Grind and Brew Coffee Makers - worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Grind and Brew Coffee Makers - worth it?

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:24 am

Any recommendations for a coffee maker that will automatically grind and brew your coffee? I'm considering getting one for simplicity but reviews on them seem mixed. So looking for advice from the coffee fanatics on here

ResearchMed

Re: Grind and Brew Coffee Makers - worth it?

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:31 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:24 am
Any recommendations for a coffee maker that will automatically grind and brew your coffee? I'm considering getting one for simplicity but reviews on them seem mixed. So looking for advice from the coffee fanatics on here
We had a great one, a very simple Cuisinart.
It wasn't expensive, was made of white plastic, and was SO easy to use and easy to clean.
I wish we had gotten several.

The newer ones (this was as of a few years ago, and then we gave up) were a horrible chore to clean, and also made a mess of the coffee and grounds much of the time.

We've ended up with a Nespresso that DH really enjoys, after trying a Keurig (coffee didn't get hot enough).
The Nespresso is also nice in that a pot isn't just sitting on a warmer for a lengthy time.

The aroma of the grinding and fresh brewing used to be a wonderful way to wake up. It had a timer so it could be set up to start automatically. That was *nice* :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:33 am

I have a Cuisinart model, and I would definitely not buy one again for a simple reason - it's a pain in the rear to clean, and in theory it should be cleaned between every brewing. Much easier to clean an external grinder (obviously you then lose the ability to set the grind/brew on a schedule).

Other than that, it works great. :D

I'm not sure if other models have a solution that is easier to clean, but it seems like it would be a challenge to design effectively (especially at a reasonable price point) - I would love for someone to prove me wrong and point me to my next coffee maker.

tydas

Post by tydas » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 am

Self-admitted coffee snob, dedicated bartaza grinder, scale and oxo on coffee maker...get beans from local shops and sometimes costco...little extra work making coffee each morning but i don't mind

bampf

Post by bampf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:55 am

Jura Capressa S9. Worth every penny and then some.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Good info. Sounds like the hassle to clean doesn't make the simplicity of a grind + brew worth it.
ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:31 am

We've ended up with a Nespresso that DH really enjoys, after trying a Keurig (coffee didn't get hot enough).
The Nespresso is also nice in that a pot isn't just sitting on a warmer for a lengthy time.
Was reading another thread where the Nespresso was well liked. I often enjoy a light roast so wonder if there's a good selection. I suppose I could also get the reusable ones but that kind of kills the point a bit.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:27 pm

Had a Cuisinart model about 10 years ago that was terrible. Grinder stopped working after I want to say a year, we returned it and got another one with the same problem.

Takes me about a minute to grind my beans each morning and add water. Not much of a time saver and as others have mentioned much more of a pain to clean

tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:47 pm

Just bought a Jura E8 last month. Expensive, but worth it. We wanted something fully automatic so that we could frequently use it, and not wait for it to heat, etc.

Ben10

Post by Ben10 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:08 pm

I tend to dislike machines that create unnecessary material waste, i.e., Keurig and Nespresso. I am interested in an automatic espresso type machine, like the Jura J8, I guess. A question for those users: do those machines make a cup of regular joe, in addition to the lattes, capuccinos, etc.?
Last edited by Ben10 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Ben10 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:08 pm
I tend to dislike machines that create unnecessary material waste, i.e., Keurig and Nespresso. I am interested in an automatic espresso type machine, like the Jura J8, I guess. A question for those users: do those machines make a cup of regular joe, in addition to the lattes, capuccinsos, etc.?
Yes--you can make an Americano.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:15 pm

I have a stand-alone Kitchen Aid burr grinder that has served me well for almost ten years. After grinding the coffee, I put it in a Chemex filter and use the pour over technique to make my coffee. Simplicity!
Retiree with a pension and a 60/40 taxable portfolio: Total Stock + Total Int'l + Total Bond + Interm Term Tax Exempt.

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Ben10 wrote:
I tend to dislike machines that create unnecessary material waste, i.e., Keurig and Nespresso. I am interested in an automatic espresso type machine, like the Jura J8, I guess. A question for those users: do those machines make a cup of regular joe, in addition to the lattes, capuccinsos, etc.?
Yes, they are programmable to control the grind, amount of coffee, and amount of water for each cup. We have been using a Jura for 17 years and pretty much always just make regular coffee and almost never make some fancy drink.

Once you get it dialed in to how you like your coffee, you just push a button and it comes out the same every time. We love it and miss our coffee maker when traveling.

They are expensive but you can save some money buying factory refurbished machines.

wholelattelove.com

Jura manufacturer refurbished

slayed

Post by slayed » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:27 pm

was considering the Miele CM6350 (it's the countertop version). anyone have a Miele and love it or hate it?

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Ben10 wrote:
I tend to dislike machines that create unnecessary material waste, i.e., Keurig and Nespresso. I am interested in an automatic espresso type machine, like the Jura J8, I guess. A question for those users: do those machines make a cup of regular joe, in addition to the lattes, capuccinos, etc.?
Yes, some do. I have a Krups EA9010 which grinds fresh beans and then can make regular coffee or, separately, Americanos. It can make another 15 types of specialty espresso and espresso+milk drinks.

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:39 pm

After doing the math on a Keurig vs a grind and brew, based on the amount we drink per day, I bought a DeLonghi Magnifica super automatic machine, it's going on around 9 years old now. Granted Keurigs have come down - both machine and pods, but I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of it many times over. Almost all of our guests that have a cup from it love the simplicity, etc. Have had a few relatives buy a similar model after visiting.

Even better the one I bought was factory refurbished, so had a fair amount of discount there. It is nice being able to dump the beans in the top every few days, fill with water, have it set to turn on right before we wake up, and simply push a button for on-demand coffee.

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:55 pm

OP, admitted coffee snob. I use a Breville Smart Grinder. I make coffee via a manual method with a "Clever". A Clever essentially makes a filtered french press. I get beans from a few roasters, but my favorite is in Montana called "Red Bird". I order roasted beans in 5lb bags.

When I retire (in 25 years) I hope to buy a roaster and roast my own beans.
bampf wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:55 am
Jura Capressa S9. Worth every penny and then some.
I'm jealous. Great machine. My employer has a location in Europe with one in the office :happy
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:59 pm

For the higher end super automatic machines what is the cleaning process like, especially for the used grinds? I assume you still need to empty and clean between uses?

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:07 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:59 pm
For the higher end super automatic machines what is the cleaning process like, especially for the used grinds? I assume you still need to empty and clean between uses?
There's a small container that collects the grounds - they're pushed into a small puck - and after 10 or so cups the machine says the container needs to be emptied. We typically save them for the garden.

Have to put it through a descaling process every 5-6 months, the machine lets me know when it's time. Descaler is about $10 for a bottle and lasts 4-5 times.

Maybe once a month I give it a good cleaning on the inside with our small vac, a few loose grounds in the interior, etc. Maintenance is next to nothing.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:07 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
The Krups machine tells you when to empty the grounds container and drip trays, although I typically do it before being prompted. Less often, the machine will prompt the user to initiate different cleaning cycles, based on the number and type (milk vs non-milk) of drinks made since the last cleaning cycle. One very significant advantage to the Krups, for me, is the absence of any milk tubing or containers to clean. The user puts the amount of milk needed for a particular drink into the destination cup; the machine adds espresso and steams or froths the milk drink in the cup. Other brands siphon milk from a separate container, and that container and any associated tubing has to be kept meticulously clean.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:19 pm

wilshuer wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:07 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
There's a small container that collects the grounds - they're pushed into a small puck - and after 10 or so cups the machine says the container needs to be emptied. We typically save them for the garden.

Have to put it through a descaling process every 5-6 months, the machine lets me know when it's time. Descaler is about $10 for a bottle and lasts 4-5 times.

Maybe once a month I give it a good cleaning on the inside with our small vac, a few loose grounds in the interior, etc. Maintenance is next to nothing.
I have a Gaggia Velasca, and it works well. Really more of an espresso machine, but you can do a lungo, and americano. Cleaning is simple. Pull out the main brew group, water collection tray, puck drawer, and one other part, rinse well, and set out to dry. I do once a week. Change the water filter after 500 brews, descale twice a year.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 pm

wilshuer wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:07 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:

Which superauto needs such little maintenance???
I have a Saeco, and am about to give up on it. It needs a major cleaning (remove brew group, etc) every time I empty the dregs box. The amount of unused grounds that spill out past the brew group is disappointing, but I have finally started to collect them in a plastic bag and use them for cold brew coffee. I get enough every two weeks for a pitcher of cold brew. I'm also disappointed by how small the portions are if I want a strong cup. My Saeco has a handle to raise to reduce the pressure from Expresso/Americano to a regular cup of coffee, but each time I do that, the next cup clogs. All in all I think I spend the same amount of time cleaning this thing as I would grinding & brewing each day, but I'm not forced to spend that time on any particular day...

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:46 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:15 pm
I have a stand-alone Kitchen Aid burr grinder that has served me well for almost ten years. After grinding the coffee, I put it in a Chemex filter and use the pour over technique to make my coffee. Simplicity!
This. A good burr grinder is the key. After that, any brewing method will do. I use French Press most days but pour over is good as well.

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:13 am

Saving$ wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 pm

I have a Saeco, and am about to give up on it. It needs a major cleaning (remove brew group, etc) every time I empty the dregs box. The amount of unused grounds that spill out past the brew group is disappointing, but I have finally started to collect them in a plastic bag and use them for cold brew coffee. I get enough every two weeks for a pitcher of cold brew. I'm also disappointed by how small the portions are if I want a strong cup. My Saeco has a handle to raise to reduce the pressure from Expresso/Americano to a regular cup of coffee, but each time I do that, the next cup clogs. All in all I think I spend the same amount of time cleaning this thing as I would grinding & brewing each day, but I'm not forced to spend that time on any particular day...
Mine is a DeLonghi EAM3400. A tip we've also learned is to keep a cup on it to capture the on/off rinse cycle water, it's only a few tablespoons, but quite easy to dump out as you're making a cup, keeps the tray clean.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:19 am

[/quote]
[/quote]

The Krups is mostly hands-off, apart from emptying the grounds collector and drip tray periodically. There is no brew group to remove or clean, and no milk container, fittings, or tubing to clean. When a cleaning cycle is required, I just push a button. There is a periodic requirement to remove and manually clean the steam wand, but that is both infrequently required and simple to do. Descaling is required, with the frequency determined by the hardness of your particular water supply (the machine came with a test strip and is calibrated accordingly). For me, it is required maybe annually. Equally infrequent are a water filter change in the water tank, and replacement of a small cleaning fluid container which supports the cleaning cycles. No complaints here regarding maintenance frequency or complexity.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:59 pm

wilshuer wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:13 am
Saving$ wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Mine is a DeLonghi EAM3400. A tip we've also learned is to keep a cup on it to capture the on/off rinse cycle water, it's only a few tablespoons, but quite easy to dump out as you're making a cup, keeps the tray clean.
Yes, I also keep a cup under it to capture the on/off rinse cycle. But that sure does not keep my tray clean - the tray fills via some sort of internal overspill. Every time I empty the dregs box the tray is also full, and dirty because the grounds that spill over the inside are down there also...

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:07 pm

I had a Cuisinart, and hated it. The grind was so coarse coffee was weak unless an absurd amount of coffee was used.

I hated it so much I put it in the basement and bought a Mr. Coffee. I gave away the Cuisinart when I moved.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:34 pm

I have a Saeco for last two years. And absolutely love it. We paid about $500 at Costco. Other reviewer said he has problems with theirs. But mine is trouble free. I probably to deep cleaning every two months and descale it 4-6 months when it notifies me. Only problem I had was that it would grind the beans and then dump it out without brewing the coffee. I called the tech support and it turned out that I need to make sure the sensor was clean. I had to do that only once in the two years.

When this one breaks, I will probably spend more money and may upgrade as these models were discontinued. Also we drink cappuccino, so that part is critical for us and I think there are better machines out there for getting a good solid foam.

b4real

Post by b4real » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 pm

We had a Delonghi superautomatic for about 7 years until downsizing and moving upon retiring in 2014. It served us well, making several cups/day. It still worked but was getting temperamental and was basically worn out. After moving, we got a stainless steel french press and grinder. It cost a small fraction of the Delonghi, only takes about a minute to prepare, makes great coffee, has nothing to break, and there is no maintenance. I was going to get a milk steamer for DW but she decided it was not necessary. I enjoyed the Delonghi but in retrospect it was an unnecessary overkill. We never had to get ours repaired but I understand it is quite expensive if needed.

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 pm

For those willing to gamble, the (long overdue) Spinn automatic might be something to consider... https://www.spinn.com/
I pre-ordered one 2-1/2 yrs ago, and they are waaay behind schedule, but say they are close to getting the kinks out; getting ready for their 2nd beta test, then full manufacturing. Time will tell!
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

sixty40

Post by sixty40 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:32 pm

It is definitely worth it.

We bought a Saeco Incanto Delux Superautomatic machine from Costco in 2008 or 2009, with over 10,000 cups brewed it is still going. Very little maintenance needed as others have said, put beans in the hopper, put water in the reservoir, hit a button and out comes freshly brewed espresso/coffee, when waste grind container get full after about 10 brews, take it out and dump grind and put it back in, wash out brew unit every few months, descale every 6-8 months. Ours us still going. We thought it was about to go late in 2016 so we bought another Saeco from costco, but after fiddling with it a little, it ended being a minor clog and it is still going, so I have had a brand new superautomatic in the garage waiting for this one to go, but it keeps on chugging along. Will hate to see it go when it finally konks out. About the only special thing we do is we use purified bottle water instead of tap water since our tap water is semi-hard, we have never used the water filter, and never had water problems. There seem to be a lot of moving parts so I was expecting about 3-4 yrs out of it, so we are definitely very happy with our machine.

I think you should get one, and I would look for a sale at Costco for its great return policy just in case.

Cop51

Post by Cop51 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:30 am

Jura A1 is what I have for about a year. My brother has the Jura E9 which has a milk container for lattes. A1 does just coffee or espresso.

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:21 pm

I finally gave up on waiting for the Spinn coffee maker, and bought a Delonghi Magnifica XS from Costco. It's a semi-automatic, with manual frothing if you want cappuccino. Very easy to use and clean. Only caveat is you can't use oily beans, as they'll stick in the shallow grinder feed, but Lavazza espresso beans work great. Very happy with this model!
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

tantive

Post by tantive » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:54 pm

tydas wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 am
Self-admitted coffee snob, dedicated bartaza grinder, scale and oxo on coffee maker...get beans from local shops and sometimes costco...little extra work making coffee each morning but i don't mind
My baratza has an integrated scale 😋

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:27 am

sleepysurf wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:21 pm
I finally gave up on waiting for the Spinn coffee maker, and bought a Delonghi Magnifica XS from Costco. It's a semi-automatic, with manual frothing if you want cappuccino. Very easy to use and clean. Only caveat is you can't use oily beans, as they'll stick in the shallow grinder feed, but Lavazza espresso beans work great. Very happy with this model!
That's a good thing about the oily beans ... oily beans is typically an indication of being over-roasted and likely has no to little origin flavor.

manuvns

Post by manuvns » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:55 am

i do it manually and love my DeLonghi EC155M Manual Espresso Machine. Cheap and Just as good

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 pm

XtremeSki2001 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:55 pm
Why wait? It's fun (at least I think so), and you get a better (fresher) product for dramatically less money. I'm running $5-7/lb for as good or better quality coffee than I used to pay $18-22/lb for. My roaster more than paid for itself in the first year.

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 pm
XtremeSki2001 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:55 pm
Why wait? It's fun (at least I think so), and you get a better (fresher) product for dramatically less money. I'm running $5-7/lb for as good or better quality coffee than I used to pay $18-22/lb for. My roaster more than paid for itself in the first year.
Why wait? 4 kids <= 5 :happy

What roaster are you using?

retire14

Pick a brand like Jura or Gaggia, etc..

Post by retire14 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Then go with a model that fits your budget. We had a Gaggia for 10 years, then replaced it with a Jura Z7. Worth every penny!

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:17 pm

XtremeSki2001 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 pm
Why wait? 4 kids <= 5 :happy

What roaster are you using?
Well that's your own damn fault. :D I'm using the GeneCafe. Takes about 30 minutes to do a half pound batch, and has no issues (despite not being recommended by the mfr) doing back-to-back-to-back roasts for hours on end, with very consistent results.

Post by alter » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:00 am

I use a stainless Cuisinart. I'm really happy with it. If you leave coffee in the pot though and not dump it, the moisture rises up and makes the grinder all cruddy so be sure and remember to dump the beans and excess coffee with an all-in-one model.