Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
fantasytensai
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by fantasytensai » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:04 pm

My wife and I have agreed to take care of my Mother in Law when she is older. The question is how to do it in a way that does not greatly impede our path to FI, which we hope to achieve in 10-15 years (currently 30).

So I came up with a plan. My MiL will be immigrating to the US sometime in the coming year. She will be a green card holder for 5 years then become a citizen via naturalization. She has no assets and no income. My plan is to make sure that she has at least access to minimum social security benefits, and more importantly, Medicare coverage, after 10 years.

The plan is to hire my MiL as a 1099 contractor to help out with house cleaning and babysitting. She will be living with us rent free. I plan on paying her the federal minimum to qualify for SS, which I believe is around 5k to 6k a year. Doing so as a 1099 contractor will ensure I do not get tangled with employee taxes. My MiL will file her own taxes with quarterly withholdings, which will not be much given the low income. This way, after 10 years of work, she will be approximately 65, and will be able to qualify for a very small SS benefit, but more importantly, access to Medicare A coverage.

The cost of this arrangement for me and my wife is basically the payment of $5k to $6k annually to my MiL for 10 years. I think this is the best way for us to brace ourselves for the likely high amount of medical expenses that will come our way when she gets older. Plus, the added benefit is that my MiL will have some spending money, plus we are getting a very useful service in return (my wife and I are really lazy people and our house is a mess). Is there a down side to this? Given that not caring for my MiL is not an option, paying 50-60k over 10 years to ensure that she has at least some sort of safety net is a pretty good tradeoff, right? According to my calculations, it should delay our FIRE path by only one year, which is not bad at all considering the peace of mind we will have with my MiL's care.

invst65
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 am

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by invst65 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:18 pm

Sounds like a good plan but I'm not so sure you'll be able to get away with the 1099 thing. It's worth a try but it's possible the IRS will challenge it.

Also, if medical problems are "likely" how do you know they are going to wait until she's old enough for Medicare?

My wife is also an immigrant but we've never given much thought to petitioning any of her family for green cards. Health care is the main reason for that. It's MUCH cheaper in the country where they already are.

lostinjersey
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by lostinjersey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Under current law, after 5 years as a green card holder, your MIL will be eligible for Medicare when she is 65. She will have to pay Part A premiums but she is not subject to the ‘40 quarters of work’ requirement.

fantasytensai
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by fantasytensai » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm not afraid of an IRS challenge. I hire my MiL to provide a service. I don't dictate her hours, or tell her what to do. I just request that she spends 3 hours a week cleaning my house. If that's not a 1099 relationship, I don't know what is.

She has no medical issues right now. I was simply anticipating for when people get old they need medical care. In the 10 years leading up to retirement I will be buying her insurance.

JoeRetire
Posts: 1351
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Has MIL already gotten a green card?

Rupert
Posts: 3445
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by Rupert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:41 pm

fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 pm
I'm not afraid of an IRS challenge. I hire my MiL to provide a service. I don't dictate her hours, or tell her what to do. I just request that she spends 3 hours a week cleaning my house. If that's not a 1099 relationship, I don't know what is.

She has no medical issues right now. I was simply anticipating for when people get old they need medical care. In the 10 years leading up to retirement I will be buying her insurance.
Smells like a sham 1099 relationship to me. Just do the right thing, which is treat her as a W2 employee and pay the required taxes. Why in the world would you risk her immigration status (especially in today's climate) over this?

fantasytensai
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by fantasytensai » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:46 pm

Rupert wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:41 pm
fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 pm
I'm not afraid of an IRS challenge. I hire my MiL to provide a service. I don't dictate her hours, or tell her what to do. I just request that she spends 3 hours a week cleaning my house. If that's not a 1099 relationship, I don't know what is.

She has no medical issues right now. I was simply anticipating for when people get old they need medical care. In the 10 years leading up to retirement I will be buying her insurance.
Smells like a sham 1099 relationship to me. Just do the right thing, which is treat her as a W2 employee and pay the required taxes. Why in the world would you risk her immigration status (especially in today's climate) over this?
Sincerely curious. What exactly is a legitimate 1099 relationship?

fantasytensai
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by fantasytensai » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:49 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:24 pm
Has MIL already gotten a green card?
Not yet, currently in the process

UnitaryExecutive
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by UnitaryExecutive » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 pm

We're in a similar situation where my in-laws want to move to the US and we'd have to subsidize health care, life, or both. They have ~800k in assets but spend significantly more than that amount of passive income and are pretty financially illiterate and won't listen when we try to plan with them.

We were also trying to figure out how to get them Medicare or get them enough work to qualify for it.

fantasytensai
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by fantasytensai » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:53 pm

UnitaryExecutive wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 pm
We're in a similar situation where my in-laws want to move to the US and we'd have to subsidize health care, life, or both. They have ~800k in assets but spend significantly more than that amount of passive income and are pretty financially illiterate and won't listen when we try to plan with them.

We were also trying to figure out how to get them Medicare or get them enough work to qualify for it.
The good thing with my MiL is that she is very good natured and will listen to us and trusts us. Just trying to find the best path.

Rupert
Posts: 3445
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by Rupert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:00 pm

fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:46 pm
Rupert wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:41 pm
fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 pm
I'm not afraid of an IRS challenge. I hire my MiL to provide a service. I don't dictate her hours, or tell her what to do. I just request that she spends 3 hours a week cleaning my house. If that's not a 1099 relationship, I don't know what is.

She has no medical issues right now. I was simply anticipating for when people get old they need medical care. In the 10 years leading up to retirement I will be buying her insurance.
Smells like a sham 1099 relationship to me. Just do the right thing, which is treat her as a W2 employee and pay the required taxes. Why in the world would you risk her immigration status (especially in today's climate) over this?
Sincerely curious. What exactly is a legitimate 1099 relationship?
She's going to clean your house in a manner that justifies a salary, but you aren't going to direct her activities in any way? Really? Is that how most housekeepers work? In 2015, they tightened up the rules applicable to independent contractors vs. employees. See, e.g., https://www.homeworksolutions.com/knowl ... i-do-that/ . You should expect scrutiny. Given that we are apparently now expelling legal immigrants who have ever used public services (see news from earlier this week), no way would I chance drawing extra scrutiny of any kind to your situation right now.

fantasytensai
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by fantasytensai » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Rupert wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:00 pm
fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:46 pm
Rupert wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:41 pm
fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 pm
I'm not afraid of an IRS challenge. I hire my MiL to provide a service. I don't dictate her hours, or tell her what to do. I just request that she spends 3 hours a week cleaning my house. If that's not a 1099 relationship, I don't know what is.

She has no medical issues right now. I was simply anticipating for when people get old they need medical care. In the 10 years leading up to retirement I will be buying her insurance.
Smells like a sham 1099 relationship to me. Just do the right thing, which is treat her as a W2 employee and pay the required taxes. Why in the world would you risk her immigration status (especially in today's climate) over this?
Sincerely curious. What exactly is a legitimate 1099 relationship?
She's going to clean your house in a manner that justifies a salary, but you aren't going to direct her activities in any way? Really? Is that how most housekeepers work? In 2015, they tightened up the rules applicable to independent contractors vs. employees. See, e.g., https://www.homeworksolutions.com/knowl ... i-do-that/ . You should expect scrutiny. Given that we are apparently now expelling legal immigrants who have ever used public services (see news from earlier this week), no way would I chance drawing extra scrutiny of any kind to your situation right now.
What are you talking about? Giving directives makes the individual more akin to an employee than a contractor. Contractors perform a contracted work and follow their own directive and schedule.

megabad
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by megabad » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 pm

fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:04 pm
Is there a down side to this?
Yes, it may be in violation of US tax law and/or SS rules. Please review carefully Pub 926 for household employees (she will be one in my opinion). It is not clear to me that the wages you pay your MIL will count as SS wages.

Given that not caring for my MiL is not an option, paying 50-60k over 10 years to ensure that she has at least some sort of safety net is a pretty good tradeoff, right?
How old is MIL? If MIL does not work for 30 years the SS "safety net" will place her well below poverty level (even at current benefit levels which may change). This may be more trouble than it is worth.

I much prefer other poster's suggestion about maintaining foreign citizenship/dual citizenship and allowing MIL to move back home should she need a safety net. If not an option, then I would humbly suggest that she pursue work outside your home to acquire SS and medicare credits.


Rupert
Posts: 3445
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by Rupert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:14 pm

fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:06 pm
Rupert wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:00 pm
fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:46 pm
Rupert wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:41 pm
fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 pm
I'm not afraid of an IRS challenge. I hire my MiL to provide a service. I don't dictate her hours, or tell her what to do. I just request that she spends 3 hours a week cleaning my house. If that's not a 1099 relationship, I don't know what is.

She has no medical issues right now. I was simply anticipating for when people get old they need medical care. In the 10 years leading up to retirement I will be buying her insurance.
Smells like a sham 1099 relationship to me. Just do the right thing, which is treat her as a W2 employee and pay the required taxes. Why in the world would you risk her immigration status (especially in today's climate) over this?
Sincerely curious. What exactly is a legitimate 1099 relationship?
She's going to clean your house in a manner that justifies a salary, but you aren't going to direct her activities in any way? Really? Is that how most housekeepers work? In 2015, they tightened up the rules applicable to independent contractors vs. employees. See, e.g., https://www.homeworksolutions.com/knowl ... i-do-that/ . You should expect scrutiny. Given that we are apparently now expelling legal immigrants who have ever used public services (see news from earlier this week), no way would I chance drawing extra scrutiny of any kind to your situation right now.
What are you talking about? Giving directives makes the individual more akin to an employee than a contractor. Contractors perform a contracted work and follow their own directive and schedule.
You don't recognize sarcasm, do you? No one is going to believe you aren't going to give her directions. That's my point. The safer choice is to just treat her as a W2 employee and pay the proper taxes. But you do what you want. Good luck with the IRS and to your MIL.

fantasytensai
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by fantasytensai » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm

megabad wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 pm
fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:04 pm
Is there a down side to this?
Yes, it may be in violation of US tax law and/or SS rules. Please review carefully Pub 926 for household employees (she will be one in my opinion). It is not clear to me that the wages you pay your MIL will count as SS wages.

Given that not caring for my MiL is not an option, paying 50-60k over 10 years to ensure that she has at least some sort of safety net is a pretty good tradeoff, right?
How old is MIL? If MIL does not work for 30 years the SS "safety net" will place her well below poverty level (even at current benefit levels which may change). This may be more trouble than it is worth.

I much prefer other poster's suggestion about maintaining foreign citizenship/dual citizenship and allowing MIL to move back home should she need a safety net. If not an option, then I would humbly suggest that she pursue work outside your home to acquire SS and medicare credits.

Thank you, I will check that out now. Will definitely make sure to dot all the "i"s and cross all the "t"s.

User avatar
OAG
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Currently Central Ohio, USA

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by OAG » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Duplicate Post - Sorry.
Last edited by OAG on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

User avatar
OAG
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Currently Central Ohio, USA

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by OAG » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 pm

1099 means she has to pay her own SS/MC taxes on the income IN ADDITION to the Employers side of the taxes (this would be a Self-Employment situation). Basically the employment taxes are the same as if she works for you (W2 employee). I think in either case the situation may get tedious as time proceeds.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

fantasytensai
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by fantasytensai » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:58 pm

OAG wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 pm
1099 means she has to pay her own SS/MC taxes on the income IN ADDITION to the Employers side of the taxes (this would be a Self-Employment situation). Basically the employment taxes are the same as if she works for you (W2 employee). I think in either case the situation may get tedious as time proceeds.
Yes I know and I will make sure she pays all the taxes of course.

lostinjersey
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by lostinjersey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Did you see my post? All these machinations are unnecessary.

Here’s a link.

https://medicare.com/resources/medicare ... d-holders/

kenoryan
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by kenoryan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 pm

After 5 years on the green card she will become a citizen. Is there anything saying she can't apply for SSI and medicaid? And medicare through SSI?

amitb00
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by amitb00 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:01 pm

kenoryan wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 pm
After 5 years on the green card she will become a citizen. Is there anything saying she can't apply for SSI and medicaid? And medicare through SSI?
Well said. If she has less than 3K in asssets, 65+ age, low income(check specific number), she will be eligible for Medicaid if her green card is 5 year old. If she is a US citizen (which she will be after 5 years of GC), and all other above conditions (3K assets, low income) she can get SSI for $550 per month. She can also get EBT (food stamps) benefits when she gets Medicaid. So if she is poor and can survive first five years she is fine.
In many states like CA, NY state will provide state funded Medicaid to new immigrants provided they are poor. That is you don’t have to wait for five years.

fantasytensai
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by fantasytensai » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:04 pm

kenoryan wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 pm
After 5 years on the green card she will become a citizen. Is there anything saying she can't apply for SSI and medicaid? And medicare through SSI?
Thank you! That is a much more straightforward method! This will be perfect for my MiL since she has no assets and likely no income when she turns 65.

hale2
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by hale2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm

amitb00 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:01 pm
kenoryan wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 pm
After 5 years on the green card she will become a citizen. Is there anything saying she can't apply for SSI and medicaid? And medicare through SSI?
Well said. If she has less than 3K in asssets, 65+ age, low income(check specific number), she will be eligible for Medicaid if her green card is 5 year old. If she is a US citizen (which she will be after 5 years of GC), and all other above conditions (3K assets, low income) she can get SSI for $550 per month. She can also get EBT (food stamps) benefits when she gets Medicaid. So if she is poor and can survive first five years she is fine.
In many states like CA, NY state will provide state funded Medicaid to new immigrants provided they are poor. That is you don’t have to wait for five years.
Wow! I had no idea the system could be worked like this. I thought if you sponsored someone who had to sign saying you would support them?

fantasytensai
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by fantasytensai » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:48 pm

hale2 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm
amitb00 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:01 pm
kenoryan wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 pm
After 5 years on the green card she will become a citizen. Is there anything saying she can't apply for SSI and medicaid? And medicare through SSI?
Well said. If she has less than 3K in asssets, 65+ age, low income(check specific number), she will be eligible for Medicaid if her green card is 5 year old. If she is a US citizen (which she will be after 5 years of GC), and all other above conditions (3K assets, low income) she can get SSI for $550 per month. She can also get EBT (food stamps) benefits when she gets Medicaid. So if she is poor and can survive first five years she is fine.
In many states like CA, NY state will provide state funded Medicaid to new immigrants provided they are poor. That is you don’t have to wait for five years.
Wow! I had no idea the system could be worked like this. I thought if you sponsored someone who had to sign saying you would support them?
Yes, for 5 years. After 5 years it's fair game when she naturalizes.

JoeRetire
Posts: 1351
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:19 pm

fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:49 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:24 pm
Has MIL already gotten a green card?
Not yet, currently in the process
A bunch of my friends who are still working tell me "things are different now" regarding green cards.
Good luck.

Rupert
Posts: 3445
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by Rupert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:19 pm
fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:49 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:24 pm
Has MIL already gotten a green card?
Not yet, currently in the process
A bunch of my friends who are still working tell me "things are different now" regarding green cards.
Good luck.
That's exactly the point I kept trying to impress upon OP in my posts above without getting into politics. See https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... ts-n897931

If it were my MIL, I'd choose the most conservative option -- the option that would draw the least amount of scrutiny from any government agency -- and that option, I believe, is treating the MIL like a W2 employee, paying all the proper taxes for a W2 employee, and avoiding any hint of manipulation of the system and/or use of public aid of any sort. (Edited to note that I'm not sure if this sort of W2 income for a family household employee would qualify as social security income, however, which was pointed out by a previous poster. That needs to be researched.)

invst65
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 am

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by invst65 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:00 pm

hale2 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm
amitb00 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:01 pm
kenoryan wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 pm
After 5 years on the green card she will become a citizen. Is there anything saying she can't apply for SSI and medicaid? And medicare through SSI?
Well said. If she has less than 3K in asssets, 65+ age, low income(check specific number), she will be eligible for Medicaid if her green card is 5 year old. If she is a US citizen (which she will be after 5 years of GC), and all other above conditions (3K assets, low income) she can get SSI for $550 per month. She can also get EBT (food stamps) benefits when she gets Medicaid. So if she is poor and can survive first five years she is fine.
In many states like CA, NY state will provide state funded Medicaid to new immigrants provided they are poor. That is you don’t have to wait for five years.
Wow! I had no idea the system could be worked like this. I thought if you sponsored someone who had to sign saying you would support them?
What about the Affidavit of Support (I-864) that I assume the OP will be signing? It says the petitioner will be held financially responsible for a period of 10 years if the non-naturalized immigrant becomes a public charge. Or at least that's what I thought it said when I signed mine for my wife and stepson (both citizens now so I'm off the hook).

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 5859
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by HueyLD » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:36 pm

The current version of instructions to I-864 says:

"How Long Does My Obligation as a Sponsor Continue?

Your obligation to support the immigrants you are sponsoring in this Affidavit of Support will continue until the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work in the United States.
Although 40 qualifying quarters of work (credits) generally equates to 10 years of work, in certain cases the work of a spouse or parent adds qualifying quarters. The Social Security Administration can provide information on how to count qualifying quarters (credits) of work.

The obligation also ends if you or the sponsored immigrant dies or if the sponsored immigrant ceases to be a lawful permanent resident.

Divorce does not end the sponsorship obligation."

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 46795
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:57 pm

I removed an off-topic post regarding immigration status and receiving US benefits. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Please stay focused on helping the OP and state your concerns in a civil, factual manner.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

JoeRetire
Posts: 1351
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Rupert wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 pm
That's exactly the point I kept trying to impress upon OP in my posts above without getting into politics. See https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... ts-n897931
Yup.
Maybe things will work out in spite of all that.

kenoryan
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by kenoryan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:29 am

fantasytensai wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:04 pm
kenoryan wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 pm
After 5 years on the green card she will become a citizen. Is there anything saying she can't apply for SSI and medicaid? And medicare through SSI?
Thank you! That is a much more straightforward method! This will be perfect for my MiL since she has no assets and likely no income when she turns 65.
I know this, because a neighbor of mine had brought his Dad over from Poland and got him SSI and Medicare when he became a citizen. He declined the food stamps. Old man lived with them until he died.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 5859
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by HueyLD » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:10 am

Please pay attention to Rupert's link and advice.

Just like investments, past performance is not indictive of future results.

The OP's original idea of hiring his MIL as a domestic helper appears to be a workable strategy provided that he files Schedule H and dots all the i's and crosses all the t's.

Best wishes to the OP and his MIL.

invst65
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 am

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by invst65 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm
Rupert wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 pm
That's exactly the point I kept trying to impress upon OP in my posts above without getting into politics. See https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... ts-n897931
Yup.
Maybe things will work out in spite of all that.
The optics in that NBC story are quite interesting.

ColoRetiredGirl
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Plan for Parental Care in my road to financial independence

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:02 pm

invst65 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm
Rupert wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 pm
That's exactly the point I kept trying to impress upon OP in my posts above without getting into politics. See https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... ts-n897931
Yup.
Maybe things will work out in spite of all that.
The optics in that NBC story are quite interesting.
The words “self-sufficient” jumped off the page in this article for me. OP, what occupation or skills does she have to bolster her job opportunities?

Post Reply