Do Airlines measure checked baggages?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BogleMelon

Do Airlines measure checked baggages?

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 am

Travelling on Etihad from JFK. Just noticed that they have a maximum dimensions for checked luggages (70 cm x 50 cm x 38 cm). My 29" bag exceeds that total by couple of inches. I will keep the bag within the allowed weight anyways, I am only worried about the size.

I have seen it before where airlines test the carry on bag size using a basket with a predetermined size. If the carry on bag fits in the basket, it goes up with the passenger, otherwise, it gets checked in... But I have never seen before an airline that is checking the checked baggage size!

Have anyone familiar with this? Are airlines (specially Etihad) usually relaxed with few inches more for a checked bag, specially it would be within the weight limit?

Thanks.
Last edited by BogleMelon on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

lthenderson

Re: Do Airlines measure checked baggages?

Post by lthenderson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 am

I've flown a lot and never had a checked bag measured unless it was obviously oversized and then it was measured to see how much I would have to pay extra to check it.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:35 am

I saw it with Spirit Airlines. Weight limit was 40 pounds. The guy next to us rang up to 68 pounds. They made him remove things from the bag to come in under the limit. I remember wondering why someone going to Florida would have seemingly quarts of shampoo and conditioner. With the removal of a number of huge liquid bottles, he easily came in at 40.

We found that indeed, Florida has Target stores that even carry shampoo. Amazing.

I always find that the best travel policy is to pack lightly. Realize that every hotel everywhere has laundry facilities and if you can't decide whether to take something, leave it home.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:38 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:35 am
I saw it with Spirit Airlines. Weight limit was 40 pounds. The guy next to us rang up to 68 pounds. They made him remove things from the bag to come in under the limit. I remember wondering why someone going to Florida would have seemingly quarts of shampoo and conditioner. With the removal of a number of huge liquid bottles, he easily came in at 40.

We found that indeed, Florida has Target stores that even carry shampoo. Amazing.

I always find that the best travel policy is to pack lightly. Realize that every hotel everywhere has laundry facilities and if you can't decide whether to take something, leave it home.
Thanks but I know they weigh it. I was asking about measuring the dimensions not the weight..
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

riverguy

Post by riverguy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 am

Most likely will fly under the radar unless it is grossly out of size, which you said it is not. Weight is the main concern. Easier to measure quickly than size and more of a safety issue for workers.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:01 am

Usually the ultra low cost airlines are the most aggressive in measuring bags. Also internationally (my experiences in Europe, anyhow) airlines are more aggressive in enforcing policies, especially if you are on a coach ticket. Premium seat passengers get away with a lot more.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:04 am

rich126 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:01 am
Usually the ultra low cost airlines are the most aggressive in measuring bags. Also internationally (my experiences in Europe, anyhow) airlines are more aggressive in enforcing policies, especially if you are on a coach ticket. Premium seat passengers get away with a lot more.
Exactly.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:05 am

rich126 wrote:
Have you seen them before measuring a bag (at the check in kiosk) with a measuring tape?! Or you just speak in general?

jminv

Post by jminv » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:35 am

Etihad announced in June that they were going to be very strict with in cabin baggage (nothhing specifically about checked baggage), supposedly due to the summer season rush but probably actually to improve profitability (Etihad is not doing great, they're in their second year of large losses). Based on what I've seen online and what I've observed at the airport, they are actually checking carry on bag sizes frequently now and sometimes checked baggage both for size and weight instead of just weight. Where I am (Europe), Etihad was checking 100% of the carryons and some fraction of the checked baggage when I was at the airport last month but with a clear focus on the carry ons (easy way to get more money and they can make use of the size bins rather than tape which is faster). Normally, for checked baggage they will be more likely to measure it if they can tell clearly that it is oversized. One way you might avoid this is if it's a wheeled duffel or something like that where they don't have as good as a reference point. It sounds like yours is just 1-3 inches oversized? I wouldn't worry too much if that's all it is but you always run the chance of getting an agent that will check it. I have seen Etihad with a measuring tape but this was not at JFK and it was applied to a very large checked bag to illustrate to the person who owned it why they had to pay more.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:39 am

jminv wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:35 am
Etihad announced in June that they were going to be very strict with in cabin baggage (nothhing specifically about checked baggage), supposedly due to the summer season rush but probably actually to improve profitability (Etihad is not doing great, they're in their second year of large losses). Based on what I've seen online and what I've observed at the airport, they are actually checking carry on bag sizes frequently now and sometimes checked baggage both for size and weight instead of just weight. Where I am (Europe), Etihad was checking 100% of the carryons and some fraction of the checked baggage when I was at the airport last month but with a clear focus on the carry ons (easy way to get more money and they can make use of the size bins rather than tape which is faster). Normally, for checked baggage they will be more likely to measure it if they can tell clearly that it is oversized. One way you might avoid this is if it's a wheeled duffel or something like that where they don't have as good as a reference point. It sounds like yours is just 1-3 inches oversized? I wouldn't worry too much if that's all it is but you always run the chance of getting an agent that will check it. I have seen Etihad with a measuring tape but this was not at JFK and it was applied to a very large checked bag to illustrate to the person who owned it why they had to pay more.
Thanks for sharing this. Speaking about the carry on, my carry on is within the limits (both size and weight), and in addition I will have a personal item (which they allow). The personal item will be a backpack to put a DSLR and a Laptop in it. Any idea if a backpack is OK as a personal item? They are so vague in their website about that.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:53 am

This comes down to "do you feel lucky."

I would observe that it's a lot easier to make a bag lighter than to make a bag smaller. If I do go to the airport with an outside-regulation bag, I like to have a backup plan.

> Any idea if a backpack is OK as a personal item?

I think a "personal item" is something that can fit under the seat.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 am

Long term, probably swap it out for a smaller bag, but you should be fine. I have seen quite a few airlines weigh bags, but not measure checked ones. Carry ons get put into the sizer.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:00 am

I was in Heathrow flying with a bike in a box. The box was too heavy by a pound. Since the flight wasn't full, I was told I could also check my carry-on for free. I foolishly moved some metal tools, not allowed in carry-on, to my other bag as a result.

But, the machine (no longer any humans) wouldn't allow this. Instead, I had to have the bag checked by the only human there. It took a long while to get to the desk and when I was there I was told to put my bag in the metal box that measures allowed carry-on sizes. My bag wouldn't fit into box. Since I'd put metal in it, I could no longer get it through security. I ended up having to pay $100 to check a bag that certainly would have been allowed if I hadn't tried to check it.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:44 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:39 am
<snip>
The personal item will be a backpack to put a DSLR and a Laptop in it. Any idea if a backpack is OK as a personal item? They are so vague in their website about that.
Actually, the website seems clear on carry-on specifications:

Economy Class:

1 x cabin bag with a maximum weight of 7kg and maximum dimensions of (50cm x 40cm x 25cm)
1 x personal item which must fit under the seat in front of you, with a maximum weight of 5kg. For example, a handbag, a laptop bag or Duty Free purchase.

You need to scroll down to find the text I excerpted above:

https://www.etihad.com/en/before-you-fl ... llowances/

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 am

rjbraun wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:44 am
BogleMelon wrote:
<snip>
The personal item will be a backpack to put a DSLR and a Laptop in it. Any idea if a backpack is OK as a personal item? They are so vague in their website about that.

Economy Class:

1 x cabin bag with a maximum weight of 7kg and maximum dimensions of (50cm x 40cm x 25cm)
1 x personal item which must fit under the seat in front of you, with a maximum weight of 5kg. For example, a handbag, a laptop bag or Duty Free purchase.

Yes I was checking and was able to saw the drawing with the dimensions. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take my backpack as a personal items, it is 10 cm longer (4 inches) :oops:

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:54 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 am
rjbraun wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
<snip>

Economy Class:

Yes I was checking and was able to saw the drawing with the dimensions. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take my backpack as a personal items, it is 10 cm longer (4 inches) :oops:
Is this a school/business sized backpack or a hiking backpack?

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:54 am
BogleMelon wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
<snip>

Economy Class:

business sized

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:54 am
BogleMelon wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
<snip>

Economy Class:

business sized
I’ve brought my business backpack on board a few times. I used it as my purse and stored it under the seat ahead of me. It squished enough to do so. Enough room to store 15” computer, and essentials for a couple of days.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Supposedly properly sized carry-on bags can be rejected sometimes:

We had a surprise flying out of a smaller airport (Aspen) a few weeks ago.

Importantly, we drove in. This was our first time ever flying in OR out of Aspen, which matters here.

We got to the airport, with our relatively new carry-ons, because one airline we tend to use had just decreased the carry-on size by *one* inch (so we had already "down-sized" for a different airline, and we were well within dimensions for the current airline), and we carry meds that we cannot risk being separated from.

So we arrive, and as boarding is starting, an announcement is made that ALL carry-ons must be gate-checked for this flight, and we can have them back for connecting flights.
Say what!?
Smaller "personal items" would still be allowed.

So we go to the gate attendant and tell her that these two bags comply with their written carry-on baggage sizes, and we have critical meds inside.

She SNARLED at us (!!), "Didn't you FLY IN!??"
We must have looked genuinely startled and confused, as we replied, "No. We drove to Aspen. This is our first time using this airport except for rental cars. WHY?"
She changed affect *instantly* (that alone was very interesting!), and said, "Oh, well if you'd flown in, you'd already know about this and would have been prepared already..."

So we each took out our meds bags (at least they are all together and we didn't have to rummage around searching for lots of little vials (!), and put them in a little satchel of sorts, putting its contents into the to-be-gate-checked bags.

Turns out this is the smallest commercial jet I've been on, at least in my memory (several decades).

There was NO prior announcement, not even when checking in online.
The gate attendant looked surprised at that, and said that probably the airline assumes that anyone flying out has also flown IN and already knows. Yeah, but did they also only "first find out" when starting to board for the inbound flight?

Sure, now that we know, IF we ever use that airport again, we'll pack accordingly from the start.

So... even "the rules" sometimes aren't the actual rules...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:30 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm
We got to the airport, with our relatively new carry-ons, because one airline we tend to use had just decreased the carry-on size by *one* inch (so we had already "down-sized" for a different airline, and we were well within dimensions for the current airline), and we carry meds that we cannot risk being separated from.

So we arrive, and as boarding is starting, an announcement is made that ALL carry-ons must be gate-checked for this flight, and we can have them back for connecting flights.
Say what!?
Smaller "personal items" would still be allowed.

So we go to the gate attendant and tell her that these two bags comply with their written carry-on baggage sizes, and we have critical meds inside.
Welcome to the wonderful world of regional aircraft. This is pretty standard for CR2, CR7, Q400 and ERJ-140 aircraft (among others). Every airline operating these smaller jets will have this restriction because the bins are simply too small. So they offer "valet" service where you typically put the bag on a cart outside the plane and they return it to you upon arrival either on a similar cart or in the jetway (not at the baggage carousel).

I don't know which airline you were flying, but...

Alaska Airlines: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/trave ... l-aircraft
Horizon and SkyWest planeside baggage service
Because of smaller overhead storage and under seat space on aircraft operated by Horizon Air or SkyWest (Bombardier Q400 or CRJ aircraft), larger carry-on items will be placed on a planeside cart before boarding.

The maximum dimensions allowed for planeside baggage service is 9" H x 14" W x 22" L (23 x 36 x 56 cm), including wheels and handles.

These items will be specially tagged and returned to the cart for retrieval at a designated area on the ramp or jet bridge as you get off of your flight. Just find the red and white stop sign and your bags will be there within 5 minutes of deplaning.

Some items allowed as carry-on cannot travel in the checked baggage compartment. The item MUST remain with you in the cabin or be removed before your carry-on bag is placed on the planeside cart. Refer to the Prohibited Items section below for more information. Also, refer to the Batteries and Electronics page for information about Smart bags, Self-Propelled bags, eBags, and bags that can charge electronic devices.

Fragile or high-value items should be also carried into the cabin with you and not left on the planeside cart.
United: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-us/travel ... spx?POS=US
Delta: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... ry-on.html

(I'll spare you the quotes that are similar to AS above)

Of course, the airline staff should be polite when explaining the restrictions. There will always be passengers who have never flown on a regional aircraft and/or are not aware of what aircraft they are on, so putting rules on the website isn't necessarily a guarantee that everyone's aware of it. And we probably all agree that the alternative, making the general carry-on size restrictions such that all bags fit into the tiny overheads, isn't really a good one :)

The good news is that while there are still many hundreds of these aircraft around, in many cases they are slowly but surely getting replaced with larger ones.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:36 pm

OP - there are no guarantees that a bag that's too large will not be measured and discovered. I have seen airline agents measure bags. Plan accordingly.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:09 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:53 am
This comes down to "do you feel lucky."
And if you get called to meet the letter of the law (their law) your options are pretty poor. Pay a hefty oversize bag fee? Throw away stuff you’ve paid for? Probably not enough time left to haul it back to your car in in the long term parking lot.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:47 pm

Some airlines may not strictly enforce their rules for baggage that's slightly oversized, but I bet it's only for frequent flyers and those who paid for more expensive tickets.

I have not known any airline, and I've flown quite a lot of them, to pass on an opportunity to charge a fee to a non-preferred customer. That's a good part of how they make their profits. Index fund owners, rejoice.

PJW

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Alaska has recently changed the allowed size of carry-on baggage to meet the same standards as other airlines, and if the suitcase looks larger than allowed, you must fit it into the box they have to measure carry-on bags. Mine now is 1/2" too long, and I had to check it. I was told it was FAA rules, and they could get fined for allowing it as a carry-on. :annoyed

Fortunately, my first checked bag on Alaska is free.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:57 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thanks for sharing this. Speaking about the carry on, my carry on is within the limits (both size and weight), and in addition I will have a personal item (which they allow). The personal item will be a backpack to put a DSLR and a Laptop in it. Any idea if a backpack is OK as a personal item? They are so vague in their website about that.
I can't say for sure which is counted as which, but I have flown many times (both domestically and internationally) with my CPAP and a backpack (containing a DSLR and a netbook) in the cabin with me. Nobody ever batted an eye, nobody ever challenged either. So I suppose it would be safe to argue that the CPAP was my carry-on and backpack the personal item. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

(As a side note, it's worth pointing out that the airlines have been known to do crazy, illogical things.

Once, some years back, I was travelling home from a business trip, during which I carried a laptop in a carry bag and a DSLR in a camera bag as my "one plus one". This was back when DSLRs were relatively new on the market. As I tried to board, the gate agent told me that I was allowed only one of these items, that I would have to check one of them. I pointed out the sign standing next to the gate counter which explicitly described the "one plus one" allowance, to no effect. I finally looked the agent in the eye and said: "This bag contains a $1,000 digital SLR camera. This bag contains a $1,200 laptop computer. Which one are you going to be responsible for?"

The solution they proposed was for me to remove the laptop from the carry bag and check the empty bag, carrying the laptop on my lap on the plane. For the life of me I can't see what the logic behind that was, but that's what I ended up having to do.)
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:15 pm

I've seen many responses on bags being barley over the limit. This is why I use a soft duffel that I can cram.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:27 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:05 am
rich126 wrote:
Have you seen them before measuring a bag (at the check in kiosk) with a measuring tape?! Or you just speak in general?
I'm seen bags weighed. As far as measuring, no. Usually just placed in the sizer thing. I've seen helpful GA tell women that only 2 bags are allowed so the woman has to place her purse in another bag or check one of them.

I have seen people told they have to check their carry on and then they have to figure out what to do with stuff in the bag they don't want to risk placing in the cargo hold. So if your bag is questionable, and you have stuff you don't want to check, make sure you have a small bag to hold valuables.

Fortunately my travels usually don't involve coach and the occasional Europe trip only takes place every 12-24 months and also isn't usually in coach.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:31 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:36 pm
OP - there are no guarantees that a bag that's too large will not be measured and discovered. I have seen airline agents measure bags. Plan accordingly.
OP: Why are you trying to take so much stuff that you need a bag that exceeds the maximum dimensions? Why not just comply with the airline's rules?

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 am
I've flown a lot and never had a checked bag measured unless it was obviously oversized and then it was measured to see how much I would have to pay extra to check it.
The airlines have been pretty lenient on this from what I can see but passengers obviously have abused this. I have seen some pretty large "carry on" luggage which should have been checked but the stewards and stewardesses look the other way. The airline crews realize how passengers feel about the various nuisance fees, particularly with luggage, and thus have a relaxed attitude about this. Problem is, if people abuse this too much, the overhead bins get filled up too quickly. If people continue to abuse the carry on rule, I suspect the airlines will start cracking down. I know this annoys me because I try to follow the rules.
A fool and his money are good for business.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:31 am
TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:36 pm
OP: Why are you trying to take so much stuff that you need a bag that exceeds the maximum dimensions? Why not just comply with the airline's rules?
I suspect that the OP, like me, travels much more domestically than they do internationally. I own several bags that meet US domestic carry-on dimensions, but I've never bought a bag specifically to meet the smaller international dimensions.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 am

I travel a lot for work. It's yes on weight as you generally sit it on scales during check in. On dimensions I've never seen it. Bags generally come in standard dimensions and I'm sure the person doing check in could easily spot something grossly different than that. Just be aware that if you "get away with" something at one airport during your travels, doesn't guarantee you will at the next airport on your journey. I've seen it happen too many times....

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:39 am

If you are flying an ultra-low cost airline like Spirit or Frontier, expect the bag to be carefully measured. My last Spirit flight (first and only) required each passenger to put their carry on in the undersized measuring device (no squishing allowed) and hit ones that didn't measure up with big fees.

By contrast, in my experience you can get away with almost anything on a United 737 or larger if the bag still physically fits in the overhead. Doubly so if you are with a small child. Southwest is pretty lenient as well.

In Europe, things are a bit more touch and go. Iv'e had KLM be both generous and less-generous with carry ons. In the less generous instance, they were preparing to make me check the bag (which was ordinary carry on size for U.S. purposes) until they realized I was flying business class (which is just economy with the middle seat blocked off), and let me slide. I'd expect the European budget airlines like Easyjet and Ryanair to be similar or worse than Spirit.

For overseas flights like the Ethiad one, I think that's going to be VERY airline specific. For very long flights, I would tend to err on just checking anything potentially oversized. Essential items like medication should always go in the personal item. You may want to check out flyertalk.com for airline specific information -the folks over there tend to be a bit obsessive in their knowledge of the airlines.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 am

alfaspider wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:39 am
You may want to check out flyertalk.com for airline specific information -the folks over there tend to be a bit obsessive in their knowledge of the airlines.
Right, we Bogleheads are only obsessive and personal finance issues.
:wink:

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:15 pm

vineviz wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 am
I suspect that the OP, like me, travels much more domestically than they do internationally. I own several bags that meet US domestic carry-on dimensions, but I've never bought a bag specifically to meet the smaller international dimensions.
alfaspider wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:39 am
For overseas flights like the Ethiad one, I think that's going to be VERY airline specific. For very long flights, I would tend to err on just checking anything potentially oversized.

The OP is very clear that this question is about checked bags:

Just noticed that they have a maximum dimensions for checked luggages (70 cm x 50 cm x 38 cm). My 29" bag exceeds that total by couple of inches