Response from boss re: market analysis

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
RobLyons

Response from boss re: market analysis

Post by RobLyons » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:48 am

I took a couple hours of my own time yesterday to compose a professional request for an evaluation at my company for a market adjustment for my department. Background info is this is my part time job, full time job has had 3 market adjustments in the past 6 years while this job has offered 0. Generally part time positions are paid higher than full time since no benefits are offered. This company doesn't offer a higher rate, and the pay is now significantly less than the market, where it was once slightly higher than all others. I stay because it's close to home and less stress than full time job.

HR indicated the "chain of command" is for my level employee to contact direct manager who brings proposal to VP. Then VP discusses with another committee before a decision is made. So instead of just calling/texting or talking to said manager, a full business professional proposal was made. Response from manager was: "(The company) does not offer market adjustments. I have paid you an extra XX. If that is not enough, perhaps you should reconsider your position."

While it's true I have received a small additional incentive on 2-3 paychecks, this was a proposal for not just me but the entire department.
The response does not match the level of professionalism I expect at work. I'm divided on how to handle this, but think it would be good to clarify with HR if the company does in fact conduct market adjustments?

Feedback? Next steps? Take the manager up on their offer? I do need some extra income at this time, but overtime is almost always offered at my full time job, so the money could easily be made up with less time worked.

Thanks for reading =)
Last edited by RobLyons on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

J295

Re: Rude response from boss re: market adjustment

Post by J295 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:52 am

I was never part of an organization with this type of hierarchy. However, the response seems clear. If this person is the decision-maker and my direct report/boss, I would conclude that I have a clear answer and stand down on further dialogue.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:55 am

J295 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:52 am
I was never part of an organization with this type of hierarchy. However, the response seems clear. If this person is the decision-maker and my direct report/boss, I would conclude that I have a clear answer and stand down on further dialogue.
Exactly!

next step = stay at current pay or leave for better pay

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:57 am

Some jobs give an annual raise and some the salary seems to be set in stone. You planted the seed. Give them some time or like the guy said, look elsewhere.

basspond

Post by basspond » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:02 am

How long have you been in this part time position? Unless you want to stay part time then don’t rock the boat, if not find out what you can do to get the added benefit of full time. Business climates change.

uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:04 am

You should always be looking elsewhere. The day you join your next position, start looking for a better one. Essence of an employed position- you always think you are getting paid too little, your boss always thinks they are paying too much.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:05 am

go_mets wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:55 am
J295 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:52 am
Exactly!

next step = stay at current pay or leave for better pay
+1

I had to give notice at one company before they were interested, after years of requests. I still left.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:08 am

RobLyons wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:48 am
I took a couple hours of my own time yesterday to compose a professional request for an evaluation at my company for a market adjustment for my department. Background info is this is my part time job, full time job has had 3 market adjustments in the past 6 years while this job has offered 0. Generally part time positions are paid higher than full time since no benefits are offered. This company doesn't offer a higher rate, and the pay is now significantly less than the market, where it was once slightly higher than all others. I stay because it's close to home and less stress than full time job.

HR indicated the "chain of command" is for my level employee to contact direct manager who brings proposal to VP. Then VP discusses with another committee before a decision is made. So instead of just calling/texting or talking to said manager, a full business professional proposal was made. Response from manager was: "(The company) does not offer market adjustments. I have paid you an extra XX. If that is not enough, perhaps you should reconsider your position."

While it's true I have received a small additional incentive on 2-3 paychecks, this was a proposal for not just me but the entire department.
The response does not match the level of professionalism I expect at work. I'm divided on how to handle this, but think it would be good to clarify with HR if the company does in fact conduct market adjustments?

Feedback? Next steps? Take the manager up on their offer? I do need some extra income at this time, but overtime is almost always offered at my full time job, so the money could easily be made up with less time worked.

Thanks for reading =)
How was this proposal made - in person or did you send him a document in writing?

How did you find out the "H/R process for obtaining market adjustments"? Can you bring up how you know this without angering your boss? Tread really carefully here!

Why not sit with him/her and explain what you said above.

1. Proposal was not just related to you, but the entire department.

2. You are worried about people leaving because the current rate of pay for these positions has overtime become significantly below market. Be prepared to offer some kind of support for this statement.

Make the discussion non-confrontational. You are just trying to make sure pay is fair given market environment.

Good luck.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:14 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:08 am
RobLyons wrote:

Thanks for reading =)
How was this proposal made - in person or did you send him a document in writing?

How did you find out the "H/R process for obtaining market adjustments"? Can you bring up how you know this without angering your boss? Tread really carefully here!

Why not sit with him/her and explain what you said above.

1. Proposal was not just related to you, but the entire department.

2. You are worried about people leaving because the current rate of pay for these positions has overtime become significantly below market. Be prepared to offer some kind of support for this statement.

Make the discussion non-confrontational. You are just trying to make sure pay is fair given market environment.

Good luck.
This is not good advice. You have your answer already. Your boss will not advocate for more money for you, a required step in this. Furthering the issue will get you nowhere. Go get another job.

imfocusedman

Post by imfocusedman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:14 am

What about this response do you consider rude? Seems as though you got a very clear and direct response to your request. Would the non-rude response have been if they said yes? As others have said, you got your answer and your choices are clear.

My experience with these types of things usually ended up in some murky “wait and see” situation that left me feeling more lost than when it began. Glad you were able to get some clarity!

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:19 am

Companies generally don't offer raises at all unless they lose people. I've mentioned before that my last employer went 10 years without reviews or raises. The number of people lost was acceptable to them so they chose to be as cheap as they possibly could. Their risk? Well, the entire mechanical engineering group left en masse, leaving the director of the group scrambling trying to hire while his team of zero did nothing, leaving all of the critical projects to him. Ironically, they did not increase the salaries for new mechanical engineers....they simply hired new college grads who honestly didn't know what working as an engineer even was.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:20 am

imfocusedman wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:14 am
What about this response do you consider rude? Seems as though you got a very clear and direct response to your request. Would the non-rude response have been if they said yes? As others have said, you got your answer and your choices are clear.

My experience with these types of things usually ended up in some murky “wait and see” situation that left me feeling more lost than when it began. Glad you were able to get some clarity!

I guess perception is different for all. I felt the "reconsider your position" part was unnecessary. I can accept a "no" answer. I can also accept "the company doesn't do that". From all metrics, I've been an excellent employee, and well liked by this manager. Although the manager does have a history of ruffling feathers, never directed towards me. But I like your take on it.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:25 am

Fact of life... Bosses are allowed to be rude. Subordinates aren't. Learn to live with it.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:26 am

If the company thought they had an attrition or staffing problem they would compensate accordingly. They gave you a pretty clear response they don't see a problem. Perhaps you see a lot of attrition but management feels its manageable and they are willing to accept more frequent turnover.

Once you make a request like this in the way you did it you pretty much have to follow it through to conclusion otherwise you end up looking like a chump. I would have come in with another offer or in your situation told them you needed more compensation to justify a part time gig (maybe you have family you could be spending more time with). If you really want and need the second job you've put yourself in a box. You also self-appointed yourself as the representative for others in the department by asking for market adjustment raises for everyone. You've made it personal and are injecting emotion into a business decision by using terms like rude and unprofessional. Start looking for another job.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:32 am

I suspect the formality of your proposal made it worse. An informal conversation may have gone better but he still would have said no.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:35 am

I agree that the last bit was a bit rude. I wonder what might have prompted that last bit? Once you figure that out, then you know where you stand.

Personally, the only reason I would have added that last bit is if this wasn't the first time the topic had come up and I was tired of dealing with the whining. Maybe you aren't the first one to bring this up.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:00 am

This is pretty close to a "You're FIRED!" e-mail. Act accordingly.

Maybe even the manager hasn't had a raise in compensation in a few years and is pissed, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 am

I had a sort of similar experience back in my mid 20s, first full time engineering job.

After being told by my manager that I should expect a larger pay raise "next year" I was fine waiting. Next year rolls around and no review...until 3 months after it was supposed to happen.

So we finally sit down and I get a tiny raise. When I bring up the prior conversation my manager claimed he didn't recall that conversation and I get a song and dance about how tight things are. I did voice my disappointment and he suggested I talk with the GM (very small company) if I wanted to.

I did. And he offered me another $200 a year on my 34k or so salary. Easy to read between the lines.

I started my job search and left less than a year later.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 am

I'd look for a new job.

The best way to ask for a raise is to have a better option in hand already.

It's the only way to have leverage.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 am

RobLyons wrote:

Thanks for reading =)
Sounds pretty clear to me. Either accept the pay or walk. Talking more about it is not an option. Personally, I see this as a win. You have gotten them to tip their hand. The unfortunate thing for you is you know what their hand is and that is NOT to consider increasing pay. I don't blame them. I wouldn't offer any more money then I needed to UNLESS it was a vital member of the team who was leaving to take another job. Reality is most folks are replaceable. It hurts to hear, but true. 2008 sort of showed many companies that they can do just fine with less warm bodies and keep their profit margins just fine.

At this point it is more about what you will do: Either accept being underpaid or walk. Either way it is a part time gig so you are in great position.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:05 am

You got a response that says your manager doesn't care if you leave. I think this is called the handwriting on the wall. and, yes, it is rude.

I would send out my resume and plan to leave when I found a better situation, or at least be prepared with opportunities if they let you go before you find something better.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 am

darrvao777 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 am
I'd look for a new job.

The best way is to take the other job. If you blackmail them into giving you a raise it will only last until they're able to find a replacement for you. And then you'll wish you took the other job.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 am
darrvao777 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 am
I'd look for a new job.

The best way is to take the other job. If you blackmail them into giving you a raise it will only last until they're able to find a replacement for you. And then you'll wish you took the other job.
+1. Yes indeed.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:26 am

I have never heard of a market adjustment. Is this a raise? In my last job, an upward change in salary was due to performance, not market.

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:50 am

I was a manager at a megacorp and one of my peers gave a very similar response to one of his staff who wanted a raise. We discussed this in our staff meeting after the fact. The background was;
1) The company was going through a downturn and money was tight. Nobody was getting raises.
2) The employee was productive but viewed as "high maintenance." He was forever complaining to his management and peers about his salary, his title, and the fact that in his view he was being paid less for doing more work than other people. Management's view was that he was good, but not nearly as good as he thought he was. He was also viewed as disruptive. Management was spending time calming down people in other departments that he had angered with some of his comments.

The bottom line was that the management team felt he could easily be replaced at the same or lower salary and none of us felt that the projects we had going on would be greatly hurt if he left. He was repeatedly given the typical, polite management response that implied he would eventually get a raise when conditions improved, but he kept complaining loudly, was a time sink, and was hurting morale of others. He had been repeatedly told in performance reviews that his work was good but his interactions with others and teamwork skills were holding him back. He didn't seem to understand that message. His manager finally got frustrated and told him that if he thought he was so good, he should find another job with a different company that would pay him what he thought he was worth. He left 6 months later and we replaced him with someone who was a better team player.

I can't tell from your post if you've got something going on with your manager that is prompting this kind of response. However, since you're part time, you really don't have much leverage to get more money except by voting with your feet and finding a different job.
Lorne

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:54 am

Market means that they survey the local market for competitors and benchmark your pay against substantially equivalents.

If you're under they may do a market adjustment up; most companies won't go the other direction.

Merit adjustments are for good performance and many are on some type of scale.

There are also other ways to compete for employees other than pay. You can have better benefits, more PTO, flexibility, retirement etc. etc. I'm often put in the position where my manager's want to pay more because they "need to get this person". I don't often agree and because we are in a dominant market position, offer substantial security, it's a great place to work AND excellent benefits I rarely feel the need to compete on pay.

It's a tough situation.

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 am

Why on earth are you trying to make a proposal of market adjustment for the entire department instead of focusing on your salary and asking for a raise based on market and your value to the company.

It's exceedingly rare/impossible for a company to randomly increase the salary of a department to market conditions based on a employee sending in information saying they are underpaid. Why would they since people tend to stay around?

I wouldn't be that interested in negotiating this either as you are almost trying to represent the department as a union.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 am

You made a proposal for a salary increase for your entire department as a part time employee :shock: Its not very surprising that it was turned down.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:04 am

I'm surprised no one has asked about the nature of your two-job setup. You have a full time job, and a part time job. Are they both professional jobs? Office jobs? Is your part-time job remote? You mention it being close to home, so it must not be.

The dynamics of your two-job setup may be a big factor in the situation. Your boss may be thinking "this guy works here part-time, we're his secondary focus, and he is asking for a raise for the entire department?!?!?!"

stats99

Post by stats99 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:16 am

Employer may have considered it "rude" for a part-timer to suggest to them how to run their business?

jminv

Post by jminv » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 am

RobLyons wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:20 am

I guess perception is different for all. I felt the "reconsider your position" part was unnecessary. I can accept a "no" answer. I can also accept "the company doesn't do that".
By saying you should reconsider your position at the company, he’s telling you no way ever will you get a raise so you won’t ask again but I’d view that positively since he was honest about it never going to change which means you can search for a different gig and move on for better things. What he said can and should set you looking for other work while if he wasn’t so definitive you might think at some point you’d get a raise and so stay on but would be wrong. The worst is honestly when you are strung along with ‘not this year, maybe next, maybe when the company is doing better’ etc etc. Company should be honest to its workers and a worker should use that honesty to evaluate whether or not they want to stay.

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:28 am

RobLyons wrote:

Thanks for reading =)
It seems a disconnect between you and boss re does the company even offer such market adjustments. If you wish to have further discussion, you might start there

"(The company) does not offer market adjustments. I have paid you an extra XX. If that is not enough, perhaps you should reconsider your position."

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 am

I'm actually surprised that the HR department put this on you, unless it was a personal request for you. But you said it was for the department.

The way this works in company's where I've been employed is:
1. Make a request to HR to do a market survey.
2. HR goes to management with the request and it's accepted/denied. Larger companies already have this data, as they usually subscribe to companies who specialize in gathering this sort of data for local markets.
3. If accepted, the HR does the market survey, if the data isn't already available.
4. Market comps are/are not granted based on the survey.

For individuals, it's usually
1. Go to boss and ask for a raise OR
2. Get an offer elsewhere and resign. Decide what to do if counteroffered.

Is it possible that HR didn't understand that the request was for your department when you first went to them?

Cheers

bligh

Post by bligh » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:06 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:25 am
Fact of life... Bosses are allowed to be rude. Subordinates aren't. Learn to live with it.
In practice, you are right. However I disagree with this state of affairs. I had left a job early in my career because a boss (I didn't report to him, but he was part of the senior management of the company) was rude to me. Now that I am much older, much more financially secure, and well credentialed and established in my field, there is no question I would not stand for such an interaction. I am fortunate that I am in a field that has plenty of jobs available, I am confident enough in the quality of my work that I know I can always get another job if I like. It may pay me more or less. It may be a longer or shorter commute.

To me there is only one response to the what the Manager told the OP (Assuming he is in a high skill, high pay type of profession). Start looking for another job.
The Manager wasn't rude enough to give an immediate resignation, but it is essentially an invitation to look elsewhere. Take it. Quite literally the interaction was:

OP: "I think I deserve more money".
Manager: "If you think you deserve more money, then reconsider your position here"

Assuming the OP really thinks he deserves more money, there is only one correct answer to that question.
OP: "Okay, I will."

What does reconsidering your position there entail? It means evaluating if you want to continue working there. It means looking at alternative employment. It's a part time job and the OP already holds a full time position. How much is really at stake for him? I, personally, wouldn't WANT to continue working for a boss that talks to me like that even if I *did* get the raise.

DJP1944

Post by DJP1944 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 pm

OP: "I think I deserve more money".
Manager: "If you think you deserve more money, then reconsider your position here"

Assuming the OP really thinks he deserves more money, there is only one correct answer to that question.
OP: "Okay, I will."

100% agree.

It appears that the manager could have been more polite, but at least he also seemed honest and gave you an actionable response. That's better than the wishy washy "let me see what I can do" that goes nowhere.

youdiditr2

Post by youdiditr2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:16 pm

This is how it works at my company. Have to get approved by committee. Manager had no power by to recommend. At one point, during the financial crisis, any raise had to get approved by CEO and we had 10k employees at the time.

Time to move on if you're unhappy. You got a clear answer. I used to give people unclear answer such as,"I submitted your request for a raise and I should heard back soon" even though I knew there was ZERO chance of a raise. Your boss did you a favorite by giving you a clear answer.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Why in the world would you pitch raises for the entire department?

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:46 pm

RobLyons wrote:
Response from manager was: "(The company) does not offer market adjustments. I have paid you an extra XX. If that is not enough, perhaps you should reconsider your position."
The response was direct and to the point. If you consider it unprofessional, perhaps your manager can utilize his EQ and find a way to sugarcoat it for you. Don't let the way the message was delivered get to you. Basically you have 2 options: stay or leave if you find a better pay.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:26 am
I have never heard of a market adjustment. Is this a raise? In my last job, an upward change in salary was due to performance, not market.
Sure you can ask about inflation adjustment. If you had agreed on an offer of say $50K/yr in 2004, that is not $50K now! But of course they can say "no"!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:58 pm

I guess perception is different for all. I felt the "reconsider your position" part was unnecessary. I can accept a "no" answer
I think the "reconsider your position" had to do with your being part-time. Working part-time gives you no leverage with the employer. You are not establishing yourself as a vital employee they cannot do without. Your manager may be implying that if you want to earn more, work full-time.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:10 pm

RobLyons wrote:
I took a couple hours of my own time yesterday to compose a professional request for an evaluation at my company for a market adjustment for my department.

I am curious - did your colleagues task you with this crafting and submitting this request on their behalf? If not, did they at least know and agree before it was submitted?

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:40 pm

I always thought that if you are a critical employee, management will take care of you(money/title/work etc). If you are not, then you are deceiving yourself wasting time over talking to somebody - has this worked for anyone??? With HR??? 😄 - They get reviewed based on for how less they can hold you.
So, a) Be critical to company or b) Be happy with what you get or c) Leave the job
In your case the clear option is c) - its rare to get such a direct answer.

fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:46 pm

gotester2000 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:40 pm
I always thought that if you are a critical employee, management will take care of you(money/title/work etc). If you are not, then you are deceiving yourself wasting time over talking to somebody - has this worked for anyone??? With HR??? 😄 - They get reviewed based on for how less they can hold you.
So, a) Be critical to company or b) Be happy with what you get or c) Leave the job
To be clear, being a "critical", meaning "vital" employee will result you having leverage and requesting additional benefits, including compensation, from your employer.

However, being a "critical", meaning "like to critique" employee will result you getting the boot, unless you also happen to be "critical".

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:31 pm

gotester2000 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:40 pm
Being a stellar employee gives you leverage. Not a ton, but some.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:42 pm

I suppose there can be another side to all this. I know of a situation where all the workers are underpaid, but they cannot all quit and go work for someone else because they need the jobs to pay their expenses. There is even talk of unionizing the place. Now we can all argue about such situations and tell employees to go get other jobs. It can be easier said than done.

But basically, there is rarely any reason to pay more if people continue to work at a place for the money they are getting.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:29 pm

I realize this may not be a popular opinion but here is the way I see this ...

You are a part-time employee who thinks they deserve (want) a raise. You think you made a case for a raise and your boss says "reconsider your position." Seems like he did you a favor.

What he is in effect saying is "You are part time and you are expendable. If you want to stay, fine, just know what the pay of the land is. If you want more money for this part time job, guess again. Feel free to explore other options."

You now know you can stay there (maybe) for the same money, or if you want (need) more money you will have to leave. You should thank your manager and buy him a beer when you turn in your resignation.

How long would you have stayed there unhappy, unfulfilled and disgruntled if he had not been as straightforward (blunt, or rude as you put it) with you?

One Ping
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

sambb

Post by sambb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:40 pm

maybe the employee isnt as good or valuable as they think they are, to the employer
I think the request was asked and answered, and i would look at improving one's own work
every employee is replaceable

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
I'm a subordinate and I'm pretty sure I've been rude more often to my manager than vice versa. But otherwise we have a good working relationship, and I love my position.

But back to OP - many others have said and I concur. Your part time job doesn't want you as much as you want it. If you think you can be compensated adequately in another position, my advice would be to take it.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:50 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
I'm a subordinate and I'm pretty sure I've been rude more often to my manager than vice versa. But otherwise we have a good working relationship, and I love my position.

But back to OP - many others have said and I concur. Your part time job doesn't want you as much as you want it. If you think you can be compensated adequately in another position, my advice would be to take it.
You have a good manager.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 pm
I'm a subordinate and I'm pretty sure I've been rude more often to my manager than vice versa. But otherwise we have a good working relationship, and I love my position
Thank you for the memories, wabbajack. This reminded me of the relationships I had with most of my supervisors when I was working. Good (great!) working relationships focused on getting the job done, but filled with lots of good natured barbs (some probably uncomfortably close to home!). Also loved my job.

Sorry for the hijack. Now back to our regularly scheduled discourse ...
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."