Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
kacang

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by kacang » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:53 pm

It sounds like you are mainly attracted to the 2nd offer for the extra money. In my industry (may not be the same as yours), contractors are always paid more than full-time employees for equivalent work. This is to compensate for the risk that they will be the first to be let go in there is a layoff, will not get the juicier assignments, and the company is not as vested in their development. Do you have anything in writing about how the conversion decision will be made, the work & pay of the permanent position?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:10 pm

I think the title of the thread is debatable: "recieved [sic] significantly better offer elsewhere."

nyclon

Post by nyclon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:12 pm

teos wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:19 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:51 pm
OP,

My gut feeling tells me that your gut feeling tells you not to take the new job. You are trying to sell yourself that it is no big deal and it is normal to be 6 months contract to permanent hire. And, you will be able to negotiate at a higher salary. Listen to your instinct. It tells you that there is something wrong with the new job.

If you are trying too hard to convince yourself, there is something wrong. Listen to your heart.

If they offer you a permanent position with the salary level that you want, take it. If not, just say no. Why should you walk away from a permanent position and take a contract position on a weak promise of an external recruiter?

The new job smells bad. Walk away.

KlangFool
You are correct, I have this feeling in my gut that this job is a bad idea despite many of my friends and family thinking I should go for it (primarily due to the pay difference).

To make matters worse, the recruiting firm pushed me to take the role when I asked for some time to think it over. They wanted a decision asap (within a day or two) and offered a little bit more for the role as an incentive. I signed the offer... but am regretting it now, especially after seeing more responses on this forum. I've always worked as a full time employee so I'm not familiar with contract-to-hire roles. I didn't realize the level of risk that this entails although had some concern. I read two separate articles on-line from former recruiters about contract-to-hire roles and this is enough to convince me to proceed would be a mistake.

So the question now is... what do I do now? How do I back out in a way to cause the least amount of damage? My current employer knows nothing of this.

Btw, other red flags:
  • I never stepped foot into the office I'll be working at (all interviews where over the phone and with people working elsewhere for the client)
  • The pay seems too good to be true (unless they'll expect me to work long hours?). The top 10%-ile is for the role at the company according to paysa. Why so high? My skills are good but I've never lead a team before, so why offer me top 10 percentile pay?
  • I don't like what the company does overall despite finding the role intriguing in terms of the area of work I'd be involved with. By contrast my current company is doing something for a "good cause".
It is odd that a company with such resources would hire a Team Level Lead, which sounds like a managerial position, via 6 months temp-to-perm. What kind of respect would your team have of you during those six months? Sort of seems set up for failure from that perspective, no matter how well you do.

Staffing agencies get paid for placements. They get a % of your comp. If you end up going perm, they still have made their commission on the temp piece, and the perm offers them a 1) placement fee and 2) another commission. They usually have to refund some or all of that if you don't work out within [x] months during the permanent role.

The downside for employees is that their "fee" gets taken every year until you quit that job. That's because the hiring company prices it into your offer - say they're willing to pay $100k and the agency charges 15% - you'll get an offer of $85k. And you eat the 15% every year thereafter.

Getting back to why they're paying "so much" - the downside risk is minimal to the hiring company. It's unclear what their intentions are - do they really want to hire someone for more than six months, or do they just need help for a little while until they figure things out?

It's easy for them to show a "high" salary for less than 12 months, because it's still less money out of pocket. Paying $110k/yr vs the avg of $100k/yr is fine because 6 months is only a $55k commitment.

I'd stay away from this. It's a highly non-committal decision for the hiring company because they obviously need to fill a vacant space quickly while maintaining flexibility to "trade up" while they look for someone better during the next six months. It's nothing personal, but definitely not good for you.

BogleBike

Post by BogleBike » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:16 pm

72 hour right of rescission.

Tell the recruiter you changed your mind!

Going off to a risky unknown just because the recruiter pushed you is bad living.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Team Lead as a contract job seems really strange.

I'd probably tell you to jump ship if it was full-time offer, but a 6-month contract position seems rather fishy.
The J stands for Jay

UnitaryExecutive

Post by UnitaryExecutive » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:00 am

limeyx wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:01 pm
UnitaryExecutive wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:13 pm
I've been on the other side of this and it's really frustrating from a hiring manager's perspective. Twice, I've had folks just not show up to orientation and tell us they took another offer afterwards. Another time, the person left after a week to be a team lead. In the second case, we actually hired them again after their other gig wasn't what they thought it was because talent is so hard to find and the candidate was super talented.

You may burn bridges if the community is small enough and folks know each other. However, in a tight market, employers just have to kind of deal with it. It does say something about someone's commitment and integrity level when they don't honor commitments.

Also, all things equal, if you can swing it, pick companies with the better culture.
Well maybe your compensation is not high enough or the work/job interesting enough to retain ...
Also, corporations are more than happy to let go hundreds or thousands of workers at the drop of a hat so it's hardly surprising that employees act the same way honestly
It's top of the market and in line with Google. There are maybe 2-3 employers locally with 10% higher base comp, but only Google beats us if you factor in RSUs.

Your second point of maybe the work/job isn't interesting is well-taken.

retired recently

Post by retired recently » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:11 am

It is easy to let money be the only important factor when you are young and I did as well but many years later I can definitely say that is wrong. From my experience, the key factors, in no particular order, would be if you like the people you will work with, at which job will you be able to learn more, expected hours of working. After weighing these would I then consider the money.

Agree with others that these days any company will fire you quickly if they need to do so but still try and be as loyal as possible and give them adequate notification. Also, understand that if you quit the current job after a few weeks it makes it harder to quit the next one quickly. Many companies are used to seeing folks move around but not many will like it if you develop a history of very short stints at jobs.

Finally, you mentioned that you would not put the current company down on future job apps but presumably any background search might turn it up, not sure though?

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:23 am

This sounds like a 'bird in the hand vs two in the bush'. Your present position is full-time, employed. The offer you are looking at is contract-to-employee, potentially. As a contractor you have essentially zero employment rights. You could take that contract job and in 6 months be out of work.

I'd stay where you are for now - probably for at least a year then re-evaluate your options at that time, if you want.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

sheepla

Post by sheepla » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:26 am

I don't think the new offer is significantly better at all. I would NEVER leave full-time employment for a temp position.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:06 am

Op,

I took a term position with the understanding I’d be permanent in no time. It didn’t happen for a long time and by then I was pretty upset and stressed out. Never again. I also did so based on a higher salary than a permanent position.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:26 am

I'd go for the culture fit.

LK2012

Post by LK2012 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:38 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:26 am
I'd go for the culture fit.
I second this. Culture is very important. Also, the benefits/insurance are better where you are. Plus, your current job has a goal you believe in, whereas the temp job supports something you don't even like. Finally, the offer just feels off to me, for reasons many others have mentioned, namely the temporary nature, and the too-good-to-be-true thrust into leadership at a place that doesn't know you. I would pass on the new offer. I would rescind immediately, and not give it a second thought.

limeyx

Post by limeyx » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:15 pm

UnitaryExecutive wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:00 am
limeyx wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:01 pm
UnitaryExecutive wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:13 pm
I've been on the other side of this and it's really frustrating from a hiring manager's perspective. Twice, I've had folks just not show up to orientation and tell us they took another offer afterwards. Another time, the person left after a week to be a team lead. In the second case, we actually hired them again after their other gig wasn't what they thought it was because talent is so hard to find and the candidate was super talented.

You may burn bridges if the community is small enough and folks know each other. However, in a tight market, employers just have to kind of deal with it. It does say something about someone's commitment and integrity level when they don't honor commitments.

Also, all things equal, if you can swing it, pick companies with the better culture.
Well maybe your compensation is not high enough or the work/job interesting enough to retain ...
Also, corporations are more than happy to let go hundreds or thousands of workers at the drop of a hat so it's hardly surprising that employees act the same way honestly
It's top of the market and in line with Google. There are maybe 2-3 employers locally with 10% higher base comp, but only Google beats us if you factor in RSUs.

Your second point of maybe the work/job isn't interesting is well-taken.
Interesting. For Google pay, I'd take "less interesting" right now !! We also have a situation where our tech/work may not be the most exciting and figuring out how to still get people excited is a challenge. We also don't have Google pay...

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Taking the best job you can find is better for you and the world. However the hard part is figuring out what is best. Think about what you'll think 10 days, 10 months and 10 years from now. It sounds like saving is very important so making a move would net out as better. Glad you have two good options, great job interviewing!

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:17 pm

I can't advise you in this specific situation but I will say that the world has changed. Sadly, loyalty is pretty much out the window. Act in your best interest and don't worry if this will look bad or if this looks like disloyalty to your new employer. Fact is, most employers now are very ruthless and do not return loyalty shown to you. The first second they think it is not in their interest to keep you employed, they will lay you off and won't have a second thought about it. Probably not, but there is a chance they could be looking for your replacement right now. You don't owe your current employer anything but your best efforts during work hours.

Sad to say, but we are all hired guns nowadays. Loyalty is gone, employers expect it but won't reciprocate. Even sadder to say, employers will bald face lie to you in interviews. Had this happen a couple of times.

Weigh things out the best you can and trust your gut. Trust in Providence to guide you along in life. There are still good employers out there and I sincerely hope you can find one.
A fool and his money are good for business.

teos

Post by teos » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks so much for your feedback everyone. Below is an update, and I'll respond directly to some specific quotes after.
  • I told the recruiters I changed my mind and that I'm not comfortable with a contract-to-hire role. They responded that they flexibility with the client to make a career path I'd feel better about. Is it worth talking to them further? What if they can arrange a direct hire position? If the latter, then why wasn't this offered initially?
  • To those calling into question my integrity/loyalty... This entire situation is not ideal for me. While I am fairly young I have a lot of work experience staying with my previous employers for several years. I want my next role to be somewhere that I can stay, make an impact, and grow for a while too. In fact I would have stayed with my previous employer if they didn't go through a big layoff. This is especially so because since I'm thinking about moving out of state in a year from now (something I've been planning for many years, but can't do so until then). I really don't want a new job with a 1-year tenure. Typically I switch jobs while employed so I have the most leverage to negotiate and can take my time finding a great fit. In this case though, getting laid off means the longer I wait the more money and leverage I lose. Thus, when my current job came along as the best of non-ideal fits I took it so as to not overly prolong unemployment. After all, all the opportunities I was most interested in fizzled out by then. And this was after turning down several other offers that were even worse fits. However, due to the planned move it's still a problematic role (unless they offer me ability work in a remote capacity down the road). I want my current/next role to be long term and the MegaCorp has offices in the cities I'm interested in. Local company does not. Of course there is no guarantee I could move any easier with the MegaCorp compared to where I am now.
  • In my job search I tried to land fully remote positions since it would be easier to move in a year as I could just keep working for them. However these jobs are few and far between, incredibly competitive to get, and/or the pay was way to low despite negotiation. Job hunting is so frustrating. Maybe I should have just kept bleeding my emergency fund/savings and wait for a fantastic fit to come along.
  • So I'm now playing with this thought experiment: What if opportunity Megacorp offers me a direct hire permanent position and I meet the people I'd be working with and have an overall better feeling about culture. What if someone approaches me with a fully remote role later, in something I'm most interested in, and for pay that is satisfactory? Would I want to jump ship there too? Honestly, I'd probably consider it.
I guess the issue for me is that: A) I was hoping to get more money from my current role. I negotiated heavily and successfully, but it's only brought me to the compensation level of roughly where I've been the past several years -- where I have had practically 0% real wage growth. B) I'm looking for vastly more interesting work, not more of the same of what I've been doing. The ratio of jobs doing what I've been doing to what I want to do is roughly 10-100:1 in my area. So despite having the skills it's not easy to find the jobs in the niche of interest. So this made/makes finding my current/next role difficult. C) Whatever job I do now, there is a high probability I'll be looking for a new job again within a year -- unless the current/next role can accommodate me moving. So I suppose this means I shouldn't care much about the higher salary potential of Job MegaCorp. D) Overall I feel like I failed in my job search. I couldn't get what I was looking for. So I'm pretty dissatisfied with my current role despite it being a good job in general.

----
Leemiller wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:06 am
Op,

I took a term position with the understanding I’d be permanent in no time. It didn’t happen for a long time and by then I was pretty upset and stressed out. Never again. I also did so based on a higher salary than a permanent position.
Thanks for the cautionary tale, the consensus I'm seeing is to not consider the contract-to-hire role.
Last edited by teos on Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:52 pm

teos wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:35 pm
I told the recruiters I changed my mind and that I'm not comfortable with a contract-to-hire role. They responded that they flexibility with the client to make a career path I'd feel better about. Is it worth talking to them further? What if they can arrange a direct hire position? If the latter, then why wasn't this offered initially?
The reason they didn't offer a direct hire position is that they don't have the long-term work. Based on some real past experience, my prior MegaEmployer would post a ton of positions based on "If we win this proposal...". If it came in, fine. If not, no job.

They would also offer positions based on some short-term money that depend on winning the proposal long-term. So, employ for six months and then see how it goes. I'm betting this is what's happening. Flexibility? For them, yes. For you, no.
teos wrote:
I want my current/next role to be long term and the MegaCorp has offices in the cities I'm interested in. Local company does not. Of course there is no guarantee I could move any easier with the MegaCorp compared to where I am now.
This is a very dangerous assumption and will most likely not pan out. There is absolutely no relation to a MegaCorp office location and hiring. Before my local plant shut down and I was forced to leave, I tried every trick in the book to get a job with another division that was well within my commuting distance. Nope, not gonna happen.

If you want a job working at the remote city, then simply look for a job at those other offices. Are they hiring right now? Do you qualify to apply? Would they pay for relocation? On another point, is reimbursement for moving expenses all that significant? You will have an obligation to repay those expenses unless stay with them for a period time, such as 1 year.
teos wrote:
Overall I feel like I failed in my job search. I couldn't get what I was looking for. So I'm pretty dissatisfied with my current role despite it being a good job in general.
If this head hunter never approached you with this position, were you happy with what you have now? Think about it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

teos

Post by teos » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:13 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:52 pm
teos wrote:
I told the recruiters I changed my mind and that I'm not comfortable with a contract-to-hire role. They responded that they flexibility with the client to make a career path I'd feel better about. Is it worth talking to them further? What if they can arrange a direct hire position? If the latter, then why wasn't this offered initially?
The reason they didn't offer a direct hire position is that they don't have the long-term work. Based on some real past experience, my prior MegaEmployer would post a ton of positions based on "If we win this proposal...". If it came in, fine. If not, no job.

They would also offer positions based on some short-term money that depend on winning the proposal long-term. So, employ for six months and then see how it goes. I'm betting this is what's happening. Flexibility? For them, yes. For you, no.
That's a good point. Thanks. I also don't feel like negotiating further with job MegaCorp. I'm sticking with my final decision to pass on them.
LadyGeek wrote:
teos wrote:
I want my current/next role to be long term and the MegaCorp has offices in the cities I'm interested in. Local company does not. Of course there is no guarantee I could move any easier with the MegaCorp compared to where I am now.
This is a very dangerous assumption and will most likely not pan out. There is absolutely no relation to a MegaCorp office location and hiring. Before my local plant shut down and I was forced to leave, I tried every trick in the book to get a job with another division that was well within my commuting distance. Nope, not gonna happen.

If you want a job working at the remote city, then simply look for a job at those other offices. Are they hiring right now? Do you qualify to apply? Would they pay for relocation? On another point, is reimbursement for moving expenses all that significant? You will have an obligation to repay those expenses unless stay with them for a period time, such as 1 year.
Why haven't I applied to jobs in those remote cites I'm interested in? It's because I cannot as of yet make that move. Personal/family obligations keep me from doing so until about a year from now. Otherwise, I would do just that! Also see my last point in the next quotation response below.
LadyGeek wrote:
teos wrote:
Overall I feel like I failed in my job search. I couldn't get what I was looking for. So I'm pretty dissatisfied with my current role despite it being a good job in general.
If this head hunter never approached you with this position, were you happy with what you have now? Think about it.
Not really. For my current job I extended the deadline on by several weeks and mentioned to them I had some other end-stage opportunities I'd like to explore first. They actually were willing to hire me after those didn't pan out (I suspect the labor market is pretty tight here). So I do appreciate that, but I was obviously wanting something different. For example, one of those end-stage interviews was in such a remote city for a final on-site. At a role where I could work remotely, then relocate, and in the niche I was looking for. Basically the "ideal" (no job is perfect) opportunity slipped through my hands. As a result I'm not all that happy with my current role. I've settled for it out of circumstance/necessity. Don't get me wrong, it's a good job. Great people, good culture, market rate pay, good 401k / healthcare, good product. It's just not what I was looking for and so I'm open to better opportunities. One thing I learned though by this thread is that I was more easily enticed by compensation alone than I thought I would be. I have something to reflect on now as opportunity Megacorp isn't really what I'm looking for either.

T4REngineer

Post by T4REngineer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:52 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:42 pm
I guess I'll be in the minority here.

You made a commitment to a small company which has spent time and money to get you on board. They have made you welcome and apparently have stuck to what they have promised.

In my old fashioned opinion, a person of character would honor that.
For my generation (I am 30) I am considered very old fashion and while I agree with you what comes to mind when I read that is " I bet this feeling was built in the days where companies provided pensions and people in general had a sense of honor and loyalty". I have no advice to the OP and while I have stayed with the same employer for 8 years out of school and hope to have a full career with them I completely understand people job shopping/hopping these days.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:04 pm

That might be some of it, but my opinion it is just based on the concept that people should actually mean what they say. That is timeless.

As long as people are trying to "get what's mine" and "sc**wing them before they can sc**w me"...the downward spiral continues on.

Some people chose not to be part of that. That's the person I would want to hire.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:14 pm

ExitStageLeft wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:17 pm
Welcome to the forum!

A friend once explained to me how his thought process when dealing with a similar situation. The company that hired you still has a stack of resumes and can find a suitable replacement. You on the other hand don't have a stack of good job offers.

Good luck with your decision.
True. But also please do note that economy is on fire and companies are bidding up pay for good employees.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:16 pm

T4REngineer wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:52 pm
retiredjg wrote:

You made a commitment to a small company which has spent time and money to get you on board. They have made you welcome and apparently have stuck to what they have promised.

For my generation (I am 30) I am considered very old fashion and while I agree with you what comes to mind when I read that is " I bet this feeling was built in the days where companies provided pensions and people in general had a sense of honor and loyalty". I have no advice to the OP and while I have stayed with the same employer for 8 years out of school and hope to have a full career with them I completely understand people job shopping/hopping these days.
There is statistically significant research that demonstrates that wage gains are higher among job switchers.
Capitalism is achieved NOT by following ideas such as loyalty and being old fashioned, but by pushing the market to its equilibrium.
I have convinced many friends that they were grossly underpaid, and now they are enjoying pays significantly higher than what they would have gotten paid otherwise.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:21 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:17 pm
Sadly, loyalty is pretty much out the window.
And that is a MASSIVE win for the economy.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:37 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:21 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Except that our economy is based upon trust. When I walk into my bank branch and see all new people each time I visit, that doesn't inspire confidence. When I call a company with a problem to be solved and I just get a phone tree or an overseas call center, that doesn't inspire confidence. Eventually, when trust breaks down, you get to a third world economy.

celia

Post by celia » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:02 pm

OP, I haven't read many of the previous posts, but your original post strikes me as very methodical. I imagine you have the job attributes for every position you applied for in a spreadsheet somewhere. This is partly how you see the world, I guess.
teos wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:02 pm
Job Now (Small Company - few weeks in)
  • Salary: Market Value (50th percentile)
  • Interesting Work (scale 0-1): 70th percentile
  • Company Culture: 80th percentile
  • Career Direction: 60th percentile
But how likely are "you" to change in the future? For example, maybe your opinion of the current Career Direction will change over time and you will decide it met 90% of your wishes--or maybe only 10% of them. Staying where you are at the moment could end up being a good fit in the long run or maybe a bad choice, depending on how YOU change. Only time will tell.

There are other attributes you could have chosen to include in your analysis, from commuting time, financial stability of the company, pressure felt at work, expected (unpaid) overtime, diverse/similar co-workers (for outside interests), etc. Maybe you didn't consider other attributes since they didn't occur to you or maybe they are included in the categories you already have. Or you could have ended up with a job that has 100% of everything you hoped for, but end up being unhappy there.

I guess my comments have to do more with the process you used, rather than going with what your "gut" says to do. There's nothing wrong with going either way, but just be aware that you used a particular process.
teos wrote:
No, you didn't fail. You took an approach that fit your personality and compared a lot of pros and cons. You chose something out of what was available at the time. (How could you choose something that was not available?)

One thing about working at a small company is that you will likely notice the company changing too, especially as other employees come and go. You are more likely to have an impact on the small company, instead of being one cog at MegaCorp. And if your choice doesn't work out over the long term, it will be time to move on....

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:00 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:37 pm
AlphaLess wrote:
nedsaid wrote:
Except that our economy is based upon trust. When I walk into my bank branch and see all new people each time I visit, that doesn't inspire confidence. When I call a company with a problem to be solved and I just get a phone tree or an overseas call center, that doesn't inspire confidence. Eventually, when trust breaks down, you get to a third world economy.
Nothing in those examples has anything to do with loyalty.
You are showing examples with lack of experience or skills, and high turnover: all bad for business.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:36 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:00 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:37 pm
AlphaLess wrote:
nedsaid wrote:
Nothing in those examples has anything to do with loyalty.
You are showing examples with lack of experience or skills, and high turnover: all bad for business.
Certainly job mobility is good for the economy and I am all for that. Employees getting the best deal for themselves the best they can is good. We are in a competitive economy. Dynamism is good.

But why you do you suppose there is lack of experience or skills? Why do you suppose there is high turnover? Maybe the employees aren't being treated so well. Employers don't want to train anymore. Maybe they are being underpaid. I see CEO's whining that they can't find good workers but having observed American business, it isn't hard to imagine why. Loyalty between employer and employee has everything to do with this. Sadly, I have a very hard time trusting employers anymore and this is really sad.

Problem is that everything is about maximizing shareholder value, so much so that other things have been lost. Clearly something is wrong in American business. The solution to everything seems to be to lay off employees, which like supply chain is just in time. Lots of companies operate with skeleton crews, barely able to keep things running. If you have a surge, bring in the contractors. It seems that things have been taken to the extreme.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:48 pm

^ Responding to the above.

I can explain the turnover. Research shows that everything kept equal, skilled employees who changed jobs ended up getting better wage growth.

So, the dual of the conclusion is this: employees who did NOT change jobs, ended up getting worse wage growth. Or, in other words, companies under-pay those who stay longer.

So this is squarely the fault of the corporations: they are EFFECTIVELY encouraging turnover by UNDERPAYING for skilled employees.

Who do you think is going to get out and interview and find a better job: the under-performer, the median, or the over-performer?

In aggregate, that pays off for the corporations, because, say, they underpay 80% of their workforce vs losing the 20% of the workforce.

I sat down with multiple friends and demonstrated to them that they are underpaid. They did not believe me for a while, until they finally got the memo. Job switchers had great outcomes: to the tune of 30-40% one-time bumps, and better wage growth in their newer jobs.

IMO, staying more than 3-4 years in the same company is detrimental to ones wage growth. Can stay longer, but at around 3-4 boundary need to play that long-appreciated game: go out, interview, find a really good alternative job. Present it back to your current corporation, and squeeze them for everything that they got. Once they have given everything, dig that knife a little more and squeeze another 5%. Call it a win. Rinse and repeat in another 3-4 years.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:31 am

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:48 pm
^ Responding to the above.

I can explain the turnover. Research shows that everything kept equal, skilled employees who changed jobs ended up getting better wage growth.

So, the dual of the conclusion is this: employees who did NOT change jobs, ended up getting worse wage growth. Or, in other words, companies under-pay those who stay longer.

So this is squarely the fault of the corporations: they are EFFECTIVELY encouraging turnover by UNDERPAYING for skilled employees.

Who do you think is going to get out and interview and find a better job: the under-performer, the median, or the over-performer?

In aggregate, that pays off for the corporations, because, say, they underpay 80% of their workforce vs losing the 20% of the workforce.

I sat down with multiple friends and demonstrated to them that they are underpaid. They did not believe me for a while, until they finally got the memo. Job switchers had great outcomes: to the tune of 30-40% one-time bumps, and better wage growth in their newer jobs.

IMO, staying more than 3-4 years in the same company is detrimental to ones wage growth. Can stay longer, but at around 3-4 boundary need to play that long-appreciated game: go out, interview, find a really good alternative job. Present it back to your current corporation, and squeeze them for everything that they got. Once they have given everything, dig that knife a little more and squeeze another 5%. Call it a win. Rinse and repeat in another 3-4 years.
That is the current philosophy. I am seeing this in the job market, people switching jobs every 3-5 years. Problem is that turnover is even higher than that even in jobs that require high skill levels and take a while to learn. That is about all I will say.

truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:43 am

Neither of these companies would hesitate to fire you if it made sense financially to do so. They have a responsibility to put their bottom line first. So do you. See if your current company can match or beat the other offer. If they can’t, leave, and don’t look back.

teos

Post by teos » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 am

Well it looks like the recruiters want to talk to me again after I turned the deal down. They say they can probably arrange a direct hire position with their client instead of contract-to-hire. I'm skeptical. And even if so, why not offer it this way from the start. As a previous poster said, it seems a permanent role may not really be available otherwise they'd have offered it from the start.

Given my plans if this opportunity were to really make sense I'd need to negotiate a path towards relocaton/remote work in a year. Seems unlikely. Is it really possible to turn a bad smelling offer into a good one?

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:16 am

You don't want to burn bridges but you also have to do what feels best.

My shortest tenure at any job was 1-2 months. I had left a job that I had for 15 yrs and took one with a smaller company with good people. While they were looking for the best place to put me, I received a call from a head hunter out west and after telling them no, they upped the offer high enough where it was hard to turn down. Since I hadn't yet been placed in a critical position at the smaller company, I took the offer and left. Best decision (and maybe riskiest) I even made.

I know some people (old timers, although I guess I'm in that age range as well) who are hard core "you must give at least 2 weeks" and must stay at a time for at least a year, etc. Unfortunately things are different now. Many companies show near zero loyalty towards employees and making sacrifices on promises/wishes/hopes doesn't often pay off. I heard from someone who had a friend who moved cross country (on his own dime) for a job and then was laid off in the first week or two. Apparently his manager wasn't aware a cut back was coming and this guy ended up getting royalty screwed. Obviously an extreme event but you got to look out for your self.

Personally I always value enjoyment of job, location, and work/life balances the most and have taken jobs with higher, the same, and a bit lower pay depending on the circumstances.

T4REngineer

Post by T4REngineer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:40 am

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:16 pm
T4REngineer wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:52 pm
retiredjg wrote:

There is statistically significant research that demonstrates that wage gains are higher among job switchers.
Capitalism is achieved NOT by following ideas such as loyalty and being old fashioned, but by pushing the market to its equilibrium.
I have convinced many friends that they were grossly underpaid, and now they are enjoying pays significantly higher than what they would have gotten paid otherwise.
IF that's what they wanted and are happy I am glad you pushed them to chase the money

bling

Post by bling » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:47 pm

It's a bit disengenuous to dismiss loyalty entirely just because companies can be ruthless with their bottom line. While it is important to take that into account, decisions are still made by people.

Every job I quit, I made it a point to strengthen bridges as I left. The people left behind will not be there forever and they will open doors for me at their new companies. The world is very small, even in large cities.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:09 pm

bling wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:47 pm
It's a bit disengenuous to dismiss loyalty entirely just because companies can be ruthless with their bottom line. While it is important to take that into account, decisions are still made by people.

Every job I quit, I made it a point to strengthen bridges as I left. The people left behind will not be there forever and they will open doors for me at their new companies. The world is very small, even in large cities.
How much loyalty is established when you have been on a job a few weeks?

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:16 pm

teos wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:53 pm
I asked about that. The recruiting agency tells me that it shouldn't be an issue but it's their job to sell me like any other salesman. So yes there is some concern there. But it's my impression given the role and work that the work will be there after 6 months. The bigger risk is will my job performance in their eyes be worth the top 10% pay. I'd like to think so, but they are offering a lot. Also, in my area about 50% of the jobs are contract-to-hire. It's pretty common in my field. However, I've never took jobs like this before. It's new territory for me but have known others that did it.

See the response to the quote above. The other hesitation is that I just started a new job and have some idea what it will be like, but a new job is always an unknown no matter how many questions you ask when interviewing.

Burning bridges -- sure -- but it's a very small company. Low probability of it making a major impact in my life.
Key #1: external recruiters are sales people. Period. Do not get paid until you get hired and get paid. Grain of salt, heavy dose. Everything must be in writing to your liking or you walk.

The biggest variable in this whole situation is the new potential job being contract. You come full circle at the end with an update (quoted below), but I would NOT take this job if a contract. Who knows what happens in 6 months, economy, company, the team, the role, or how you fit with a manager or director or anyone.

I was leaning towards saying take the job, but after reading all 2 pages, would not do it unless you can negotiate better.
michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:26 am
I get people talking about "integrity". However, in this era, there is no job security (in general). Companies merge, layoff people and go under all the time. They make offers and then withdraw them. They can fire you at any time for any reason. It cannot be one sided IMO. Ultimately, you have to do what is best for you and your family and not some faceless corporation. In this case though, it is debatable if leaving is really better.
Agree with this. Integrity means many things, and if you do leave this new employer after a few weeks, do it right, with candid honesty, and graciously. But, do it if you want to do it. I absolutely do not believe this is 1955 and you need to sit in a lower-paying less-engaging job for 2 years just because you accepted it a few weeks ago. Several years ago I was lured away from computer megacorp by a competitor... DAY ONE I knew I was hosed, lied to, and everything promised was backwards. It took me 10 months to find another job, and thank heavens I negotiated a super strong salary and 6 mos guaranteed commissions, because I never sold a darn thing in 10 months while half the company staff turned over. Integrity and promises work both ways. Do what is best for you, plain and simple.
teos wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 am
Well it looks like the recruiters want to talk to me again after I turned the deal down. They say they can probably arrange a direct hire position with their client instead of contract-to-hire. I'm skeptical. And even if so, why not offer it this way from the start. As a previous poster said, it seems a permanent role may not really be available otherwise they'd have offered it from the start.

Given my plans if this opportunity were to really make sense I'd need to negotiate a path towards relocaton/remote work in a year. Seems unlikely. Is it really possible to turn a bad smelling offer into a good one?
I think this is worth exploring. You have already executed your "walk away method" by turning it down, and now they are clawing back. ALL the leverage is in your corner. Push as hard as you can for what you want, and let them take it or leave it. I think you can turn a bad smelling offer into a good one if you push your leverage to the max, and get everything you need in writing to make yourself feel comfortable. Worst case you say no, stay where you are, and keep looking. Best case, you get what you want, and have a decision to make.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:00 pm

If you like the offered job as good or better, I'd take the better offer. I'd really make sure to get it in writing and make sure you are confident it will come through.

Employers can terminate at will in most states. And they often do. Don't feel guilty about doing what is in your best interest.

bling

Post by bling » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:13 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:09 pm
bling wrote:

How much loyalty is established when you have been on a job a few weeks?
not much. there was a person who interviewed at one of my previous companies, got the offer, accepted, and before he even started, accepted another job offer. everyone was wondering where he was since he didn't show up on his first day. a day or two later he emails and says oops, sorry, i took another job.

sure, no loyalty was ever established, but this guy will surely have a tough time getting a job if he were to interview at any future place where anyone from my team is involved.

and all he had to do to avoid all of this was just be up front, hey, sorry but i got another offer i couldn't refuse, best of luck.

yes, you have to look out for yourself first, but that doesn't mean be completely disrespectful to everyone around you.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:32 pm

T4REngineer wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:40 am
IF that's what they wanted and are happy I am glad you pushed them to chase the money
They did not just chase the money. They got better jobs, with new skills to learn and responsibilities, made more business contacts, are more open to looking for jobs, and are general happier.

simas

Post by simas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:36 pm

bling wrote:
This. you deal with people and only people - corporations are legal contructs. people hire you, people recommend you (or not), people promote you (or note), people fire you. piss off enough of them and you can very easily sabotage your career permanently, it is a VERY small world

so, ignore all of the noise about 'the corporations' and think of what would you like to receive if you were on the other end. as a hiring manager, I am spending political capital, time, effort, and energy to get you into the door. you may fit or not, no way to tell until you actually get here and spend some time. as a person searching, similarly i expect negotiations/conversations with certain degree of trust (i.e. not having my time wasted because I am supposed to be +1 to justify hiring internal candidate you already decided on). treat others are you want to be treated , and what goes around comes around..

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 pm

^^^ I fully agree. This is your professional reputation at stake here. The size of the company does not matter. Small world, indeed.

You may change companies, but your professional reputation stays with you for life. It takes years to build up credibility and you can lose it in a heartbeat. A manager, who you may very well run into later in life, will remember you when the situation has turned and you need a job. Or, someone in the group will remember you. That sort of thing.

When I left my MegaEmployer, I was hired by my old group (now a separate company) who I haven't worked with in 10 years. They took me back with no questions asked.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:23 pm

I have done the temp to perm, and I have found that more than 50% of them ESPECIALLY THROUGH A RECRUITING FIRM, are complete BS and they only say temp to perm, because they know if they say temp only they wont get as good of candidates applying.

teos

Post by teos » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:28 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:23 pm
I have done the temp to perm, and I have found that more than 50% of them ESPECIALLY THROUGH A RECRUITING FIRM, are complete BS and they only say temp to perm, because they know if they say temp only they wont get as good of candidates applying.
This is now my understanding and view too after reading up on "contract-to-hire" independently of the advice here -- not that there is any disagreement.

Anyway I heard back from the recruiting firm after mentioning that I can't make this happen with the current terms. I talked to someone higher up in the recruiting firm (or is it consulting... see below) and this person tells me this (I'm having a hard time believing all of this):
  1. They claim they too aren't a fan of the contract-to-hire model, but this lets them place a new hire faster than the 6-8 weeks it would take the client to hire directly (because of the next point). They tell me they debated on offering this role as a direct-hire placement verses contract-to-hire.
  2. Hiring directly with the client is an option, but they said they would have to open up the position to be available for internal applications before hiring outside. It's less likely I would get the job going this route. NOTE: I can push to go direct-hire with the client.
  3. Hiring directly also would mean less flexibility for me so they claim. If I work for the recruiting firm they are open to the idea of working with me when I plan to relocate a year from now if I want to consider transitioning to being fully remote
  4. They claim they can pay me more working for them, the recruiting firm, than the client can pay because the client's overhead is much higher. I have a hard time believing this. They are offering me top pay, W2 wages, and insurance. On one hand this puts me in the top 10% of the clients pay range, but I'm sure they are billing the client a much higher amount. Thus, they client could pay more I think.
  5. The person I talked to said if it makes me feel better they can agree to set aside money each week I work with them, such that if I am out of work in 6 months or get hired (either way leave the recruiting firm) they will pay me a lump some to help lessen concerns of possible unemployment.
  6. The person went as far as saying, that this really isn't a temporary position. I would be a full-time employee of the recruiting firm as a consultant for them. The person said that many of their consultants when offered a permanent role at the client turn it down because they like the flexibility of working for the recruiting firm and this flexibility would be lost with the client. For example remote work is one such flexibility example given to me. Yet I'm confused, if this really is a full-time employee role with the recruiting firm as a consultant then why is it advertised as contract-to-hire? This sounds fishy still. I've interviewed with consulting firms and these were always advertised as full time employee. Yes you'd be working with clients, but these were not contract-to-hire. You'd an employee of the consulting firm and if you fall between contracts you "hit the bench" and skill up while getting paid or work on internal projects. So when this recruiting manager tells me this is not a temp job, yes it's contract-to-hire, but somehow what that really means is that I'm just a consultant for the recruiting firm (that now is trying to look like a consulting firm) and that I could just keep working for them and turn down an offer for a permanent role with the client, well, I'm just a bit confused by this! I should note that looking at the recruiter's company's website it does say "consulting" not "recruiting." It's possible I was misunderstanding the business arrangement here. But again, why use "contract-to-hire" and not "full-time consultant employee" as the term for the style of role. By the way, this was the response I was given when I asked if I could work as a direct hire full-time employee for the recruiting firm. Such a strange response -- this is a direct hire role with us... just don't tell the client you don't intend to "convert" full time with them if you want to stay with us... was another thing I was told.
  7. There aren't many Glassdoor reviews for the recruiting (consulting?) firm but the ones there do refer to themselves as consultants, the reviews are favorable, some mention they work remote. So there is some verification of what I was told.
  8. The person said that I have the option of turning down a direct hire offer with the client if I just want to keep working as a W-2 consultant for the recruiting firm -- and that the hiring manager would be okay with this. In fact, many former employees of the recruiting firm did this and were eventually offered very high compensation packages by the client to sway them over. (Wait doesn't this contradict #4 above?)
So far this is still smelling fishy. At this point, I'm thinking I'd want A) full time role at client, plus B) 100% fully remote from the start [with the option to come into the office if I choose but not a requirement). Both of these stipulations probably will fail. But it seems I was being told contradictory information from this last conversation. The recruiter was trying to tell me it's not as risky as I might fear -- doing the contract-to-hire thing with them. I have a hard time believing this.

On the plus side, things ramped up at work this week and I'm beginning to have a better idea of what it will be like to work at my current employer. It's not top 10% pay, but it is still market value, and the work is interesting enough, the people are great, and the hours are better than I expected (so far). I'm now definitely leaning with just staying with my employer, doing a great job, and then after a year try to push for them to work with me about relocating/remote work.

teos

Post by teos » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:07 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:16 pm
I think this is worth exploring. You have already executed your "walk away method" by turning it down, and now they are clawing back. ALL the leverage is in your corner. Push as hard as you can for what you want, and let them take it or leave it. I think you can turn a bad smelling offer into a good one if you push your leverage to the max, and get everything you need in writing to make yourself feel comfortable. Worst case you say no, stay where you are, and keep looking. Best case, you get what you want, and have a decision to make.
I haven't pushed yet, just had a more detailed conversation with a higher up at the firm (not the client). See my previous post above. Not sure I should bother now.

buglenote

Post by buglenote » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Not sure I'd want to work for a company where I couldn't even determine what exactly it was (recruiting or consulting) after multiple conversations.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 pm

teos wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:28 pm
...So far this is still smelling fishy. At this point, I'm thinking I'd want A) full time role at client, plus B) 100% fully remote from the start [with the option to come into the office if I choose but not a requirement). Both of these stipulations probably will fail. But it seems I was being told contradictory information from this last conversation. The recruiter was trying to tell me it's not as risky as I might fear -- doing the contract-to-hire thing with them. I have a hard time believing this.

On the plus side, things ramped up at work this week and I'm beginning to have a better idea of what it will be like to work at my current employer. It's not top 10% pay, but it is still market value, and the work is interesting enough, the people are great, and the hours are better than I expected (so far). I'm now definitely leaning with just staying with my employer, doing a great job, and then after a year try to push for them to work with me about relocating/remote work.
You now have all the information to make a decision, which is to go with your gut and stay put. Mark your calendar for today + 1 year and revisit your situation.

Act on your decision now, as further thinking is no longer productive and will become a source of unnecessary stress.

teos

Post by teos » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:32 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 pm
You now have all the information to make a decision, which is to go with your gut and stay put. Mark your calendar for today + 1 year and revisit your situation.

Act on your decision now, as further thinking is no longer productive and will become a source of unnecessary stress.
I tried this. Thought it was over. Except that after turning them down again they came back saying they talked to the client more and want to make this work for my long term goals. On top of this they offered an even higher salary. However this is still working for the consulting firm (it might mean being on permanently for them).

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm

teos wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:32 pm
LadyGeek wrote:

I tried this. Thought it was over. Except that after turning them down again they came back saying they talked to the client more and want to make this work for my long term goals. On top of this they offered an even higher salary. However this is still working for the consulting firm (it might mean being on permanently for them).
How much more money? Are we talking 1.2x your other job or 1.5x your other job?

teos

Post by teos » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:07 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm
teos wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:

It's now 1.45x (up from 1.33x when I started this thread).

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm

teos wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:07 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm
teos wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:

It's now 1.45x (up from 1.33x when I started this thread).
Sounds like they really want you. If you can see yourself working there, I would counter with 1.5x and take it.