Social Security

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
willyd123

Social Security

Post by willyd123 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 am

Hello -

I have spent a good bit of time on the Social Sec website and on the internet in general trying to get an accurate estimate of my wife and my SS benefits but I just can't seem to get one. I even tried to go into the SS detailed calculator but it would not allow me in for some reason.

Is there a free and accurate calculator available? I have reviewed my SS statement but I know the values provided make assumptions that are not consistent with my situation which is that I plan to retire early (age 57) plus the values are in today's dollars, etc.

I also read on the internet that SS includes 35 years of earnings AFTER the age of 21. The "after age 21" is news to me. There must be something more useful out there? Or maybe there's a service who can do this for a fee?

JoeRetire

Re: Social Security

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:52 am

willyd123 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 am
Hello -

I have spent a good bit of time on the Social Sec website and on the internet in general trying to get an accurate estimate of my wife and my SS benefits but I just can't seem to get one. I even tried to go into the SS detailed calculator but it would not allow me in for some reason.
Go to https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ and create an account if you don't already have one.
Your Social Security statement there includes an estimate provided by the government.
Is there a free and accurate calculator available? I have reviewed my SS statement but I know the values provided make assumptions that are not consistent with my situation which is that I plan to retire early (age 57) plus the values are in today's dollars, etc.
You can use https://www.ssa.gov/oact/anypia/anypia.html

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:53 am

willyd123 wrote:
https://socialsecurity.tools/
willyd123 wrote:
I also read on the internet that SS includes 35 years of earnings AFTER the age of 21. The "after age 21" is news to me. There must be something more useful out there? Or maybe there's a service who can do this for a fee?
The calculation of your retirement benefit will look at earnings prior to age 22.

The rule regarding "after age 21" is for counting how many years will be looked at when calculating the PIA for a person who becomes disabled or dies prior to age 62. There's also "after age 21" wording relating to counting how many quarters of coverage you must have in order to be "fully insured," which is what allows you to qualify for retirement/disability benefits and allows your spouse/children to potentially qualify for benefits on your record as well. (But the answer is just "40 quarters of coverage" for everybody these days who makes it to 62 without having died or become disabled. And earnings prior to age 22 do count.)

https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0110.htm
Last edited by ObliviousInvestor on Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Piper, author/blogger

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:15 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:52 am
willyd123 wrote:
Hello -

Go to https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ and create an account if you don't already have one.
Your Social Security statement there includes an estimate provided by the government.
You can use https://www.ssa.gov/oact/anypia/anypia.html
do you have to be a certain age to register at your first link?

when i try to enroll, it says I can't and to call them

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:19 am

Is your credit frozen? You cannot sign up with a frozen credit.

You might also have answered a question or two incorrectly. Some of the questions are tricky.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:22 am

HueyLD wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:19 am

You might also have answered a question or two incorrectly. Some of the questions are tricky.
ahh, that would be it... frozen credit

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:30 am

willyd123 wrote:
I also read on the internet that SS includes 35 years of earnings AFTER the age of 21. The "after age 21" is news to me.
Be careful what you read "on the internet." You should evaluate the source, where did you read that, and what exactly did it say?

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:53 am

jehovasfitness wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:22 am
HueyLD wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:19 am

ahh, that would be it... frozen credit
You can opt to unfreeze your credit temporarily or go into an SS office to create your SS online account. They can create the account for you if you show up in person with ID.