SocialSecurity.tools updated to include spousal benefits

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: SocialSecurity.tools updated to include spousal benefits

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:24 pm
gregable wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:03 pm
Murgatroyd wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:35 pm
gregable, thank you. A small thing I discovered. The imported ss data must have dollar signs on all column 2 & 3 data to work. I had a preexisting file of my info dropped to a spreadsheet that for some reason did not have the signs. As soon as I put them in your tool works.
Hm, I can't reproduce your observation. The code removes all '$' and ',' characters from the numerical columns before trying to parse them, so they are neither required nor a problem. I just tried this myself and it works fine. For example, with the input:

Code: Select all

2000 10000 10000
2001 15000 15000
Could be because my data came from an Open Office spreadsheet? It can be quirky.
Yes. It's not a quirk, it's a feature. :) In an earlier post, I suggested the problem is due to the blank cells. After further experimenting with LibreOffice Calc (forked from Open Office in 2010), we have the same problem.

When performing a copy-n-paste operation, LibreOffice will ignore the blank cells. That's why the table is broken - the data is simply not there.

See: Lead empty cell(s) ignored when copy/pasting - Ask LibreOffice, note the "Version" details provided by the first answer (as-of 2018-02-5, so it's current). Excel and Google sheets do not have this problem. gregable is not able to reproduce the problem because it does not exist for Google Sheets (or MS Excel).

Filling the blank cells with "0" works every time. Blank cells will never work. There's nothing that gregable can do to insert missing data, so we need a workaround.

In your spreadsheet, use the isblank() formula to insert a 0 for blank cells. For example, Columns A-C have the Year, Annual Earnings, Maximum Earnings info. The data you want to copy-n-paste into the tool could be in Columns F-H.

Data is (cell is in 1st row, data in 2nd row):

A1     B1   C1
1964        $4,800
Formula:

F1    G1   H1
=A1  =IF(ISBLANK(B1),0,B1)    =C1
Displayed (copy-n-paste this into the tool)

F1    G1    H1
1964   0    $4,800
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks to gregable (and neurosphere) for this fantastic tool! :sharebeer
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Thank you for this! I'm taking spousal while deferring my own. Because I'm already receiving a benefit against my husband's earnings, ssa.gov doesn't let me see my own benefit options. Your tool let me evaluate whether to take my own yet or let it continue to grow. Since I was the higher earner, opting for money while DH went for a postdoc, it's worth continuing to let it grow.