Real estate dropping like a rock in U.K. - can the U.S. be far behind?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
CULater

Real estate dropping like a rock in U.K. - can the U.S. be far behind?

Post by CULater »

Seems like real estate prices and bidding wars in the U.S. have been as crazy as in England. Now with rising interest rates, the party seems to be over in the U.K. Is this likely to be a global phenomenon? Bad time to be buying?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/artic ... risis.html
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
afan

Re: Real estate dropping like a rock in U.K. - can the U.S. be far behind?

Post by afan »

The UK has to deal with the anticipated effects of Brexit. Although there may be some spill over to the US, that is a unique issue to the UK. I would not draw any direct links to the markets in other countries.

US residential real estate is cooling but the last I saw it was still going up. Will prices go down somewhat, at some time, in US? Probably. I doubt anyone can predict how much or when.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

In london prime and the south of england there are some drops but most of that is just the froth of th e recent bubble but overall prices are still going up and seem likely to continue to do so.ly

I definitely haven't seen anything reasonably priced in the areas I look in.
drk

Post by drk »

letsgobobby wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:25 am Prices are falling in Seattle. Just a little. But that's a big change.
Not falling yet, just rising more moderately. It's still a big change, though.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
runner540

Post by runner540 »

Don't forget Canada and Australia that are also seeing big drops in housing values right now.

I'm seeing lots of price reductions and much bigger inventory at all price points in my area of DFW than I did the last 2 years.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

The party in the states is ending slowly as rates rise. High end has already slowed a lot.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Mortgage application in California are sharply down in past few weeks. A couple of people whose opinion I value think the peak in this cycle was beginning of August.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

CULater wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:01 am the party seems to be over in the U.K. Is this likely to be a global phenomenon? Bad time to be buying?
From the article you linked
A report by the Office for National Statistics and Land Registry yesterday showed:

Overall UK house prices rose by only 3 per cent or £6,714 to £228,384 in the 12 months to June – the slowest increase since August 2013
So by "dropping like a rock" you mean "up 3 per cent"? Is there a need to be overly histrionic? What does that serve?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

snackdog wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:59 am The party in the states is ending slowly as rates rise. High end has already slowed a lot.
Our house in Northern NJ is considered high end. It just went under contract for approx 20% less than realtors recommended listing it for, and we all considered it fairly priced.

NY suburbs are experiencing shaky buyers. Their jobs, often on Wall Street, are not very secure. DeutscheBank laying off piles, other banks are tightening belts. Garment industry jittery because of possible trade wars. SALT and mortgage deductions changes.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drk

Post by drk »

letsgobobby wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:37 pm
drk wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 am
letsgobobby wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:25 am Prices are falling in Seattle. Just a little. But that's a big change.
No, it's actually falling month to month, and that is not a seasonally adjusted change.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/r ... ce-growth/
Ah, we were referring to different things. We'll see if month-over-month declines continue, but it'll really be news when we see a year-over-year price-drop.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

This is just an anecdotal observation, but I am now receiving 3-4 times a week a "WE WILL PAY CASH FOR YOUR HOME" flyer from some outfit... and those always seem to show up with that frequency when the local housing market is about to slow down. :happy
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

drk wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:41 pm
No, it's actually falling month to month, and that is not a seasonally adjusted change.

Ah, we were referring to different things. We'll see if month-over-month declines continue, but it'll really be news when we see a year-over-year price-drop.
I had this same discussion recently. It’s not unusual to see MoM price drops in a normal healthy market where the YoY trend is still up. It just seems weird in Seattle because the last few years have been so crazy. A lot of people seem to have have forgotten what normal RE markets are like. I think we’ll still see 4-5% appreciation over the next 10 years in Seattle.
denovo

Post by denovo »

CULater wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:01 am Seems like real estate prices and bidding wars in the U.S. have been as crazy as in England. Now with rising interest rates, the party seems to be over in the U.K. Is this likely to be a global phenomenon? Bad time to be buying?

I don't see any reason why the UK should be a leading indicator of the US.

Also, there is no national real estate market, 2008 was a rare example of real estate going down in the entire county at the same time, but that's usually not the norm. Different local economies have had real estate go up at different rates, and they will go down, if down at all, at different rates.
Last edited by denovo on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
denovo

Post by denovo »

This is interesting info, thank you.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:13 am
snackdog wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:59 am The party in the states is ending slowly as rates rise. High end has already slowed a lot.
Our house in Northern NJ is considered high end. It just went under contract for approx 20% less than realtors recommended listing it for, and we all considered it fairly priced.

NY suburbs are experiencing shaky buyers. Their jobs, often on Wall Street, are not very secure. DeutscheBank laying off piles, other banks are tightening belts. Garment industry jittery because of possible trade wars. SALT and mortgage deductions changes.
Realtors are the worst at providing appraisal. Their job is to get the highest price because they are paid commissions based on selling price. Garment industry jitters? Ha! Garment industry never paid that well. Agree with Wall Street though, it’s a feast or famine business. Deutsche has been written up in the papers for years now, this is nothing new there.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

nguy44 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:00 pm This is just an anecdotal observation, but I am now receiving 3-4 times a week a "WE WILL PAY CASH FOR YOUR HOME" flyer from some outfit... and those always seem to show up with that frequency when the local housing market is about to slow down. :happy
They will pay cash alright, but only offer you 50-60 percent fair value. That sound like a good idea?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Wash.Invest

Post by Wash.Invest »

Housing can be very cyclical (economy / employment / interest rates)

Has been a very long 'rich' spell for all sectors, so I expect some 'adjustment' in RE (which affects my 'passive' portfolio / asset mix / income a lot).

Cash and accessible capital is a good thing to have in a RE downturn.

As mentioned... the UK has some unique challenges at the moment, so likely not a direct indicator of a WW trend.
The WORLD has other pending issues.... (potential torpedoes and other Bombs)
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:15 pm
Realtors are the worst at providing appraisal. Their job is to get the highest price because they are paid commissions based on selling price. Garment industry jitters? Ha! Garment industry never paid that well. Agree with Wall Street though, it’s a feast or famine business. Deutsche has been written up in the papers for years now, this is nothing new there.
I have to disagree about realtors: in practice, their job is to close the transaction, and the selling price is less important than them being involved in the transaction rather than another realtor.

DW and I both worked at Deutsche Bank, years ago, and still have many friends inside. I know DB's troubles have been reported on for years; it is different now, and the psychology has, imo, reached a tipping point. Ditto other workers at marginal financial firms.

By garment industry I didn't mean retail or wholesale clothing workers; I mean designers, fashion company CEOs, buyers, etc.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

In the US, I would expect the new talk laws to be a key driver to reduced demand. For a large number of modest home buyers, the government will no longer be subsidizing their house purchase.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:17 pm
nguy44 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:00 pm This is just an anecdotal observation, but I am now receiving 3-4 times a week a "WE WILL PAY CASH FOR YOUR HOME" flyer from some outfit... and those always seem to show up with that frequency when the local housing market is about to slow down. :happy
They will pay cash alright, but only offer you 50-60 percent fair value. That sound like a good idea?

I think this observation was offered merely as a symptom of a slowdown.

Those signs started showing up here last year.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:36 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:15 pm
I have to disagree about realtors: in practice, their job is to close the transaction, and the selling price is less important than them being involved in the transaction rather than another realtor.

DW and I both worked at Deutsche Bank, years ago, and still have many friends inside. I know DB's troubles have been reported on for years; it is different now, and the psychology has, imo, reached a tipping point. Ditto other workers at marginal financial firms.

By garment industry I didn't mean retail or wholesale clothing workers; I mean designers, fashion company CEOs, buyers, etc.
I see your point.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Purely anecdotal in my area but when you hear 30 something’s talking about their latest flip in the grocery line something bad is going to happen. Heard the exact same conversations in 2007.

FWIW. The bottom of the housing market here had 1100sf starter homes at $89,000 (short sale) same street, similar house today $330,000
Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes »

Lots of "price reduced" notices on property in our HCOL NorCal neighborhood. Also more inventory available as compared to last year. Starter homes not affected so much. Tax laws seem to be having an effect on the mid-higher end properties.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

fyi I've noticed people saying "Prices are falling" rather than "Prices have fallen". The first assumes the past will continue into the future (unknown). The second says the only thing we know, what has happened, not what will happen.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

CULater wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:01 am Seems like real estate prices and bidding wars in the U.S. have been as crazy as in England. Now with rising interest rates, the party seems to be over in the U.K. Is this likely to be a global phenomenon? Bad time to be buying?

AFAIK the US has local pockets of mania but housing in the USA does not look overvalued overall. Not all places have caught up with their 2006 highs, even. The problem is, as ever, a shortage of new homes in metropolitan areas with high demand plus the near mania associated with a very strong tech sector.

UK is different. Housing prices outside of London and SE did slip back post 2008 but are pretty much recovered or exceeding them. London they are near all time highs (say 10% below). And there is Brexit which casts a cloud over everything -if the financial services industry moves significant numbers of jobs, London will hurt.

Canada and Australia have the obvious bubbles right now. Serious bubbles (Vancouver, Toronto, Sydney, Melbourne + Auckland & maybe Singapore & Stockholm). All cities far above their historic averages and relative to incomes and rents extremely expensive.
desafinado

Post by desafinado »

Multiples in Manhattan and Brooklyn are still way up there. Anything bigger than a studio apartment is still selling for 20x rents or more.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

I have a friend in the NYC suburbs. He reports that houses above the median price in his HCOL area are hard to sell, and virtually none of them sell at the tax assessor's appraised value of them that were done about four years ago. The market is very very soft, with many houses to look at for a potential buyer. The problem is that the sellers won't (can't?) budge on the price.
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

New York City suburb here and prices have decreased and number of days on market have been increased.

Also noticing many homes in areas we are considering in western Florida seem to be on the market for longer periods of time before sale.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Another anecdotal data point from Columbus, Ohio.

We listed our house three weeks ago on a Thursday and showed it on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We had nine offers (all above asking price) to choose from by 6:00 p.m. on Sunday. We have a modest 1,700 sq foot house and there are more buyers for homes in this price point than higher end properties. Our house was in excellent condition which had to help.

That said, we are happy to be moving on to a new house that will be better to age in. In our case we are up sizing to 2,300 sq feet though we will be without a basement for the first time in our home owning days.
Dan-in-Virginia

Post by Dan-in-Virginia »

It’s all based on location. The 1951 house next door to mine with 1500 square feet is getting its list at $770k.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Gray wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:56 pm It’s all based on location. The 1951 house next door to mine with 1500 square feet is getting its list at $770k.
Granted there is this "proximity to Gray" factor which lifts housing prices ;-).

But where in the USA (metropolitan area) is this?
denovo

Post by denovo »

Valuethinker wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:56 am
Gray wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:56 pm It’s all based on location. The 1951 house next door to mine with 1500 square feet is getting its list at $770k.
Granted there is this "proximity to Gray" factor which lifts housing prices ;-).

But where in the USA (metropolitan area) is this?
My money is on Los Angeles or No Va.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

bikechuck wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:58 am Another anecdotal data point from Columbus, Ohio.

We listed our house three weeks ago on a Thursday and showed it on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We had nine offers (all above asking price) to choose from by 6:00 p.m. on Sunday. We have a modest 1,700 sq foot house and there are more buyers for homes in this price point than higher end properties. Our house was in excellent condition which had to help.

That said, we are happy to be moving on to a new house that will be better to age in. In our case we are up sizing to 2,300 sq feet though we will be without a basement for the first time in our home owning days.
The US economy is strong to very strong.

Unemployment is at a more than 10 year low.

House construction dropped off a cliff after the crash, and only slowly recovered. Many smaller builders were wiped out, and banks are less willing/ able to lend to housing developers. There is a broad skill shortage now in the industry.

It's not surprising then that supply is having trouble keeping up with demand.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Thank you for sharing.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

unclescrooge wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 am Mortgage application in California are sharply down in past few weeks. A couple of people whose opinion I value think the peak in this cycle was beginning of August.
I did read a good article on the decline in California as well.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Irisheyes wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:29 pm Tax laws seem to be having an effect on the mid-higher end properties.
In my opinion I believe we may hear of more surprises at tax time and adjustments to the housing market once the full impact of the tax law changes ripples through.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

The Economist's indices of house prices in various countries says they have been much more richly valued in the UK, Canada and Australia recently than in the US.

https://infographics.economist.com/2017/HPI/index.html
You can play around with dates and prices vs incomes or v rents but similar story post US crash: US went significant down on those measures of home price richness in the crash and only somewhat back up since, other three went down less in the crash and more up since, through end of 2016.

I agree though as others commented NY area now is on the soft side compared to say last year, noticeably. Not dropping like a rock though.
passiveTiger

Post by passiveTiger »

Median Sales Price for New Houses Sold in the United States - https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MSPNHSUS

Average Sales Price for New Houses Sold in the United States - https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ASPNHSUS

Median Sales Price of Existing Homes - https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/HOSMEDUSM052N

Mean Sales Price of Existing Homes - https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/HOSAVGUSM052N
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Fundamentals are somewhat different in UK vs US.
For example, UK has Brexit, with rather uncertain outcomes.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

passiveTiger wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:23 am

Median Sales Price for New Houses Sold in the United States - https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MSPNHSUS

Average Sales Price for New Houses Sold in the United States - https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ASPNHSUS

Median Sales Price of Existing Homes - https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/HOSMEDUSM052N

Mean Sales Price of Existing Homes - https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/HOSAVGUSM052N

I much prefer this one:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CSUSHPINSA
S&P/Case-Shiller U.S. National Home Price Index (CSUSHPINSA)

This is a much more robust index, based on repeat sales pair method.

There are several variations:
- firstly, for most indices there is NSA (not seasonally adjusted) and SA (seasonally adjusted),
- there is a 10 mega city average index,
- there is a 20 large city average index,
- there are indices for many major metro areas in the USA,
- for some metro areas, there are multiple indices (e.g., New York City has a broad index and a Condo index),
- also for New York City, for example, there are 'Tier' indices, where 'Tier' indicates different level of housing stock.

Here is the index series page:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/release?rid=199

Case Shiller index is really the gold standard in measuring housing price levels.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
passiveTiger

Post by passiveTiger »

AlphaLess wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:00 am
passiveTiger wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:23 am

I much prefer this one:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CSUSHPINSA
S&P/Case-Shiller U.S. National Home Price Index (CSUSHPINSA)

This is a much more robust index, based on repeat sales pair method.

There are several variations:
- firstly, for most indices there is NSA (not seasonally adjusted) and SA (seasonally adjusted),
- there is a 10 mega city average index,
- there is a 20 large city average index,
- there are indices for many major metro areas in the USA,
- for some metro areas, there are multiple indices (e.g., New York City has a broad index and a Condo index),
- also for New York City, for example, there are 'Tier' indices, where 'Tier' indicates different level of housing stock.

Here is the index series page:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/release?rid=199

Case Shiller index is really the gold standard in measuring housing price levels.
I realize that Case-Shiller is well cited, but averages can be too skewed toward the higher end that has been selling. Medians have their place.

Repeat sales method is a good measurement for existing property value, but it excludes (by definition) new homes. The median and average prices for new homes have been falling since March, but the median and average prices for existing homes have been rising sharply since February - just like Case-Shiller shows they are.

The Fed housing price data is available in regional issues as well.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

JackoC wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:59 pm The Economist's indices of house prices in various countries says they have been much more richly valued in the UK, Canada and Australia recently than in the US.

https://infographics.economist.com/2017/HPI/index.html
You can play around with dates and prices vs incomes or v rents but similar story post US crash: US went significant down on those measures of home price richness in the crash and only somewhat back up since, other three went down less in the crash and more up since, through end of 2016.

I agree though as others commented NY area now is on the soft side compared to say last year, noticeably. Not dropping like a rock though.
And, not coincidentally, US personal debt levels are much more reasonable than Canada, Australia, probably UK. US consumer has deleveraged since 2006.

Stockholm is apparently also bad - real signs of a bubble. The Swedes went through the mother of all banking crashes in the early 1990s (along with the Norwegians) so one assumes Bank of Sweden is on it. One assumes.
boglerdude

Post by boglerdude »

Sweden has 100 year mortgages. Can someone explain why this good? Because it is good, quality of life in Sweden is high.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

SimplicityNow wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:35 am New York City suburb here and prices have decreased and number of days on market have been increased.

Also noticing many homes in areas we are considering in western Florida seem to be on the market for longer periods of time before sale.
We recently purchased in NYC suburbs. I can’t speak for the high end but in the $400-$500k range I didn’t find it to be soft at all. The issue was that there simply aren’t many houses for sale in that price range. And many of the ones that were needed extensive work.
I likely overpaid for the house I’m in but the reality was that we had been outbid on 3 other homes and we were not seeing many homes worth purchasing.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

boglerdude wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:12 am Sweden has 100 year mortgages. Can someone explain why this good? Because it is good, quality of life in Sweden is high.
Japan had these also - at least at the peak of the boom.

There's a lot of change and social tension going on in Sweden -- to go further would get us into contentious and forbidden areas. It is not paradise-- although the Nordic mentality seems generally to be a pragmatic problem-solving one.

I tend to view 100 year mortgages as a sign that a housing market has gotten overheated. The mortgage lender is basically taking equity risk (almost) for debt return? However it may be the way of the future.

Stockholm's housing market is overheated. Really overheated.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:53 am
SimplicityNow wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:35 am New York City suburb here and prices have decreased and number of days on market have been increased.

We recently purchased in NYC suburbs. I can’t speak for the high end but in the $400-$500k range I didn’t find it to be soft at all. The issue was that there simply aren’t many houses for sale in that price range. And many of the ones that were needed extensive work.
I likely overpaid for the house I’m in but the reality was that we had been outbid on 3 other homes and we were not seeing many homes worth purchasing.
This is a consistent theme that one reads about US metropolitan markets. Not enough new homes have been built in the USA to meet new demand plus unsatisfied or deferred demand from the last 10 years post crash.