Do You Purchase "Medical Evacuation Insurance" When You Travel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LeftCoast

Re: Do You Purchase "Medical Evacuation Insurance" When You Travel?

Post by LeftCoast » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks so much for this thread! We are about to depart to Europe for a three-week trip. During the trip I turn 65, and my PPO insurance vanishes in favor of Medicare and a Medicare supplement plan. Medicare doesn't cover overseas medical costs, and my Medicare supplement plan only covers "stabilizing a life-threatening illness". As the cost of an annual plan is not much more than the cost to insure this one trip, I purchased an annual plan from GeoBlue that covers both medical expenses and medical evacuation.

Thanks for all the info.

jainn

Post by jainn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Good story regarding Amex Platinum Medical Evacuation benefit. This person purchased no extra coverage, only used what is included in the Amex Personal Platinum card.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... es-275000/

We looked into med/evac memberships with our family traveling for 3 months at a time before going back to a home base in the US....for now we are content with Amex Plat...have considered Global Rescue, as well as other 3rd party international medical insurance policies...for now we are OK with Amex Plat.
The American Express Platinum evacuation benefit was incredible. His flight home would have cost $275,000 otherwise.

He had a medically outfitted Gulfstream 100 come from Toronto with a Doctor, Paramedic, and Respiratory Technician. They had a hard time getting landing rights in Singapore so for a while it looked like they were going to take him by ambulance to Johor Bahru Malaysia to fly out. At the last minute they got the landing rights.

So they flew him home Singapore – Taipei – Sapporo – Anchorage – Calgary – Atlanta Peachtree Dekalb (PDK). The pilots changed a couple times but it was the same medical crew for the entire 25 hour flight + ambulance time.

My mom got to ride with him too although the Gulfstream G100 was at capacity so it was an uncomfortable journey. They sedated dad and gave him morphine for the trip home so he was zonked out the whole time.

SailingAway

Post by SailingAway » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:44 pm

We are out of the US about 90% of the time. We live on our boat and for the last 9 years we have sailed from the East Coast, US to New Zealand and have hit a good number of the spots along the way (some pretty desolate). DAN, Divers Alert Network, has provided us evacuation and other insurance since we left. It is ridiculously inexpensive and you don't have to be a diver to use it. While, we have never had to use it, thank goodness, we know 3 people who do what we do that have. In all 3 cases they were happy with the response they got from Dan and 2 (one was injury in South America and the other a heart attack in Bonaire) were transported back to the US and one chose to receive treatment where he was.

Another advantage we have found, that won't matter to most people, is that in countries like New Zealand, where our boat is presently, or French Polynesia, they are pretty determined to do their best to make sure you won't become a burden on their health care system. This isn't typically an issue
for normal tourists, but when we stayed in French Polynesia from 2014-2017 we submitted our DAN to them each year when they renewed our long stay visas and they accepted DAN as proof that if something bad happened we could be shipped back to the US for treatment if necessary. This year, New Zealand accepted it as well and they are pretty tough.

In our circle of friends, most have DAN, and to date I've never heard anything negative about their services.

Dick D

Post by Dick D » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:55 pm

We always purchase it when traveing outside the continental US.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:03 pm

jainn wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:30 pm
Good story regarding Amex Platinum Medical Evacuation benefit. This person purchased no extra coverage, only used what is included in the Amex Personal Platinum card.

We looked into med/evac memberships with our family traveling for 3 months at a time before going back to a home base in the US....for now we are content with Amex Plat...have considered Global Rescue, as well as other 3rd party international medical insurance policies...for now we are OK with Amex Plat.
The American Express Platinum evacuation benefit was incredible. His flight home would have cost $275,000 otherwise.

He had a medically outfitted Gulfstream 100 come from Toronto with a Doctor, Paramedic, and Respiratory Technician. They had a hard time getting landing rights in Singapore so for a while it looked like they were going to take him by ambulance to Johor Bahru Malaysia to fly out. At the last minute they got the landing rights.

So they flew him home Singapore – Taipei – Sapporo – Anchorage – Calgary – Atlanta Peachtree Dekalb (PDK). The pilots changed a couple times but it was the same medical crew for the entire 25 hour flight + ambulance time.

My mom got to ride with him too although the Gulfstream G100 was at capacity so it was an uncomfortable journey. They sedated dad and gave him morphine for the trip home so he was zonked out the whole time.
This is quite an amazing tale, and certainly speaks well for the Amex Plat service.

I had understood that they do not cover anything related to a pre-existing condition, so we need to double check if that is correct.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Gnirk wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:41 pm
Absolutely! We don't leave home without it (at least for international travel).
We took out our first "trip insurance" in 2010 before we embarked on a 10-day cruise from NY to Montreal. The reason was that my husband had previous medical issues, and even though I (thought I) was perfectly healthy, Medicare doesn't really cover us outside the US, and our Medicare Advantage plan only covered emergencies.

Husband had no issues on the trip, but the fourth day into it, I woke up in port in Nova Scotia and it was horribly obvious that I'd had a stroke during the night. Ship's medical crew had me off that ship and into an ambulance in no time. I spent 4 days in the hospital (which is no cost to Canadian Citizens, but $4,000+ per day for US Citizens) in Nova Scotia. Once stabilized, I was allowed to fly home. The aisle wheel chairs they use on the airplane are not fun, by the way.

The trip insurance covered my husband's hotel costs, ambulance, all hospital charges not covered by my Medicare Advantage plan , non-used portion of the cruise and already purchased tours, and would have medivac'd me to the US if I wanted to. It also covered changes in our flight tickets, and offered to have a nurse accompany me home on the flight.

It took three months of intense physical therapy at home to get back to mostly normal.

So yes, we always buy medical and evacuation insurance when traveling internationally.
SO glad that had a better outcome than it first seemed was going to be the ending.
How horrible!

We also ended up with a major claim the first time we used travel insurance, but fortunately, it wasn't as dramatic a situation as yours.

But we won't travel far without the coverage!

Now I'm looking into possible options instead of MedJetAssist, which we also hold, but an annual policy, so it covers business and casual trips throughout the USA during the year.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 am

I have travel insurance from an unexpected source - my disability insurance thru my employer has a medical evac rider. They don't cover medical expenses but my private health insurance will cover at its approved rates. It will also cover expenses for my companion to stay with me and return home.

When I went to South America, I decided I could afford the loss of the trip's expense (not covered under the travel insurance), so I declined the travel insurance that the tour company offered.

Fortunately, I did not need any, and had a great time. I find many of my co-workers are unaware of this rider.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:39 pm

Swimmer wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:13 am
I was told by Costco Citi Visa that their coverage dropped from $3000 to $1500 effective July 31, 2018.
Just called Costco Citi Visa, and was told coverage is still $3,000 per person.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:02 pm

For a routine trip, I do not pay for coverage.

When I am doing sports like skiing that have an elevated risk of injury that requires more than a few days care, I buy medical insurance that includes evacuation to us as needed. Sometimes a Visa requires this insurance.

I've never paid more than $20-23 for a half month coverage, per person.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:58 pm

There is a major difference between the travel insurance that includes evacuation and buying an evacuation policy. The trip insurance that includes evacuation YOU do NOT get to decide if you will be evacuated and to where. If you buy an evacuation policy such as Medjet Assist then if you don't like the hospital you are in you can call them for them to arrange evacuation for you. There is a bit more to it but basically those are some of the major differences.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:11 pm

I’m looking into getting insurance for a European trip that was charged entirely on my wife’s AmEx Platinum card. After reading the story quoted below I looked into what this card covers. I was shocked to find out that there is NO MEDICAL COVERAGE!! They cover accidents but specifically exclude stroke, heart attack, illness, surgery etc. I confirmed this with a phone rep. Here’s the plan documents - https://www.americanexpress.com/content ... _09-17.pdf
I can believe a card with a $550 annual fee gives you so little. And did I mention that she never got the 60,000 Membership Rewards points either?

jainn wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:30 pm