Buying Individuals Stocks In A Roth IRA?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
rattlenap

Buying Individuals Stocks In A Roth IRA?

Post by rattlenap »

Just curios, but can you buy individuals stocks in a Roth IRA at Vanguard?
livesoft

Re: Buying Individuals Stocks In A Roth IRA?

Post by livesoft »

Of course you can.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
wighty

Post by wighty »

livesoft wrote:Of course you can.
What? I haven't done much managing with my Roth but I was under the impression that I could not. Well then.
dopamineagonist

Post by dopamineagonist »

Yea you can I bought MasterCard one year and it worked out nicely
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Yes, provided you've got the brokerage account version at Vanguard. If you've had the Roth a long time you might have to hit the upgrade button.

I haven't done this at Vanguard as I quit messing with individual stocks but at TDAmeritrade where I used to hold my Roth I initially had nothing else.
BL

Post by BL »

Yes, but why would you?
As mentioned, you would have to have a brokerage account or update.
gundlached

Post by gundlached »

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."
-Jurassic Park
TBillT

Post by TBillT »

I have my brokerage account in Fidelity, but of course you can buy anything you want: ETFs , stocks , bonds, mutual funds, brokerage CD's, etc. I do a lot of bonds over the years.
mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 »

Tamarind wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 6:55 am Yes, provided you've got the brokerage account version at Vanguard. If you've had the Roth a long time you might have to hit the upgrade button.

I haven't done this at Vanguard as I quit messing with individual stocks but at TDAmeritrade where I used to hold my Roth I initially had nothing else.
There is no upgrade needed. I simply bought TSLA in a Roth and sold it in a Roth. No capital gains, no taxes due. Everything goes back to the settlement account. THIS is why buying an individual stock (although it isn't BG friendly) can easily be done in a Roth and cashed back to your settlement account, giving you a non-taxable and possibly nice gain in funds you can transfer into anything else you would want in the Roth. There is no need for a brokerage account or "upgrade" to anything unless it is some employer-sponsored plan. Even then, why not add it yourself instead of your employer, in which its already taxed? If I'm off base please share.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Yes you can. My Roth is $50k less than my wife's due to some poor picks before I discovered index funds. I prefer to keep my play money in a brokerage account now so I can at least harvest the losses and I don't do anything stupid with my precious Roth space.
gostars

Post by gostars »

mikeyzito22 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pm
Tamarind wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 6:55 am Yes, provided you've got the brokerage account version at Vanguard. If you've had the Roth a long time you might have to hit the upgrade button.

There is no upgrade needed. I simply bought TSLA in a Roth and sold it in a Roth. No capital gains, no taxes due. Everything goes back to the settlement account. THIS is why buying an individual stock (although it isn't BG friendly) can easily be done in a Roth and cashed back to your settlement account, giving you a non-taxable and possibly nice gain in funds you can transfer into anything else you would want in the Roth. There is no need for a brokerage account or "upgrade" to anything unless it is some employer-sponsored plan. Even then, why not add it yourself instead of your employer, in which its already taxed? If I'm off base please share.
Vanguard has some accounts that are mutual fund only and need to be upgraded to brokerage accounts in order to be able to buy anything else. This is a one-way conversion, and it is no longer possible to open a new mutual fund only account. There are some limitations on the brokerage accounts that some people don't like and they refuse to convert as a result; search the forum for Vanguard brokerage upgrade for many threads on it.
mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 »

gostars wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:52 pm
mikeyzito22 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Vanguard has some accounts that are mutual fund only and need to be upgraded to brokerage accounts in order to be able to buy anything else. This is a one-way conversion, and it is no longer possible to open a new mutual fund only account. There are some limitations on the brokerage accounts that some people don't like and they refuse to convert as a result; search the forum for Vanguard brokerage upgrade for many threads on it.
Eeeeeeek! I would hate that I couldn't just open my own Roth without it being completely available to whatever Vanguard offers. I did this as a civilian, not as an employer plan. Thanks for the reference :)
BL

Post by BL »

I believe any new V investor gets a brokerage account where you can buy any type of stock, fund, or ETF. Just a comment as you shouldn't have a problem doing this.

I have the old-fashioned mutual fund accounts, so would have to adjust a bit if I wanted to broaden my investments. It would not be a major problem, AFAIK.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

aristotelian wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 pm Yes you can. My Roth is $50k less than my wife's due to some poor picks before I discovered index funds. I prefer to keep my play money in a brokerage account now so I can at least harvest the losses and I don't do anything stupid with my precious Roth space.
This. Roth is for your future. Experiment in another type of account.