WiFi router

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mxs

WiFi router

Post by mxs » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:30 pm

I will be moving soon and going from 6/1 Mbps ATT DSL to 150/25 Mbps Fiber. We have an older DSL modem/router and would like to get a new modern router that will hopefully work well up to 100 feet away. I see lots of routers for sale at high prices for Gigabit internet, but we won't have that and may never have that unless that becomes the new minimum. Seriously, we get by just fine with 6/1, so 150/25 will be ludicrous speed for us, and mostly unused. For what it is worth, the fiber company offers the following speeds...
150/25, 300/50, 500/75, 750/100, 1,000/200

Fiber company provides the fiber modem at no charge, so we just need to buy a router for one desktop computer and currently 2 phones semi frequently used, 2 tablets infrequently used. House will be two story home with unfinished basement, roughly 2100 finished square feet and 80x180 feet lot (I think).

If there is any other information you need, please let me know.

student

Re: WiFi router

Post by student » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:33 pm

You can either get a set of https://store.google.com/us/product/goo ... n?hl=en-US which I find expensive. I recommend https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Band-AiMesh ... sus+router and one is enough.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:08 pm

That ASUS router seems nice, but a little high priced perhaps? For reference, I am coming from the ARRIS NVG510, a 2.4 GHz only N router with 2x2 antenna at 400 mW.

I was reading the PC Mag article on the best routers of 2018 here https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp
and considering D-Link AC1200 https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-AC1200-Wi ... ref=plSrch

Linksys AC1200+ https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EA6350-W ... ref=plSrch

Or
TP Link AC 1750
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-S ... ref=plSrch

All options <$100

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:09 pm

Speed-wise, just about any new wifi router will provide what you need. Getting 2400 sq ft, 3 floor coverage including some outside is asking a LOT of a single wireless AP regardless of brand or price point. I'm guessing your existing router just doesn't provide the coverage you're looking for, as it can likely handle the speeds you're talking.

If you're looking to buy new, for a single all-in-one wifi router, I'd look at a Netgear Nighthawk that has AC coverage. You're probably looking at $150+ for the model that will best cover the range, wireless frequencies, etc.

You could go mesh, but now you're talking $200-400. Amplifi, Netgear Orbi, etc. I'm not fan of the Google wifi for various reasons, but that is another popular offering. The mesh will help with expanding wifi coverage, but at a cost... and TBH, you'd be better off just placing a couple wireless access points around the house with Ethernet backhual... but that takes work.

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:56 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:09 pm
Speed-wise, just about any new wifi router will provide what you need. Getting 2400 sq ft, 3 floor coverage including some outside is asking a LOT of a single wireless AP regardless of brand or price point. I'm guessing your existing router just doesn't provide the coverage you're looking for, as it can likely handle the speeds you're talking.

If you're looking to buy new, for a single all-in-one wifi router, I'd look at a Netgear Nighthawk that has AC coverage. You're probably looking at $150+ for the model that will best cover the range, wireless frequencies, etc.

You could go mesh, but now you're talking $200-400. Amplifi, Netgear Orbi, etc. I'm not fan of the Google wifi for various reasons, but that is another popular offering. The mesh will help with expanding wifi coverage, but at a cost... and TBH, you'd be better off just placing a couple wireless access points around the house with Ethernet backhual... but that takes work.
Just curious, what are the drawbacks you see with Google WiFi other than the cost?

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:32 pm

An orbi may be more than what you need but has worked well for us. Much better for streaming Netflix and no issues over the 8 months we've had it. No more dead spots in our house.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:00 am

Just spend the money and get the mesh system. It works so well and the Google one is so robust that my wifi went from annoying to troubleshoot before it to totally stable for the 2 years I've been using it.

Seiriously, the moment the web goes down and you start troubleshooting it, the Google WiFi phone app makes it so fast And easy that you'll make back the cost oof the system in time saved compared to a nonmesh system.

The pricey nonmesh routers are faster in the right setups but mine totally failed to reach far points in the house and garage whereas he mesh makes it no problems at speed.

Momus

Post by Momus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:03 am

If you have a typical home, 3000 sqft, a mesh router is NOT necessary. Just get a good router, it will be enough to cover a 3000-3500 sqft home.

EA8500 AC2600
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linksys-Max-St ... 2122!US!-1
1.4 GHz dual-core processor
4x4 Wireless-AC delivers 4 streams of data
4 adjustable antennas

I doubt you can find a cheaper router with a great spec than this.

VaR

Post by VaR » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:27 am

We got the Google mesh router for a 1600 sq ft home that had wifi problems before. Never looked back.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:40 am

Momus wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:03 am
If you have a typical home, 3000 sqft, a mesh router is NOT necessary. Just get a good router, it will be enough to cover a 3000-3500 sqft home.

EA8500 AC2600
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linksys-Max-St ... 2122!US!-1
1.4 GHz dual-core processor
4x4 Wireless-AC delivers 4 streams of data
4 adjustable antennas

I doubt you can find a cheaper router with a great spec than this.
My Netgear nighthawk highly rated router couldn't make it through the walls in my 2200 sq ft home. It does depend on your home, router setup, etc.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:42 am

Adjustable external antennas can make a big difference. Also, consider placement of the router. If you can have it up high, away from walls and floors, not hidden in a cabinet, in a central location, then you are much more likely to be able to get satisfactory coverage with a conventional router.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:17 am

Google Wi-fi. I've tried a lot of different solutions over the years and the Google Wi-Fi kills them all. I get great/fast reception on all 3 levels of our house and even decent coverage to our wifi cameras outside.

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:22 am

love our mesh Eero.

mxs

Post by mxs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 am

After looking at the responses and available options, it looks like I have three general options.

1. Buy a good single router and hope for the best. (Netgear Nighthawk ~$150)
2. Buy a cheaper router to save money and see what happens. (Multiple options <$100)
3. Buy a mesh system. (Tenda Nova MW6 3-pack for $150, or other more expensive options)

I am going to try Option #3 and see how it goes. It appears to give the speed I need with a little extra should speeds go up, and a lot of coverage so I should be able to put the modem/main router in either the front or middle of main floor, second unit towards rear of house, and third unit either on second floor or towards front of main floor.

Reviews of the Tenda Nova MW6 seem mostly positive, especially considering the price. Anyone have experience with this?

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:28 am

+1 on the Google Wifi and Eero. Orbi also gets good reviews but the units are much larger than with Google or Eero. Any of these will make wifi woes a thing of the past. And they're much more attractive than those "upside down spider" routers with ugly antennae sticking out. (Yes it does boost signal strength, but not enough to overcome the advantages of a multi-unit system like Google Wifi or Eero).

An economical option would be to start with one Google Wifi unit, and add a second on the other floor if reception isn't good enough with one. The space is not huge so I think two units would be enough. A single Google Wifi unit worked well for us in a larger space but that was a one-level home.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:55 am

mxs wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 am
After looking at the responses and available options, it looks like I have three general options.

2. Buy a cheaper router to save money and see what happens. (Multiple options <$100)
3. Buy a mesh system. (Tenda Nova MW6 3-pack for $150, or other more expensive options)

I am going to try Option #3 and see how it goes. It appears to give the speed I need with a little extra should speeds go up, and a lot of coverage so I should be able to put the modem/main router in either the front or middle of main floor, second unit towards rear of house, and third unit either on second floor or towards front of main floor.

Reviews of the Tenda Nova MW6 seem mostly positive, especially considering the price. Anyone have experience with this?
My opinion is that is if you have to ask for assistance on choosing a wifi router, then Google WiFi is a great option for you. It's the simplest to setup, debug, and maintain. I got the 4 pack at Costco for $299. I used two in my own house (2200 sq ft) and will setup the other two at my parent's and in-law's house. No fuss setup, no fuss remote view app. Even in this thread, there are multiple recommendations for it, and yet you left it off your list. :confused

If you want something more powerful and don't mind getting into networking (and I mean really getting into it), look into Ubiquiti. That was my original plan till I tried the google pucks.

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:06 am

I swear by ASUS routers. If you want reliability and quality for cheap - you can get an ASUS AC1900 refurbished from T-mobile on Amazon for like $50.

furwut

Post by furwut » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:12 am

Many of the modern modems supplied by the telcom companies include WiFi router functionality.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 am

802.11ac with MU-MIMO is the latest technology. https://www.linksys.com/us/r/resource-c ... s-mu-mimo/. I was in your shoes recently and I found that Linksys sells certified refurbished units for a substantial discount. There are a lot of Linksys refurbished units for sale on their website, or Amazon. I picked up the EA7400 for $25 even though it retails for around $200 (I think this offer is now sold out). I'm getting 225 mbps download on my laptop on a 200 mbps cable internet connection (go figure).

PDXAussie

Post by PDXAussie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 am

If you are looking for a cheaper mesh option then I recommend checking out the Tenda Nova MW3. You can get a set of 3 on Amazon for $130 or if you are not in a rush you can order them from AliExpress and pay $90 for a set of 3.

Tenda provides an app that makes the setup and control of the network really simple. The routers come pre-synced with each other so it is basically as plug and play as you can get.

Momus

Post by Momus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:00 pm

supalong52 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 am
802.11ac with MU-MIMO is the latest technology. https://www.linksys.com/us/r/resource-c ... s-mu-mimo/. I was in your shoes recently and I found that Linksys sells certified refurbished units for a substantial discount. There are a lot of Linksys refurbished units for sale on their website, or Amazon. I picked up the EA7400 for $25 even though it retails for around $200 (I think this offer is now sold out). I'm getting 225 mbps download on my laptop on a 200 mbps cable internet connection (go figure).
Same, I got the EA8500 AC2600 4x4 mu-mimo I listed above for $60 hahaha... couldn't be happier, placed it in middle of the house, 0 deadspots, mesh system is overpriced, slow and overrated for an average house.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:27 pm

student wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:33 pm
You can either get a set of https://store.google.com/us/product/goo ... n?hl=en-US which I find expensive. I recommend https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Band-AiMesh ... sus+router and one is enough.
I cannot recommend the ASUS routers enough. Our home is little larger than the OP home (2,700 square feet) but upgrading to a similar ASUS router recently improved the coverage throughout our home dramatically.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

Ged

Post by Ged » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 pm

LawyersGunsAndMoney wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:06 am
I swear by ASUS routers. If you want reliability and quality for cheap - you can get an ASUS AC1900 refurbished from T-mobile on Amazon for like $50.
Katietsu wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:42 am
Also, consider placement of the router. If you can have it up high, away from walls and floors, not hidden in a cabinet, in a central location, then you are much more likely to be able to get satisfactory coverage with a conventional router.
I have used a wall mounted Asus AC66R for several years now at one end of a 2200 sq ft house with no issues. In particular I like ASUS firmware a LOT. It's based on open software which is updated quite frequently. Lots of security updates. Highly recommend the ASUS models that use their open source based firmware. I have a lot of devices - smart TV, network aware BD player, distributed music system, 4 PCs, tablets, Kindle, work laptops and phones in the house. The work laptops are on their own guest network so they have no visibility into the home network.

When I first wall mounted my router at eye height I noticed much better signal quality at the extremes of the house. Makes a real difference.

Google mesh routers are no doubt technically excellent. It's the privacy notice that gives me pause. I'd rather not have my router capable of collecting and uploading data on me thank you.

The ASUS will also act as a VPN router if you are interested in adding that level of privacy.
Last edited by Ged on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

AndMan

Post by AndMan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Had no issues with the google wifi system in a home that had serious wifi reception issues in the past.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Asus has added mesh network capability to a lot of their routers. One option is to buy one, and if it does not work well then add another that is on the list of mesh capable ones.
They call their system aimesh, this site gives a list of compatible routers. You can mix and match.
https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/

mageedge

Post by mageedge » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 pm

mxs wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 am

I got the Tenda mesh system about 3 weeks ago (Amazon $149 3-pack), replacing an Asus ac1900.
It has been a very successful transition. 2 units cover the main 2 story house, 3rd unit is in a separate "granny flat" about 25 feet from main house. Reception is excellent in all locations. Very little speed loss on the remote units.
The Asus covered the main house fine but was "iffy" in the granny flat.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Google Mesh.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:17 pm

Dyloot wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:56 pm
Just curious, what are the drawbacks you see with Google WiFi other than the cost?
Ged wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 pm
I'd rather not have my router capable of collecting and uploading data on me thank you.
Google Wifi, and most of the residential mesh products on the market, use "the cloud" for managing your wifi. Meaning, when you buy and setup Google Wifi, all of your settings, passwords and other such data that would usually live on the little box you purchased that probably sits in your office or basement, now sits in Google's cloud (data center) and they have full access to anything & everything configured on and passing through your wireless. And if you know anything about Google, e.g. Search, privacy is not exactly their forte. Yes, their privacy policy says they won't monitor your network use... Sorry, no thanks. There's no reason to trust them, esp when there's other similar products on the market that are better and don't rely on a shady trust model.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:44 am

Another huge fan of Asus wireless routers here. At least in the consumer sector. For their reliability, quality, and frequent firmware updates with security features. I'm still getting several updates/year on my RT-N66U. Most of the major brands out there abandon their products after 2-3 years.

FYI: The first 802.11ax devices should start being available Fall 2018, if you're willing to wait. Should offer some improvements over 802.11ac (even Wave 2) in both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands, such as improved speed, capacity (more devices talking at once), beamforming, and security. And more compatible with the WPA3 certification.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 am

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:44 am
FYI: The first 802.11ax devices should start being available Fall 2018, if you're willing to wait. Should offer some improvements over 802.11ac (even Wave 2) in both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands, such as improved speed, capacity (more devices talking at once), beamforming, and security. And more compatible with the WPA3 certification.
All of my current devices are maxed out by the 5 year old AC66R router I have. However it's likely I'll be getting a 802.11ax based laptop when they become available, which will be the trigger for a new ASUS router. Hope it will be easy to wall mount.

One of the interesting aspects of these routers is that there is a small maker community that sells 3D printed wall mount brackets for routers. I didn't need that for the AC66R - just some standoffs to provide air flow behind the router was enough to make a substantial difference to the surface temperature of the router. But some of the more elaborate routers need more help.

Here's a link:

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=AS ... 4d1b306336

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:42 am

killjoy2012 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:17 pm
Google Wifi, and most of the residential mesh products on the market, use "the cloud" for managing your wifi. Meaning, when you buy and setup Google Wifi, all of your settings, passwords and other such data that would usually live on the little box you purchased that probably sits in your office or basement, now sits in Google's cloud (data center) and they have full access to anything & everything configured on and passing through your wireless. And if you know anything about Google, e.g. Search, privacy is not exactly their forte. Yes, their privacy policy says they won't monitor your network use... Sorry, no thanks. There's no reason to trust them, esp when there's other similar products on the market that are better and don't rely on a shady trust model.
One of the problems I have with Google is their privacy polices mutate over time. While not too big a deal for a browser that you can swap out at any time at no cost, tying that to hardware is a potential cost barrier to the end user.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:27 am

Heh, as much as I love Asus wireless routers (and am using one as we speak in access point mode), I couldn't imagine the aesthetics of mounting one on the ceiling, especially the big ones with 8 antennas. I'm personally waiting for the Ubiquiti UniFi nanoHD to come out. Maybe in that marble skin. It's "only" 802.11ac Wave 2 4x4, but it'll exceed my needs for a few years until 802.11ax gets more market share.

(Note: For advanced users only. These are access points, not routers. But they're gorgeous!)

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am

We now use the ASUS mesh system, which has worked extremely well in our three-level 2,800 square foot house.

We implemented it using one of their higher-end routers, but if you wish to spend less you can implement it using moremlodest routers.

More information here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Mesh ... stem-Home/

Andy.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am

Ged wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:42 am
killjoy2012 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:17 pm
One of the problems I have with Google is their privacy polices mutate over time. While not too big a deal for a browser that you can swap out at any time at no cost, tying that to hardware is a potential cost barrier to the end user.
+1 to Ged's and killjoy2012's posts. I'm sure people will be satisfied with the performance of Google WiFi, but I have concerns over privacy as well. (Hypocritically, I am an Android user with a Google Pixel 2 phone. But I disable giving Google any Wi-Fi passwords.) I'd hate to give Google access to my WPA2 passwords as part of using Google Wi-Fi (is it mandatory?). All sorts of unintended consequences could happen with that including court order/subpoena/National Security Letter/gag order. But mostly so they can potentially data mine my external web browsing habits and my internal LAN setups, all MAC addresses of all computers in my home and all sorts of private, internal data. Google could know I have a ____-branded TV, 3 smartphones in the house, an iPad, 4 Windows laptops from Dell and HP, etc.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:42 am

Pro-tip for privacy that works on everyone's Wi-Fi networks. There are publicly available databases that keep track of Wi-Fi networks worldwide and map them to GPS coordinates. This helps improve Location Services, for one thing. But it can also increase the ability of people to stalk you in various ways by monitoring the signals coming from your phone as you go about your day and can find out where you live, where you work, and where you frequent.

The Google "Street View" cars have Wi-Fi equipment on board that, in addition to taking street level photos of your house also listen to all Wi-Fi networks in the area, their SSIDs, MAC Address, and approximate GPS coordinates. Apple, Microsoft, Mozilla, and others have their own Wi-Fi databases.

One such database is WiGLE. You can use their map to find millions of Wi-Fi networks worldwide and search by network name, MAC, etc. And probably find yourself.

Actionable: To opt out of Google's and Mozilla's mapping/tracking of your Wi-Fi network, simply append "_nomap" to your Network Name (SSID). So if your SSID is "I Love Bogleheads" you'd simply make it "I Love Bogleheads_nomap"

I don't think it's pretty, but it's the current procedure.

Sources:
1) Google: Control access point inclusion in Google's Location services

2) Mozilla: Mozilla Location Service Opt-Out

Edited to Add: Using a hidden SSID will also keep you out of Google's, Mozilla's, and others' maps, but the trade-off is it can actually decrease the privacy of your network in some ways because instead of your phone or laptop finding your Access Point by the beacons the Access Point puts out ("Here I am!"), it instead relies on Probe Requests sent out by your phone or laptop, "Marco? Marco? Marco?" as you go about your day. This makes your phone or laptop constantly broadcast to the world what your hidden home network is instead of keeping quiet. I don't recommend using hidden SSID names as a privacy measure at all. It decreases privacy in many ways.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:27 am
Heh, as much as I love Asus wireless routers (and am using one as we speak in access point mode), I couldn't imagine the aesthetics of mounting one on the ceiling, especially the big ones with 8 antennas. I'm personally waiting for the Ubiquiti UniFi nanoHD to come out. Maybe in that marble skin. It's "only" 802.11ac Wave 2 4x4, but it'll exceed my needs for a few years until 802.11ax gets more market share.

(Note: For advanced users only. These are access points, not routers. But they're gorgeous!)
They're already out. B&H Photo has them in stock, $179/ea. I've already purchased 2 from B&H and installed in the house last weekend. But this option is not for people who are afraid to run Ethernet cables for backhaul, or are not computer literate enough to setup the Unifi controller. Also, the mid-to-high end Netgear Nighthawk routers will beat the Unifi APs in a single user max speed test, but the Unifi gear provides better and more reliable coverage throughout the house/garage/yard, etc. And is more easily managed once setup.

mxs

Post by mxs » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:20 pm

Update -

I went with the Tenda Nova MW6 and I am very happy with it. It took me less than 10 minutes to completely setup, including downloading their app, plugging in and positioning all three devices, and walking around the house to check for dead spots. I am very happy with the device, ease of use, and price. My phone is consistently getting 120 to 150 Mbps connection everywhere on my lot inside and outside of the house.

student

Post by student » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:17 am

Thanks for the update.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:06 am

you'd be better off just placing a couple wireless access points around the house with Ethernet backhual... but that takes work.
I have tried that approach but making it seamless i.e. using the same SSID/pwd gets me in to some weird behavior on the clients. If I have the SSID named differently, then I have to manually keep on selecting the AP on the client.

If I can get a single good coverage AP cheap which will hook up seamlessly to my main VZ router, I would be all set.

Given that my house already has ethernet wiring in almost all the rooms, I am reluctant to do the on air mesh as that should NOT be necessary.

Material Guy

Post by Material Guy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am

Google WiFi users:

Are you limited in terms of maximum WiFi speeds if you have gigabit internet? I am looking to replace an Apple Airport Extreme and this was one of the limitations mentioned online.

In other words, if you have gigabit internet, which mesh system is the best for maximum (AC) WiFi speeds?

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 am

mxs wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:30 pm
I will be moving soon and going from 6/1 Mbps ATT DSL to 150/25 Mbps Fiber.

Fiber company provides the fiber modem at no charge
Fiber doesn't require a 'modem', a modem is for changing signals between analog and digital, something that fiber doesn't need

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:56 pm

I love my Orbi, I think its well worth the price compared to trying to hack up your own APs around the house with how it will seamlessly hand off your connection to a better satellite as you move about your house with your mobile device.

gold99xx

Post by gold99xx » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:21 pm

Orbi, I live in a THICK walled concrete apt and I have dead spots... No more.

Orbi back channels the data

Google replicates

Its simple tech if you wanna look into it via a simple internet search.

Get the one that has the backchanneling NOT the replicating...

Trust us

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:24 am

Do Orbi or Tenda need email address (and cloud connection) for the router to work? I want my routers to NEVER contact anybody outside on its own. I do NOT want it to "auto-update" itself. If I go through all the trouble to set it up and get it to work, I want it to stay working for years, say like, my blender instead like my phone.

Almost every device which "auto-updates" eventually makes itself unusable because the latest and greatest code that it loads becomes too much for that old piece of hardware.

Do Orbi or Tenda have ability to use existing ethernet cabling in house to backhaul?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:34 am

Material Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am
Google WiFi users:

Are you limited in terms of maximum WiFi speeds if you have gigabit internet? I am looking to replace an Apple Airport Extreme and this was one of the limitations mentioned online.

In other words, if you have gigabit internet, which mesh system is the best for maximum (AC) WiFi speeds?
Google Wi-Fi uses AC1200 technology. Google Wifi isn’t capable of the AC3000 or even AC2200 throughput.

You can find the standards for AC1200, AC2200 and AC3000 with a search.

With gigabit, you also need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. 3.0 can't scale up that high.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

mxs

Post by mxs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:48 pm

F150HD wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 am
mxs wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:30 pm
I will be moving soon and going from 6/1 Mbps ATT DSL to 150/25 Mbps Fiber.

Fiber company provides the fiber modem at no charge
Fiber doesn't require a 'modem', a modem is for changing signals between analog and digital, something that fiber doesn't need
The internet company installed a box, call it a modem or something else, that I plug in a network cable for internet and a phone cable for phone service. I went with the Tenda MW6 and have had zero issues. I put one Tenda box by the "modem", one by the desktop computer with a network cable to the desktop to provide it internet, and one box upstairs to get good signal everywhere and supply my needs.

For $150 the Tenda is a great deal. Everything else I have seen is more $$$ for features I don't need.

mxs

Post by mxs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:52 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:24 am
Do Orbi or Tenda need email address (and cloud connection) for the router to work? I want my routers to NEVER contact anybody outside on its own. I do NOT want it to "auto-update" itself. If I go through all the trouble to set it up and get it to work, I want it to stay working for years, say like, my blender instead like my phone.

Almost every device which "auto-updates" eventually makes itself unusable because the latest and greatest code that it loads becomes too much for that old piece of hardware.

Do Orbi or Tenda have ability to use existing ethernet cabling in house to backhaul?
I believe Tenda can backhaul. It uses an app to setup, but I think you can turn updates off or ignore them.