RIP investor

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
statsguy

RIP investor

Post by statsguy »

I regret being the bearer of sad news. Neal Hudson, a long time but occasional poster, who posted here as investor (and long ago as insane Nero) has died. He usually posted about his favorite funds Wellesley and Wellington. His posts were almost always humorous. Neal was 76 years old, worked in the aerospace field, retired in his mid-50's about 22 years ago, and had been fighting bladder cancer for over 7 years. I believe he was a military veteran.

On a personal note, he tracked me down online 2010 and gave me a phone call asking if we could talk about investing. We have kept in touch since. I will miss him.

Statsguy
welderwannabe

Re: RIP investor

Post by welderwannabe »

Thanks for sharing, and sorry to hear about that.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

There are many unsung heroes on this forum and doubtlessly Neal Hudson was one of them. The lurkers who visit the site and who rarely or never post are a big part of the success of this forum. What good does it do to produce good material if no one will read it? The people who post, though not as frequently as the better known posters also deserve a lot of credit for our success. Again, the unsung heroes.
A fool and his money are good for business.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I am sorry to hear it, but thanks for letting us know.

JT
madsinger

Post by madsinger »

We had private messaged a few times, but I never knew his name. He was always kind to me, and to everyone else here. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

-Brad.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

It's good that certain members keep track of others IRL.
We should have a rule about that...
Attempted new signature...
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

The Wizard wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:28 am It's good that certain members keep track of others IRL.
+10. That's the first thing I thought. An IRL buddy system would be great.

RIP investor.
Accrual

Post by Accrual »

The Wizard wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:28 am It's good that certain members keep track of others IRL.
Great idea.

Thanks for posting. The news makes the anonymous-nature of forums that much more real. I nice reminder there is always another person on the other end of a post, not just an idea.

Post by 2015 »

nedsaid wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:18 am There are many unsung heroes on this forum and doubtlessly Neal Hudson was one of them. The lurkers who visit the site and who rarely or never post are a big part of the success of this forum. What good does it do to produce good material if no one will read it? The people who post, though not as frequently as the better known posters also deserve a lot of credit for our success. Again, the unsung heroes.
+1
This forum is an example of crowdsourcing at its best, particularly due to the endless work of some true unsung heroes, our moderators.

Edit: I am sorry to hear about Neal Hudson. I seem to be surrounded by death or those nearing death this year, which has served to sharpen my appreciation of even the smallest moments. It's good to stay focused on the reason why we invest.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

MrJones wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:12 pm
+10. That's the first thing I thought. An IRL buddy system would be great.

RIP investor.
Sorry to hear about Neal.

I've chosen Taylor as my IRL buddy. 8-)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
car733

Post by car733 »

Sorry to hear :(
Local chapters is a good place for IRL.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

Sorry to hear that. I recall him as a kind and humorous person who posted occationally a while back. Thanks for sharing.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Sorry to hear the news, condolences to his family and friends.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:49 pm
MrJones wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:12 pm +10. That's the first thing I thought. An IRL buddy system would be great.

Why, Mel, you show off ;-).
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

For historical documentary purposes, Mr. Hudson joined the Bogleheads.org forum at its initiation on February 19, 2007 and made 1010 postings on the forum, which can be accessed at his profile (log-in required) : Viewing profile-investor. Here is a search for Mr. Hudson's posts: Search.

Mr. Hudson made his final forum post on April 29, 2018 on the topic of Buying primecap now - a mistake?.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

MrJones wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:47 am
MrJones wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:12 pm +10. That's the first thing I thought. An IRL buddy system would be great.

Well it's not pleasant, but someone has to wipe the drool off his chin from time to time! 😊
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm very sorry to hear this.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

"Mel Lindauer"
Mel:

I need a younger and more virile "IRL buddy?" :happy

With love
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:28 pm "Mel Lindauer"
Mel:

I need a younger and more virile "IRL buddy?" :happy

With love
Taylor
Taffy must have told you what to say because you don't even know what "virile" means. 🤗
boglebob321

Post by boglebob321 »

I'm one of those lurkers. A nice tribute to a person we know but don't really know. A summary of his post and a few laughs from some well respected members. Investor would have like this...
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:11 pm
MrJones wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:47 am

Well it's not pleasant, but someone has to wipe the drool off his chin from time to time! 😊
All kidding aside, Taylor is doing pretty good. His mind is clear and he just finished a new book on the Three Fund Portfolio. I am sure that at age 93, Taylor realizes the toll of old age but not too many even make it to 93 much less authoring a book and having a happy second marriage. Taylor is also known as a good sailor, don't know if he still sails but was doing so not too long ago.

Not bad, Taylor. Keep going, you are an inspiration to those of us who are much younger.
A fool and his money are good for business.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

statsguy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:52 am I regret being the bearer of sad news. Neal Hudson, a long time but occasional poster, who posted here as investor (and long ago as insane Nero) has died. He usually posted about his favorite funds Wellesley and Wellington. His posts were almost always humorous. Neal was 76 years old, worked in the aerospace field, retired in his mid-50's about 22 years ago, and had been fighting bladder cancer for over 7 years. I believe he was a military veteran.

On a personal note, he tracked me down online 2010 and gave me a phone call asking if we could talk about investing. We have kept in touch since. I will miss him.

Statsguy
Sorry to hear about the loss.

God bless.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I was unsure what IRL stood for and thus searched online. The result was "in real life".
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."