"Dollar Tree Store" favorites

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DecumulatorDoc

Re: "Dollar Tree Store" favorites

Post by DecumulatorDoc » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:40 am

One of my favorites is the portable charcoal grill for $1. Great for camping or tailgating. Buy the lasagna pans (2 in a pack), top off with cooling rack which fits perfectly (2 in a pack), add charcoal and you're ready to go. Even get grill marks on your steaks, burgers, or dogs. Best part is when you finish just throw it away with no cleanup although I guess a true Boglehead would use it over and over again.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:49 am

Birthday and celebration balloons. Simple tools like pliers. Condiments. Pans for cooking turkeys.

Tim

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:52 am

Wethers candies and miscellaneous cards (birthday, sympathy etc).

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:08 am

Rupert wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:59 am
staythecourse wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:56 am
The toothpaste and deodorant and buy from their is the same product and cheaper per ounce then Target.

Good luck.
No, dollar store toothpaste is not the same product that you can buy at Target: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dolla ... oothpaste/

Again, I don't recommend buying anything at a true dollar store, i.e., a store where everything costs a dollar (stores such as Dollar General and Family Dollar are different), that is meant to be consumed by humans. Since you typically swallow a little bit of toothpaste when you brush, I'd include toothpaste in that category.
Nope all my products that I purchase from my dollar stores are the same ingredients and %. Any customer needs to do their own DD by reviewing the ingredients after purchase. That should be common sense (guess not). I did and it is the same prior to purchasing ANYTHING.

Common or uncommon sense will tell you why they are cheaper. They are either overstocked or soon to be expired. That is why they sell it cheaper. That way the companies save some of the potential lost revenue if they were to be thrown out instead. I believe your linked article says the same. That was obvious from me from the beginning.

No different then investing EVERYONE needs to do DD on EVERYTHING. No different then someone not reading the prospectus on an mutual fund before investing. Considering we live with Google readily available there is no reason not to do it.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:13 am

staythecourse wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:08 am
Rupert wrote:
staythecourse wrote:
The toothpaste and deodorant and buy from their is the same product and cheaper per ounce then Target.

Good luck.
No, dollar store toothpaste is not the same product that you can buy at Target: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dolla ... oothpaste/

Again, I don't recommend buying anything at a true dollar store, i.e., a store where everything costs a dollar (stores such as Dollar General and Family Dollar are different), that is meant to be consumed by humans. Since you typically swallow a little bit of toothpaste when you brush, I'd include toothpaste in that category.
Nope all my products that I purchase from my dollar stores are the same ingredients and %. Any customer needs to do their own DD by reviewing the ingredients after purchase. That should be common sense (guess not). I did and it is the same prior to purchasing ANYTHING.

Common or uncommon sense will tell you why they are cheaper. They are either overstocked or soon to be expired. That is why they sell it cheaper. That way the companies save some of the potential lost revenue if they were to be thrown out instead. I believe your linked article says the same. That was obvious from me from the beginning.

No different then investing EVERYONE needs to do DD on EVERYTHING. No different then someone not reading the prospectus on an mutual fund before investing. Considering we live with Google readily available there is no reason not to do it.

Good luck.
Just fyi to others who may not have clicked through and read the Snopes article: That's not all the linked article says. It also says dollar stores sell toothpaste manufactured for sale in other countries that may contain much higher fluoride levels than is authorized for sale in this country. (Edited to add: I think countries without fluoridated water permit higher levels of fluoride in toothpaste, but those higher levels would be toxic for someone who is already receiving fluoride via drinking water). So the Crest in dollar stores is not necessarily the same as the Crest in Target, Walmart, etc. It also says some Chinese-manufactured toothpaste containing toxic ingredients has been found on dollar store shelves. But, yes, of course, one should read the label on products to see what you're getting.
Last edited by Rupert on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:20 am

Rupert wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:13 am
staythecourse wrote:
Rupert wrote:
staythecourse wrote:

Good luck.

Good luck.
Just fyi to others who may not have clicked through and read the Snopes article: That's not all the linked article says. It also says dollar stores sell toothpaste manufactured for sale in other countries that may contain much higher fluoride levels than is authorized for sale in this country. So the Crest in dollar stores is not necessarily the same as the Crest in Target, Walmart, etc. It also says some Chinese-manufactured toothpaste containing toxic ingredients has been found on dollar store shelves. But, yes, of course, one should read the label on products to see what you're getting.
Agreed with that.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:09 am

Timely news item:
Parents buying school supplies for grammar schoolers would be wise to avoid Playskool crayons. The brand, sold at Dollar Tree, was found to have trace elements of asbestos.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asbestos-c ... oup-finds/
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

jminv

Post by jminv » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:12 am

Shower curtain liners for a dollar.

c1over8

Post by c1over8 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:15 am

greeting cards 2/$1
shower liners
plastic utensils for parties
occasionally the colored napkins for parties
peanut butter bar candies (I used to get them all the time at different places as a kid but they are hard to find nowadays)

gretah

Post by gretah » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 am

Reading glasses
Toilet paper
Baby shampoo (I used it as laundry soap)
Alcohol gel (like Purell)
Paper towels (all 2 - 3 rolls used a year)
Phone charger cords and plugs
Shower liner
Q tips
Unscented candles for when power goes out in winter
Small plastic kitchen bags. Earlier poster was right about them being too thin. I get the thickest ones offered. Larger bags cannot handle more than something light, like dry leaves.

Never batteries: they don't last

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:09 am
Timely news item:
Parents buying school supplies for grammar schoolers would be wise to avoid Playskool crayons. The brand, sold at Dollar Tree, was found to have trace elements of asbestos.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asbestos-c ... oup-finds/
Yes, I read the same thing in Wash Post this morning.

The Post article goes into more detail from Dollar Tree's rather emphatic denial about their Playskool crayons. Hmmmmm, makes you wonder about their corporate culture, doesn't it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 7325215042

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:38 pm

I used to get generic shaving cartridges that fit my proprietary razor, but they stopped making them. Switched to safety razor, but that's another story.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Buying cheap Asian made sunglasses at discount stores (like Dollar stores and others) is a bad idea. Good qaulity sun-glass lenses are designed to protect your eyes from bright sunlight as well as from the damaging spectrum of UV rays. Cheap knockoff brands sometimes use very cheap lenses that while dark have completely inadequate UV protection. This is regardless of what the label says on the sunglasses, because the paper sticker label claim is just as bogus as the lenses.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:17 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm
For those of you familiar with the Dollar Store where all items are $1, what do you buy there most often?
Grandchildren stuff.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Rupert wrote:
Some Dollar Tree stores.
Some tubes of toothpaste.

If you can't be bothered to read labels, don't purchase at Dollar Tree (or anywhere for that matter).

PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Helium filled balloons!

Also -
Gift bags
Platters/Plastic Food Containers I don't want returned to me for potluck-type events

Que1999

Post by Que1999 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Since this site is full of very knowledgeable people.... Can someone tell me if 'Tapatio' hot sauce sold here is legit? It's the 10oz container, but everywhere else it sells for around $5... Here $1. After reading about the toothpaste and other consumption goods sold at the dollar tree I'm wondering if there's any issues with this hot sauce as well.... It's a steal of a deal @ $1 for sure!!

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Que1999 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:09 pm
Since this site is full of very knowledgeable people.... Can someone tell me if 'Tapatio' hot sauce sold here is legit? It's the 10oz container, but everywhere else it sells for around $5... Here $1. After reading about the toothpaste and other consumption goods sold at the dollar tree I'm wondering if there's any issues with this hot sauce as well.... It's a steal of a deal @ $1 for sure!!
Products from store to store can vary. I would be surprised to learn that someone would go through the effort to counterfeit it though. I would suggest you compare the label and quantity to the other stores. You might trying buying a single bottle and do a taste test. Prices can vary by location, but it seems to me that the typical price is around $2-$3 for a 5oz bottle.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Greeting cards. I hate paying $5-$6 for a card at Target.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:18 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:25 pm
Que1999 wrote:
........trying buying a single bottle and do a taste test. Prices can vary by location, but it seems to me that the typical price is around $2-$3 for a 5oz bottle.
Target is advertising the 10 oz bottle as $1.59.

WalMart quotes $3.48 for a 32 ounce bottle.

You must be, paying so much, buying your hot sauce in the liquor store aisle :wink:

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Que1999 wrote:
Over the past five years, I have bought a lot of great items:

Gallon of Kraft Mayo - $1 - two months until expiration date
Toll House Cookie Dough - $1 - 75 cookies 10 days before expitation
Knorr Swiss Chicken Bouillon Cubes 100 ct - $1 - 3 years until expiration
T&A Artisan Lettuces - $1 - same expiration date sold at Sprouts for $2.99

However, it is always a crap shoot. You will go weeks and find only a few deals and other weeks ...

kacang

Post by kacang » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Foam core boards for crafting. They are several bucks each at craft shops

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:18 pm
JoMoney wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:25 pm
Que1999 wrote:
........trying buying a single bottle and do a taste test. Prices can vary by location, but it seems to me that the typical price is around $2-$3 for a 5oz bottle.
Target is advertising the 10 oz bottle as $1.59.

WalMart quotes $3.48 for a 32 ounce bottle.

You must be, paying so much, buying your hot sauce in the liquor store aisle :wink:
Looks like you're right... even online Walmart.com will ship 24 x 5oz bottles for $25.98 ... or $1.08 each, so the dollar store price isn't exactly a huge discount.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Go back and re=read that WalMart ad. Are you sure those are 24 bottles === Or,
24 packets of the stuff?

Are you using the reader glasses from Dollar Tree to read the WalMart ad...... :P :P :P :P :P

Edit: sorry, you're right, was looking at the first Google screen which was using the term "pack", which I mistook for an abbreviation for packets
Guess I am the guilty one - been in the liquor store aisle too much lately :wink: Using those cheap dollar store readers :oops:

shell921

Post by shell921 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:47 am

greeting cards
kitchen utensils.
kleenex
spray cleaner
plastic food storage bags
plastic food storage containers
gum & candy
mechanical pencils
gift bags & tissue paper

UncleBen

Post by UncleBen » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:04 am

Gift bags.
Totally Awesome LA stain remover
Comet
Klar and Danver liquid hand soap - $6-$7/Amazon
Helium balloons
Week old Sunday newspapers if needed for coupons
Foil sheets
Heavy Duty L ziplock storage bags with handles for craft projects/travel
Plastic baskets for closet organization
Stemless wine glasses to customize for gifts
Various candy - Cow Tails, Root Beer, Cinnamon

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 am

drawpoker wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:43 pm
UncleBen wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:04 am
.....Week old Sunday newspapers if needed for coupons
please explain how your local Dollar Tree store is able to give away old Sunday newspapers (or ANY newspaper for that matter)

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Jablean

Post by Jablean » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:11 am

Huge size ziplocks
mesh zippered delicate clothes wash bag
Fake Magic Eraser cleaners
Fingernail clippers
Fingernail files
Bathroom sink soap dispensers
Sudoku books before I got the app
pet dishes
kitchen gadgets
empty spray bottles
Gift bags
plug in deoderizers
travel size hand sanitizer
reading glasses
glass drinking glasses
lip balm
note pads

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Jablean wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:11 am

Since you submitted the longest list - have selected your's for a safety critique.

Huge size ziplocks
okay for crafts, supplies (see previous poster above) Definitely not for food storage
mesh zippered delicate clothes wash bag
most likely zipper will fail after a few washings
Fake Magic Eraser cleaners
Fake? Why buy fake when they carry real thing (Mr Clean brand)
Fingernail clippers
Probably okay to use
Fingernail files
safe
Bathroom sink soap dispensers
Plastic? Better pass them up
Sudoku books before I got the app
Safe
pet dishes
Whether plastic or ceramic, absolute no-no, please re-think this
kitchen gadgets
For contact with food you plan to eat? Nope
empty spray bottles
Probably okay
Gift bags
Might be the safest of all on this list
plug in deodorizers
Please un-plug immediately and toss. Just because no electrical fire yet does not rule it out
travel size hand sanitizer
50-50 rating here. Impossible to determine if authentic sans chemical lab analysis.
reading glasses
ConsumerReports says okay, eye doctors say no.
glass drinking glasses
Unsafe at any speed. Washing will not remove toxins that may leach out during use. (See pet dishes above)
lip balm
Uh, no.
note pads
The Best for Last, no known hazards here. Enjoy

(Disclaimer: I do not work for, or have any connection to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Am just a Certified Cynic)

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Oatmeal trailbars, greetings cards, reading glasses, Beer nuts, generic Zrytec (14 tabs for$1), cooking pans, oven cleaner, writing tablets, cleaning supplies, Chex mix.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

UncleBen

Post by UncleBen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:25 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 am
drawpoker wrote:
UncleBen wrote:
please explain how your local Dollar Tree store is able to give away old Sunday newspapers (or ANY newspaper for that matter)

Who said they give them away? They are, wait for it ------------------------------------------------------- $1.00.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:49 pm

made in USA Mead brand envelopes
greeting cards
Christmas gift bags
peanut brittle
small odd-size batteries though they tend to leak

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:10 pm

UncleBen wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:25 pm
drawpoker wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 am
drawpoker wrote:
UncleBen wrote:

Who said they give them away? They are, wait for it ------------------------------------------------------- $1.00.
Well, that is clearly the most revealing post in this thread! :shock: Wish our local Dollar Tree was able to do same.

For years, I have asked the supermarkets and the drugstores what they do with the unsold copies of Sunday's papers with the coupon inserts. Can they mark them down for people to buy?

Nope, they tell me they are not permitted to do that, they must turn them back in according to the contractual arrangement the store has with the distributor.

Be grateful your Dollar Tree is able to do this. As confirmed coupon hound I envy you :greedy

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Rupert wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:13 am
staythecourse wrote:
Rupert wrote:
staythecourse wrote:

Good luck.

Good luck.
Just fyi to others who may not have clicked through and read the Snopes article: That's not all the linked article says. It also says dollar stores sell toothpaste manufactured for sale in other countries that may contain much higher fluoride levels than is authorized for sale in this country. (Edited to add: I think countries without fluoridated water permit higher levels of fluoride in toothpaste, but those higher levels would be toxic for someone who is already receiving fluoride via drinking water). So the Crest in dollar stores is not necessarily the same as the Crest in Target, Walmart, etc. It also says some Chinese-manufactured toothpaste containing toxic ingredients has been found on dollar store shelves. But, yes, of course, one should read the label on products to see what you're getting.
This is what bothers me. How many other items are not what you may think? For example, generic Zyrtec is 14 tabs for $1 at my Dollar store. Does whomever manufactures them have to conform to FDA quality standards? Same with other OTC meds.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:40 pm

It is incredible what can be found in this store!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs