[Deleted]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
munemaker

Re: Take your canes out in Emerging Markets

Post by munemaker »

I don't know what this means.

Is there a question in there somewhere?
Last edited by munemaker on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I shall ignore the 110-year-old anecdote about alleged successes of unidentified "old veterans of Wall street" unless you can convince me that those venerable gents were investing in emerging markets index funds in 1908.
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
k66

Post by k66 »

Now Hear This: Load torpedo bay "EM"; Commence Market Timing at will.
LOSER of the Boglehead Contest 2015 | lang may yer lum reek
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 am I shall ignore the 110-year-old anecdote about alleged successes of unidentified "old veterans of Wall street" unless you can convince me that those venerable gents in were investing in emerging markets index funds in 1908.
Well, apparently Henry Clews was a British citizen who was investing in the US by the 1850s. I think the US was an emerging market back then, especially from a British perspective :)

He seems to have a been a bond trader, making him even more exotic: someone who invested in emerging markets government bonds that were denominated in the local currency!
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

All Real Bogleheads ™ look to grap0013, praise be his username, for all of our emerging markets market timing predictions: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=182107
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

So based on this post, am I supposed to buy up Turkish stocks like crazy?

The post mentioned nothing about Emerging Markets except in the title. Emerging Markets are what I call "Tiger in the Tank" investments, a high octane additive to give your investments more oomph. But these are risky and volatile investments, not like the Blue Chip stocks that old Wall Streeters load up on in times of crisis.
A fool and his money are good for business.
MJW

Post by MJW »

nedsaid wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:11 am So based on this post, am I supposed to buy up Turkish stocks like crazy?
Haven't their stocks already suffered enough? :P
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

AlohaJoe wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:07 am All Real Bogleheads ™ look to grap0013, praise be his username, for all of our emerging markets market timing predictions: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=182107
+1 :)

I bought 25 VWO this morning.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

triceratop wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:55 am
AlohaJoe wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:07 am All Real Bogleheads ™ look to grap0013, praise be his username, for all of our emerging markets market timing predictions: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=182107
+1 :)

I bought 25 VWO this morning.
:beer I "went big" with 97 VWO split between two accounts (76 and 21) and 14 VSS. It was just a tiny bit more than necessary to get me back to my baseline. The 21 finished maxing out my wife's Roth for the year (with the odd cents going into VEMAX).

I don't have grap0013's foresight, so I will probably rebalance all the way to his calling the next EM bottom.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

AlohaJoe wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 am
nisiprius wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 am I shall ignore the 110-year-old anecdote about alleged successes of unidentified "old veterans of Wall street" unless you can convince me that those venerable gents in were investing in emerging markets index funds in 1908.
Well, apparently Henry Clews was a British citizen who was investing in the US by the 1850s. I think the US was an emerging market back then, especially from a British perspective :)
All markets were emerging markets until the Securities Act of 1933 in the US got the ball rolling on regulation of markets.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Largest driver of the EM sell off today:

CNYA and MCHI (Chinese equities) are both down over 4% in USD valuation. Other individual country EM equity indices are down less than aggregate EM indices in USD valuation.

TUR (Turkish equities) is up almost 3% in USD valuation

Edit: EZA (South Africa) is down over 5%.

Also thought this was interesting:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/15/techno ... index.html
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Castanea_d.

Post by Castanea_d. »

I hobbled to my computer, cane in hand, and rebalanced into VEMAX on Monday, just in time for EMs to drop some more. Gotta love 'em. :happy
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

The valuations are reaching stupidly low levels again for EM value, but 1, I have large capital gains in them so I’m not going to sell and 2, I’m not going to catch a falling knife needlessly to buy more beyond the current auto 401k purchases
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

jalbert wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 am
AlohaJoe wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 am
All markets were emerging markets until the Securities Act of 1933 in the US got the ball rolling on regulation of markets.
I was going to say the opposite: no markets were emerging markets before 1981, because the term wasn't coined until then. :P

But if he was investing in US bonds, that's pretty impressive, because in 1843, when Charles Dickens wrote "A Christmas Carol," US securities were apparently a byword for unsoundness.
"three days after sight of this First of Exchange pay to Mr. Ebenezer Scrooge or his order,” and so forth, would have become a mere United States’ security if there were no days to count by...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Theoretical wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:17 pm The valuations are reaching stupidly low levels again for EM value, but 1, I have large capital gains in them so I’m not going to sell and 2, I’m not going to catch a falling knife needlessly to buy more beyond the current auto 401k purchases
Where do you get your (current, I hope, updated daily/weekly) valuation information for EM value? Morningstar has data for funds like FNDE but I don't know how often they update each component of the ratios. Is there index level data?
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

munemaker wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:58 am I don't know what this means.

Buy the dip.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

montanagirl wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:32 pm
munemaker wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:58 am I don't know what this means.

Buy the dip.
+1
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

triceratop wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:30 pm
Theoretical wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:17 pm The valuations are reaching stupidly low levels again for EM value, but 1, I have large capital gains in them so I’m not going to sell and 2, I’m not going to catch a falling knife needlessly to buy more beyond the current auto 401k purchases
Where do you get your (current, I hope, updated daily/weekly) valuation information for EM value? Morningstar has data for funds like FNDE but I don't know how often they update each component of the ratios. Is there index level data?
Fidelity has very good info and it’s up to date, using trailing rather than forward metrics on some.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Thanks Theoretical. :beer
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

MJW wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 am
nedsaid wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:11 am So based on this post, am I supposed to buy up Turkish stocks like crazy?
Haven't their stocks already suffered enough? :P
Based upon my experience with the "Nedsaid effect", I am sure they would dive soon after purchase.

Your post reminds me of the old saying that the beatings will continue until morale improves.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

The Economist "The contrarian case for emerging markets"
https://www.economist.com/finance-and-e ... ng-markets
no guarantees!
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

Jeff Albertson wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:19 pm
no guarantees!
FWIW, I’m at my target of 10% EM, so my post was to say that I’m not putting way more into something going down sharply but neither am i liquidating.
Topic Author
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boglewill34

Post by boglewill34 »

Happily, I just increased my automated buys (raises) and will execute a buy of more SFENX today (Schwab emerging). It's been down quite a bit all year thus far.
Topic Author
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

hdas wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:09 pm For ppl that need help with a narrative that the future might be different than present

China Is Overtaking the U.S. in Scientific Research
Thirty years ago in December, the modern exchange of scholars between the U.S. and China began. Since then, Chinese academics have become the most prolific global contributors to publications in physical sciences, engineering and math. Recent attempts by the U.S. to curtail academic collaboration are unlikely to change this trend.
Caveat: Tally should weight quality of research

Link: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... in-science
anecdote: I have yet to read a paper usefully informing my scientific field which has come out of China.

I think this data doesn't contain enough signal to make any kind of tactical allocation, even if I were someone who did things like that.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Jeff Albertson wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:19 pm
no guarantees!
Pretty interesting chart. I may actually buy some EM. Probably need to rebalance anyway. But if I have to guess it will get worse before it gets better.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Looks like they still have plenty of room to plummet.
Topic Author
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Topic Author
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
bgf

Post by bgf »

hdas wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:59 am Managers Positioning

wow, really shows that for whatever reason markets participants' expectations are crashing through the basement floor with respect to emerging markets. i think those expectations are going to improve over the next few years.

good luck.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
Topic Author
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

bgf wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:24 pm
hdas wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:59 am Managers Positioning

wow, really shows that for whatever reason markets participants' expectations are crashing through the basement floor with respect to emerging markets. i think those expectations are going to improve over the next few years.

good luck.
One reason, Tariffs.
Topic Author
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer »

No doubt that hidden debt is a risk for China and we don't know accurately the full extent of the problem.

Having said that it's important to recall that the greatest global debt default crisis since the Great Depression originated right under our blind eyes in the USA with the massive financial collapse of 2007-9. At no time in human history and in no country in the world prior to that were massive mortgages issued to homebuyers without any evidence whatsoever of asset base or income. All it took was a signature to gain access to hundreds of thousands of dollars. The banks that issued these toxic loans then quickly bundled them and sold them to others, both the US government and the financial industry. They were able to market them easily this because the US rating agencies for a juicy fee declared that a bundle of these sub-prime absurd loans was in fact a reliable high grade financial instrument. Then Wall Street saw an opportunity and created massive new derivative products based on the future performance of these underlying assets, hundreds of billions of dollars bet on this for of course more juicy fees. Of course it collapsed completely, but not one high executive in this long chain of profitable lies and misrepresentations went to jail. The result threatened the complete collapse of the worldwide financial system. And yet before it happened the entire US financial media, essentially all investment gurus, and the academic investment community--none of them noticed that anything was wrong. Instead they were typically awash with optimism.

We should keep in mind that China isn't the only place in the world where dodgy financial things are done by those in positions of authority both in government and in the private sector.

Garland Whizzer
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

garlandwhizzer wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:17 pm No doubt that hidden debt is a risk for China and we don't know accurately the full extent of the problem.

Having said that it's important to recall that the greatest global debt default crisis since the Great Depression originated right under our blind eyes in the USA with the massive financial collapse of 2007-9. At no time in human history and in no country in the world prior to that were massive mortgages issued to homebuyers without any evidence whatsoever of asset base or income. All it took was a signature to gain access to hundreds of thousands of dollars. The banks that issued these toxic loans then quickly bundled them and sold them to others, both the US government and the financial industry. They were able to market them easily this because the US rating agencies for a juicy fee declared that a bundle of these sub-prime absurd loans was in fact a reliable high grade financial instrument. Then Wall Street saw an opportunity and created massive new derivative products based on the future performance of these underlying assets, hundreds of billions of dollars bet on this for of course more juicy fees. Of course it collapsed completely, but not one high executive in this long chain of profitable lies and misrepresentations went to jail. The result threatened the complete collapse of the worldwide financial system. And yet before it happened the entire US financial media, essentially all investment gurus, and the academic investment community--none of them noticed that anything was wrong. Instead they were typically awash with optimism.
The CDO and the CDS had been around for a long time. The US mortgage system is founded on the Mortgage Backed Security which dates from the 1940s.

Michael Lewis takes you through the history in The Big Short. There were a couple of innovations in the 2000s that supercharged it. One was a Chinese actuary at a Canadian university (Waterloo) who came up with an application of the Gaussian Copula - the joint probability of default of 2 mortgages. That allowed the Credit Rating Agencies to rate the things.

Actually a number of people were sounding the alarm. Dean Baker at the Economic Policy Institute in particular. Meredith Whitney. There were others. Paul Krugman was talking about the housing bubble (but he points to Dean Baker as the earliest economic commentator to write about it).

And there was Calculated Risk. Both Bill McBride who runs the blog, and the late Tanta who worked in mortgage securitization before she became ill.
We should keep in mind that China isn't the only place in the world where dodgy financial things are done by those in positions of authority both in government and in the private sector.

Garland Whizzer
Oh yes.

I would recommend Daryl Cunningham's graphic book on the Crash

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14197 ... bl_vppi_i3

which is a very interesting deep dive into the history of the underpinnings of the Alan Greenspan's ideology and deregulation.

Also John Quiggin "Zombie Economics"

https://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Economics ... fkmrnull_1

Anne Petifor (she's a very good speaker if you get a chance or find a podcast)

https://www.amazon.com/Coming-First-Wor ... ref=sr_1_2

also called the crisis before it happened - that book is dated 2006.
Topic Author
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Topic Author
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

I have market weight in EM.

Are my canes out or in?
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Does that include Gordon Gekko?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:34 pm Does that include Gordon Gekko?
Gordon would buy on corona virus news
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

watchnerd wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:06 pm
After reading a number of posts on the forum I was wondering at what point I wanted to join Mr. Gekko in that move. So far the answer is not yet.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

watchnerd wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:06 pm
Blue Star Airlines is more attractive!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 am I shall ignore the 110-year-old anecdote about alleged successes of unidentified "old veterans of Wall street" unless you can convince me that those venerable gents were investing in emerging markets index funds in 1908.
Wasn't the U.S. an "emerging market" in 1908? :sharebeer
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

jrbdmb wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:29 pm
nisiprius wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 am I shall ignore the 110-year-old anecdote about alleged successes of unidentified "old veterans of Wall street" unless you can convince me that those venerable gents were investing in emerging markets index funds in 1908.
Wasn't the U.S. an "emerging market" in 1908? :sharebeer
Newly developed, I would say.

It would have recently graduated into the developed index, like South Korea in our time.