Should I pay 6000.00 to repair wife's car....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
aspirit

Re: Should I pay 6000.00 to repair wife's car....

Post by aspirit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:59 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 pm
aspirit wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:30 pm

An auto w/14kmi. on it?
I suspect the dealer see's you as a whale's whale*(metaphor) in a car .......
Good luck!
Do you mean he sees me as a "garage queen" collector?
No, I suspect he see's your posted above outlook as fodder for increasing his dealerships profit margins.
Of course 14k miles adds to his ability to resell this auto also.
'toons' advice above sounds appropriate also.
A 5k repair suggests motor/tranny issues.

Good luck!
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:28 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:05 pm
Hey folks,

You are always very reasonable. I'm not going to go into make/model details until I hear back from the Manufacturer.

Here goes - my wifes car is a 2010 model that she absolutely loves. Beautiful color - exactly everything she wanted and makes her happy to this very day.
- two big issues:
1) 700.00
2) 5000.00

Car is at dealer and I have a case open with the manufacturer (they recommended the dealer to take it to.) The Regional Rep is suppose to call me regarding what they will help me with - they want to make me happy - but so far the Service Mgr told me they rejected item 1.

Both issues need to be addressed.

Car is in perfect condition otherwise - always garaged - never in an accident - looks like it did the day we bought it. And it only has 14K miles on it.

I have the cash and can do it. Sure I could use that 6000 and purchase a new car - I'm not sure the trade in I'll get on my current car with the two issues it has. These issues were not a result of our use. In fact there is a Service bulliten on Item 1 - but the bulliten doesn't cover our year - Service Manager cannot beleive it but his hands are tied. He is also in agreement that these two issues should not have occured and are not from our use. I kick myself because item 1 was always an issue that has got progressively worse - I should of had it fixed under warranty. I regret that.

Going back to buying a new car - tax alone would be close to that figure (I just bought a 40K car and the tax/license was 5k) - not to mention the MSRP (likely minus 5K).

This car can easially last us several more years because otherwise it is perfect - and we are the original owners. She has no commute and in fact is pretty much retired. She may start working - but the work location is fairly close by.

I think I should just fix this and get her back her car. And I should not mention this to her as she would be against me fixing it - but she certainly deserves it - we could probably fix item 1 - but item 2 could come back to bite us.

Thoughts?

Thanks as always.
Maybe 20 years ago we had a Honda Accord. We actually bought the 100k warranty. An issue started before the 100k and was serviced but turned out to be a different more costly issue (maybe couple of thousand? - perhaps catalytic converter). The failure came after 100k.

At first they (dealership)wouldn't pay for it but I raised heck because the problem started before the 100k expiration. They referred me to some regional rep and I complained and raised holy h### and threatened to post bad reviews report it to state lemon law agencies and everything I could think of. Finally they relented and decided to pay for a good chunk of it. We were not on polite terms once it was completed.

I have generally found when you are in the right but are being run around with bureaucracy that persistence pays off. First through polite persistence but eventually aggressive never taking no for an answer. For $5000 they would get my opinion and the dealer service manager, the dealership manager, any applicable regional management would know about it. Let them know about all the applicable review sites you will post bad reviews. Look into any state lemon laws. File a complaint with Honda corporate (where ever they may be) Ultimately it is in their best interest to take care of you if they think you are serious. If they think you will roll over they'd assume keep the $5000.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:50 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 pm
Goodness, a 7-8 year old vehicle with 14,000 miles?

Sell the car, and get her the Uber Ridesharing and/or Lyft Ridesharing APPs.

Her usage is so low, probably even using taxis would save money, considering even with low mileage vehicles must be insured.

Broken Man 1999
right?! this was the first post that made any <insert> sense!

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Good grief, sell it!

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:50 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:

Her usage is so low, probably even using taxis would save money, considering even with low mileage vehicles must be insured.

Broken Man 1999
Depends where you live. Having to wait 20 mins for an Uber/Taxi everytime you want to drive might be enough of an annoyance to override any money savings. Got to admit I can't imagine a door costing 5k to fix.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:47 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm
Good grief, sell it!
Sorry honey - I sold your car - guy named Bob gave me some excellent Internet advice.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:48 pm

randomguy wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 pm
PFInterest wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:50 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:

Broken Man 1999
Depends where you live. Having to wait 20 mins for an Uber/Taxi everytime you want to drive might be enough of an annoyance to override any money savings. Got to admit I can't imagine a door costing 5k to fix.
Yep - doesn't work here - and we like our cars.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 pm

JBTX wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Maybe 20 years ago we had a Honda Accord. We actually bought the 100k warranty. An issue started before the 100k and was serviced but turned out to be a different more costly issue (maybe couple of thousand? - perhaps catalytic converter). The failure came after 100k.

At first they (dealership)wouldn't pay for it but I raised heck because the problem started before the 100k expiration. They referred me to some regional rep and I complained and raised holy h### and threatened to post bad reviews report it to state lemon law agencies and everything I could think of. Finally they relented and decided to pay for a good chunk of it. We were not on polite terms once it was completed.

I have generally found when you are in the right but are being run around with bureaucracy that persistence pays off. First through polite persistence but eventually aggressive never taking no for an answer. For $5000 they would get my opinion and the dealer service manager, the dealership manager, any applicable regional management would know about it. Let them know about all the applicable review sites you will post bad reviews. Look into any state lemon laws. File a complaint with Honda corporate (where ever they may be) Ultimately it is in their best interest to take care of you if they think you are serious. If they think you will roll over they'd assume keep the $5000.
Yeah - I've played the hardas% before and it has worked out. I think I'm going to just have to get mid-evil on them.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:52 pm

aspirit wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:59 pm
rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 pm
aspirit wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:30 pm

An auto w/14kmi. on it?
I suspect the dealer see's you as a whale's whale*(metaphor) in a car .......
Good luck!
Do you mean he sees me as a "garage queen" collector?
No, I suspect he see's your posted above outlook as fodder for increasing his dealerships profit margins.
Of course 14k miles adds to his ability to resell this auto also.
'toons' advice above sounds appropriate also.
A 5k repair suggests motor/tranny issues.

Good luck!
Thanks. And Toons - thanks as well.

Yeah way too much - the kind of work being done - is insurance crash type work - who ever pays for that out of pocket?

My plan is to have the local guy fix the strap as best he can.

Of course VW called at the one time I was out today - so second day I've missed their call.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:57 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:47 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm
Good grief, sell it!
Sorry honey - I sold your car - guy named Bob gave me some excellent Internet advice.
LOL! What's the worst that could happen?

Seriously though, good luck!

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 pm

You need a referral to a good mom and pop body shop who will do this for a fraction of the price. The dealer is not where you want to be.

Edit: I see this is a VW. Maybe we should merge this with the, "Should I buy an Audit A4" thread. :twisted:

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:12 pm

ClevrChico wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 pm
You need a referral to a good mom and pop body shop who will do this for a fraction of the price. The dealer is not where you want to be.

Edit: I see this is a VW. Maybe we should merge this with the, "Should I buy an Audit A4" thread. :twisted:
Thanks - yeah I found a shop here that will take a look - fabricate something.

As my dad used to say:

Where there's a way - there's a William.

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:15 pm

What a great thread.

I hate to suggest you spend money but I think you should sell the car (fully disclose the issues) and lease a Fiat 500 for her.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/18351/the- ... goes-turbo

Auto technology is changing rapidly so leasing makes a bit of sense. Really best to buy a used car and drive it for 10 years, but you love your wife and she obviously loves fun cars. :beer

Post by 123 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 pm

ClevrChico wrote:

+1 You should get an estimate from an independent local "bug" shop/mechanic. To me neither of these issues are the expensive showstoppers that the dealer repair strategy seems to imply. You could very well be shocked by a quick and comparatively inexpensive remedy that a local mechanic could provide. In bringing it in to a local mechanic you shouldn't mention the fact that you were considering a $6000 dealer repair suggestion, you would lose all creditability
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:43 am

ClevrChico wrote:

Agreed. In fact, often a dealer will farm out specialty work such as paint and body work to a specialty shop and then charge you their customary dealer markup.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:06 am

Take into account how much vehicles have improved since 2010 and how much more fun and safer they are to drive.

I traded in my 2006 Honda Element (that I loved) for a 2017 Hyundai Elantra last November, for which I paid in the low $20Ks new before trade-in.

It has Android Auto, backup camera, lane assist, collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control, traction control, heated seats, tire pressure monitoring, etc etc...for just over $20K it almost drives itself. And it gets well over 40 mpg on the highway.- a fill-up gets me 450-500 miles (vs. 300 if I was lucky in my Element).

What are the chances of her loving her new car more than her old one?

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:17 am

Do not sell the car! It's already depreciated and is not that old and low mileage. Raise hell to have them fix it. Call/write VW and explain your issues in detail. Selling it and getting a new car is not economical. I would go on the VW forums and see if others are having the issue.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdispla ... The-Beetle

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 am

I understand your wife's feelings. I have a 1969 Mustang that's a money pit. I think we would both be better off getting rid of these cars, because both of them are always going to be money pits.

I also have a Buick that had a problem that the manufacturer knew about but I didn't until the time to fix it expired. I never got a dime for an expensive repair, so I wouldn't hold your breath expecting VW to man up.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:17 am
Do not sell the car! It's already depreciated and is not that old and low mileage. Raise hell to have them fix it. Call/write VW and explain your issues in detail. Selling it and getting a new car is not economical. I would go on the VW forums and see if others are having the issue.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdispla ... The-Beetle
Of course it's not "economical" to buy a new car vs. keep an old one, but the manufacturer has decided whether to fix this or not already, based on the facts and its inclination. The OP has already pursued the issue in detail with the manufacture and is awaiting its response. Regardless of the outcome, "raising hell" is the wrong approach.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:02 am

Put in a cheap fix and trade the car in (do not sell to private party) on something way safer and more reliable. I would not let my wife drive that car under any circumstances.

The issue with the door hardware failing is not just a mechanical failure it could also be an extreme safety issue in case of an impact accident. In an accident a bad faulty door can fly open and back closed in 1/100 of a second with tremendous force and possibly crush or even amputate whatever limb (or head) happens to be in its way at that moment of the accident. And any kind of jury-rigged fix would likely not be safe.

Convertibles are inherently less safe in an accident than hardtops(especially in a rollover), but in any car the integrity of the door structure and associated hardware is critical in any kind of accident because it is designed to work with the rest of the car's frame and structure to preserve the driver and passenger crush space.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:06 am

An update on the stop straps.

I was putting stuff into my 2014 Wrangler and realized that it has straps similar to Factory Five, but instead of thick leather, they sort of a nylon mesh. So you can likely go to your local Jeep dealer and buy a set. Maybe look in the showroom at a Wrangler to see how they are installed.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:19 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 am
Of course it's not "economical" to buy a new car vs. keep an old one, but the manufacturer has decided whether to fix this or not already, based on the facts and its inclination. The OP has already pursued the issue in detail with the manufacture and is awaiting its response. Regardless of the outcome, "raising hell" is the wrong approach.
It is a manufacturer's defect, nothing that the OP did to the car as far as we know. I don't think OP should eat the loss just because it's out of warranty. In many cases the manufacturer will pay for part or all of the repair if it is a defect. By raising hell, I mean complaining (fairly politely) until it gets fixed or contacting a lawyer. Starting a topic on the VW Beetle forum would certainly get more relevant feedback for that year's model for info on a recall or class action lawsuit.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:41 am

My advice is to sell it. On another note, this is one of the more bizarre threads I've read. I felt like I was in suspense trying to understand what was going on the entire time.

redbeard25

Post by redbeard25 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:10 am

Wow...14k is nothing for a 2010!
VW Dealerships or dealerships in general will rip you off, finding a good mechanic can be challenging.
VW have a ok resale value, but I'd fix it. Sister has a 2010 jetta no issues with 140k on it. Turbo's can be issues down the road...that's $$$ older models though have the 2.5l engine so they've been ok.
I'd fix it if $$ isn't the problem

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:17 am

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:50 pm
chevca wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:45 pm
What are the issues... why so secretive? If it's a safety concern, probably not worth fixing. Otherwise, $6k is certainly less than any new car out there. If it's her baby and she loves it, and with low miles like that, get the issues fixed and move on with life.
Here are the issues:
1) Ignition key sticks on locking mech. Very scary- you have to wiggle the key/steering wheel exactly right to allow it to turn. My key will not even turn. Could really leave you high and dry (we are in Az)
2) Door check strap broke due to thin metal on door where hidge attached. With it broken the door can swing completely into front 1/4 panel. You have to be very conscience of it when you open the door (not let go - check for wind) - especially in our driveway which is a steep downward slope. I'd be bummed if I forgot and it swung and ripped into the 1/4 panel.

Yep - will get fixed and move on.

Thanks.
$6k for those repairs? lol no

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:47 am

unclear why post 1 'hides' what the make and model of the vehicle is.

Also unclear what the two issues are as it wasn't in post 1. Without that info, any replies are moot.

If its in one of the 70 other posts....sorry, should be in post 1. Not reading 70 posts to find that info.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:06 am

Sell the car - it is a serious enough safety issue and not worth paying 6k or a DIY solution from youtube or a temporary fix from a cheap mechanic/bodyshop.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:49 am

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:52 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:49 pm
rebellovw - Can you please supply the make and model of the car? Otherwise, there's not much to go on and we can't help you further.
Sure - why not.

2010 VW New Beetle Convertible.
I’m not surprised that it’s a VW. We were a VW household for a long time until one 1990 Passat made us swear off them for good. VW is a disreputable company. We had 8 VW manufactured cars from a 1973 Bug to several new Jettas and Audi’s. After our experience with the Passat, we gave up. We thought that the constant repairs and problems were normal, until we started with Toyota’s.
We bought the Passat as a used car with 60,000 miles. We had numerous problems with fuel pumps, etc. At 90,000 miles we needed a transmission. During the repair process, we found out that VW replaced the transmission at 50,000 miles with a NEW transmission, not a rebuilt. VW clearly knew that there were problems with these transmissions, but offered nothing to help and the work was being done at a VW dealer. This was about 1997, so all I could do was write and call VW management. I explained our loyalty. Nothing was offered. I told them that I would NEVER buy a VW product again and that I would tell everyone I know to do the same. Do that’s what I’m doing here.