Anyone using VanguardAdvantage with free checking, Visa Gold Debit/ATM, electronic bill pay, direct deposit, plus more?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
mpnret

Anyone using VanguardAdvantage with free checking, Visa Gold Debit/ATM, electronic bill pay, direct deposit, plus more?

Post by mpnret »

I viewed the Vanguard brochure for the Advantage account and it has a lot of useful features (in subject). I did try a search on the forum and didn't come up with much other some old posts. Anyone using it and care to comment?
Rager1

Re: Anyone using VanguardAdvantage with free checking, Visa Gold Debit/ATM, electronic bill pay, direct deposit, plus mo

Post by Rager1 »

Yes. We've been using Vanguard Advantage Accounts for several years. We signed up soon after it was offered through Vanguard.

Highly recommend it. No glitches, no problems, no issues.

Ed
FRANK2009

Re: Anyone using VanguardAdvantage with free checking, Visa Gold Debit/ATM, electronic bill pay, direct deposit, plus mo

Post by FRANK2009 »

I've had Vanguard Advantage for probably 20 years or so. Never had a problem with direct deposit. No problem with the Visa card either. Haven't used any of the other features. I don't even know what else Advantage offers. Maybe it's time to check, so thanks!
looking

Post by looking »

do they change ATM card fees
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

looking wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:26 pm do they change ATM card fees
We have had Advantage accounts for longer than I can remember. We use one as our main checking/billpay account. At least two downsides: free ATM withdrawal at PNC only, and major for us, no mobile check deposit since we switched to the brokerage account format about 2 years ago. Fidelity offers both, but it's too much trouble to change. The billpay works well, so does checking. Both are free for us. Any hiccups, our representative has handled for us.

The Advantage account pulls from the Federal MM in the brokerage. Our SS and pensions direct deposit to the FMM set up through our representative. Our credit cards, mortgage, utilities and other recurring bills are direct debited using the routing number and account number on the checking account.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

A couple of questions to those having the VanguardAdvantage accounts, please!

I knew the bank used was PNC, and there is a PNC bank nearby our home.

Is a VanguardAdvantage account holder able to use PNC brick and mortar banks for things like notary services, safe deposit boxes?

IOW, does PNC treat the VanguardAdvantage account holder like a PNC customer?

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

We have used VanguardAdvantage for 15 years, not one problem. If you download from Quicken I think it fills the register out better than plain old brokerage. I use bill pay for 2 accounts that won't autopay or take credit cards. You do have to email your rep for international travel to use the card.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

I believe the big dealbreaker with this account is the lack of mobile check deposit, I've stuck with Fidelity's CMA for this reason.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:00 pm A couple of questions to those having the VanguardAdvantage accounts, please!

I knew the bank used was PNC, and there is a PNC bank nearby our home.

Is a VanguardAdvantage account holder able to use PNC brick and mortar banks for things like notary services, safe deposit boxes?

IOW, does PNC treat the VanguardAdvantage account holder like a PNC customer?

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
Just for grins a few years ago i tried to setup the account number with PNC, just get an account unrecognized back.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Sounds like straight from the stone age. Maybe some day they will decide to enter the 21st century?
tfb

Post by tfb »

mpnret wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:02 am I viewed the Vanguard brochure for the Advantage account and it has a lot of useful features (in subject). I did try a search on the forum and didn't come up with much other some old posts. Anyone using it and care to comment?
It looks like Vanguard stopped marketing this account. If I go to Vanguard's website I don't see this anywhere by menu navigation. I'm curious how you viewed the Vanguard brochure if you didn't know Vanguard had this option. The existing accounts still work but I doubt Vanguard does a whole lot to fix or enhance this product.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
Topic Author
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

tfb wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:07 pm
mpnret wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:02 am I viewed the Vanguard brochure for the Advantage account and it has a lot of useful features (in subject). I did try a search on the forum and didn't come up with much other some old posts. Anyone using it and care to comment?
It looks like Vanguard stopped marketing this account. If I go to Vanguard's website I don't see this anywhere by menu navigation. I'm curious how you viewed the Vanguard brochure if you didn't know Vanguard had this option. The existing accounts still work but I doubt Vanguard does a whole lot to fix or enhance this product.
I found it by doing a search on the site. My Flagship rep just confirmed it is available and sent me the info to enroll.
Gaspar18

Post by Gaspar18 »

I was wondering ... how come you don't want to use the traditional bank for your checking, bill pay, direct deposit, etc ?

The reason why I ask is perhaps there is an advantage with Vanguard ( or disadvantage with the bank ) that I am not aware of ?
G-Force

Post by G-Force »

Gaspar18 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:43 am I was wondering ... how come you don't want to use the traditional bank for your checking, bill pay, direct deposit, etc ?

The reason why I ask is perhaps there is an advantage with Vanguard ( or disadvantage with the bank ) that I am not aware of ?
The main advantage seems to be letting you have all your banking and investments in one place. That advantage may be non-existing with Vanguard though as the Advantage Account is not competitive with offerings from Schwab and Fidelity.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

I have both brokerage accounts and mutual fund accounts with Vanguard. With the mutual fund accounts I can use mobile check deposit and then move the money online easily to the brokerage accounts. I love Vanguard Advantage. It is pretty cool to get some sort of return on my checking account rather than where I was which was paying virtually nothing. Also the allowed mobile check deposit amounts to my mutual fund accounts are much higher than where I was at Bank of America, which comes in handy.

I like keeping some money in my Vanguard Prime Money market account, earning 2 percent or so these days. I like how easy it is to move that money around.

You are right, they aren't pushing the Advantage account, in the meantime I enjoy it. If you happen to be a Flagship customer many of the fees are waived for the Advantage account.

Over a year ago some of you Bogleheads told me about the account so I signed up.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

I just read in another thread that Vanguard Advantage now allows mobile check deposit as of September 10.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Thank you for posting the news.

Hallelujah!!!

It's been over two years since switching to brokerage and losing mobile check deposit w/o any forewarning. I've had to mobile deposit rent checks to BOA and EFT to Vanguard, limited to my BOA daily/monthly $10k amount. Vanguard gives me $50k.

Thank you!
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

I don’t think Vanguard has ever “pushed” or marketed the Advantage account. At best it’s always been a “by the way” option they have for demanding higher tier customers who want it, and might otherwise run to Fidelity or Schwab.

You can find it buried in account settings as an option.
Broken Man 1999

I considered opening up a VanguardAdvantage account, but decided against it. It would just add another account to monitor, and would actually provide nothing in the way of services that our credit union isn't already providing.

However, seems lately our credit union is starting to lay some fees on some services that were traditionally provided free. We haven't encountered any that cost us anything, though I did have to close an account because I could only have one free one.

VanguardAdvantage might be an option if the credit union cuts back on their free checking accounts, right now we seem safe.

As well, recently I was able to add my credit union accounts to the "Outside investments" tab at Vanguard. Previously I was unable to add them, for some unknown reason. Now I can, and am able to see all my investment balances, (including my $1.00 investment in Fidelity's Zero funds) and credit union account balances with one sign-in to Vanguard.

Fidelity ZERO International Index Fund 0.00% 0.100 $9.67 $0.97 (-.03)
Fidelity ZERO Total Market Index Fund 0.00% 0.097 $10.25 $0.99 (-.01)

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
beyou

Post by beyou »

It is only free for large clients, so not many consider this since you can get all services free elsewhere :

Flagship annual fee No fee
Voyager Select annual fee $30
Electronic bill payment Voyager Select clients pay $4.95 per month; Flagship clients pay no fee.

But note if you don't live near a PNC bank, you must pay ATM fees.
I have accounts at online financial services firms where they reimburse fees from other banks, Vanguard Advantage does not do so.

With the addition of mobile deposit, this gets more interesting, but without free ATM withdrawals, not so compelling.

Vanguard has made it so easy to move money to/from another bank, don't see this as necessary even though it's free for me as a Flagship client.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Vanguard doesn't charge ATM fees, but most ATM operators will charge a fee if you use a card outside of their network. Vanguard's ATM uses PNC Bank and is free on PNC ATM's, which is limited and not available out west / left coast. You can often bypass ATM fees by getting cash back at a point-of-sale when buying groceries etc.

I don't currently have the Vanguard Advantage Account, have considered it as I like the idea of consolidating banking to a single statement, but as it is without the AA, you can't ACH PULL money from my Vanguard account, and I like the security of having my transactions on an external bank that I have to PUSH money to out of my Vanguard account, and only to a 'approved' linked account (that takes some time and notifications to establish).
I'm also hesitant about where I'm willing to swipe an ATM/DEBIT card. Currently I never use my ATM card at POS terminals, I use a credit card that has more extensive zero-liability protection from fraud, and doesn't put me in a situation of fighting to get access to my money back. I've known multiple people who've had their debit cards compromised and most likely happened when a stores POS system was compromised.

I'll add that on top of the security concern, there's nothing making me want to leave current bank as Capital One 360 checking is completely free, with more/better features, more free ATMs, and you don't have to keep money in it as you can get no-fee very low-rate overdraft credit and/or link it to a FDIC insured Money Market account that offers interest almost as good as Vanguard's MM fund.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Broken Man 1999

JoMoney wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:00 pm
Vanguard doesn't charge ATM fees, but most ATM operators will charge a fee if you use a card outside of their network. Vanguard's ATM uses PNC Bank and is free on PNC ATM's, which is limited and not available out west / left coast. You can often bypass ATM fees by getting cash back at a point-of-sale when buying groceries etc.

I don't currently have the Vanguard Advantage Account, have considered it as I like the idea of consolidating banking to a single statement, but as it is without the AA, you can't ACH PULL money from my Vanguard account, and I like the security of having my transactions on an external bank that I have to PUSH money to out of my Vanguard account, and only to a 'approved' linked account (that takes some time and notifications to establish).
I'm also hesitant about where I'm willing to swipe an ATM/DEBIT card. Currently I never use my ATM card at POS terminals, I use a credit card that has more extensive zero-liability protection from fraud, and doesn't put me in a situation of fighting to get access to my money back. I've known multiple people who've had their debit cards compromised and most likely happened when a stores POS system was compromised.
I share you concerns about debit cards.

I have never used a debit card as I see no value in using one. My CU says they will treat a debit card like a credit card if hacked, but I'd rather use a credit card and get rewards.

My current card is strictly an ATM card, can't be used as a debit card, per my request. A call to my CU was all it took to remove the debit ability.

The CU is part of a very robust ATM network, so very easy to get money without getting hit by ATM charges. Wife usually uses the ATM at the CU, or the ATM at Publix.

Broken Man 1999
smectym

Post by smectym »

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 pm I have both brokerage accounts and mutual fund accounts with Vanguard. With the mutual fund accounts I can use mobile check deposit and then move the money online easily to the brokerage accounts. I love Vanguard Advantage. It is pretty cool to get some sort of return on my checking account rather than where I was which was paying virtually nothing. Also the allowed mobile check deposit amounts to my mutual fund accounts are much higher than where I was at Bank of America, which comes in handy.

I like keeping some money in my Vanguard Prime Money market account, earning 2 percent or so these days. I like how easy it is to move that money around.

You are right, they aren't pushing the Advantage account, in the meantime I enjoy it. If you happen to be a Flagship customer many of the fees are waived for the Advantage account.

Over a year ago some of you Bogleheads told me about the account so I signed up.
Agree with VanguardFan: the core accounts at Schwab and Fidelity pay derisory, still close to zero “FDIC insured” interest rates. Vanguard
uses a fully competitive market-rate money market fund (Federal Money Market) as its core settlement fund. As short-term market rates continue to rise, that’s becoming relevant again.

How important this is to you depends on how large your average cash balance in the core fund is. If it’s $10,000, then maybe you get $15 or $20 more a month in interest by using Vanguard Advantage vs. Fidelity or Schwab. Not earth-shaking, but how many of us would object to a $15 or $20 a month fee?

Smectym
BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul »

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:38 pm I just read in another thread that Vanguard Advantage now allows mobile check deposit as of September 10.
Note that this is for accounts accounts that have been open for at least 60 days. So if opening a new account, know that this will not work for two months.
lisaneedsbraces

Post by lisaneedsbraces »

Does anyone know if the Vanguard Advantage account lets you:

1. Deposit a check by scanning and uploading the images

2. Send a wire to a third party
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

smectym wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:14 pm Agree with VanguardFan: the core accounts at Schwab and Fidelity pay derisory, still close to zero “FDIC insured” interest rates. Vanguard
uses a fully competitive market-rate money market fund (Federal Money Market) as its core settlement fund. As short-term market rates continue to rise, that’s becoming relevant again.

How important this is to you depends on how large your average cash balance in the core fund is. If it’s $10,000, then maybe you get $15 or $20 more a month in interest by using Vanguard Advantage vs. Fidelity or Schwab. Not earth-shaking, but how many of us would object to a $15 or $20 a month fee?

Smectym
$10k in a Fidelity Cash Management Account (CMA) can easily be kept in SPRXX (Fidelity Money Market Account). It has a current yield of 1.90%. Although this is not the core settlement account (you have manually buy it), it's as good as cash since Fidelity will automatically liquidate the fund for any transaction (e.g. bill pay, ATM withdrawal, ACH transfers).

For an average monthly balance of $10k, the dividend difference between SPRXX and my all-time favorite Money Market Fund, VMMXX, comes out to $10k*(0.3%)/12= $26/year (not $15 to $20/month). For me, the biggest benefits of CMA are the no minimums, no monthly account fees, mobile check deposit, all ATM fees are refunded, and you can build auto-rolling Treasury ladders.

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /31617H201
https://www.fidelity.com/fixed-income-b ... ll-program
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

mervinj7 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:08 pm...For me, the biggest benefits of CMA are the no minimums, no monthly account fees, mobile check deposit, all ATM fees are refunded, and you can build auto-rolling Treasury ladders...
It also gives you an account to deposit cash from their 2% cash-back credit card :greedy
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
lisaneedsbraces

JoMoney wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:26 pm
mervinj7 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:08 pm...For me, the biggest benefits of CMA are the no minimums, no monthly account fees, mobile check deposit, all ATM fees are refunded, and you can build auto-rolling Treasury ladders...
It also gives you an account to deposit cash from their 2% cash-back credit card :greedy
Unfortunately the cash back needs to be manually moved to a money market fund, so about the same amount of effort required to move it to another account.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

lisaneedsbraces wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:35 pm
Unfortunately the cash back needs to be manually moved to a money market fund, so about the same amount of effort required to move it to another account.
Provided you have another account... Fidelity's card requires the cash back bonus be deposited into a Fidelity account.
lisaneedsbraces

JoMoney wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:38 pm
lisaneedsbraces wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:35 pm
Provided you have another account... Fidelity's card requires the cash back bonus be deposited into a Fidelity account.
I'd like to consolidate everything at Fidelity, but I want as much as possible on autopilot. I don't like that deposits will sit earning 0% until I have a chance to move them in to a money market fund. The other things missing, as far as I know, is the ability to wire money to a third party, and deposit checks by uploading the images. I rarely need either of these features, but Schwab and Ally can do the former, and Ally can do the later.

Schwab is even worse, and money needs to be manually put in and taken out of the money market fund. But I do like that they are an actual bank, and it looks like I can send third party wires.

VanguardAdvantage seems like it might be the best option, keeping all money invested in Government Money Market at all times, but it doesn't do much for simplifying things if I still need the Fidelity CMA for the 2% card deposits, Fidelity/Schwab for ATM reimbursements, and Schwab/Ally for third party wires.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Just use a brokerage account instead of the CMA, it's basically identical except it uses a money market fund as the core position.
lisaneedsbraces wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:03 pm I'd like to consolidate everything at Fidelity, but I want as much as possible on autopilot. I don't like that deposits will sit earning 0% until I have a chance to move them in to a money market fund.
grp2c

Post by grp2c »

If you are premium status with fidelity then all ATM fees are reimbursed with the standard fidelity brokerage account.

Core position options are SPAXX or FZFXX which earn more interest than the fdic insured core in the CMA.

The cash manager feature on the CMA account is not available on the fidelity brokerage account.

Not sure if vanguard advantage account will auto liquidate money market funds to pay debits like the fidelity will.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/atm-debit-card
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

JoMoney wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:38 pmProvided you have another account... Fidelity's card requires the cash back bonus be deposited into a Fidelity account.
My cash back goes right back to pay the Visa bill. I don't see the need for it to go any further for a few pennies. (It's setup to automatically redeem when it crosses $50 minimum and goes into CMA, as soon as I notice it, any credit gets transferred to the Visa as payment)
lisaneedsbraces wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:03 pmI'd like to consolidate everything at Fidelity, but I want as much as possible on autopilot. I don't like that deposits will sit earning 0% until I have a chance to move them in to a money market fund. The other things missing, as far as I know, is the ability to wire money to a third party, and deposit checks by uploading the images. I rarely need either of these features, but Schwab and Ally can do the former, and Ally can do the later.

Schwab is even worse, and money needs to be manually put in and taken out of the money market fund. But I do like that they are an actual bank, and it looks like I can send third party wires.

VanguardAdvantage seems like it might be the best option, keeping all money invested in Government Money Market at all times, but it doesn't do much for simplifying things if I still need the Fidelity CMA for the 2% card deposits, Fidelity/Schwab for ATM reimbursements, and Schwab/Ally for third party wires.
If you're going to optimize, then it means more specialized accounts. Sometimes simplification means making a compromise. I think Ally is out for me and I'm choosing between Schwab/Fidelity and Vanguard if/when I make Flagship. Schwab is running a distant third for me, and since I don't have an account there, no need to start.

I like the autopilot too, but maybe I can live without it. If I'm using billpay on a regular basis, I can swing over to another page and make a money market purchase every once in a while manually. I thought all of them did check deposits by now, but sometimes, the images are not available. Will have to check on that, but it seems I'm using that even less and less now. Maybe it's time for me to expand the usage of the Fidelity accounts and not wait around to qualify for Vanguard.

What is Mobile Check Investment at Vanguard? Maybe it's something new. viewtopic.php?t=250138
https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/mobile-apps

https://www.fidelity.com/mobile/mobile-check-deposit
lisaneedsbraces

arf30 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:29 pm Just use a brokerage account instead of the CMA, it's basically identical except it uses a money market fund as the core position.
lisaneedsbraces wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:03 pm I'd like to consolidate everything at Fidelity, but I want as much as possible on autopilot. I don't like that deposits will sit earning 0% until I have a chance to move them in to a money market fund.
I had forgoten about that. Will the CMA still pull funds from brokerage account money market funds? And does Fidelity have the Premium service benefits documented anywhere? I can’t find anything on their website, just references to it on sites like this.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

lisaneedsbraces wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:57 pm
arf30 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:29 pm Just use a brokerage account instead of the CMA, it's basically identical except it uses a money market fund as the core position.
I had forgoten about that. Will the CMA still pull funds from brokerage account money market funds?
Yes, enable the cash manager on the CMA and have it pull from the brokerage as needed. It'll sell any MM fund in either the CMA or the brokerage automatically. Would be nice if Fidelity let you change the core position on the CMA instead though.
b4real

Post by b4real »

We've had Vanguard Advantage since it was first available. I also have it on two trust accounts. Mobile deposit used to be available but not since the changeover to brokerage accounts. The Vanguard Advantage account is linked to our USAA checking account and funds can be transferred back and forth easily. If I have a check I want to deposit to Vanguard, I mobile deposit it to USAA then transfer to the VA account. We also do a monthly automatic transfer from VA to USAA to supplement SS and pension, and I do automatic estimated tax payments to eftps.gov and our state tax agency from the VA account. Easy to do since there's a routing number. Billpay and paper checks are also available. I have never used the ATM card.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

b4real wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:13 pm We've had Vanguard Advantage since it was first available. I also have it on two trust accounts. Mobile deposit used to be available but not since the changeover to brokerage accounts. The Vanguard Advantage account is linked to our USAA checking account and funds can be transferred back and forth easily. If I have a check I want to deposit to Vanguard, I mobile deposit it to USAA then transfer to the VA account. We also do a monthly automatic transfer from VA to USAA to supplement SS and pension, and I do automatic estimated tax payments to eftps.gov and our state tax agency from the VA account. Easy to do since there's a routing number. Billpay and paper checks are also available. I have never used the ATM card.
Mobile check deposit is back in brokerage Advantage accounts as of early Sept 2018. I've used it twice since then. Once for a test using a small refund check, and just yesterday for a large check to my LLC account. Both worked as expected.

I love that the daily limit is $50,000, at least for flagship. I don't get near that but I do some low 5 figure checks. I had used a similar kluge making a mobile deposit at BOA and then EFT to Vanguard, but my BOA limit is $10,000 for the entire month.

Great that its back and working. It took two years w/o any warning as part of the "upgrade".
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

I have the advantage account but other than writing a few checks I haven't used it. It was going to be my go to checking account. But when I was ready it paid almost nothing not the 2+% it is paying now. I have pension and SS sent to an online Savings paying a bit less than that and 2X a month transfer money to checking paying .65%. But, lots of free ATMs, reimburse $20 month for any other ATM charges, mobile check deposit, instant transfers between Savings and Checking and 24/7 service. Kind of a wash since I leave much of my cash at VG Fed MMKT.

I also like having some assets outside of Vanguard. But, I don't know why VG doesn't update this product since it would seem to attract assets, new clients and keep existing clients . But you have to use the search feature to find any info on it. :oops:
NYnative

Post by NYnative »

It’s a great idea to consolidate accounts for simplicity, but I draw the line between investing and banking. Vanguard is is my investing platform. Navy Federal Credit Union for banking. Just about everything is free. Good loan rates. Great credit cards and rewards. And easy to use phone app that lets you deposit checks. Personally, I think it’s a bad idea to combine banking with investing. It just takes one click to move money in either direction and I have brick and mortar branches. Not aware of any VG offices in my area and not many anywhere.