When is leaving your job that pays well a good idea?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: When is leaving your job that pays well a good idea?

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:16 am

I just quit (this week) a job I really didn't like that I worked for 5 months. Ideally, I would have stuck around longer or found a new job before quitting. Having savings gives you more freedom and options. If I knew I would only be making 1/2 on the next job, then I would think about it more carefully and try to tolerate it if I planned on continuing to work. If you plan to just retire, then I'd quit and not give it a second thought. Have you considered doing contract work (I'm not sure of your exact job)? It tends to pay better than salaried work and you can pick and choose projects and when/where you work.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:27 am

I agree with others...find a hobby. A lot..and I mean a LOT of people have soul crushing jobs and they also have low pay.

Im also curious what your net worth is without your house? You're too young to retire even if you move to a lcol area. Id say suck it up and work another 5 years...or move to a lcol area and find a new job. Find a new job first before you move!

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Part of the problem I think is the meme that started going around about "find your passion" and "love your job and you'll never work a day in your life" and all of that. Young people seem to think that's the norm, rather than the great exception. If their job isn't constantly challenging and entertaining them, they think there's something wrong.

They call it "work" not "fun" for a reason. That being said, look for ways to improve your situation at work. If you're bored, let your boss know that you're up for new challenges. That might lead to something. Look for new opportunities internally for "job rotation". People you don't really know at work, invite 'em out for lunch and talk.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Sharpematt wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm
I’ve already done this for more than a decade and can’t imagine a lifetime spent for 40 working years plopped in front of computer monitors at a desk.
You have that much equity and you plan to work for 30 more years? Why?

I'm assuming you have a financial spreadsheet indicating your desired FIRE date; perhaps it's time to readjust future spending expectations, given your sentiments.

There's no point in going back to school or switching careers if you feel bored at 30, and yet don't even dislike your job! Other people are waaaaaaay past that with their jobs, and yet can grind for years. You don't sound like a grinder. I think chances are good you will feel this way at your next stop, too.

So yes, in response to your last question, I think you need to toughen up. This is the real world where very, very few people wake up every day and are thrilled to go to work.

If I were you, I'd save like a mf for the next decade and then get out. Or, have kids and allow them to give you a sense of purpose at your job.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:57 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm
Part of the problem I think is the meme that started going around about "find your passion" and "love your job and you'll never work a day in your life" and all of that. Young people seem to think that's the norm, rather than the great exception. If their job isn't constantly challenging and entertaining them, they think there's something wrong.

They call it "work" not "fun" for a reason. That being said, look for ways to improve your situation at work. If you're bored, let your boss know that you're up for new challenges. That might lead to something. Look for new opportunities internally for "job rotation". People you don't really know at work, invite 'em out for lunch and talk.

I'm quitting my high paying job to "find my passion." :) I want to be the great exception.
I turned 30 this year.

GoofyOne

Post by GoofyOne » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:13 pm

My friend asked today if anyone ever posts on Bogleheads about retiring early and ending up not having enough....

gluskap

Post by gluskap » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Interesting...I'm also making $160k a year and wondering this exact same thing too. Only difference is I'm a little older 38 and have less net worth...probably at 1.3mil and have 1 kid. I only work about 40 hours a week but I have a soul draining commute of almost 3 hours a day. I think I've decided to just suck it up until maybe 45-50 when our house is paid off and find something less stressful. Good luck with your decision!

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:35 pm

I'd kill for a 40-hour/week job making six figures. As long as your job isn't destroying your physical health, stay the course. Many have it far, far worse.

tnr

Post by tnr » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:24 pm

I viewed my career as a long distance race, perhaps not a grueling marathon but still a long race. You cannot sprint the whole distance. One needs to constantly monitor their work:life balance and career goals and make adjustments as necessary. I tended to try and make many small adjustments in my career as opposed to a few huge ones. But everyone is different.

I can’t make a recommendation on how long you should stay on your current track. You’ve done extremely well financially which gives you more freedom. Good luck in whatever you decide.

youngin87

Post by youngin87 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:10 am

Studies show that happiness is a U curve throughout ones life. It starts high in the early 20's then declines gradually where it reaches a nadir at 45-50. It peaks again in the 60's.

What does this mean? Is it our careers that cause our unhappiness from 25-60? Or is it because our daily struggies with debts, kids, relationships, etc build up their toll throughout life until we figure out how to manage our stresses better as we age.

I'm been struggling with this issue as I've been trying to search for happiness and meaningfulness in life at my age of 30. I don't know the answer yet.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:44 am

It took a lot of suffering from an illness for me to "get it" and realize that we have "enough". If not for the suffering I would still be in the rat race stuck in my office staring at a computer screen all day. I recovered and I did not need to return to the rat race. My wife works full time but she has the option to go part time and still keep the health insurance. I can go back to work part time or full tine if for some reason we need the extra income because of a layoff or nasty recession. The part time or full time job I get doesn't need to be a high paying job.

I feel free at 42 years old.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:00 am

:idea:
youngin87 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:10 am
Studies show that happiness is a U curve throughout ones life. It starts high in the early 20's then declines gradually where it reaches a nadir at 45-50. It peaks again in the 60's.

What does this mean? Is it our careers that cause our unhappiness from 25-60? Or is it because our daily struggies with debts, kids, relationships, etc build up their toll throughout life until we figure out how to manage our stresses better as we age.

I'm been struggling with this issue as I've been trying to search for happiness and meaningfulness in life at my age of 30. I don't know the answer yet.
This video pretty much covers what you're saying. I suggest the OP watch it.

https://youtu.be/qMW6xgPgY4s

The Algebra of Happiness.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:31 am

It's a good idea to leave when the boss asks you to do something that's illegal, immoral or fattening. Or you get a better gig.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:27 pm

OP,

Work is 40/168 hours = not even 25% of your work week while you waste rest 75% thinking about it.
So,
1. Stop reading crap on the internet.
2. Minimize screen time apart from work.
3. You have ample time to do things you enjoy that will make you feel good apart from the 40 hour work.

Be true to your emotions - you cannot enjoy every moment of your life - this is the truth.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:30 pm

lostdog wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:00 am
:idea:
youngin87 wrote:

This video pretty much covers what you're saying. I suggest the OP watch it.

https://youtu.be/qMW6xgPgY4s

The Algebra of Happiness.
Excellent link. Thanks for sharing.

redbeard25

Post by redbeard25 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:57 am

It's crazy to read everyones responses.I'm 27 and well...not smart like most of you. I don't have a degree, not sure exactly what I want to do. I know I've gotta go back to school because making $2k a month sucks but I also need to be smart college loans. I've got enough to cover my expenses that's about it right now. I've heard people in 10x worse situations, so I consider myself lucky. I'm at a point where I need to get my head out my arse and figure something out...

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:47 am

Early 30s with that high of salary and net worth (assuming house is not included) does not seem believable.

doug1022

Post by doug1022 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:48 am

OP,

Perhaps take comfort in the fact that a) you have considerable net worth and as a result, some financial flexibility, and b) as you can tell from the volume of responses, there are many others out there who are in a similar situation (including myself), and significantly many, many more who suffer through tougher employment situations for significantly lower pay.

A few suggestions:
if your work week is truly only 40 hours (ex commuting time), consider carving out some time for fulfilling / rewarding endeavors such as volunteering, being active (sports, exercise) or finding new ways to lean in with your family.

if you haven't already, review the Bogleheads thread "tell me about your forties" which I found to be extremely enlightening with so many priceless words of wisdom:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=150764&start=100&hilit=forties

+ 1 on the 'Algebra of Happiness' link. I viewed that for the first time today, and it has given me strength as I head back to work tomorrow after a week's long vacation...

Continue your thought process around another moving to a new location. Can you plan to visit Nashville for a week or two to get a sense of the city? Perhaps mapping this out will create some energy and inspiration in your life.

Best of Luck

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:10 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:13 pm
ladders11 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 pm
I would be retired if I had $2 million.
At age 30? You're dreaming. A safe withdrawal rate at that age would probably not be more that 3%, so 60k a year for two (not sure if kids are involved).
Yes even if I were 30, and no I'm not dreaming. All through my 20's I never spent more than 30k per year. Even with some sort of lifestyle creep savings between 750k and 1m = I am retired and forget about it, no employment required.

I also could imagine getting aggressively into hobbies to the extent that those become a part-time income (tennis instructor, golf pro, artist, etc) which would lower that number.

However let's be clear, I've never had a lucrative or enjoyable career, and even though it has been up to 40 hours (max) it has driven me nuts at times.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:30 am

youngin87 wrote:

I don't really believe this. Admittedly I don't want kids and partly that's because I don't see many parents demonstrating anything aside from stress. However as far as job satisfaction is concerned, I do believe it starts out pretty high during your 20's and declines into your 30's.

Reflecting, at 23 I was really pretty pleased to be out in the world making, like $4k per month, having my own apartment and buying my own crap. I see this level of satisfaction in co-workers who are ~20's. I was keyed into some financial goals, like getting out of debt and establishing savings, and personal goals, like going to Europe and the Caribbean for the first time. However ten years later I have accomplished those goals, I make more money but it's hard to get past the idea I've done what I set out to do. Extracting a paycheck at whatever emotional cost isn't as big a deal as being respected and not poked and prodded, for example. Cultural fit at work and in the community became a bigger deal.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:30 am

I can speak to this.

I left a boring and well paying job in a Megacorp. Joined another Megacorp with the promise of a more interesting position, possibility of growth - but with 20% less pay. (Moved to TX, supposedly not a HCOL state)

Turns out the new job is even worse than the old one. Can't imagine how I'll get back to my previous income level.

Count your blessings.... and find something else to focus upon while you're at the well paying job!

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:48 am

ladders11 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:30 am
I don't really believe this. Admittedly I don't want kids and partly that's because I don't see many parents demonstrating anything aside from stress. However as far as job satisfaction is concerned, I do believe it starts out pretty high during your 20's and declines into your 30's.
You see the stress, but you probably don't see (and certainly don't experience) the parents as they see the look of pure wonder in a child's eyes when they are being told a story or a hug and an "I love you" when they go to work. Those experiences, while fleeting, are enough to fill up my emotional bank many times over.

Some of this discussion really ties more into an absence of meaning in ones life than it is about job satisfaction. We all live in communities with great needs all around us... it sounds like there are some great opportunities to pay if forward to others if you are so inclined. I usually get more out of those opportunities than I expected.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:58 am

Sharpematt wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm
I have a job that a like a decent amount but I often wonder if this is the peak happiness I can get out of life. I make about $160k and am in my early 30’s. My wife and I have around $2 million between investments and our house. Between our careers and investment income we make $260k annually with no kids. On paper this should be very good with only a bachelors degree, but a few issues keep creeping up to the surface:

1) Sitting at a desk for 40 hours per week can often feel soul crushing. I’ve already done this for more than a decade and can’t imagine a lifetime spent for 40 working years plopped in front of computer monitors at a desk.

2) I live in a city that is just okay, but don’t really love. I live here for the good job market but would ideally live in a number of other cities. Nashville looks like a place that fits my ideal lifestyle, but I know no one there.

My question to you older folks with more life experience: should I keep grinding in my situation for longer towards an early retirement, or look to move on sooner rather than later?

My dilemma is that if I switched jobs even in the same career path I’d probably make half the money due to being in a good situation. I also don’t dislike my job, but wonder if grass is greener in a new city doing work with less anxiety. Do I just need to toughen up?
If I were you (OP), I would stay with the good paying job until I am financially independent, which in your case maybe soon if not already, I guess. Then I would find a job or take a sabbatical leave and see what would be my feeling.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:33 am

ladders11 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:10 am
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:13 pm
ladders11 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 pm
I would be retired if I had $2 million.
At age 30? You're dreaming. A safe withdrawal rate at that age would probably not be more that 3%, so 60k a year for two (not sure if kids are involved).
Yes even if I were 30, and no I'm not dreaming. All through my 20's I never spent more than 30k per year. Even with some sort of lifestyle creep savings between 750k and 1m = I am retired and forget about it, no employment required.

I also could imagine getting aggressively into hobbies to the extent that those become a part-time income (tennis instructor, golf pro, artist, etc) which would lower that number.

However let's be clear, I've never had a lucrative or enjoyable career, and even though it has been up to 40 hours (max) it has driven me nuts at times.

Agree. $60k/yr is a lavish lifestyle.

bh7785

Post by bh7785 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:26 am

We've all been there. One of my best friend's was in the IT industry, making well over $100k annually while only working ~30 hours/week. He also felt it was soulcrushing, and after doing it for a number of years was able to save up a lot of money. 3 months ago he quit his job and moved to Japan to teach english for $30k/year salary. He seems pretty happy right now. He's 33 now.