Piano Tuning - Cost and Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DesertDiva

Piano Tuning - Cost and Recommendations

Post by DesertDiva » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:57 pm

I need to get a piano tuned. How much can I expect to pay? Does anyone have suggestions on how to find a tuner or what to ask them?
This is new territory for me. Thanks for your help.
♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫

jalbert

Re: Piano Tuning - Cost and Recommendations

Post by jalbert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:02 pm

What brand and type piano? How long since it was last tuned?
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:05 pm

jalbert wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:02 pm
What brand and type piano? How long since it was last tuned?
Yamaha upright piano - unsure of last tuning. My guess is over 10 years ago.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Ask your music teacher or other folks with pianos (churches?, schools?) in your area. I'm thinking we pay about $75, but will confirm later. They should fix sticky keys, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

blastoff

Post by blastoff » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:26 pm

If University, could ask music school too.

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:30 pm

It may need more than one tuning to get it in tune given how long since it was tuned. A basic tuning in our area is $90-95. Tuning and servicing by a certified piano technician would be $125-140, likely worth the extra cost for a Yamaha upright, at least for the current servicing needs.

If it requires multiple tunings to get it in tune, it could cost $150-250. Pianos should be tuned at least annually whether or not played. In extreme but not very common cases, they can degrade to the point of needing new strings to bring them into tune if allowed to sit untuned for too long.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 pm

The cost varies by market, but figure $100-$200 for a basic tuning. Your piano hasn't been tuned in a while, so it may need what they call a pitch raise, which is, roughly, an initial rough tuning as preparation for a basic tuning. This usually costs a little bit more as it takes more of the technician's time. How much more it is depends on the market and the shape the piano is in, but figure another 25-50%. $150-$200. Fixing sticky or squeaky keys is usually including with the basic service (assuming it's just some squeaky bushings and nothing major, which it is most of the time.) If the piano needs other repairs (broken keys, etc) , you'll have to discuss the cost with the tech.

You'll probably then want another tuning in about six months to stabilize the tuning as the strings and soundboard adapt to your climate, and then, if your climate is stable, once a year. (Twice if your ear is really picky.) Yamaha has a wonderful reputation so if the piano has been reasonably well treated, it should respond well to a tuning.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 pm

I pay $140 for tuning by my CPT twice a year for my 9ft2 Schimmel grand.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:18 am

Great idea to get your piano tuned.

I’m a professional musician, I also have a Yamaha studio upright, and pay $100-150 per tuning, usually every 12-18 months.

The more regularly you tune it, the better it will be. Keep it away from heat vents, windows, and exterior walls if you can.

I agree that you call a local university (that has a music department) or a large church or synagogue for a reference. Music department administrative assistants are used to getting such requests.

My recommendation came from a fellow musician who has perfect pitch, and I’m very pleased. (Good enough for her is good enough for me!)

Piano technicians are a special breed.

Let us know how it worked out.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 am

Check the Piano Technicians Guild to find a tuner/technician near you: http://www.ptg.org/
Using a registered piano technician might be the first step.
As my user name suggests, I normally tune my own piano. However, if I don't have the time or patience the cost ranges from $85-$150 depending on which tech I use.
A technician will be able to do more than just a tuning, should your piano need it.
I get our church piano tuned twice a year, usually before Advent and Easter.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:43 pm

Jazztonight wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:18 am

I’m a professional musician, I also have a Yamaha studio upright, and pay $100-150 per tuning, usually every 12-18 months.

The more regularly you tune it, the better it will be. Keep it away from heat vents, windows, and exterior walls if you can.

I agree that you call a local university (that has a music department) or a large church or synagogue for a reference. Music department administrative assistants are used to getting such requests.

My recommendation came from a fellow musician who has perfect pitch, and I’m very pleased. (Good enough for her is good enough for me!)

Well here's how it worked out: I took A440's suggestion and found a tuner on the ptg.org website. He tunes pianos for many local churches and concert venues. I paid $150 and the job was finished in about 2 hours. My piano sounds fabulous now!

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:22 am

DesertDiva wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:43 pm
Jazztonight wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:18 am

Well here's how it worked out: I took A440's suggestion and found a tuner on the ptg.org website. He tunes pianos for many local churches and concert venues. I paid $150 and the job was finished in about 2 hours. My piano sounds fabulous now!
I'm really glad to hear this good news. Enjoy your piano!
Here's a link to Dave Frank jazz. He has many wonderful jazz piano youtube videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey-YWlT1Gc8
I've learned a lot from his videos.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche