Ford Fusion under Safety Recall for 2 Years - Ford Can't Fix - help

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
highexpert

Re: Ford Fusion under Safety Recall for 2 Years - Ford Can't Fix - help

Post by highexpert » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:54 am

Call Ford and you will get a rental on them. I have been driving a 2018 Fusion AWD Titanium EcoBoost for 4 months now at their expense. The only thing you have to do is put gas in it. Enterprise pays for the oil changes and charges Ford $900 per month. We have been having a ball.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:39 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:17 pm
Not to defend Ford, but this Takata issue has impacted just about every manufacturer (~68M airbags), and we're all waiting - just like you. Not sure it's very fair to call out Ford when I can point to every major make & there's people in my vicinity waiting for the exact same thing.
This ^^^

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:39 am

cherijoh wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:48 pm
You can check your car by VIN number for recalls here.
This must have some age cutoff, since it does not recognize either of my cars by vin.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:22 am

mouses wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:39 am
cherijoh wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:48 pm
You can check your car by VIN number for recalls here.
This must have some age cutoff, since it does not recognize either of my cars by vin.
Could be. How old is your car? Mine's a 2010.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:33 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:03 am
Purely on principle I would at least send a letter directly to Ford threatening law suit within 14 days if not repaired, car bought back, or rental car provided for duration. And then file suit in small claims court if there is lack of positive response. The fundamental hassle factor to Ford in dealing with any legal proceeding will likely produce some action in your favor.
if the parts don't exist they don't exist. There are millions of vehicles affected by the takata recall (I have 2 personally).

Patience and consideration during extraordinary situations is called for.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:57 pm

clutchied wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:33 am
jabberwockOG wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:03 am
Purely on principle I would at least send a letter directly to Ford threatening law suit within 14 days if not repaired, car bought back, or rental car provided for duration. And then file suit in small claims court if there is lack of positive response. The fundamental hassle factor to Ford in dealing with any legal proceeding will likely produce some action in your favor.
if the parts don't exist they don't exist. There are millions of vehicles affected by the takata recall (I have 2 personally).

That notion is absolutely dead wrong. Filing a law suit if necessary in this case is 100% appropriate and is likely to persuade Ford to either expedite the repair, or for Ford to provide a reasonable rental car while Ford waits for parts.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:58 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:57 pm
clutchied wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:33 am

That patience and consideration notion is dead wrong. Filing a law suit if necessary in this case is 100% appropriate and is likely to persuade Ford to either expedite the repair, or for Ford to provide a reasonable rental car while Ford waits for parts.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 pm

highexpert wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:54 am
Call Ford and you will get a rental on them. I have been driving a 2018 Fusion AWD Titanium EcoBoost for 4 months now at their expense. The only thing you have to do is put gas in it. Enterprise pays for the oil changes and charges Ford $900 per month. We have been having a ball.
I have decided after all this time to get an Enterprise rental paid by Ford. Out of curiosity, how did they and you handle property and liability insurance on this?"
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:26 pm

highexpert wrote:
Boy......this sounds like a plan. My mom will have a new Subaru Legacy soon and the offer on trade for a 60k mile Fusion of hers was so low, she's giving it to me. I have no problem calling Ford and leaving my car with them. Do you get any choice on what they give you? I'd love to get a Focus RS....or even ST.....or what the heck, an SE hatch with a manual would be great. Or maybe a Mustang. :D
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:26 pm
highexpert wrote:
Boy......this sounds like a plan. My mom will have a new Subaru Legacy soon and the offer on trade for a 60k mile Fusion of hers was so low, she's giving it to me. I have no problem calling Ford and leaving my car with them. Do you get any choice on what they give you? I'd love to get a Focus RS....or even ST.....or what the heck, an SE hatch with a manual would be great. Or maybe a Mustang. :D
I am sorry to break your bubble. Ford does not supply the free rental directly. Ford has a contract with Enterprise auto rental. You get what they have. I received my free rental today. Enterprise first offered a Ford Focus. I said that was too small so they gave me 2017 Nissan Altima to use until my Ford Edge receives the replaced airbag. Ford does not know when they will receive them locally. They hope to have them by November, the local dealer. At least the Altima is a comfortable car to travel in.
I had to make a $50 deposit. I will get that back when the car is returned. In the meantime, Ford pays for the rental. I pay the gas.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Intheheadlights

Post by Intheheadlights » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:19 pm

I have a 2011 Fusion Hybrid also. I am dealing with the same issue. Our other car at the time was a 2013 Acura RDX, and the airbag was available very quickly. Of course, it appears the Acura/Honda airbag situation was more dangerous, hence, possibly, the quick response.

I also got the rental car & "don't sit in the front passenger seat" letter a few months ago, but I figured the best I could get for $30 a day was a small buzz box. Thanks for the info. I will call my dealer and Enterprise.

What is annoying is that I want to buy a new car, but the outstanding recall greatly reduces the Fusion's trade-in value, and I don't feel right about selling it myself before it has been fixed. The car has been wonderful: only one minor repair over eight years! Non-Ford dealers gave me the reason for the low offer; the Ford dealer did not.

Seems to me that Ford should offer a good trade-in deal on these cars. It might create some good will and save some money over $900/month rent.
I was going to buy another Fusion hybrid or energi, but now my plan is to buy a Clarity once my Fusion has been fixed.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 pm

I have a Lincoln Zephr that also has the passenger airbag issues. They did not have the part for 2+ years. But last week I got a letter from Ford/Lincoln that they now have the parts and I should schedule a repair. So I guess I will get mine fixed in the next month or so.

Maybe you can get your cars fixed as well as the Fusion is a clone of the Zephr/MKZ.

Good Luck.

SundayMorning

Post by SundayMorning » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:18 am

This week, I finally got my Ford Fusion airbag recall resolved after 2+ years . Had a rental car for just the last month before the parts were available. Was a frustrating process. Insult to injury, the local Ford dealer that provided the repair work had poor customer service / lack of communication. Only way to speak to a live human being was to arrive there in person. Got through once by using the Chat on their website and demanding that a human being call me back (since I could not get a live person by phone and no one returns voice mails there...)

No Ford's in my future, likely Honda's and Toyota's going forward.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 am

Sheepdog wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 pm
highexpert wrote:
I have decided after all this time to get an Enterprise rental paid by Ford. Out of curiosity, how did they and you handle property and liability insurance on this?"
Hello,

Does this strategy work if you bought your ford used from an Audi dealership? Should I contact Audi in this case?
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:08 pm

SundayMorning wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:18 am
This week, I finally got my Ford Fusion airbag recall resolved after 2+ years . Had a rental car for just the last month before the parts were available. Was a frustrating process. Insult to injury, the local Ford dealer that provided the repair work had poor customer service / lack of communication. Only way to speak to a live human being was to arrive there in person. Got through once by using the Chat on their website and demanding that a human being call me back (since I could not get a live person by phone and no one returns voice mails there...)

No Ford's in my future, likely Honda's and Toyota's going forward.
You do realize that Honda's have actually had the most severe problems with this right?? The reason they got the early replacements is because their air bags killed more people.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:08 pm

buccimane wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 am
Sheepdog wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 pm
highexpert wrote:
Hello,

Does this strategy work if you bought your ford used from an Audi dealership? Should I contact Audi in this case?
The recall is for the automobile which was recalled, not from the dealer you bought it from. Have you received a recall notice from Ford? You should have received one if there was a recall, if Ford had been notified that you were the new owner. If you haven't, and you would like to confirm there has not been a recall for your car, contact your local Ford dealer OR you can go to this website https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/ma ... calls.html , and add your car's VIN number to see if there has been a recall for it, not only this recall, but any recall. I would do the latter now. If your car is listed, then call your local Ford dealer.

If you had received the recall notice, then you should contact your local Ford dealer (not the Audi dealer) to register your car and your name and address so that they can contact you. You can ask about the rental then also if yours is on the list.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:32 pm

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 pm
I am hoping there is someone out there with experience in this or a good lawyer I can contact. In July of 2016 I was notified my Ford Fusion 2011 Hybrid had the infamous "Takata air bag" problem. In that recall It said do not have anyone sit in the front passenger seat - making the car a motorcycle essentially. Ridiculous.

Here it is December 2018 and they still do not have parts to repair it. A letter I received today said it will be the spring at the earliest for parts availability. In the meantime:
  • No one can sit in the front passenger seat making the car a "3 seater" and having the ridiculous situation where if my wife and I have to travel,
    someone has to sit in the front seat.
  • Making the car worthless - who would buy this - even a dealer would not take it.
  • Ford could care less.. no offer of compensation and no buy back of the car
So, any thoughts on what to do here. Ford is really a disgrace as it comes to this. The dealer tried to blame it on the supplier - I agree it is the supplier's fault but do they expect the consumer to certify the tier II and III suppliers? That is their problem.

Thoughts?
Just remove the airbag? Safer to drive that way..

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:50 am

Sheepdog wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:08 pm
OR you can go to this website https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/ma ... calls.html , and add your car's VIN number to see if there has been a recall for it, not only this recall, but any recall. I would do the latter now. If your car is listed, then call your local Ford dealer.

Thank you Sheepdog.

I did receive the air bag recall notice. I'll be following the steps provided.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Wyseson

Post by Wyseson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:37 am

SundayMorning wrote:
What model year Fusion do you have? I have a 2010 and dealer says no ETA on parts. Dealer gave me 2018 base Fusion for rental.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:39 am

Wyseson wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:37 am
SundayMorning wrote:
What model year Fusion do you have? I have a 2010 and dealer says no ETA on parts. Dealer gave me 2018 base Fusion for rental.
Can speak specifically about the Fusion recall, but in general the parts are being made geographically, with preference to hot and humid climates. Based on the probability that the original defective propellant is more likely to degrade in that climate.

SundayMorning

Post by SundayMorning » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 am

Wyseson wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:37 am

Mine is a 2007 Fusion. I think you will find that parts get prioritized when the meter is running with your rental. In our case, the parts magically were available within a couple days of when were about to sign up for another 30 day rental contract with Enterprise.

SundayMorning

Post by SundayMorning » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 am

MichCPA wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:08 pm
You do realize that Honda's have actually had the most severe problems with this right?? The reason they got the early replacements is because their air bags killed more people.
Well aware of Honda's airbag recall, as well as the lengths Honda has gone to respond.

My dissatisfaction with Ford has less to do about the airbag /recall itself or my Fusion. Rather, their pattern of deny, deflect, delay, and attitude. Poor communication and bad customer service both at the Corporate level and my nearest local dealer's service dept.

Therefore, no more Fords for me going forward.