[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
youngpleb
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:06 pm
Location: VA, USA

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by youngpleb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:16 pm

I just finished up the final season of Longmire on Netflix tonight. I’d rate it as a good series that beats any of the Big 3 cop shows hands down. Now to search for my next series...
27. Always learning.

User avatar
KSOC
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: Central Florida

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by KSOC » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Nobody watching "The Tunnel"? Two season on Amazon Prime. Terrific!

Also on Prime - "Eat.Race.Win". Fascinating look behind the scenes of the Tour de France, emphasis on the nutrition of the racers & the preparation of their meals. Really good.
Too soon old, too late smart.

User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1645
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:17 pm

KSOC wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:13 pm
Nobody watching "The Tunnel"? Two season on Amazon Prime. Terrific!

Also on Prime - "Eat.Race.Win". Fascinating look behind the scenes of the Tour de France, emphasis on the nutrition of the racers & the preparation of their meals. Really good.
I watched the first season of "The Tunnel" on PBS. I had a hard time keeping awake but I did finish. Started the second and turned it off after a few minutes and put it on the "maybe to do" list. Usually I like the genre but I wasn't crazy about the execution.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:01 pm

Death in Paradise, fans: Season 7 is now on Netflix

ResearchMed
Posts: 6868
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:18 pm

Watched the first episode of Succession.

We weren't sure as it started, and almost turned it off, but couldn't quite do it.
That was our feeling through the entire episode.
Now we aren't sure we want to bother with Episode 2.

But... we aren't sure we *don't* want to watch Episode 2.
Oddly torn.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
KSOC
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: Central Florida

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by KSOC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 am

Blues wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:17 pm
KSOC wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:13 pm
Nobody watching "The Tunnel"? Two season on Amazon Prime. Terrific!

Also on Prime - "Eat.Race.Win". Fascinating look behind the scenes of the Tour de France, emphasis on the nutrition of the racers & the preparation of their meals. Really good.
I watched the first season of "The Tunnel" on PBS. I had a hard time keeping awake but I did finish. Started the second and turned it off after a few minutes and put it on the "maybe to do" list. Usually I like the genre but I wasn't crazy about the execution.
I've had shows like that too. Sometimes you just don't catch onto it. As for "The Tunnel", I'm mad because Season 3 just aired on PBS & I missed it.
Too soon old, too late smart.

abner kravitz
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 am
Location: Beaufort County, SC

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abner kravitz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:40 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:18 pm
Watched the first episode of Succession.

We weren't sure as it started, and almost turned it off, but couldn't quite do it.
That was our feeling through the entire episode.
Now we aren't sure we want to bother with Episode 2.

But... we aren't sure we *don't* want to watch Episode 2.
Oddly torn.

RM
I was a little torn also after the 1st episode but ended up watching the whole season. I thought it got better and I enjoyed it.

MJW
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MJW » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:19 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:18 pm
Watched the first episode of Succession.

We weren't sure as it started, and almost turned it off, but couldn't quite do it.
That was our feeling through the entire episode.
Now we aren't sure we want to bother with Episode 2.

But... we aren't sure we *don't* want to watch Episode 2.
Oddly torn.

RM
Succession is on my list to check out after I finish The Sopranos.

Usually unless I'm completely put off/disinterested after the first episode I will give it a few episodes to see if I can get into the groove with it. Sometimes depending on what I watched last it takes me a few episodes of a new show to adjust to the change of pace.

Then again, I also have a tendency to start to not like a show by the middle of the season and then end up hate-watching the rest of it (see, Bloodline Seasons 2-3). :D

ResearchMed
Posts: 6868
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:42 pm

MJW wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:19 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:18 pm
Watched the first episode of Succession.

We weren't sure as it started, and almost turned it off, but couldn't quite do it.
That was our feeling through the entire episode.
Now we aren't sure we want to bother with Episode 2.

But... we aren't sure we *don't* want to watch Episode 2.
Oddly torn.

RM
Succession is on my list to check out after I finish The Sopranos.

Usually unless I'm completely put off/disinterested after the first episode I will give it a few episodes to see if I can get into the groove with it. Sometimes depending on what I watched last it takes me a few episodes of a new show to adjust to the change of pace.

Then again, I also have a tendency to start to not like a show by the middle of the season and then end up hate-watching the rest of it (see, Bloodline Seasons 2-3). :D
What is especially annoying is when they keep adding more seasons when they clearly have no more ideas, or no way to integrate whatever ideas they *do* have into the previous story lines.
And then it usually takes us too long to realize that there's no more "there" there... Waste of time.

One reason why we stuck with the first episode is that DH reminded me of "Billions".
That had a rather unexpected first episode, the very start. We were then expecting something totally different from what it turned out to be. (Trying NOT to mention too much to those who haven't seen it.) It turned out to be something we really enjoyed, especially thinking back to some real financial escapades.

We'll probably give Succession at least one more try, given the good reports about it.
But......

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by heartwood » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:55 pm

abner kravitz wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:40 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:18 pm
Watched the first episode of Succession.

We weren't sure as it started, and almost turned it off, but couldn't quite do it.
That was our feeling through the entire episode.
Now we aren't sure we want to bother with Episode 2.

But... we aren't sure we *don't* want to watch Episode 2.
Oddly torn.

RM
I was a little torn also after the 1st episode but ended up watching the whole season. I thought it got better and I enjoyed it.
we watched the whole season. I kept asking myself why I was watching. So much time with nothing moving the plot forward. It took me more than several episode to separate out who is whom and how they relate. With the exception of the family patriarch, Logan, (Rupert Murdoch?) all of the other characters are pretty despicable. Yes, its about succession in a global family owned media company. Not for the faint of heart if you're squeamish about sexual relations, debauchery, and language, language, language. Interestingly, for HBO, I don't recall any nudity, except for a distant shot at a rave. With the sons, daughters and relatives that Logan has to work with, he should disinherit them all, sell the company and start a foundation.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 5998
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by bertilak » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:01 pm
Death in Paradise, fans: Season 7 is now on Netflix
Woo-hoo! I really like the new guy: Ardal O'Hanlon as DI Jack Mooney.

O'Hanlon played Father Dougal McGuire, an outstanding role, on the Father Ted show. One of my favorite little skits was when Father Ted was explaining to Father Dougal the difference between toy cows on a table ("small") and real cows in the field visible through a window ("far").
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:44 pm

bertilak wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:01 pm
Death in Paradise, fans: Season 7 is now on Netflix
Woo-hoo! I really like the new guy: Ardal O'Hanlon as DI Jack Mooney.

O'Hanlon played Father Dougal McGuire, an outstanding role, on the Father Ted show. One of my favorite little skits was when Father Ted was explaining to Father Dougal the difference between toy cows on a table ("small") and real cows in the field visible through a window ("far").
The most astonishing thing to me about the series has been that when a season ends with the departure of the DI we are very disappointed, but when the subsequent season begins we are quite pleased with the new DI.

User avatar
House Blend
Posts: 4454
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by House Blend » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Recently watched Season 5 of Endeavor. (Streaming from PBS. You might need a "Passport" subscription to watch, or perhaps it is available from other streaming services.)

Overall it is well done, and there is an interesting parallel between it and Better Call Saul. In both cases we are watching a familar character at an earlier stage of their life. (Jimmy -> Saul, Endeavor -> Morse).

That said, it is hard to see much in common between the personalities of Endeavor and Morse. Presumably E is going to get jilted or left standing at the altar. This could account for much of the bitterness in M, but the differences between the two seem much greater than that. Part of it may just be that the two actors are so different. (John Thaw was absolutely terrific as Morse.)

Bob Odenkirk has the advantage that he is playing both roles.

User avatar
htdrag11
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by htdrag11 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:33 pm

I finished Season 5 and glad that there is Season 6.

Right now I'm streaming Killing Eve, finished Season 1, episodes 1-4. Sandra Oh is Eve, a terrific role for an Asian who plays the role as a Polish wife? For those who enjoy spy thrillers, this one is moving at breakneck (pun intended) speed. Season 2 is next year. Her nemesis is a young Brit Jodie Comer who is a very scary psychopath.

ResearchMed
Posts: 6868
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:44 pm
We hadn't kept up with "Suits", for a variety of reasons.
(For one thing, we had trouble with the underlying thesis, and then the ways the plot kept dodging it.)

But given the change in cast, mostly 3 key departing characters, we tried it again, first episode of new season.

Blech.

It was like there were new screenwriters, with little talent.
And even the better of the remaining actors... it's like they lost their talent, or changed their personalities.

I doubt we'll waste more time with this, especially since we weren't really enamored with the series recently anyway.
Good. It's no longer an excuse to waste time.

RM
We finally decided to give the new season of Suits another try, after the above described first episode.

OMG.

This was SO BAD.
I don't even know how to describe it.
It almost crossed over to really, really bad soft porn.
(We aren't prudes, but this was just so poorly done, as though they were trying to force something a bit edgy as something to keep the interest of viewers. It just didn't work. It was a huge FAIL, and just made the rest of the "story line" worse.)

As for that story line... it just doesn't work, either.
And some of the dialogue... !?
Can it possibly be the same writers??

Okay. It's obvious we *really* did not like this.
We will not be giving any more episodes a try. No point.

Anyone else see it?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

drawpoker
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by drawpoker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Impractical Jokers on TruTV channel. Every day, never miss it. Never disappoints!

rgs92
Posts: 2071
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by rgs92 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 pm

The only thing I watch anymore is the Simpsons.

MJW
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MJW » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:39 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 pm
Anyone else see it?
No, but you are sort of making me want to... :|

FunnelCakeBob
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by FunnelCakeBob » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:44 pm

The Expanse. Season 3.

This is the first time I ponied up money for a TV show. Watching Shohreh Agdashloo's character swear is worth every single penny. Love the sci-fi angle with realistic human drama.

MP173
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MP173 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Finished "Tin Star" on Amazon.

Interesting but violent show of an English cop and family who move to Big Bear Lake, Alberta where he is the Police Chief.

An oil company moves in to open a refinery and the calm peaceful town becomes a town with lots of violence and killing. It is being renewed for Season 2....not sure if we will watch it.

Making our way thru Sharp Objects every Sunday night on HBO.

ed

Johio
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Johio » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:24 pm

In the last few months I have watched Bosch, Goliath, Inspector Lewis, DI Banks, and Bailey & Scott. Now in the midst of watching NYPD Blue, which is an amazing series. Longmire is also worth watching, as is Hell on wheels.

User avatar
dumbbunny
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 pm
Location: Oregon coast

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by dumbbunny » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Upon a recommendation, I watched Hell on Wheels on Netflix. Thoroughly enjoyed the series. Now my wife and I are rewatching the ER series (YouTube TV) and when she is not in the viewing mood, I watch NYPD Blue on Amazon Prime.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

latesaver
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by latesaver » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:51 pm

i've been plowing through Bosch on Amazon Prime while riding the bike trainer. really enjoying it.

DelcoEE
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by DelcoEE » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:01 pm

I watched a few episodes of Silicon Valley because I had some young relatives (college age) visiting me last week and I thought it was very entertaining. I would definitely recommend for techies. The characters are supposed to be composites of Silicon Valley icons so there is a lot of inside humor that adds some flavor as well.

Post Reply