Device to listen to while exercising?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Myopic squirrel

Device to listen to while exercising?

Post by Myopic squirrel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Read that listening to high tempo music helps to maximize one's workout. See people wearing earbuds where I run, but haven't bothered asking them what they're using. Would like an inexpensive device to record some tunes from my CD collection. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

Afty

Re: Device to listen to while exercising?

Post by Afty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Most people today use a smartphone. There are also still some MP3 players left, such as the Sansa Clip. You can “rip” your CDs to MP3s using Windows Media Player on a PC or iTunes on a Mac.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:14 pm

iPod Touch is another option if you don’t want to use a smartphone for this.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:19 pm

I walk 2 miles each morning around the local track, I listen to files ripped onto my iPhone.i do not do it to raise my heart rate, it just helps pass the time. (I get bored easily, I suppose.)
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

JeffAL

Post by JeffAL » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:29 pm

I listen to podcasts via my phone through Bluetooth earbuds while running.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:44 pm

My husband uses an iPod Shuffle.

They have been discontinued by Apple, but can still be found on Amazon.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:54 pm

delamer wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:44 pm

That's what I use. Podcasts, not music. Sometimes books. Also frequently use it at night to listen to a meditation as I drift off to sleep.
Friar1610

passiveTiger

Post by passiveTiger » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:15 pm

Myopic squirrel wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 pm
Read that listening to high tempo music helps to maximize one's workout. See people wearing earbuds where I run, but haven't bothered asking them what they're using. Would like an inexpensive device to record some tunes from my CD collection. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.
Anything that keeps you moving at a good pace is good.

If you do not want to bring a phone with you on runs or you are worried about smashing it in a weight room, there are also earphones in which a MP3 player is the earphones.

I am providing an example below, but I have no idea whether this particular product is a good one, and I neither recommend getting it nor avoiding it. I cannot remember the exact product that I had. This is just an example of the type of product that I am describing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015R34PHS/

I would want one that claims to be waterproof even if you have no intention of wearing it while swimming. I used that feature primarily to rinse mine with water to remove sweat from it.

I use Bluetooth earphones like most other people now, but I wanted to mention this type of product since they can encounter misfortune with less owner remorse.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:39 pm

If you know any teens, one of them may have an old iPod that you could use for listening to music. My children had them before they got phones. They are probably sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Otherwise, as suggested, The Shuffle is great. Tiny & inexpensive. The only drawback is you cannot view the title of the song that is playing.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:55 pm

I use a small mp3 player made by Polaroid. Super cheap, super light. Holds a gig or two, so plenty of music.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:23 am

I've never been much of a music person but if you have a smart phone you have a number of options. There are plenty of apps that allow you to listen to live radio stations around the US (and sometimes the world). There are apps that will play old time radio shows (Superman, Sherlock Holmes, CBS Radio Mystery Theater, etc.). Things such as Pandora, etc. Some are free or charge a small amount.

If you go the smart phone route, I'd suggest getting blue tooth headphones. I got a cheap pair I only use at the gym. Makes it easier when you don't have to deal with cables (and possibly yanking the cable from the phone and causing the phone to fall and break).

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:29 am

My workouts were greatly enhanced by the use of music about 10 years back. It puts you in a zone for sure. Started with an iPod shuffle or nano.. Since then just my iPhone and now I pay $5/month for Apple Music. $60/year is well worth having every song and album in high quality.

Personally I listen to what gets me most motivated and that's rap for lifting, and latin dance music for intense cardio (pitbull, don omar). For slower cardio I watch youtube videos on home improvement or exercise and diet science, anything informative. Good luck!
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:38 am

As someone else mentioned - if you have any kids, nephews, or nieces that are in their late teens or early twenties they may have old iPods they no longer use (as they moved from iPod to iPhone). I have a couple of discarded iPod touches, an iPod shuffle (very small and good for gym), and an old iPod Nano - which ALL still work fine (battery time varies). I keep one in my car, one in my gym bag, and one connected in my home office. You can use iTunes to rip all your CDs to media which you then move over to your iPod. Of course you can still buy music as well. You can also download podcasts that meet your interests. The shuffle has wifi but I put it in airplane mode to save battery - I suppose you could connect to wifi in the gym and use an app to stream music.
If old iPods can't be found you can still buy them although purchasing a non-Apple mp3 product will be cheaper.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:05 am

I would get a cheap Dell Desktop or similar for ripping your CD Collection. You may want to rip WAV files as they are CD quality and better than MP3's if you plan on using a nice stereo someday.
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Fl ... p+i3+256gb
Then I'd recommend your phone/iPod Touch with an armband and bluetooth headphones.
https://www.amazon.com/Phaiser-Bluetoot ... ds=phaiser

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:15 am

If you have an unlimited data plan or there is free wifi at your gym, I'd consider setting up a Spotify account and playing music through earbuds plugged into my phone. My children are all paying the $10.00/month for the higher quality, ad free account. I've looked at the free account and tried it a while but reverted to ripping my CD's and then transferring my part of my library to my phone because it gave me more control.

If you have an Iphone, and either a Windows or Mac PC with a CD drive, you can rip your CD's into Itunes and then it will be available on your phone either by transferring them or by streaming them from apple I think for free

If you have an android phone, you can rip your CD's into Itunes, load them up to the Google Music cloud, and then stream them from Google using Play for free.

If you have an Android phone you can also transfer the music files to the phone and listen when you don't have a data connection. Its a little harder than with an Iphone, but I rip my CD's into Itunes on my Windows PC and then use Isyncr (a $10.00 app that runs on both the phone and computer) to transfer my playlist from Itunes to my android phone.
Lorne

Myopic squirrel

Post by Myopic squirrel » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:20 am

Thank you all for your replies & options! Should have mentioned only a flip phone user, but good info should I ever go the iPhone/Android route. Starting off w/ seeing if there is someone in the family no longer uses their ipod. Thanks again!

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:25 am

Too lazy to read the full thread ... apologize if redundant

I use my IPHONE. The best investment I made was in a good pair of Bluetooth headphones. Not dealing with a cord has been a game changer.

EDIT

I bought mine from Dick's (brick and mortar). But something like this might work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G8JO5F2/re ... rd_w=7AcN6

To be clear, I don't have these! But they look fine and the price point is modest.

When I'm outside, I only keep in one ear bud. I tuck the other in my shirt. If I'm running, I use a clip to clip the other side to my shirt so it's not dangling or acting as an anchor. Not pretty ... but works.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:36 am

Myopic squirrel wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:20 am
Thank you all for your replies & options! Should have mentioned only a flip phone user, but good info should I ever go the iPhone/Android route. Starting off w/ seeing if there is someone in the family no longer uses their ipod. Thanks again!
Haha. Old school. Respect!

Locally here, you can borrow IPODs from the library. An option for you locally?

IPODs are cheap these days. From your current situation, this will feel like the difference between riding your bike and driving a Tesla. You could probably find lower cost options. Another benefit, which my Dad liked was Facetime. All the grand kids use it ... for whatever reason, they are more likely to Facetime than call.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-touch ... generation

Good luck

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:06 am

I am an iPhone person- and I rotate them out. Every two years, I buy a new iPhone, and my old one becomes my workout music phone. That way I don't have to worry about breaking my good phone, or about loading up the memory of my current phone. I know you are not a smartphone use, but perhaps someone in your family has an old one. Many people ditch their old phones when the battery starts not lasting as long. If you are only using your phone for workout music, and you otherwise keep it in airplane mode (where it doesn't keep looking for wireless, email, etc., the battery will be fine for weeks at a time, even with an old battery).

gasdoc

alexander29

Post by alexander29 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:23 am

I just started using Apple AirPods with an Apple watch, which plays music and also works like a Fitbit to track distance, calories burned, etc. No need to carry phone. Nice if you're in the Apple ecosystem. Yes, they look a little odd, but no wires and they stay surprisingly firm in the ears. Great sound.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:34 am

friar1610 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:54 pm
delamer wrote:

That's what I use. Podcasts, not music. Sometimes books. Also frequently use it at night to listen to a meditation as I drift off to sleep.
I'm still using a shuffle too. Simple and just works, had this one for 5+ years.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:38 pm

What?! I'm seeing on Ebay old iPod shuffles, like first generation, from 2005, for over 50 bucks! I guess they work just as well as newer generations unlike phones?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:40 pm

I don't listen to anything - just look at the pretty women :)

NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:34 am
friar1610 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:54 pm
delamer wrote:

I'm still using a shuffle too. Simple and just works, had this one for 5+ years.
Another Shuffle fan here. I have Bluetooth headphones and have used them with my phone, but I can't get them to stay in consistently and the Shuffle is much lighter than the phone. Went back to the Shuffle for podcasts and music. No better device for runners, in my view.