Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
doneat53

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Post by doneat53 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Jan 2019 for me!

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:53 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Ohhh, we all feel for you bluelight, buying a house "that had been neglected" two years before retirement :shock: Is this what the "Joys of Home Ownership" look like?? :wink:

Miriam, That is exactly what it looks like.... except those $1 should be $100.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:53 pm

doneat53 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 pm
Jan 2019 for me!
Whoopie! You're in the count-down phase of launching into the rest of your life! :D

You're on the list and when you know your R-Date, we'll add it on re-boot.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:15 pm

The latest update for the Retirement Class of 2019 - unbelievable but 2019 is ONLY 6 months away! :D

Lined up for Retirement: :happy
05 Jan - Canoesmith
__ Jan - Tycoon
__ Jan - 2pedals
__ Jan - doneat53 <<== Welcome to the Class!

01 Feb - dskelcy (62)
__ Feb - Spindrift (56 ?) <<== Welcome to the Class!

02 Apr - David Jay

__ Jun - Luv2Perform
__ Jun - jamacq

01 Jul - walterbird <<== Welcome to the Class!

__ Aug - spearo
__ Aug - 3504PIR <<== Welcome to the Class!
__ Aug - mike_slc <<== Welcome to the Class!

__ Sep - Barefootgirl

Retiring in TBD 2019:
__ ___ - ClaycordJCA (61 ?)
__ ___ - bluelight (62 ?) <<== Welcome to the Class!

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Good luck to the upcoming Retirement Class of 2019! :beer Who will be our first graduate :?:
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

walterbird

Post by walterbird » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:38 pm

July 1st 2019 for me!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:44 pm

walterbird wrote: July 1st 2019 for me!
You're on The List, Walterbird :D Less than a year to go!

kacang

Post by kacang » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:46 pm

I think I'll do it in April 2019. Was ready to ER last month when work situation was getting untenable. But things eased up just as I was about to resign, so I decided to stay and see some milestones through.

Thanks to what I've learned here over the last few months, my spreadsheets say we're ok numbers-wise, but it doesn't feel real (when does it start feeling real?). Luckily DH wants to work for a few more years, so we'll ease into ER. I know what I want to do immediately - spend more time with our younger kid before he leaves for college, take care of aging relatives, go back to school & pursue some long-neglected hobbies/interests.

It is such a big leap, I'm excited and nervous.

Osprey

Post by Osprey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:46 am

January 2019 is it for me! Do feel like a kid waiting for summer vacation.

dskelcy

Post by dskelcy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Osprey wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:46 am
January 2019 is it for me! Do feel like a kid waiting for summer vacation.
I feel like a kid who is going to Disneyland and who can’t wait to go!

MROCTOBER

Post by MROCTOBER » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:42 pm

July 2019
Turn 62 in July

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:27 pm

MROCTOBER wrote: July 2019
Turn 62 in July
Welcome to the Bogleheads!

Your first post MROCTOBER is your Retirement Roll Call announcement :happy But how were you able to gets all your ducks in line and amass your great fortune :moneybag without us all these years?

You're on The List - please let everyone know how you're planning your retirement portfolio and what you plan to do with your new freedom 8-)

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:55 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:51 am

Assuming you already have enough to retire perhaps you should try not trying to save every penny but take some of your paycheck and go on a great vacation or buy something you have really been wanting. That might help you figure if you are wanting to retire because you want the additional free time or are just exhausted from the constant pressure to save and skimp for retirement. If you already have enough to retire today then each month you pay your monthly expenses out of a paycheck instead of your portfolio is like saving even if you don't add a dime to your savings because it is one less month you portfolio will need to fund. I think sometimes people don't like their job because they don't feel their paycheck is getting them anything because they are so focused on saving. Whereas they know they will spend what they saved in retirement so it seems more rewarding. Now that you are financially independent you can consider letting yourself enjoy a little more of the fruits of your labor today instead of stashing it all away for tomorrow. You might decide to work a little longer or maybe it will confirm your feeling it is time to retire.

The thing driving me to consider retirement is the feeling I need to get on with doing some of the things I want to do because they will be come physically too difficult with age. So if I pull the trigger as planned it will be because I won't have found a way to balance pursuing those ambitions with work. If I end up not retiring then it will because I have managed to strike a balance or I am too terrified of not having my paycheck come in every month.
I am looking forward to your finding that way soon.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 pm

kacang wrote: I think I'll do it in April 2019. Was ready to ER last month when work situation was getting untenable. But things eased up just as I was about to resign, so I decided to stay and see some milestones through.

Thanks to what I've learned here over the last few months, my spreadsheets say we're ok numbers-wise, but it doesn't feel real (when does it start feeling real?). Luckily DH wants to work for a few more years, so we'll ease into ER. I know what I want to do immediately - spend more time with our younger kid before he leaves for college, take care of aging relatives, go back to school & pursue some long-neglected hobbies/interests.

It is such a big leap, I'm excited and nervous.
Ok Kacang, you're in for April 2019, 9 months from now, as long as it takes to have a baby :D

You asked "when does it start feeling real?" and you're "excited and nervous." You're in the Retirement Red Zone, so here are some helpful threads to quiet the nerves and keep the excitement up. Never too early to do some planning.

This thread Retirement - Ten Key Years {Retirement Red Zone}+Summary is a gem by forum member Peter Foley, who wrote chapter 1, "The Retirement Planning Process," in the Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning.

This thread How Old Habits Can Sabotage Retirement is a gem by forum member mlebuf (Michael LeBoeuf) who wrote The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing along with Taylor and Mel.

kacang

Post by kacang » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:18 pm

9 months! I know that drill.

Those posts are full of wisdom. I've skimmed them before and thanks to your reminder, re-read them again and gained new insights. Tagging them for future reference.

Ten Key Years - good list of specifics, we'll have to do the Ten Years in accelerated mode then :)

Spot on about old habits, the hardest is giving up the security of a paycheck stream. Corroborating my various projections with data over the next years will help me feel more secure, that it isn't a theoretical spreadsheet exercise that I can retire (and thus more real). Along with that, there's the shift from saving to spending. Once retired, I plan to cut myself an "allowance check" every month from our joint account, at least initially, to help with the mindset shift. That's money that I have rationalized that I can spend, even without my own income stream.

Only 3 trimesters to go.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:41 pm

Osprey wrote: January 2019 is it for me! Do feel like a kid waiting for summer vacation.
dskelcy wrote: I feel like a kid who is going to Disneyland and who can’t wait to go!
Congratulations Osprey, you're on THE LIST for January 2019! It will be here before you know it! You and dskelcy can just wear these very trendy mouse ears to work every day to keep you company before your retirement "vacation" is HERE 8-)

Castanea_d.

Post by Castanea_d. » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:55 pm

What an interesting feeling to see “Retirement Class of 2019” and think “Uh, that’s me.”

Most likely date: July 31, 2019
Backup date: Dec. 31, 2019

I’ve had a good career as a church organist/choirmaster, starting my nineteenth choir season at my current parish. I’ve been counting the weeks for a while, some days wishing it were not so soon, other days hoping for it and wondering if I can hold on that long.

We have plenty of money and could have retired years ago from that point of view. I am still in good health and still mostly enjoy the work, but for the last year or so as an organist have been battling the “yips.” They aren’t just a problem for golfers; they affect musicians and doubtless people in many other fields. Most Sundays I still play well, but there are some when things are pretty bad, the equivalent of six-putting a green. I have some workarounds, such as improvising more often instead of playing repertoire, but it is a definite sign that I’d best put my house in order and close things out.

“Putting our house in order” is one of the big holdups: my wife and I haven’t yet decided where we want to live, except that it is not where we are now. And that is the main reason for setting a December backup date, in case we haven’t settled on this by next summer when our apartment lease expires. What we have done (especially me) is greatly reduce the amount of stuff we’ll have to move; I worked through the Kon-Marie method of “tidying” and now have only about half as many possessions as I did a year ago. Especially books and papers.

The choirmaster side of my work is still going well, probably the best it has in my career. But it gets harder every year to muster the energy for the long hours and extra services of Christmas and Holy Week, and I find myself sleeping all day on many of my days off, pretty much all of them in December and Lent.

Samuel Johnson, in Number 207 of the Rambler, what proved to be the penultimate number of that journal:
He that is himself weary will soon weary the publick. Let him therefore lay down his employment, whatever it be, who can no longer exert his former activity or attention; let him not endeavor to struggle with censure, or obstinately infest the stage till a general hiss commands him to depart.

cogitan

Post by cogitan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:48 pm

First week of January. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Castanea_d. wrote: What an interesting feeling to see “Retirement Class of 2019” and think “Uh, that’s me.”

Most likely date: July 31, 2019
Backup date: Dec. 31, 2019

I’ve had a good career as a church organist/choirmaster, starting my nineteenth choir season at my current parish. I’ve been counting the weeks for a while, some days wishing it were not so soon, other days hoping for it and wondering if I can hold on that long.

We have plenty of money and could have retired years ago from that point of view. I am still in good health and still mostly enjoy the work, but for the last year or so as an organist have been battling the “yips.” They aren’t just a problem for golfers; they affect musicians and doubtless people in many other fields. Most Sundays I still play well, but there are some when things are pretty bad, the equivalent of six-putting a green. I have some workarounds, such as improvising more often instead of playing repertoire, but it is a definite sign that I’d best put my house in order and close things out. . . .

The choirmaster side of my work is still going well, probably the best it has in my career. But it gets harder every year to muster the energy for the long hours and extra services of Christmas and Holy Week, and I find myself sleeping all day on many of my days off, pretty much all of them in December and Lent.

Samuel Johnson, in Number 207 of the Rambler, what proved to be the penultimate number of that journal:
He that is himself weary will soon weary the publick. Let him therefore lay down his employment, whatever it be, who can no longer exert his former activity or attention; let him not endeavor to struggle with censure, or obstinately infest the stage till a general hiss commands him to depart.

Castanea_d - what a beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us and for your very poignant quote from Samuel Johnson.

A beautiful post about growing older and being unable to perform one's duties and job on the same high level we used to. Seems this realization is both sad and liberating - we are saddened by the realization we're over the hill :shock: but liberated because we're over that hill and onward to the next phase of our life :happy

Is it true that Real Organists have to play with their feet as well as their fingers and hands? It must be a dizzying multi-tasking experience. No wonder it can be hard to maintain this exquisite coordination for many, many years at an optimum level, especially as we, uh, age :shock:

For me, listening to an orchestra play Bach and to organists play Bach's pieces is an exhilarating experience. I can only imagine how AWESOME it must have been to hear him play in those spacious, towering Cathedrals back in the 1600-1700's when ordinary life was, well, more ordinary and less noisy. Even now, to hear complicated classical music played by a real organist on a real organ is an awesome experience.

I'm sure you nourished the spirits and emotions of so many fortunate people who have heard you play over the years.

And if you now miss a note or play the wrong note - well, does it really matter in the long run? Will others even know, will the purpose of the music be ruined? and frankly, if they quibble, well, let them play the piece next time :wink:

After a long stellar career in a most difficult field, I'm sure you can be proud of your accomplishments and the uplifting impact you had on so many people of all ages. You're ending your career on an up-note, secure that you lead a life of good work, and that's what counts. And also, good retirement planning has made everything possible 8-)

castanea_d wrote:“Putting our house in order” is one of the big holdups: my wife and I haven’t yet decided where we want to live, except that it is not where we are now. And that is the main reason for setting a December backup date, in case we haven’t settled on this by next summer when our apartment lease expires. What we have done (especially me) is greatly reduce the amount of stuff we’ll have to move; I worked through the Kon-Marie method of “tidying” and now have only about half as many possessions as I did a year ago. Especially books and papers.
Now, about this decluttering you've been doing for the last year - your fellow Frustrated Declutterers here on Bogleheads would like to hear your secrets :mrgreen: Yes we know, "brings us joy" - but what about the memories . . .

Castanea_d, best wishes for a very enjoyable retirement :happy

We'll add you to our Roll Call for July 2019, but if - as most likely will happen - your employer is in despair and cannot find anyone near as talented as you to replace you - we'll re-boot you to December 2019.
:sharebeer

Castanea_d.

Post by Castanea_d. » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Cogitan, good wishes! Just a few more months.

Miriam2, thank you for the kind words - and not just to me, but the encouragement you have spread far and wide throughout this part of the Bogleheads. Retirement is a little scary (maybe a whole lot scary) and definitely a big change, and your encouragement is making it easier for people, including me.
And if you now miss a note or play the wrong note - well, does it really matter in the long run? Will others even know, will the purpose of the music be ruined? and frankly, if they quibble, well, let them play the piece next time :wink:
This is true. Those who do know that something was wrong are generally the ones who are wishing you well. There are a couple of fine organists and other professional musicians in my congregation and they have always been very supportive. There are also those who criticize everything, but I tuned them out a long time ago.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:23 pm

cogitan wrote: First week of January. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Hi cogitan! Welcome to The Retirement Class of 2019 - why, you just might be our first graduate! Why, you'll then have time to spend all of 2019 on your favorite forum helping all your fellow Bogleheads who are still stuck in the tunnel :mrgreen:

Are you going to front-load your 401k that first week or are you going to PUNCH OUT? :wink:

nesdog

Post by nesdog » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Today I met with my CFO and let her know that I will be retiring at the end of June 2019. Since I work at a school (staff-IT) , that covers this final school year for me. By June I will be in my 18th year...best job I've ever had by far. Honestly, it was bittersweet talking with her as I really like where I'm at, but.....life calls. Ten more months and then the financial sweating begins!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:37 am

Castanea_d. wrote: Miriam2, thank you for the kind words - and not just to me, but the encouragement you have spread far and wide throughout this part of the Bogleheads. Retirement is a little scary (maybe a whole lot scary) and definitely a big change, and your encouragement is making it easier for people, including me.
Thank you for your thoughts!

Your fellow Bogleheads always provide a Signal Flag - "Need Help, Send Whiskey" - for those who find their impending retirement a little scary. Just hoist it up and we'll send help, perhaps a big floppy Sheepdog with whiskey or Taylor with assurances your snappy Three-Fund Portfolio will sustain you in retirement 8-)

Here's your signal flag for "Whiskey - Help! Need assistance!" http://www.flags.com/whiskey-flag/

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:44 pm

nesdog wrote: Today I met with my CFO and let her know that I will be retiring at the end of June 2019. Since I work at a school (staff-IT) , that covers this final school year for me. By June I will be in my 18th year...best job I've ever had by far. Honestly, it was bittersweet talking with her as I really like where I'm at, but.....life calls. Ten more months and then the financial sweating begins!
Another bittersweet retirement story that leaves us weepy :( Retiring from "the best job I've ever had by far" is truly a pulling emotional experience. A wonderful job becomes part of our life and retiring means we are leaving that life and beginning another, life is moving on and change is upon us, we are retiring which means we are getting older . . . .
nesdog wrote:Ten more months and then the financial sweating begins!
Well, you've come to the right place for financial sweating :D

Your fellow Bogleheads have just the answer - see above post for our signal flag "Need help, Send Whiskey" - or you could simply post your retirement financial plans and ask a Q as a new thread and receive some ideas, and hopefully some assurances.

You're on the Roll Call for end of June 2019, please let us know the date and your retirement age if you choose :D

nesdog

Post by nesdog » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:44 pm
nesdog wrote: Today I met with my CFO and let her know that I will be retiring at the end of June 2019. Since I work at a school (staff-IT) , that covers this final school year for me. By June I will be in my 18th year...best job I've ever had by far. Honestly, it was bittersweet talking with her as I really like where I'm at, but.....life calls. Ten more months and then the financial sweating begins!
Another bittersweet retirement story that leaves us weepy :( Retiring from "the best job I've ever had by far" is truly a pulling emotional experience. A wonderful job becomes part of our life and retiring means we are leaving that life and beginning another, life is moving on and change is upon us, we are retiring which means we are getting older . . . .

We are getting older? Oh shoot! Wasn't really paying attention

nesdog wrote:Ten more months and then the financial sweating begins!
Well, you've come to the right place for financial sweating :D

I've run the spreadsheets at least a hundred times! and more in my head. Despite everything coming out fine, I still have the nagging doubts. Guess it's more fear that once I leave this job, I really couldn't go back. So I'm so cautious as the breadwinner.

Your fellow Bogleheads have just the answer - see above post for our signal flag "Need help, Send Whiskey" - or you could simply post your retirement financial plans and ask a Q as a new thread and receive some ideas, and hopefully some assurances.

You're on the Roll Call for end of June 2019, please let us know the date and your retirement age if you choose :D

June 28, 2019. I should have six weeks of vacation banked by then so that will help with the transition. I will be 65-1/2. My wife is 60 and will be retired this December. Since I work at a school, I'm going to ask for a Senior Class of '19 t-shirt!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:50 pm

mike_slc wrote: I'll hit my number in Aug 2019, but I might join the OMY club anyway, so... maybe? Is maybe enough to get me on the list? Depends on all the usual stuff - market conditions, working conditions, money on the table, general levels of bravery and cowardice, etc. I'll be 42.
Hi mike_slc - we put you on the list for Aug 2019 and if you need to re-boot just holler :D

At age 42 you'll probably be our youngest graduate, but then, you'll probably be our youngest graduate even at age 43, 44, 45, etc - so no rush :wink: Also you may take the award as our second-most senior graduate, since you joined this Great Forum in May 2008, a little over a year after it became Bogleheads.org. Your retirement portfolio must be awesome! :D

Kcr8n

Post by Kcr8n » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:10 am

March 2019 for me !!! Goodbye tension, hello pension !!! Gettin out at 60 !!!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:30 pm

3504PIR wrote: Last day at my job beginning at the end of May to mid June timeframe. I'll officially be off the books by the end of August. Very much looking forward to "the day" and will be doing #3, just fading away. I work at a remote location from my headquarters so fading away won't be that tough.
Congratulations 3504PIR and welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Class! Let us know "the day" but we'll pencil you in for the end of May, less than a year away :D

Are you sure you'll be "fading away" :wink: I'll bet you have some interesting retirement plans - and considering all the great things you've done for your employer, if you just fade away, they'll be looking all over for you - where'd that guy go? you know, what's-his-name, where is he, what happened to him, you remember that fellow, that guy who always talked about retirement accounts? :greedy

chevre

Post by chevre » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 pm

Retirement date: November 21, 2019 at age 69.
Planning to have plenty of time to prepare for the Thanksgiving feast.
Goodbye to stress.
Grateful to the Bogleheads for helping me organize my thinking about my finances
Chelli

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Kcr8n wrote: March 2019 for me !!! Goodbye tension, hello pension !!! Gettin out at 60 !!!
Congratulations Kcr8n and a big welcome to our Retirement gang! "Goodbye tension, hello pension" - we feel your delight! Age 60 is a great time to retire - actually, anytime is a great time to retire, heh heh :mrgreen:

Best wishes and let everyone know what your retirement plans are. Here's an idea :D

not_slow_n_steady

Post by not_slow_n_steady » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:41 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:48 pm
The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019 is now open!

"We're off to relax from the daily grind
And leaving the 8 to 5 behind
No more meetings, no more skypes
No more listening to business gripes."
You're a veritable poet! Love it!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:47 pm

not_slow_n_steady wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019 is now open!

"We're off to relax from the daily grind
And leaving the 8 to 5 behind
No more meetings, no more skypes
No more listening to business gripes."
You're a veritable poet! Love it!
Thanks! but not quite - I lifted it from my office HR department :mrgreen:

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:45 pm

chevre wrote: Retirement date: November 21, 2019 at age 69.
Planning to have plenty of time to prepare for the Thanksgiving feast.
Great! You're on our Roll Call!
But wait - if you retire on Nov 21, 2019, that's on Thanksgiving - and if that gives you plenty of time to prepare for your Thanksgiving feast, you must be One Super Organized Whirlwind of a Cook :D Please share your secret :mrgreen:
chevre wrote:Goodbye to stress.
Amen to that.
chevre wrote:Grateful to the Bogleheads for helping me organize my thinking about my finances.
Amen to that. We all have the same sentiment. Otherwise we'd all be lost in the fog :mrgreen:

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:16 pm

Hot humid muggy buggy steamy sticky August . . . but our gardens look beautiful 8-)

Here is the updated Roll Call for our upcoming class of upstart retirees in the upcoming year of 2019.

Lining up for THE BELL: :D
05 Jan - Canoesmith
__ Jan - Tycoon
__ Jan - 2pedals
__ Jan - doneat53
__ Jan - Osprey <== Welcome to the Class!
__ Jan - cogitan <== Welcome to the Class!

01 Feb - dskelcy (62)
__ Feb - Spindrift (56 ?)

__ Mar - Kcr8n (60) <== Welcome to the Class!

02 Apr - David Jay
__ Apr - kacang <== Welcome to the Class!

28 Jun - nesdog (65) <== Welcome to the Class!
__ Jun - Luv2Perform
__ Jun - jamacq

01 Jul - walterbird
31 Jul - Castanea_d (mid-60's) <== Welcome to the Class!
__ Jul - MROCTOBER (62) <== Welcome to the Class!

__ Aug - spearo
__ Aug - 3504PIR
__ Aug - mike_slc

__ Sep - Barefootgirl

21 Nov - chevre (69) <== Welcome to the Class!

Retiring sometime in 2019: :greedy
__ ___ - ClaycordJCA (61 ?)
__ ___ - bluelight (62 ?)

TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

This may be TimeLord's year :shock: :D Anyone else joining this Great Class :?:

dccboone

Post by dccboone » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:20 am

Please add me to the Class of 2019. I've set the date and cannot wait - Friday, September 27th. Will be 62.

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:25 am

December 31st 2018... officially out of the game!
Act soon... time is running out

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:20 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:15 pm
The latest update for the Retirement Class of 2019 - unbelievable but 2019 is ONLY 6 months away! :D

Good luck to the upcoming Retirement Class of 2019! :beer Who will be our first graduate :?:
I don't want this to sound stalker-ish but I see the last time the TheTimeLord posted on this forum was 7/15. As one who is trying to decide the right time to pull the plug in the next couple of years I found his indecisiveness interesting and amusing. I guess I'm posting this as a welfare check, if anyone knows? Hopefully he is just off in Europe seeing the world!
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

dccboone

Post by dccboone » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:46 pm

jazman12 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:25 am
jazman12 - Welcome to the class of 2019. I guess your retirement date makes you an in-betweener. Congratulations!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:27 pm

dccboone wrote: Please add me to the Class of 2019. I've set the date and cannot wait - Friday, September 27th. Will be 62.
Welcome to this Class dccboone!

"Set the date and cannot wait" - say it over and over again :D Tell the boss - thanks for the pay and the 401k. But I'm outta here :D

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:07 pm

jazman12 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:28 am
Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:20 pm
Rolling out the Roll Call for this Retirement Class of 2018 :happy
. . . . . .
31 Dec jazman12
jazman12 wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:Lining up for the 2019 Roll Call Bell :D
Jazman12 is SOOO eager to retire that he posted in the Retirement Class of 2018 AND 2019! :D :D

Now this brings up a Roll Call Conundrum - what is our retirement date :confused

Is it the date of our last day of work, or the next day when we are free from work :?:

The Retirement Roll Call uses the protocols set forth by Lady Victoria, our founding mother 8-)

Lady Victoria never addressed this conundrum before she set out on her wild retirement adventures, so we will have to extrapolate from her other pronouncements.

On the Q of whether one is retired or not, she decreed that the Roll Call is self-reporting - that is if you feel that you have punched out and are retired - then by golly, you are retired :D even though you may be engaged in other activities or hobbies or working part-time, pay or no pay.

So, whatever retirement date you self-report - THAT'S the great date we cheer on this Roll Call :sharebeer

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:10 pm

jazman12 wrote:
We'll put you on the 2018 Roll Call jazman12, so you can tell your HR Department GOODBYE and GOOD RIDDANCE on Dec 31 before you head out into the big wide world and into a fabulous Retirement and New Year's Eve Party :D What a night that will be!

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Tentatively planning Aug 30 2019 :) Very likely will do it. I'm in academia, so my effective retirement date would be May 31 2019. I will of course post my plan for bogleheads to try to veto before I give official notice. But it is probably safe to add me to the list :) :) :) I hope I don't have to change my mind . . .

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:07 pm
On the Q of whether one is retired or not, she decreed that the Roll Call is self-reporting - that is if you feel that you have punched out and are retired - then by golly, you are retired :D even though you may be engaged in other activities or hobbies or working part-time, pay or no pay.
What? Working part time could be considered retired? I started working part time two years and still feel as engaged in my company business as when I was working full time. I think I'll report my retirement when I hang it up completely.

TravelforFun

dccboone

Post by dccboone » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:29 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:27 pm
dccboone wrote: Please add me to the Class of 2019. I've set the date and cannot wait - Friday, September 27th. Will be 62.
Welcome to this Class dccboone!

"Set the date and cannot wait" - say it over and over again :D Tell the boss - thanks for the pay and the 401k. But I'm outta here :D
Thank you Miriam2!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:20 pm

dknightd wrote: Tentatively planning Aug 30 2019 :) Very likely will do it. I'm in academia, so my effective retirement date would be May 31 2019. I will of course post my plan for bogleheads to try to veto before I give official notice. But it is probably safe to add me to the list :) :) :) I hope I don't have to change my mind . . .
dknightd - Welcome to the Retirement Class of 2019! We'll put you down as May 31 - just let us know if those Tough Bogleheads veto your retirement portfolio plans :annoyed OTOH, I don't like taking risks and if those Toughies say "too soon for comfort," well, I'd rather know that sooner than later.

Since you're in Academia like fellow classmate Nesdog, please see our nice bumper sticker below for your car :D
nesdog wrote: June 28, 2019. I should have six weeks of vacation banked by then so that will help with the transition. I will be 65-1/2. My wife is 60 and will be retired this December. Since I work at a school, I'm going to ask for a Senior Class of '19 t-shirt!
Another academia retiree! The Roll Call doesn't have t-shirts, but we DO have graduating class bumper stickers. Just put this on your bumper and be sure to park in the school parking lot :D

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:48 am

Guess I better go look for a bumper sticker ;)

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:40 pm

I wish to retire even earlier so I am leaving this class and rolling into the class of 2018 to retire in Nov at age 59 :mrgreen:

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:00 pm

2pedals wrote: I wish to retire even earlier so I am leaving this class and rolling into the class of 2018 to retire in Nov at age 59 :mrgreen:
Ok 2pedals! In before the 60's bell 8-) We'll include you over on the 2018 Roll Call.

jamacq

Post by jamacq » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:38 pm

Have been looking for a firm target date. Had been looking for an end of pay period in July or August and have settled on the perfect date. July 4, 2019 is the end of a pay period and what could be more appropriate than Independence Day?

Jeff

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:04 am

:musical_note: "We're movin' on up..." :musical_note: (theme from the tv show: "The Jeffersons").

Just reached a final agreement with the boss. January 15 is my last day. The day I turn 62.

On the 16th I'm going to call in "well".
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Perhaps some may not consider this "retirement" - but I will!
Cutting back to ~1 day/week beginning mid January 2019.

Yippee!