Savings Bond Wizard replacement is available

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Sheepdog

Savings Bond Wizard replacement is available

Post by Sheepdog »

The Savings Bond Wizard no longer is available to be updated. However, the Savings Bond Calculator offers some of the same features and you can export your bond inventory from the Wizard to the Calculator.
Treasury Direct has issued instructions on how to do it at https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/to ... wizard.htm

I have not attempted it yet.
Jim
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Groundhog

Re: Savings Bond Wizard replacement is available

Post by Groundhog »

Thanks, I'll have to check it out myself.
Topic Author
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Groundhog wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 pm Thanks, I'll have to check it out myself.
I completed the transfer to the calculator of my 105 bonds. It works, but I preferred the Wizard....maybe it is because I am used to the Wizard more. I am pleased, though, that all my bond values are there and I can look ahead to see the value of them for each of the next 6 months as I could with the Wizard.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

In addition, you can save the inventory as a .htm file to your local drive for future update.
bhtomj

Post by bhtomj »

I prefer the calculator and converted to it a few years ago.
Once you save your inventory to an HTML file, you can reconnect to update values and bonds.
The problem is if you miss entering a bond they get out of sequence.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

The Wizard gives you the current composite rate and the yield to date. The calculator only appears to give you the composite rate.
BMW

Post by BMW »

Saved the files as directed, but the calculator did not work for me. Have three sets/files of bonds. The first one came up, once and only once -- but not with a new date, and never again. The other two files never would open even once in the calculator.

WHY, WHY, WHY did Treasury take away a tool that people used, liked, and had the files already built for (hundreds of bonds)? VERY frustrating and disappointing.
mslaw

Post by mslaw »

Are you using the serial number of your U.S. Savings Bonds in the Calculator? I have seen some internet discussion concerning security issues, that in listing the Savings Bonds data in the Calculator, it is prudent to exclude the serial numbers.

Treasury Hunt has been replaced by FS Form 1048 which asks for the serial number in locating any lost or destroyed bonds.
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/forms/sav1048.pdf
smectym

Post by smectym »

Somewhat bemused that no third-party app provider has stepped into the void and offered a replacement for SBW. But that sends a signal: not too many of us old fools still messing around with their quaint savings bonds

Smectym
maywood

Post by maywood »

BMW, maybe I can help your problem. I also have several different bond lists/files, one for me, one for each child and one for parents. Figured out (with tip in the instructions) that you have to delete your browsing history every time you open up a different file/set of bonds. It's a pain but it works. Otherwise I had the same problem you did. So after you view one file, close that tab, delete browsing history, then open the new file. My browser is IE 11.

maywood
slug

Post by slug »

Have any of you just converted from paper? I'm considering it now that I no longer have easy access. If you have do you know if you can just import the Wizard file to do the conversion rather than hand-entering every bond again?
Personal Finance Blogger at [b]Sunk Costs are Irrelevant[/b] --> currently on hiatus
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

slug wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:37 pm Have any of you just converted from paper? I'm considering it now that I no longer have easy access. If you have do you know if you can just import the Wizard file to do the conversion rather than hand-entering every bond again?
The online procedure is still the same. One needs to enter one bond at a time (serial number, amount and purchase month) and there is not an option to upload such information.
slug

Post by slug »

Thanks, I figured it was still dark ages over there, but I was hopeful.
Personal Finance Blogger at [b]Sunk Costs are Irrelevant[/b] --> currently on hiatus
rmgflorida

Post by rmgflorida »

My Savings Bond Wizard was not working, so I uninstalled it planning to install again. The I learned that it was no longer available. Is there anywhere I can get SBW so I can export my files?
maywood

Post by maywood »

Hmm, worst case you could email your savings bond wizard files to someone who still has the wizard, and they could export and email you the exported file back. I think I still have my wizard installed.

maywood
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

One needs to enter one bond at a time (serial number, amount and purchase month) and there is not an option to upload such information.
Wow! That is one big change!
Topic Author
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I am attempting to download the Dec 2018-May 2019 Savings 'Bond Value Files. All I get is numbers gibberish. The earlier one in May worked fine. Is anyone successfully downloading it?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Are you using Windows 10?
Topic Author
Sheepdog

Re: Savings Bond Wizard replacement is available (UPDATE NOV. 2018 PROBLEM)

Post by Sheepdog »

HueyLD wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:01 pm Are you using Windows 10?
No...Windows 7 as I used earlier. Have you tried downloading the new files ?
Last edited by Sheepdog on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

No. Since I no longer own any paper bonds, it is easier for me to just log in and get the values.
Topic Author
Sheepdog

Re: Savings Bond Wizard replacement is available (UPDATE NOV 2018 PROBLEM)

Post by Sheepdog »

HueyLD wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:12 pm No. Since I no longer own any paper bonds, it is easier for me to just log in and get the values.
Maybe someone else will see this to advise. UPDATE NOVEMBER 2018 PROBLEM
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

Sheepdog wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 am I am attempting to download the Dec 2018-May 2019 Savings 'Bond Value Files. All I get is numbers gibberish. The earlier one in May worked fine. Is anyone successfully downloading it?
The Savings Bond Value Files are "numbers gibberish" except to software that understands the file format. Are you using the same software on the Dec 2018-May 2019 file as you used with the May file (presumably the one with the URL https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/tools/sb201806.asc)? If using the same software, are you sure that you used it on a Savings Bond Value File, as opposed to some other file with a different format that software was written to use?
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Sheepdog wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 am I am attempting to download the Dec 2018-May 2019 Savings 'Bond Value Files. All I get is numbers gibberish. The earlier one in May worked fine. Is anyone successfully downloading it?
The IRS discontinued support for the Savings Bond Wizard on 6/1/18. The 5/1/18 update of the data files was the last one there will be.

You have to export your data and use the Savings Bond Calculator. It is not nearly as useful.
Topic Author
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

FactualFran wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:42 pm
The Savings Bond Value Files are "numbers gibberish" except to software that understands the file format. Are you using the same software on the Dec 2018-May 2019 file as you used with the May file (presumably the one with the URL https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/tools/sb201806.asc)? If using the same software, are you sure that you used it on a Savings Bond Value File, as opposed to some other file with a different format that software was written to use?
Thanks. Yes,I am using everything the same. Are YOU downloading? I have sent an email to the Treas to see what they say.
Topic Author
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Spirit Rider wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:48 pm
The IRS discontinued support for the Savings Bond Wizard on 6/1/18. The 5/1/18 update of the data files was the last one there will be.

You have to export your data and use the Savings Bond Calculator. It is not nearly as useful.
I am no longer using the Wizard and I didn't last May either. Since then I used the Savings Bond Calculator which is what I am referring to.. It worked perfectly 6 months ago.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I turned on my old windows 7 machine and the file upload (into the calculator) and download (saved file out of the calculator) worked smoothly. I used FireFox.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

tracking, thanks
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

Sheepdog wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:42 pm Thanks. Yes,I am using everything the same. Are YOU downloading? I have sent an email to the Treas to see what they say.
I have downloaded Savings Bond Value Files in the past and used them with software that understands the format of those files.

I doubt if the, no longer supported, Savings Bond Wizard used a Savings Bond Values file. An older version of Savings Bond Wizard - Updating the Database web page indicates that its database could be manually updated by downloading a file named sbwcrv.exe, running the Savings Bond Wizard, and using its Tools menu bar to have the Savings Bond Wizard use the downloaded file to update its database of redemption values.
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

Sheepdog wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:45 pm I am no longer using the Wizard and I didn't last May either. Since then I used the Savings Bond Calculator which is what I am referring to.. It worked perfectly 6 months ago.
The Savings Bond Calculator worked correctly for me when I tried it a few minutes ago on a saved inventory. It reported the redemption values for 05/2019, after changing the "Value as of:" and pressing the "UPDATE" button on the "Calculate the Value of Your Paper Savings Bond(s)" page.

The Savings Bond Calculator does not depend on a Savings Bond Value File stored on a user's computer.