have another company to merge Tesla into that makes sense (SpaceX?).
A lot of those horror stories are cherry picking by short sellers. The bottom 1% of Teslas sold are guaranteed to be lousy, which means at this point there are 70 lousy Teslas being built every week.

My counter-anecdote is I own two of them with a combined 50,000 miles, and I've never had to do anything except replace the tires, but you'd have to do that anyway on any car.

As for the company burning cash, there could very well be a prepackaged Chapter 11 in their future, but if you look at GM, it filed about 10 years ago and it's not like that made any difference. (Even though shareholders got wiped out, the business itself didn't miss a beat.)
Last edited by financeperchance on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
financeperchance

smitcat wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:25 pm We want to add an electric vehicle for our use in the near future - Tesla is now low on the list.
I have two neighbors who own a Chevy Bolt and a Toyota Prius Prime, and both absolutely adore their vehicles. If you're looking for a non-Tesla, those seem like really good options to test drive.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

What is the rational argument for subsidiary brand models like Pontiac cars depreciating faster than its mechanically identical counterparts in the GM lineup (i.e. Torrent/Equinox or G5/Cobalt)? Won't a Chevy or GM dealership honor any recall or leftover warranty work? Won't servicing be virtually identical from a price/knowledge standpoint?

I can see the argument for independent niche brands plummeting in value once their presence evaporates (Saab, Peugeot, Renault) but never got the whole thing when it happened to subsidiary of larger automakers that rebadged their models (Buick, Saturn, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, and Scion).
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

stimulacra wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:34 pm

What is the rational argument for subsidiary brand models like Pontiac cars depreciating faster than its mechanically identical counterparts in the GM lineup (i.e. Torrent/Equinox or G5/Cobalt)? Won't a Chevy or GM dealership honor any recall or leftover warranty work? Won't servicing be virtually identical from a price/knowledge standpoint?

I can see the argument for independent niche brands plummeting in value once their presence evaporates (Saab, Peugeot, Renault) but never got the whole thing when it happened to subsidiary of larger automakers that rebadged their models (Buick, Saturn, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, and Scion).
When a family member traded their Pontiac, multiple dealers commented about demand being lower and the value decline since it's a dead brand. It's probably irrational since it was all brand engineering by GM for years and nothing was really unique. I know boomers I interacted with were always concerned about car age and part availability with old cars. (Although seemingly irrational to me.)
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

I would still consider a Tesla Model S if I was in a position to afford one.

The Model 3, I suspect will not age well; it's a really nice utilitarian electric compact sedan at $35k but most being shipped are in the $50k range, and feel like they sacrificed some features to keep some distance from the Model S (lack of a hatchback), once the novelty/brand cachet wears off… you're left with an electric appliance that doesn't have as much utility as a 2nd gen Prius and about as much eco-cred.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Probably not sensible. But if you can afford it who cares?
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
casun

Post by casun »

his spat with the diver is a real head scratcher. everything else is noise. to answer your question - yes. in fact, i recently bought a model 3 and it is by far the best vehicle i’ve ever owned (out of nine).
squirm

Post by squirm »

I would definitely consider a M3 or some other Tesla. I don't think his behavior has been that strange (I've seen way worse). The guy has made huge accomplishments and I hope those accomplishments continue to flourish. I listened to the pot-cast and found it very interesting. I never understood why anyone would be against the company and it's mission, why wound't you want sustainable energy for travel.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

He is kind of wacky. Maybe someone who isn’t wacky wouldn’t have undertaken starting an EV company, building a supercharger network, starting a Space company, landing reusable rockets on a barge, etc etc etc.

I love my Model X. I have a deposit down on 4 Tesla Powerwalls.

Musk smoking pot on camera: really dumb. GM allowing some 100s of customers to die to save a buck on an ignition switch and then hiding behind bankruptcy to avoid liability: reprehensible. I voted with my car purchase dollars.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
carguyny

Post by carguyny »

Not such much an EM issue, but parts availability is already terrible. If the company goes into more financial stress, I doubt it will get better. If it goes under, someone will need to make molds for things like bumpers, or figure out how to buy the molds from a s. 363 sale which will take a long-time. I have some exotic cars and it's frustrating when you wait weeks/months for simple parts when they're just toys, let alone something you drive everyday.
PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

Sure, Musk’s behavior provides a reason to pause, as does the uncertain future of his car company.

However, to me these reasons don’t have much force. Buying a car is just another purchase — it would be a bummer, but not disastrous, if Tesla fails as a company.

In the meantime, my wife is really enjoying her Model 3, which makes me happy.

Andy.
Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 »

No way, he's the next John Delorean. People that have bought his cars will soon regret it. Absolute train wreck. Wait until the parts dry up, etc.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I watched it also. He is a normal guy and I enjoyed his conversation with Joe Rogan. It's hilarious how people over react about his one puff off of Joe's joint. Takes me back to my college days.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

No, I doubt the company will be around long. Saw a model 3 this weekend on the interstate. Ugliest car I've seen in a long time.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:12 pm He is kind of wacky. Maybe someone who isn’t wacky wouldn’t have undertaken starting an EV company, building a supercharger network, starting a Space company, landing reusable rockets on a barge, etc etc etc.

Musk smoking pot on camera: really dumb. GM allowing some 100s of customers to die to save a buck on an ignition switch and then hiding behind bankruptcy to avoid liability: reprehensible. I voted with my car purchase dollars.
To me Musk’s personal attacks on the person who questioned the feasibility of his rescue sub is truly reprehensible.

These seems to be no basis behind Musk’s accusations of absolutely horrific crimes by one of the rescuers.

That behavior by Musk tells me, that like GM or any other criminal, that Musk will absolutely say anything irrespective of truth or damage it does other people to further his personal goals and standing. Obviously if the person saying Musk’s sub won’t work is as reprehensible as Musk alledges, it follows in people’s minds that the sub criticism isn’t credible.

Would I buy something from someone who seems to be an outright, calculated and deliberate liar?

Not in the market now, but will look at other companies first before making a purchase.
Last edited by typical.investor on Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
casun

Post by casun »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:52 pm No, I doubt the company will be around long. Saw a model 3 this weekend on the interstate. Ugliest car I've seen in a long time.
last month the model 3 was the 5th best selling passenger car in the u.s. i think tesla will be around for quite a while.
financeperchance

Nate79 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:52 pm No, I doubt the company will be around long. Saw a model 3 this weekend on the interstate. Ugliest car I've seen in a long time.
Careful, now. A lot of people have spent a lot of money on these cars, and you're hitting below the belt. Your post doesn't actually add anything to this thread and seems designed only to inflame.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

financeperchance wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:05 pm
Careful, now. A lot of people have spent a lot of money on these cars, and you're hitting below the belt. Your post doesn't actually add anything to this thread and seems designed only to inflame.
Which part didn't you understand? I didn't write it to make the fanboys happy, I gave my opinion very similar to many others in this thread who doubt the future of the company. I personally find the car ugly and would not buy it.
financeperchance

Well anyway, westie's question has been thoroughly answered at this point. If I were a mod, I'd lock the thread now.
skatterZ

Post by skatterZ »

Missing among his accomplishments is a profitable year. I know he had one good quarter. I worked in corporate finance and quarterly profits are adjustable.
I wanted to buy a model S. Loved the car. Decided to buy AMG Mercedes. If I need a new from suspension in ten years, Mercedes has been around for over 100 years.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Which behavior are we giving priority to?
Working long hours and sleeping on the factory floor?
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon- ... 2018-04-11
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/tesl ... ?r=US&IR=T
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

financeperchance wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:05 pm
The more a car deviates from accepted styling, the more some people will find it ugly and the more will find it charming. Nobody gets excited either way when they see a Camry. See a Prius, Juke, M3, Soul, and so on and people will have reactions. With some thing like the m3, people come in with a lot of preconcieved expectations both way.

Personally I can't believe anyone thinks a M3 looks worse than the crap that Lexus is putting out these days. But I also realize there is a small subset of the population that find that design language attractive.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:12 pm He is kind of wacky. Maybe someone who isn’t wacky wouldn’t have undertaken starting an EV company, building a supercharger network, starting a Space company, landing reusable rockets on a barge, etc etc etc.

This. A thousand times THIS!!!

Musk isn't your run of the mill CEO. He wouldn't be doing such amazing things if he was JUST a CEO. He's a modern day pioneer. A Vanderbilt, a Rockefeller, a Edison of our times. It's not just about Tesla. In fact Tesla is merely a way to finance his real project, Space X. Even Space X in its current form is a preliminary step to his one goal (since his teens) ... making sure that the future of mankind isn't just tied to (our beautiful but vulnerable planet) Earth. Think about that for a minute and let it sink. Now show me another CEO who has the ability, the drive, the smarts and the guts to match Elon. Show me one CEO who is bold enough to go where Elon dreams to go.

If anything I'd buy a Tesla only because Elon is / was involved in its creation.

PS: I would rather walk than drive an unethical product from GM, Chrysler or Volkswagen.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.