"distilled" water for wife's CPAP machine

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

Re: "distilled" water for wife's CPAP machine

Post by dm200 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:31 pm

El Greco wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:33 pm
dm200 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:31 pm
My wife uses a CPAP machine at night and the one she uses has a container for water. She buys "distilled" water.
Before I suggest this to her - I wonder if the condensed water from a dehumidifier might be satisfactory as a "free" alternative?
OP, thanks for this post. I'm going to show it to my wife because she thinks I'm cheap. :D
You are very welcome ;)

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:04 pm
My wife has a CPAP that she's used for many years. I just showed her this thread, and she said her CPAP has a water reservoir but that she doesn't fill it, and has never used it.

?? Is this OK ??
I used to use water in my machine everyday until a coworker told me he didn't use his. I then called the CPAP company and asked if it was necessary to use water and they said no...it's purely for comfort and is more likely to be used during the dry winter season. I haven't used my water chamber for a few months now and everything has been fine.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:40 pm

yolli71 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:37 pm
My wife has a CPAP that she's used for many years. I just showed her this thread, and she said her CPAP has a water reservoir but that she doesn't fill it, and has never used it.
?? Is this OK ??
I used to use water in my machine everyday until a coworker told me he didn't use his. I then called the CPAP company and asked if it was necessary to use water and they said no...it's purely for comfort and is more likely to be used during the dry winter season. I haven't used my water chamber for a few months now and everything has been fine.
My wife insists that she is so much better with the water.

BL

Post by BL » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Hopefully your insurance company covers replacement pads and other accessories at regular intervals. I think it is important to help prevent mold growing as well as the face pad seems to deteriorate after a few weeks.

I also purchase cloth mask liners to wear next to my face. Not covered by insurance, but I use them a few days rather than changing each day, and that works for me. No longer deal with sticking to my face and then waking me up when it lets go.

badProgrammer

Post by badProgrammer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:52 pm
SouthernCPA wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:49 pm
delamer wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:17 pm
I am honestly dumbfounded that someone would ask this about something that costs a few pennies a day.
You and me, both. I don't even know how the cost of distilled water for a CPAP machine would even hit the radar for a cost savings mechansim and enough so to post on a financial/investing forum.
Take care of the pence and the pounds will take care of themselves. :beer
This reminds me of the guy I know who, trying to "take care of the pence," asked his wife to come up with a "free" or "lower cost" alternative to abate the monthly cost of purchasing feminine hygiene products.

As for the "pounds," that same guy was recently telling me how the divorce set him back financially, estimating the loss of 15 years of savings.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 pm
nisiprius wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 pm
Pajamas wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:52 pm
Take care of the pence and the pounds will take care of themselves.
Ah, but that's only one member of the pair of contradictory proverbs. The other is "penny wise and pound foolish."
I agree that the solution he proposed is not a wise one--you can see above that I responded that way immediately.

However, I'm not sure why people are giving him flack about thinking about a less expensive solution than buying distilled water even if it is only, say, $12 a year. After all, water is often free or nearly so. He asked a legitimate question and got answers. Apparently some people think that the question isn't legitimate.

I don't like spending money if it's not necessary or beneficial to do so, either, and think about even small expenditures. So I'll say it again for extra emphasis:
Take care of the pence and the pounds will take care of themselves.
Health related with a substitute that isn’t remotely close. Lungs are VERY important.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:48 pm
Health related with a substitute that isn’t remotely close. Lungs are VERY important.
Yeah, I understand that. Please see the second post in this thread.

The ideas expressed in the two aphorisms are not contradictory, they are complementary.

As I stated before, I don't understand some of the vehement reactions to some of the statements in this thread, including mine. :confused

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:10 am

I use tap water. The water tray gets mineral deposits on it and I rinse it regularly then replace it about once a year for maybe 20 bucks. Anyone know if there is a health/lung reason to use distilled water instead of tap water? I was under the impression that the purpose of distilled water was to not have mineral deposits on the water tray in the machine but I have never thought about the lung health side of the question.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:55 am

toofache32 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:10 am
I use tap water. The water tray gets mineral deposits on it and I rinse it regularly then replace it about once a year for maybe 20 bucks. Anyone know if there is a health/lung reason to use distilled water instead of tap water? I was under the impression that the purpose of distilled water was to not have mineral deposits on the water tray in the machine but I have never thought about the lung health side of the question.
I use tap water when I’m traveling. I use distilled when at home. So far, no adverse effects
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

NYnative

Post by NYnative » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:16 am

I'm assuming that nearly all of us who have CPAP machines obtained them on the advice of a Dr. and was issued a prescription to purchase one. Also that we went through a sleep study to determine whether one was necessary. Both my Dr. and the instructions that came with the CPAP (if you have one with a water chamber) specifically stated that distilled water was to be used. There may be a few areas of the US where tap water is pure enough to use in a CPAP, but how would we know? I've seen many articles on tap water quality and it's clear to me that there are enough contaminants in even the cleanest to make use of it in a CPAP extremely dangerous over time. In an emergency, I will use purified bottled water, but for as short a time as possible. If I can't get that, I simply don't use any water and turn off the heater under the water chamber. It may dry out my throat overnight, but it's better than inhaling pollutants.

It's not build mineral build up in the water chamber I'm concerned about - it's the fact that that material is also being inhaled into my lungs. Living in Phoenix, I can objectively state that it has one of the worst water supplies south of Flint, Michigan. Most people won't even drink it, let alone use it in a CPAP. And, as I said in an earlier post, the idea of using something that can harm your health to save $12 a year is just plain dumb.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:15 pm

I drink, bathe, cook, brush my teeth and swim in water from the faucet. Interesting some folks in this 1st world country have 3rd world water. I think I answered my own question.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:15 pm

sorry, duplicate.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:45 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:15 pm
I drink, bathe, cook, brush my teeth and swim in water from the faucet. Interesting some folks in this 1st world country have 3rd world water. I think I answered my own question.
There are different considerations for water that you put into your nasal passages, ie. things like neti pot or CPAP .
Both recommend the use of distilled water. There are medical reasons for that.

Example :
https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectious ... alth/34332

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:49 pm

I drive a car to work every day which is much more risky, so I’ll take my chances with brain amoeba. There’s a reason cases like that make the news.
Your mileage may vary.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:17 pm

toofache32 wrote:
I take it you don’t live in Detroit.

For that matter, I wouldn’t drink tap water in NJ either.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Unless you use a food grade condenser, you would also likely end up with lead in the water, which is toxic. Regular condensers can be constructed with lead solder.

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:03 pm

I'm curious why you write "distilled" water with the quotation marks? I sense a bias.

Tap water tends to have minerals which, over time can build up in the CPAP machine causing problems.

As mentioned above, water from the dehumidifier can pick up mold, bacteria and other contaminants from the air (and concentrate them in the water). I wouldn't recommend it. Remember that distilled water is boiled first, then condensed thus leaving it sterile. Dehumidifier water does not have the advantage of being boiled first.
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:09 pm

czeckers wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:03 pm
I'm curious why you write "distilled" water with the quotation marks? I sense a bias.
Tap water tends to have minerals which, over time can build up in the CPAP machine causing problems.
As mentioned above, water from the dehumidifier can pick up mold, bacteria and other contaminants from the air (and concentrate them in the water). I wouldn't recommend it. Remember that distilled water is boiled first, then condensed thus leaving it sterile. Dehumidifier water does not have the advantage of being boiled first.
My whole intent was to distinguish between purchased, bottled distilled water and other kinds of distilled water.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:11 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:17 pm
toofache32 wrote:
I take it you don’t live in Detroit.

For that matter, I wouldn’t drink tap water in NJ either.
The problem was not water from the Detroit Water Board that is shared by several counties. The problem was that Flint was under financial management and wanted to save money so they decided to use water from the Flint River that had not been properly tested. I think that they are using water from the Detroit Water Board again. My city gets water from the Detroit Water Board and we have not had any problems. I drink tap water.

TappyGee

Post by TappyGee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:13 pm

yolli71 wrote:

?? Is this OK ??
It also depends on your pressure setting. The higher the pressure the more likely you will need humidity to help tolerate it. Ya don’t want your brain to dry out 😉

sport

Post by sport » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:31 pm

TappyGee wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:13 pm
yolli71 wrote:

?? Is this OK ??
It also depends on your pressure setting. The higher the pressure the more likely you will need humidity to help tolerate it. Ya don’t want your brain to dry out 😉
It might also depend on whether you use a "nasal pillow" or a full face mask. It does not seem that a nasal pillow type would dry out your mouth. A full face mask might. Dry nose?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Since she has received a newer model CPAP machine, my wife reports that she uses more distilled water each night.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:06 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:35 pm
Since she has received a newer model CPAP machine, my wife reports that she uses more distilled water each night.
We told her to tell you that, just to worry you :annoyed
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Deontic

Post by Deontic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 pm

If you would be willing to use the condensed water from a dehumidifier for the water in your "whiskey and water" as well as for ice cubes then you may be able to convince your wife to use it in her CPAP.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Deontic wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 pm
If you would be willing to use the condensed water from a dehumidifier for the water in your "whiskey and water" as well as for ice cubes then you may be able to convince your wife to use it in her CPAP.
old thread .. convinced long ago - not a good idea...