Scratched Apple Watch

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NextMil

Scratched Apple Watch

Post by NextMil »

Less than a couple months old, and my series 3 is scratched. I am not putting toothpaste on it. Anything else I can do or am I stuck riding this out?
bloom2708

Re: Scratched Apple Watch

Post by bloom2708 »

Did you buy apple care?

There is no fix for screen issues. It is all glued together. No replacement screens.

A scratch is better than a crack. Oldest kid had hers 3 days. Cracked. Only 1/2 of the screen worked. No apple care. Worth $0. :shock: :annoyed
Topic Author
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

Ugh. That is crushing. I am sorry.

Yeah, I am guessing I have to ride this out. Might be time to get a screen cover so I dont make the face worse.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Topic Author
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

Haha.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Are there screen covers available for an Apple Watch like the iPhones?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Toons

Post by Toons »

If all else fails regarding scratch removal
Try to "look" through it or
Get another watch.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

abuss368 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:08 pm Are there screen covers available for an Apple Watch like the iPhones?
Yes, and I highly recommend getting one if you get an apple watch.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

NextMil wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm
abuss368 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:08 pm Are there screen covers available for an Apple Watch like the iPhones?
I have not purchased an Apple watch thus far. They are interesting.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

Its an activity tracker that has some great features pairing with an iPhone. Definitely a great weight loss tool, but its an activity tracker first and foremost.
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

Apparently it is repairable. Here's a link to a DIY website. I imagine you can find a vendor somewhere who will do it for a fee.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Apple+Watc ... ment/41082
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

flossy21 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:18 pm Apparently it is repairable. Here's a link to a DIY website. I imagine you can find a vendor somewhere who will do it for a fee.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Apple+Watc ... ment/41082
Looks complicated. You might have an issue if you have to use a microwave oven to try to fix your watch. :shock:

In my opinion, the Apple Watch is too fragile for general use (based on the relatively high cost). I have a Samsung Gear Fit 2. Wear it every day for more than a year. Only take off to charge. Not a mark on the plastic screen. I guess it is also a luck thing. Some wear for years. Others you just hit it right/wrong and it is toast.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Did you buy it with a credit card? Some issuers cover accidental damage during the first 60-90 days.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Apple Watch = luxury item. If you’re going to spend that much on it, spending a few $ more for a protective screen is worth it, imo.
Don’t own an Apple Watch. Own a functional watch, it tells time.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

NextMil wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm
I would not. The way the screen curves at the edge, a screen protector would stand out and would look terrible. And based on my experience and my son's, the Watches are pretty hard to scratch. My Series 2 aluminum (purchased September 2016) looks like new, and my teenage son's (formerly mine) Series 0 (original model) has one tiny nick in the aluminum on the side of the case. Both screens, when cleaned, look like new. I've been running trails, cycling, lifting weights, and doing routine yard work in mine for almost two years. (I do have a desk job, so my Watch faces no additional hazards at work.)
bloom2708 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:42 pm In my opinion, the Apple Watch is too fragile for general use (based on the relatively high cost). I have a Samsung Gear Fit 2. Wear it every day for more than a year. Only take off to charge. Not a mark on the plastic screen. I guess it is also a luck thing. Some wear for years. Others you just hit it right/wrong and it is toast.
I think it really is just a matter of luck, because they are not fragile at all. The screens are certainly more durable than any plastic, and there are not widespread complaints about easily-scratched Apple Watch screens--which you know there would be if they were fragile.
Topic Author
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

LifeIsGood wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:09 am Did you buy it with a credit card? Some issuers cover accidental damage during the first 60-90 days.
Unfortunately, I did not.