Best way to send flowers out of town

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
island

Best way to send flowers out of town

Post by island » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi all
What’s the best way to send fresh flowers to someone who lives out of town?
Contact a local florist there to make a delivery or contact FTD or another company.
Any recommendations.?

Thanks

GoldStar

Re: Best way to send flowers out of town

Post by GoldStar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:12 pm

Look at reviews of local florists and call them direct.
If you use ftd.com you might get the worse florist in town (happened to me 3 times before I learned).

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:37 pm

I’ve always called a florist in that city where it’s being delivered.
Gill

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:39 pm

If it's a surprise and you can't ask the person their favorite florist, look at a map of florists near their address and check out the websites to see if they have stylish stuff.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:39 pm

I have not used them, but when exploring this recently I thought Costco.com had great prices. The problem with many sites is the flowers are X. Seems very reasonable. Then the extras start getting added on sometimes doubling the price. Costco stands behind what they sell.

island

Post by island » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Appreciate the replies. I've always called florists in the town directly and sounds like I should continue to do the same.
Thanks!

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:08 pm

If you use an online service, use a cashback portal. They offer pretty good amounts off.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:44 pm

For Mother's Day, I used Instacart. Had them pick up flowers from Whole Foods and deliver them to my mom. Avoided the usual jacked up prices.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:45 am

www.thebouqs.com is my favorite.

They have a wide selection of unique flowers at great prices, many with free delivery.

For the money the bouquets are large and impressive.

I often get photos from the recipient. What better way to know that your recipient was delighted than when they share a picture?

Most offerings come in three sizes. This bouquet was the largest of the three available for this particular bouquet, and the recipient put into three vases so she was able to enjoy one bouquet in multiple rooms. \\

The smallest of the three choices for a given bouquet is always ample.

Last edited by Trism on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:05 am

After a string of bad luck and poor service, we've reverted back to mostly calling a local florist and purchasing by phone. No more ftd.com or the other services. No middle-man who doesn't know local supply. Plus we have an immediate contact if there are delivery issues. It's been working out much better for us lately, both for sending to very small rural communities and bigger city stuff. I'm sure it will improve in time (eventually.....), but this is one rare area where I don't like the level of internet-based service.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:09 am

I guess I don't' understand how using a local florist will ensure they are a good florist.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:19 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:09 am
I guess I don't' understand how using a local florist will ensure they are a good florist.
Simple by doing one or more of 3 things - checking (skeptically of course) online reviews, call somebody local and see who they use (the best choice, if I have the time), probe the florist for attentiveness, concern and knowledge of stock during the ordering phone call. I can get this sniff test done on a local florist in 2 minutes. Never failed me yet. Far less time than getting resolution from FTD.com on an issue, in my experience.

Uniballer

Post by Uniballer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:21 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
It doesn't. But the "order collectors", e.g. FTD, Teleflora, 1-800-Flowers, and the newer internet services take a pretty big chunk of the money. Calling a local florist directly allows them to provide good value for your money while still making a reasonable profit.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:29 am

DetroitRick wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:19 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Simple by doing one or more of 3 things - checking (skeptically of course) online reviews, call somebody local and see who they use (the best choice, if I have the time), probe the florist for attentiveness, concern and knowledge of stock during the ordering phone call. I can get this sniff test done on a local florist in 2 minutes. Never failed me yet. Far less time than getting resolution from FTD.com on an issue, in my experience.
I get that, but that part was left out of some of these posts. I wouldn't just randomly pick a local florist.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:29 am
I wouldn't just randomly pick a local florist.
Isnt that what you get when you order through FTD, etc?

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:42 am

I've had even worse luck with FTD. Some customers say that FTD stands for "Failed to Deliver," and this happened to me on two consecutive Mothers Days. After the second incident, never again. I've had good luck with the websites of researched, local florists, in addition to calling them direct.
GoldStar wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:12 pm
If you use ftd.com you might get the worse florist in town (happened to me 3 times before I learned).

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:57 am

CardinalRule wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:42 am
I've had even worse luck with FTD. Some customers say that FTD stands for "Failed to Deliver," and this happened to me on two consecutive Mothers Days. After the second incident, never again. I've had good luck with the websites of researched, local florists, in addition to calling them direct.
GoldStar wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:12 pm
Yup - "Failed to Deliver" is exactly what I experienced the last time I used FTD. I missed my Mother's birthday for the first time in 30 years thanks to them - will never use FTD again. Even after I complained by phone and then in writing they did absolutely nothing to try to win me back (other than finally deliver the same flowers I ordered and was charged full price for several days late - no discount, no refund, no upgraded size, no offer of "next time on us" - nothing). Other outfits (teraflora, Proflowers, 1800flowers, etc.) at least have a reputation (and I've had some experience) of making up for a poor quality experience or a missed delivery - but FTD didn't care at all.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:03 am

obgraham wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
I think the problem with FTD is likely even worse than you getting a "Random" florist. Around big flower-days (Mother's Day, Valentines Day, ...) I'm guessing you are left with the worse florists in the area as they are the only ones available to take on the orders.
Read online reviews and pick your own local florist. Use a credit-card to assure you have protection in case a problem occurs.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:46 am

obgraham wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Yes. I've heard a lot of bad things about FTD. I would read online reviews if there was no one local I could ask or I mentioned using Costco. I've always found they stand behind what they sell.

Immafreak

Post by Immafreak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:48 pm

I am a florist and I would recommend that you call a local florist directly. Start by putting the delivery address in google maps and then search nearby "florist". Choose a nearby florist that has good reviews and give them a call or order online.

Ordering through FTD, Teleflora, 1800 flowers, Avas, etc may be convenient but you still pay for it. They take 30% of the order and that is not including the monthly fees associated to be part of the service. You don't know which florist ends up getting the order and if the flowers are bad, you have to go through a 3rd party to resolve them. Florist don't make much from those wire services so they tend to use cheaper flowers or older flowers. My biggest issues with them is that the pictures are not accurate because they are photo-shopped. Ordering directly with a florist, they will often give you better customer service because you are a real customer to them and use better and fresher flowers. If something goes wrong you know who to blame. I'm not saying that all local florist are good, so you have to look at their reviews. Florist with good reviews will often take care of your order better (priority delivery, better product, better service, etc)

annebert

Post by annebert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:23 pm

I agree that using a local florist is better. In my case I was usually sending flowers back to my hometown, so I knew who to call!! I think the local flowers movement is a good possibility, too. Check out Local Flowers http://discus.vps.ascfg.org/buyers_guid ... signer.php
as a way to identify designers who use locally grown flowers (and maybe grow them themselves!).

Student2

Post by Student2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:44 pm

I've had terrific service from Flower Muse (http://www.flowermuse.com). It's been a little while since I've used them, but they've provided me (and my recipients) with fantastic bouquets. They are similar to The Bouqs (https://bouqs.com). I've used them too but have more experience with FlowerMuse).