Share your net worth progression

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
michaeljc70
Posts: 3546
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:19 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:59 am
bligh wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:00 pm
Go Blue 99 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:55 am
slalom wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:20 am
Hoping to hit $1m this year, a bit late at age 38 but I’m single (well, unmarried) which doesn’t help. Potential wife is kind of spendy.
You know you're on Bogleheads when 38 is considered late to hit 2 comma status ;-)
Lol.. I thought the same thing when I read that.

That is 96th percentile based on the DQYDJ net worth percentile calculator for that age group. If that was a grade, it would be an A+.

Even half as much (500K) would have you at 92%. Which would still be an A.
I am truly curious to know if people making statements such as that - "hoping to hit $1m this year, a bit late at age 38" - realize how out of touch they are with reality or if it is kind of a humblebrag? FWIW, I'm currently 36 (wife is 31) and we'll likely be just a bit short of $1m in 2yrs and we feel absolutely fabulous about our current position, and without really having a clue about our networth (but, I believe, actually greatly underestimating it), we are (not so secretly) viewed as the "rich ones" among our family and circle of friends.
It's all relative. Hitting $1M in your upper 30s if you make 300k a year is not some big accomplishment in my view. If you make $75k, it is.

calisaver
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:33 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by calisaver » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:34 pm

perfin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:25 pm
I started tracking my net worth in 2008. 40s, two kids. I live in HCOL, fwiw.

2008 - $530,000
2009 - $720,000
2010 - $880,000
2011 - $1,200,000
2012 - $1,200,000
2013 - $1,700,000
2014 - $2,400,000
2015 - $3,500,000
2016 - $4,100,000
2017 - $5,800,000
I'm curious, how much of this is due to new money invested vs. growth? Great job, amazing progress!

calisaver
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:33 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by calisaver » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:42 pm

2012: 211k - Age 28
2013: 442k
2014: 553k
2015: 634k
2016: 802k
2017: 1.14M Age 33

Green Street
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Green Street » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 pm

calisaver wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:42 pm
2012: 211k - Age 28
2013: 442k
2014: 553k
2015: 634k
2016: 802k
2017: 1.14M Age 33
I think I’m close to your trajectory.
2010: 67k - Age 21
2011: 79k
2012: 103k
2013: 115k
2014: 129k
2015: 177k
2016: 261k
2017: 399k - age 28
Searching Through The FiRE

michaeljc70
Posts: 3546
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:16 pm

calisaver wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:34 pm
perfin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:25 pm
I started tracking my net worth in 2008. 40s, two kids. I live in HCOL, fwiw.

2008 - $530,000
2009 - $720,000
2010 - $880,000
2011 - $1,200,000
2012 - $1,200,000
2013 - $1,700,000
2014 - $2,400,000
2015 - $3,500,000
2016 - $4,100,000
2017 - $5,800,000
I'm curious, how much of this is due to new money invested vs. growth? Great job, amazing progress!
Maybe it was in Bitcoin? They have Google or Amazon stock options? :D

raisinsaregrapes
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by raisinsaregrapes » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:30 pm

I never actually tracked my net worth. Maybe I'll go start an Excel file to track this.

Age 31 - 430k (mostly home equity)

Thesaints
Posts: 1619
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Thesaints » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:42 pm

michaeljc70 wrote: Maybe it was in Bitcoin? They have Google or Amazon stock options? :D
Doesn’t look like it is stock market returns...

perfin
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:46 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by perfin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:26 am

calisaver wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:34 pm
perfin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:25 pm
I started tracking my net worth in 2008. 40s, two kids. I live in HCOL, fwiw.

2008 - $530,000
2009 - $720,000
2010 - $880,000
2011 - $1,200,000
2012 - $1,200,000
2013 - $1,700,000
2014 - $2,400,000
2015 - $3,500,000
2016 - $4,100,000
2017 - $5,800,000
I'm curious, how much of this is due to new money invested vs. growth? Great job, amazing progress!
It's tricky to figure out. If this helps:
- I don't invest in anything fancy. I'm a simple low cost index fund guy.
- I have seen some growth from company stock. I automatically sell anything that vests in favor of an index fund, but the unvested stock still benefited from the company doing well.
- Although my gross income went up a lot, we didn't make any lifestyle changes. Our taxes skyrocketed (obviously), but anything after I just plowed into savings.

perfin
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:46 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by perfin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:27 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:16 pm
calisaver wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:34 pm
perfin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:25 pm
I started tracking my net worth in 2008. 40s, two kids. I live in HCOL, fwiw.

2008 - $530,000
2009 - $720,000
2010 - $880,000
2011 - $1,200,000
2012 - $1,200,000
2013 - $1,700,000
2014 - $2,400,000
2015 - $3,500,000
2016 - $4,100,000
2017 - $5,800,000
I'm curious, how much of this is due to new money invested vs. growth? Great job, amazing progress!
Maybe it was in Bitcoin? They have Google or Amazon stock options? :D
No bitcoin. Not that I don't like gambling, but I keep it to blackjack in Vegas. ;-)

slalom
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:59 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by slalom » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:59 am

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:16 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:59 am
I am truly curious to know if people making statements such as that - "hoping to hit $1m this year, a bit late at age 38" - realize how out of touch they are with reality or if it is kind of a humblebrag? FWIW, I'm currently 36 (wife is 31) and we'll likely be just a bit short of $1m in 2yrs and we feel absolutely fabulous about our current position, and without really having a clue about our networth (but, I believe, actually greatly underestimating it), we are (not so secretly) viewed as the "rich ones" among our family and circle of friends.
I think it's mostly the fact that people on boggleheads are not an even cross-section of society, and people are comparing themselves to other people on the site and in their social circle rather than society at large. Perceptions of wealth are extremely context dependent.Traveling in a rural part of a developing country, I would feel fabulously wealthy. Sitting in a room full public company CEOs, I would feel rather poor.
Yes, exactly - it was not meant as a humblebrag. I'm in the SF Bay Area and in tech. I feel poor in my circle. Both by Bogleheads standards and by around-here standards, I consider that late to be hitting $1m. Obviously in the general population a large amount of people save barely anything or not at all, so I do know that reality.

As I said it also includes home equity (including housing market gains) so it's even less than it seems. I saved practically nothing between graduating college in 2001 and 2008. If I could go back, I'd choose a different school and dive into tech right away. It was always an interest of mine, I just wanted to do something with music and underestimated how hard it would be to make a living recording/producing it. OTOH it did lead to what I'm doing now, directly.

Can't change the past and can only move forward -- someone said a bit earlier how this thread will probably be a ghost town when the next big correction/bear market hits. Probably so. I'm trying to not rely on market gains. I make around $200k pre-tax all told, live in an insanely HCOL place, and my budget is a target of +$80k/year to net worth baseline (as in, assuming no gain or loss from any assets), and leads to zeroing out my mortgage in 8 years at age 46. At that time I'll be plowing more into the market, but who knows what it will look like by then.

User avatar
M_to_the_G
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by M_to_the_G » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Exactly. I'm probably close to the back of the pack among Bogleheads, with my $600K net worth at 38. If I were sitting at a dinner table with the average cross-section of folks here who work in tech, medicine, law, etc., I might indeed feel a bit self-conscious...

But if I were sitting around the dinner table with my relatives... well, let me paint you a picture: holiday dinners are usually spent at my aunt's house. Her one daughter (my cousin) and her husband have spent most of the past 20 years on public assistance. They work menial jobs, just enough to stay under the rules for getting food stamps, welfare, etc. They have lived in the same rickety trailer for 20 years. My aunt, bless her soul, is a sweetheart, but she isn't doing much better. I wouldn't dare mention my net worth around them for fear that they'd be in an uproar at my fabulous, decadent wealth.

So I'd hesitate to talk about my net worth around both groups...
"It’s basically the plot of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' If you stick around, doing nothing, while everyone around you ****s up, you’re going to win big." - John Oliver

Incendiary
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Incendiary » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:16 pm

Updating. Adding 12/31/17 and revising prior years.

12/31/17: $902,482.16
12/31/16: $645,428.88
12/31/15: $504,071.76
12/31/14: $431,920.75
12/31/13: $308,867.65
12/31/12: $210,378.05
12/31/11: $119,691.14
12/31/10: $89,634.44
12/31/09: $57,830.43
12/31/08: $34,354.68
12/31/07: $39,976.59
Incendiary wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:27 am
I'll play. Here's my wife's and my "self-made" brokerage valuation to date.

12/31/16: $637,993.40
12/31/15: $497,071.46
12/31/14: $437,150.36
12/31/13: $308,867.65
12/31/12: $210,378.05
12/31/11: $119,691.14
12/31/10: $89,634.44
12/31/09: $57,830.43
12/31/08: $34,354.68
12/31/07: $39,976.59

User avatar
Hawaiishrimp
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:45 am

Early 40s, two kids. I also live in HCOL. Didn't check NW until late 2nd half of 2017. :oops:

2018 - $2,135,405
Last edited by Hawaiishrimp on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.

Savio
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Savio » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:50 am

2012 - $16,101
2013 - $58,480
2014 - $85,778
2015 - $123,016
2016 - $245,449
2017 - $344,355

Stryker16
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Stryker16 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Just started this year. I am married with a baby on the way. My wife and I together make about 110k. She will be staying home with the baby so we will drop to about $85k.

12/31/2017 (28 years old and married) - $290k

Amy2017
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Amy2017 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:33 pm

ThreeBears wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:14 am
I suppose this is like anything else, where the people who respond are the people with the best stories . . . like the vacation posts that have the people who take amazing vacations.
This may not be relevant to the OP. But just want to point out that there are many situations where people who respond are not the people with the best stories. For example, cancer forums. People with the best recovery experience usually do not post because they have already moved on with their life. Therefore, most of the stories you read on those forums will be dreadful ones and they stress you out unnecessarily.

angelescrest
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 am
Location: The Third Coast

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by angelescrest » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:23 pm

This is as accurate as I can make out from my records:
1979 - $0
1980 - $0
1981 - $0
1982 - $0
1983 - $2
1984 - $3
1985 - $0
1986 - $15
1987 - $25
1988 - $8
1989 - $32
1990 - $84.50
1991 - $105.32
1992 - $0
1993 - $43.31
1994 - $136.98
1995 - $1025.00
1996 - $165.27

User avatar
NORDO
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:03 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by NORDO » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:20 pm

Have only tracked this closely enough to be reliable for a little over 5 years now.

2012 - $139K (age 27)
2013 - $211K
2014 - $275K
2015 - $313K
2016 - $416K
2017 - $539K

My net worth calculation uses purchase price of our house (which is worth more now, but I don't factor that in) less outstanding mortgage debt.

Andysgr
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:40 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Andysgr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:40 pm

2008 328k
2009 349k
2010 503k
2011 630k
2012 742k
2013 901k
2014 1.073M
2015 1.211M
2016 2.568M (1.2M Inheritance)
2017 2.92M
2018 3.35M

Current age 44

orjones
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by orjones » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:40 pm

Household figures. Just getting focused on doing this in line with our values, in connection with buying a home and moving jobs.
2017: $374,500 (age 36) (law - private sector)
2018: $515,900 (moved to public sector)

DrewDogs63
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by DrewDogs63 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:55 am

This thread is impressive. Amazing how individuals net worth have increased so quickly for many Bogleheads. I have always been a frugal individual, but didn't keep track of networth/savings rates until 2016:

Current Age- 34

2016- $347K
2017- $470K
2018(current) - $541K

Bogleheads.org has me on the right path now!

User avatar
ofcmetz
Posts: 2313
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by ofcmetz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am

If you had a retirement plan that was worth 200K if you just quit and transferred to an IRA, but was worth 60K a year in income for life starting at age 40 if you retired. How would you reflect it in your net worth? Because when you retire you take a 200K hit to your net worth, but receive an income stream that is far more valuable (about like a 1.3 million annuity).

And maybe it doesn't matter, but I have been tracking net worth for 14 years so I'd like to reflect it somehow if possible. As it stands now, I plan on just subtracting that 200K from my net worth.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.

User avatar
Edie
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Edie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:56 pm

ofcmetz wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am
If you had a retirement plan that was worth 200K if you just quit and transferred to an IRA, but was worth 60K a year in income for life starting at age 40 if you retired. How would you reflect it in your net worth? Because when you retire you take a 200K hit to your net worth, but receive an income stream that is far more valuable (about like a 1.3 million annuity).

And maybe it doesn't matter, but I have been tracking net worth for 14 years so I'd like to reflect it somehow if possible. As it stands now, I plan on just subtracting that 200K from my net worth.
Are you required to roll it into an IRA if you quit? Can you not leave it and use it as an income stream with a later "retirement date"?

DC3509
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:25 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by DC3509 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Am I the only one who thinks these threads are pretty useless, and are their own warped version of comparing yourself to others and keeping up with the Jones's? Everyone has individual circumstances in life that can impact their net worth -- level of education, type of job, student loan debt, inheritances, ability to save, asset allocations, divorces, illnesses, family circumstances, job loss, living in a HCOL versus a LCOL, buying versus renting, and the list goes on and on. If you find someone on here who has roughly the same circumstances as you -- then, yes, perhaps looking at a net worth tracker through the years is mildly helpful to give you some sense of where you stand -- even then I still worry that comparing yourself to someone else is not a healthy way to live. But the vast majority of us have extremely individualized circumstances that make any such comparisons apples to oranges -- maybe even apples to zebras in most cases. As was suggested by a few others here, there are some resources online that will tell you where you stand in terms of general net worth against the rest of society for your age bracket. Otherwise, isn't the more important inquiry -- what do you anticipate you will need in retirement? Do you have a plan to get there? If yes, are you on track? If you answer yes to those three questions, does anything else really matter?

TorusSpotter
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by TorusSpotter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:12 am

[edit]
Last edited by TorusSpotter on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

ponyboy
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:39 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by ponyboy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:29 am

DC3509 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 pm
Am I the only one who thinks these threads are pretty useless, and are their own warped version of comparing yourself to others and keeping up with the Jones's?
Yeah...for the most part its worthless. Just throwing number down doesnt paint a very clear picture. Would be nice if there were more details....especially when net worth increases significantly in a year or two. New job, massive bonus, inheritance, etc etc.

Maybe a summary of how someone went from this net worth to a 10 year later net worth, investing, saving more, new job, married someone rich, etc etc.

User avatar
ofcmetz
Posts: 2313
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by ofcmetz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 am

Edie wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:56 pm
ofcmetz wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am
If you had a retirement plan that was worth 200K if you just quit and transferred to an IRA, but was worth 60K a year in income for life starting at age 40 if you retired. How would you reflect it in your net worth? Because when you retire you take a 200K hit to your net worth, but receive an income stream that is far more valuable (about like a 1.3 million annuity).

And maybe it doesn't matter, but I have been tracking net worth for 14 years so I'd like to reflect it somehow if possible. As it stands now, I plan on just subtracting that 200K from my net worth.
Are you required to roll it into an IRA if you quit? Can you not leave it and use it as an income stream with a later "retirement date"?
No I'm not required to. That is correct, if you are vested and I am, then you can roll into income stream at a later date.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.

Accrual
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:22 pm
Location: Durham, NC.

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Accrual » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:39 am

DC3509 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 pm
Am I the only one who thinks these threads are pretty useless, and are their own warped version of comparing yourself to others and keeping up with the Jones's?
Even if people's year/year increases far outweigh mine, I still find this thread very motivating (as someone in their late 20s). I can see how if you're older it wouldn't have the same impact.

grettman
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by grettman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:16 am

DC3509 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 pm
Am I the only one who thinks these threads are pretty useless, and are their own warped version of comparing yourself to others and keeping up with the Jones's?
No. In fact, they are worse than useless because comparisons can lead you to change your individual behavior which may cause more harm than good.

What does my net worth say anything of use to someone other than me? I can't articulate in my net worth post the 100 or more variables that one needs to consider when looking at that number.

rxdawg21
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by rxdawg21 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:28 pm

techcrium wrote:
Tue May 13, 2014 10:14 am
I am curious to know how the bogleheads got wealthy, what was your salary + savings rate at your early age.

For me, had $3,000 or so at 18 (working various jobs)

saved up $30,000 at 23 (again various jobs and parents paid tuition)
This is when I purchased my first stock (JNJ at $54)

Currently:
$100,000 at 27 (100% equities and thanks to bull market; split between ETFS, indexes, and individual stocks)


EDIT: So for me, it is
2005: $3,000 (age 18) (worked at McD; KFC, etc earning $9/hour)
2010: $30,000 (age 23) (worked as intern in the summer earning $13-15/hour)
2014: $100,000 (age 27) (fulltime position earning 44,000 a year)

Edit: 2017 update
2017: $430,000 (age 30)(fulltime position earning $62,000 a year)
How in the world did your net worth quadruple in 3 years on your income. Either you are hitting your investments out of the park or there is something more to the story there.

My personal net worth is low due to student loan burdens of wife and I that we are improving on.
I don't take into account my pension from the govt which may significantly increase, however, at this point it is a small amount.
I am 29 and wife is 30.

Our net worth is around 147k not including a few K in equity on our cars or our DVC equity as I don't plan on selling it. A good portion of that overall net worth is housing equity in a relatively slow appreciation area, we bought our house for a good deal in a desirable for now part of town.
My wife's 150K in student loans we are hoping for PSLF make a significant dent in the net worth. My loans will be gone next month. Hers will hopefully be forgiven in 7 years (and if not hopefully a good portion)

RadAudit
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by RadAudit » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:58 pm

DC3509 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 pm
Am I the only one who thinks these threads are pretty useless, and are their own warped version of comparing yourself to others and keeping up with the Jones's? Everyone has individual circumstances in life that can impact their net worth -- level of education, type of job, student loan debt, inheritances, ability to save, asset allocations, divorces, illnesses, family circumstances, job loss, living in a HCOL versus a LCOL, buying versus renting, and the list goes on and on. If you find someone on here who has roughly the same circumstances as you -- then, yes, perhaps looking at a net worth tracker through the years is mildly helpful to give you some sense of where you stand -- even then I still worry that comparing yourself to someone else is not a healthy way to live. But the vast majority of us have extremely individualized circumstances that make any such comparisons apples to oranges -- maybe even apples to zebras in most cases. As was suggested by a few others here, there are some resources online that will tell you where you stand in terms of general net worth against the rest of society for your age bracket. Otherwise, isn't the more important inquiry -- what do you anticipate you will need in retirement? Do you have a plan to get there? If yes, are you on track? If you answer yes to those three questions, does anything else really matter?
+1

But, to answer the question:
1971 - 0, started work
2010 - enough, retired.
2018, so far - slightly more than that, still retired.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

SelfEmployed123
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by SelfEmployed123 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:29 pm

grettman wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:16 am
DC3509 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 pm
Am I the only one who thinks these threads are pretty useless, and are their own warped version of comparing yourself to others and keeping up with the Jones's?
No. In fact, they are worse than useless because comparisons can lead you to change your individual behavior which may cause more harm than good.

What does my net worth say anything of use to someone other than me? I can't articulate in my net worth post the 100 or more variables that one needs to consider when looking at that number.
I'm a young investor. I am literally in year 1 of the accumulation phase. I finally got out of student loan debt earlier this year and started to wrap my head around investing thanks to discovering this forum. Wish I would have gotten started MUCH earlier. That being said, I do think this thread is helpful for those of us who are just starting out. For me seeing the progression others have gone through as they've built their net worth is really inspiring and motivating. Obviously no one knows what the market will provide in the future, but bull or bear market everyone has to start somewhere. Thanks to those of you who have shared your journey. I hope to be able to do the same one day!

techcrium
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:09 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by techcrium » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 pm

rxdawg21 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:28 pm
techcrium wrote:
Tue May 13, 2014 10:14 am
I am curious to know how the bogleheads got wealthy, what was your salary + savings rate at your early age.

For me, had $3,000 or so at 18 (working various jobs)

saved up $30,000 at 23 (again various jobs and parents paid tuition)
This is when I purchased my first stock (JNJ at $54)

Currently:
$100,000 at 27 (100% equities and thanks to bull market; split between ETFS, indexes, and individual stocks)


EDIT: So for me, it is
2005: $3,000 (age 18) (worked at McD; KFC, etc earning $9/hour)
2010: $30,000 (age 23) (worked as intern in the summer earning $13-15/hour)
2014: $100,000 (age 27) (fulltime position earning 44,000 a year)

Edit: 2017 update
2017: $430,000 (age 30)(fulltime position earning $62,000 a year)
How in the world did your net worth quadruple in 3 years on your income. Either you are hitting your investments out of the park or there is something more to the story there.

My personal net worth is low due to student loan burdens of wife and I that we are improving on.
I don't take into account my pension from the govt which may significantly increase, however, at this point it is a small amount.
I am 29 and wife is 30.

Our net worth is around 147k not including a few K in equity on our cars or our DVC equity as I don't plan on selling it. A good portion of that overall net worth is housing equity in a relatively slow appreciation area, we bought our house for a good deal in a desirable for now part of town.
My wife's 150K in student loans we are hoping for PSLF make a significant dent in the net worth. My loans will be gone next month. Hers will hopefully be forgiven in 7 years (and if not hopefully a good portion)

2005: $3,000 (age 18) (worked at McD; KFC, etc earning $9/hour)
2010: $30,000 (age 23) (worked as intern in the summer earning $13-15/hour)
2014: $100,000 (age 27) (fulltime position earning 44,000 a year)
2017: $430,000 (age 30)(fulltime position earning $62,000 a year)
2018: $570,000 (age 31)(fulltime position earning $71,000 a year)

I did it through combination of intense savings, aggressive investing, and taking on alot of leverage. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else because I am still single without kids hence I was able to take on the aggression like that.
I have lived in a dump of a place paying $330 per month. I have never owned a new car. In fact, I kept putting off purchasing one until my old car broke down and I just started taking the bus to work. I try to save at least $2K per month to invest. I have maxed out my 1% credit card to invest. I have used margin to invest as well. However, right now, because the Federal rate has gone up alot, I am trying to pay that down.

If I lost my shirt (e.g. the entire $570K, the only person that suffers so far is myself, no big deal. I'm already used to "suffering" :P)

At this rate, I really need to start making more money because I am really losing motivation to work as my portfolio fluctuates more than my bi weekly pay in a single day.

User avatar
InvestorNewb
Posts: 1592
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by InvestorNewb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:29 pm

InvestorNewb wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:01 pm
Here are the amounts that I recall with a little story for each:

Age 22 - $30,000
I graduated university with $30k in savings. I was ahead of most of my peers because my parents paid for my schooling and I did not have to go into debt. After graduating, I spent the next few years working on my business that was already generating a small income of about $1k per month.

Age 26 - $100,000
My efforts proved to be valuable and the business saw an uphill trend in profit. I moved out of my parent's home late at age 26 with this amount saved. My mom was going to start charging my brother and I for rent (and rightfully so). We decided it was time to move out and we each got our own apartment.

Age 30 - $500,000
Between the ages of 26-30 my business had strong growth and I saved almost all of the profits. I was able to save the profits because I've been working a separate 9-5 job since the age of 24 to cover my expenses. I also use my day job as safety net in case the business goes to $0. The business began to see a downhill trend starting at age 30. At age 30, I also discovered this forum and invested most of my net worth into US stocks to compensate for the decline in active business income.

Age 33 - $900,000
By age 33, my account grew to $900k mostly due to the bull market and strong USD. I also save about 15k per year from my day job and put that into the market as well. I love saving and look forward to making contributions in my tax free/deferred accounts every year.

Age 34 (current) - $1,065,000
From the previous entry, the updated balance is mostly due to the continued bull market. I'm also working on revamping my business to make it profitable again. This isn't easy when I work 40 hours per week at my day job, but I'm squeezing time in on weekends to make it happen.
Wow - it's been exactly one year since I made the post above and I coincidentally happened to stumble upon it today. My update is below:

Age 35 (current) - $1,180,000
The updated balance is due to the continued bull market. It's amazing to see how money can grow when you save a lot of it and don't touch it. The project that I mentioned in my last entry is still in progress, but it is only 3 or 4 months away from completion. This year also marked a significant milestone in that after over a decade on contract in the public sector, I finally secured a permanent position with a pension. My job will continue to support my living expenses and I don't need to worry about being out of work or having to dip into my savings anymore.
Last edited by InvestorNewb on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

BJJ nerd
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by BJJ nerd » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:52 am

As someone who joined this forum relatively recently I find this thread very interesting and motivating. It proves out the beauty of compounding and what can be achieved over time.

Investments:

Age 30: ~400k (wish I would have started tracking earlier)
Age 34: 1.24m (includes unvested equity)

I have high tolerance for risk, and was able to juice up overall returns through use of leveraged funds / options. Have always been 100% invested in equities.

Count of Notre Dame
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Count of Notre Dame » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:33 am

Incendiary wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:18 am
Count of Notre Dame wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:43 pm
34-year old married couple with two kids. I'm in investment operations for a mutual fund complex and she's an OB-GYN doc.

https://imgur.com/a/Ax4I2
What are non taxable investments?
401ks and IRAs.

LITeacher
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by LITeacher » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:48 am

2011: $2,056 age 25
2012: $1,258
2013: $32,335
2014: $48,786
2015: $166,877
2016: $235,574
2017: $342,958 age 31

I record this every October (just an arbitrary month my wife and I chose) so I’ll add another year on in a couple months.

This number does include our house value however it uses the 370k value I purchased it for (I owe about 270k). Market value right now for the property is around $500k though but I don’t use that value when calculating because I rather be conservative,

Hard to say what our income was each year. Currently, household income is about 180k.

darrvao777
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by darrvao777 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Bull market and promotions at work (obviously this one is the big factor since I haven't been investing for very long) have worked wonders for me so far

This is probably not as fun an exercise during a recession

August 2015 = 200000
August 2016 = 500000
August 2017 = 1300000
August 2018 = 1800000

Glockenspiel
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Glockenspiel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Accrual wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:39 am
DC3509 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 pm
Am I the only one who thinks these threads are pretty useless, and are their own warped version of comparing yourself to others and keeping up with the Jones's?
Even if people's year/year increases far outweigh mine, I still find this thread very motivating (as someone in their late 20s). I can see how if you're older it wouldn't have the same impact.
I also find it motivating to see people with numbers similar to mine and watch how quickly they progressed from that number. It's amazing/motivating to see people gain hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in their net worth, even if the details aren't really known and don't match your own situation.

tesuzuki2002
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:08 pm
Am I doing good? :happy
Image
that depends on your age, expenses and planned retiremnet date...

cuihang
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:08 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by cuihang » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm

perfin wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:27 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:16 pm
calisaver wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:34 pm
perfin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:25 pm
I started tracking my net worth in 2008. 40s, two kids. I live in HCOL, fwiw.

2008 - $530,000
2009 - $720,000
2010 - $880,000
2011 - $1,200,000
2012 - $1,200,000
2013 - $1,700,000
2014 - $2,400,000
2015 - $3,500,000
2016 - $4,100,000
2017 - $5,800,000
I'm curious, how much of this is due to new money invested vs. growth? Great job, amazing progress!
Maybe it was in Bitcoin? They have Google or Amazon stock options? :D
No bitcoin. Not that I don't like gambling, but I keep it to blackjack in Vegas. ;-)
Very impressive! Ever thought of retiring early? :-)

CarpeDiem22
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:01 am

Coming from a low income-low expense country, I need only about USD 220K to retire. Here is how my NW has moved:

All amounts as on 31st Dec, in USD at current exchange rate (Aug 2018):

2013: 6K (age 27, fresh out of post-grad)
2014: 16K (age 28)
2015: 23K (age 29)
2016: 32K (age 30)
2017: 40K (age 31)
2018 YTD: 50K (still 31)

My wife has about 18K additional, so we're total at 68K, about 31% done towards goal. Never had more than 10% equity exposure before Jan 2017 due to lack of knowledge.

mnnice
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by mnnice » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 am

I’m not sure the comparison with others is useful, but it is interesting to see that with a bull market and continued contributions balances can take on a life of their own. Sure shows the power of compounding and how it works in an individual’s favor.

My DH had a paper notebook with his net worth from 1993 to about 2012 when he started using Mint. We merged finances about 1998. I would share it if it hadn’t burned in a house fire :(.

I do know that our net worth has grown about 40% in the last four years despite adding nearly no new money and using investments to help fund semi-retirement.

User avatar
Will do good
Posts: 675
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Will do good » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am

CarpeDiem22 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:01 am
Coming from a low income-low expense country, I need only about USD 220K to retire. Here is how my NW has moved:

All amounts as on 31st Dec, in USD at current exchange rate (Aug 2018):

2013: 6K (age 27, fresh out of post-grad)
2014: 16K (age 28)
2015: 23K (age 29)
2016: 32K (age 30)
2017: 40K (age 31)
2018 YTD: 50K (still 31)

My wife has about 18K additional, so we're total at 68K, about 31% done towards goal. Never had more than 10% equity exposure before Jan 2017 due to lack of knowledge.
Congrats on your progress, are you currently working in the US? if retired you plan to stay in the US or move back home?

CarpeDiem22
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Will do good wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am
CarpeDiem22 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:01 am
Coming from a low income-low expense country, I need only about USD 220K to retire. Here is how my NW has moved:

All amounts as on 31st Dec, in USD at current exchange rate (Aug 2018):

2013: 6K (age 27, fresh out of post-grad)
2014: 16K (age 28)
2015: 23K (age 29)
2016: 32K (age 30)
2017: 40K (age 31)
2018 YTD: 50K (still 31)

My wife has about 18K additional, so we're total at 68K, about 31% done towards goal. Never had more than 10% equity exposure before Jan 2017 due to lack of knowledge.
Congrats on your progress, are you currently working in the US? if retired you plan to stay in the US or move back home?
Thanks. No, I'm not in the US. I'd really be kicking myself if I saved only that much on a US post-grad income. :D I did work with a US org from offshore for a while. Had the most amazing boss. He was from Denver, working in Dallas. I left that job due to personal reasons.

sf_eca
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by sf_eca » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:06 am

anyone ever used statusmoney.com to compare net worth with different peer groups? i definitely found it interesting.

User avatar
M_to_the_G
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by M_to_the_G » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:04 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:45 am
Consider that very, very few members of the total population are posting in this thread.
I'm in the camp that finds this thread inspiring. I admire those who've done better than me, and I aspire to be more like them. Threads like this encourage me to set new goals and up the ante on my savings. I now have a goal of being a bona fide PAW by this time next year, which means a net worth of $740,000. I'm at about $650,000 now. I can do it, I think... if there's no major correction!

I'm NOT in the camp that gets discouraged by this thread or who resents those who've done better than me. I suspect most of the "total population" would fall in the latter category and thus would avoid a thread like this like the plague.
"It’s basically the plot of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' If you stick around, doing nothing, while everyone around you ****s up, you’re going to win big." - John Oliver

TwstdSista
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by TwstdSista » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:53 am

I like this thread, too! It reminds me that I spend too much, and helps me to curb that a little. I've already met my retirement contribution goals for this year, and I'm working towards next year's Roth contributions now (instead of starting January 1 with contributions for both last year and this year ahead of me!) Being ahead of the game is a HUGE win for me! This thread, and this forum, have been an inspiration for me. So thank you!

Although I do have to keep in mind that I am on the lower end of the earning scale around here -- we've never broken out of the 15%, now 12%, tax bracket... And my spending isn't terrible (as long as I'm not comparing myself to Mr. Money Mustache).

Post Reply