Best choice with oppenheimer

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
User avatar
fortfun
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Best choice with oppenheimer

Post by fortfun » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:22 pm

I have a small amount of money stuck at oppenheimer. My other choices are even worse. What's the best choice with oppenheimer:

https://www.oppenheimerfunds.com/investors/funds/mutual

I can move my other retirement funds around to get the correct AA.
Thanks

TwstdSista
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Best choice with oppenheimer

Post by TwstdSista » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Wow, that is rough.

I'd guess Main Street Fund A - MSIGX ER 0.94% for US Stock and Total Return Bond Fund A - OPIGX ER 0.75% for bonds. The international funds are all even higher, maybe use other accounts for those?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am can chime in....

123
Posts: 3727
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Best choice with oppenheimer

Post by 123 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Looking at those funds is like deciding which one of a group of thugs is the one you want to beat you up.

I'd have to agree on MSIGX, over the very long term it's return have come close to the S&P500, even though it's been better this year.

The Oppenheimer expense rations just make me cringe.

I'd try any way I could to move assets out of Oppenheimer and those expense ratios. Most of the expense ratios are over 1% and to think of someone sucking money out of my pocket at that rate for years just wouldn't let me sleep at night. (And those expense ratios aren't buying any spectacular performance either.)
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

User avatar
fortfun
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Best choice with oppenheimer

Post by fortfun » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm

TwstdSista wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm
Wow, that is rough.

I'd guess Main Street Fund A - MSIGX ER 0.94% for US Stock and Total Return Bond Fund A - OPIGX ER 0.75% for bonds. The international funds are all even higher, maybe use other accounts for those?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am can chime in....
Yes and my other 403b choices are even worse than oppenheimer. Luckily, I don't have much there but its stuck till I retire...

User avatar
fortfun
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Best choice with oppenheimer

Post by fortfun » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:34 pm

123 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:38 pm
Looking at those funds is like deciding which one of a group of thugs is the one you want to beat you up.

I'd have to agree on MSIGX, over the very long term it's return have come close to the S&P500, even though it's been better this year.

The Oppenheimer expense rations just make me cringe.

I'd try any way I could to move assets out of Oppenheimer and those expense ratios. Most of the expense ratios are over 1% and to think of someone sucking money out of my pocket at that rate for years just wouldn't let me sleep at night. (And those expense ratios aren't buying any spectacular performance either.)
Thanks. I just have to let this one go. Short of quitting my job, there isn't anything I can do about it. I don't know how they stay in business. Guess there must be a lot of clueless people like I was 25 years ago...

Elysium
Posts: 1256
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:22 pm

Re: Best choice with oppenheimer

Post by Elysium » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Actually, they are not all that bad. Sure, the expense ratios are on the high end, but the Global fund has done pretty well over the years. I know this because the institutional share class is in my spouse's retirement plan and I have tracked it for many years of having fairly consistent returns and low volatility.

anonenigma
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Best choice with oppenheimer

Post by anonenigma » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:27 am

Why is the money stuck at Oppenheimer if it's from a former employer?

The Wizard
Posts: 12282
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: Best choice with oppenheimer

Post by The Wizard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:33 am

anonenigma wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:27 am
Why is the money stuck at Oppenheimer if it's from a former employer?
OP did not say "former"...
Attempted new signature...

User avatar
fortfun
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Best choice with oppenheimer

Post by fortfun » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:31 pm

anonenigma wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:27 am
Why is the money stuck at Oppenheimer if it's from a former employer?
Current employer. Other 403b choices are worse. Luckily, I have 401k and 457 with good options but can't move this money to them because of IRS rules.

Post Reply