Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
SimplicityNow

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by SimplicityNow »

Congratulations to the Class of 2018 from a recent graduate of the Class of 2017 (October).

I know the decision can be a difficult one but rest assured many of the doubts will fade once you take the plunge.

Best of luck to all.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MulesFan wrote: Tick Tock, baby! I have 8 working days left. Just said goodbye to a bunch of statewide colleagues. Those folks are the source of great joy & support and have been for 35 years. Replacement starts Monday so we will have a week+ to either enjoy or irritate each other. :shock: Hoping for the 1st option but have enough PTO that if the 2nd arises I can make myself scarce.
Oh I love it, same for me, 34 years same office with the best colleagues I could ever hope for. :D But it looks like you "go with the flow" - you work and make it the best time and you retire and make it the best time - no weepy emotional regrets (like me :mrgreen: )

Looks like tomorrow is THE DAY :beer So, what's on your Active Retired Force agenda??
MulesFan

Post by MulesFan »

Yes. Tomorrow at 7 pm is my last Board meeting. Walking in as Director, walking out as former Director. Thursday morning I hop on train to St Louis to visit friends for a couple of days. Big trip is this fall - Jordan & Egypt.

PS. Replacement has been a treat. She has drained my brain. She’s smart, practical & experienced. I’m leaving the place in good hands.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:11 pm Here is the latest roster for the Retirement Class of 2018!
__ ___ MnD
__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ bayview
__ ___ Sparky1500
Put me down for Friday, November 30.
Far end of my range, but it seems manageable now at 5.X months and I'll get to go to our annual trade association meeting in mid-November where i am an officer and is always a blast. My recommended replacement was just approved so that's also one less thing to worry about. This is going smoother than expected so far - knock on wood! :beer
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MnD wrote: Put me down for Friday, November 30.
Far end of my range, but it seems manageable now at 5.X months and I'll get to go to our annual trade association meeting in mid-November where i am an officer and is always a blast. My recommended replacement was just approved so that's also one less thing to worry about. This is going smoother than expected so far - knock on wood! :beer
Ok, we'll put you down for Nov. 30, and if you Punch Out earlier, let us know.

Glad to hear everything is going smooooooth for phasing out of your work and phasing into your retirement 8-) Your last annual trade association meeting in mid-November should be a Real Blast - why just think of the possibilities!! you could just keep the Real Blast going for two more weeks at work until Punch Out Day!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MulesFan wrote: Tomorrow at 7 pm is my last Board meeting. Walking in as Director, walking out as former Director. Thursday morning I hop on train to St Louis to visit friends for a couple of days. Big trip is this fall - Jordan & Egypt.

PS. Replacement has been a treat. She has drained my brain. She’s smart, practical & experienced. I’m leaving the place in good hands.
Congratulations MulesFan! Walking in as Director - and what a great Director you've been all these years :D - and walking out as Former Director - and may we add, as our newest member of this Awesome Active Retired Class 8-) You can retire in peace, knowing you did a great job working and a great job keeping that company prospering with your new replacement. Sounds like your replacement will have big expectations to fill and that you will be missed by your co-workers. Enjoy your new freedom :happy
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

I'm a new poster but a long time lurker. I originally tentatively planned to pull the plug in April/May 2018 but I have some fun work trips planned in the back half of this year, plus bonus, plus additional vesting, etc... So OMY has my firm date around early Feb 2019. I've got to hang around for the bonus. Very strange as I try to mentally prepare myself for taking the plunge. I actually really like my job but after many years in the same field I'm pretty burned out. I'm 56 and I'm just tired of spending my days in an office. Plus, I've run the numbers a zillion times and I think I'm good. Still it is very rattling to think about no more paychecks. Thus I'm accumulating cash to buffer any sequence of return surprises which is also unsettling as I've been 95% equities my entire investing career. I guess I'll jump on the class of 2019 thread when it opens up.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Spindrift wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:42 pm . . . I guess I'll jump on the class of 2019 thread when it opens up . . .
Welcome aboard, your first post! The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019 is alive and well, please go there and add your name to the listing (link attached)

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019.

Good luck with your retirement, and as a member of the Active Retired Force please stay mentally and physically active. Gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
TheQuietMan

Post by TheQuietMan »

Retired yesterday, 6/25 from Mega Telecommunications company after 31 years. Looking forward to the next chapter...
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

TheQuietMan wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:34 pm Retired yesterday, 6/25 from Mega Telecommunications company after 31 years. Looking forward to the next chapter...
Congratulations 🎉
TheQuietMan

Post by TheQuietMan »

Thanks West U...
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TheQuietMan wrote: Retired yesterday, 6/25 from Mega Telecommunications company after 31 years. Looking forward to the next chapter...
Congratulations! We'll include you on this important Class List.

So this week has been your first week in 31 years you didn't have to worry about Telecommunications :beer unless of course all your co-workers have been calling you to find out what to do with this, or how to do that, or what did you say about this switch, or remind me again, how do we log in and get the system up and running, etc etc . . . 8-)

What are your plans for the next chapter of your life?
TheQuietMan

Post by TheQuietMan »

Hi Miriam,

For a start, I’m enjoying not being on call 24/7 365 days a year! I have a few irons in the fire, and will see what interests me. I’d like to volunteer, and maybe do some consulting. And some traveling is on the list. It’s kind of fun to think about doing something different after all these years. Thankfully I have some flexibility to explore.
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Completely out of the blue, my BIL got a package from his MegaCorp, and he’s 5 years younger. So jealous, but I intend to stay the course and hope that I can hold up until December...
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

I have officially joined the class of 2018 as of June 30th, at age 60! So far it feels great :D . I will be getting a 73K non-cola pension and now have $2.4M in cash/bonds/equities. Only debt is mortgage, but with a $62K balance at 2.875% and current monthly payment of $620, it is very manageable and can be payed off whenever we feel like it. Biggest financial decisions left are when DW and I should take SS, and 401K withdrawals to convert to Roth to avoid massive RMDs at age 70.5. But those are good "problems" to have.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

I'm adding my husband to the roll--Mr Pennywise is retiring December 31st. He turns 65 in September, has 40 years of tenure at his job and is blessed to have a set of non-work activities that will happily engage and challenge him as soon as he steps out of the office for the last time.

Unfortunately being a child bride of only 61 when he leaves, I'm not quite ready to retire, but boy is it gonna be 'interesting' to see him footloose and fancy free while I have to put on the plow and head back to the field every Monday :annoyed . While I still enjoy parts of my actual job, I'm increasingly weary of office politics, a boss I don't connect with very well and the ever increasing annoying feeling that I have to be somewhere most of my waking hours doing what someone else tells me to do instead of doing what I want to do when I want to do it LOL.

I hope to be in the retirement class of 2019 but for now what a joyous upcoming change for my guy.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

pennywise wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:47 amI hope to be in the retirement class of 2019 but for now what a joyous upcoming change for my guy.
We'll be waiting for you over on the "Class of 2019" thread. I also turn 62 in 2019 and I plan to retire in April.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

nguy44 wrote: I have officially joined the class of 2018 as of June 30th, at age 60! So far it feels great :D . I will be getting a 73K non-cola pension and now have $2.4M in cash/bonds/equities. Only debt is mortgage, but with a $62K balance at 2.875% and current monthly payment of $620, it is very manageable and can be payed off whenever we feel like it. Biggest financial decisions left are when DW and I should take SS, and 401K withdrawals to convert to Roth to avoid massive RMDs at age 70.5. But those are good "problems" to have.
Welcome to this Awesome Class!! Glad you finally punched out :D

Now you have TIME to figure out your remaining financial decisions - and you know where to post your Q's 8-) Best wishes for a long, happy and healthy retirement.
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Issues at MegaCorp, with my health and my general attitude, have me considering moving up my date from December 28 to November 30. Have not solidified that decision. Stay tuned... :confused
Cash is King

Post by Cash is King »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:11 pm Here is the latest roster for the Retirement Class of 2018!

We have 5 graduates so far, just the tip of the iceberg :beer

Already Graduated - CONGRATULATIONS and best wishes for a good Sequence of Returns!! :sharebeer
02 Jan - Billionaire
12 Jan - RubyTuesday (51)
31 Jan - Earl Lemongrab
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)
09 Feb - marcopolo (51)

Upcoming graduates - piling everything they can into those retirement accounts :D
03 Mar - Seqfish (62)
03 Mar - Dottie57
09 Mar - remomnyc
31 Mar - MichDad (62)
02 Apr - Larry2623
31 May - NCPE
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
__ Jul - Golfview
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)
01 Oct - retirementbound
21 Dec - blgaarder (69)
31 Dec - Derby (59)
31 Dec - trirod (51)
__ Dec - WestUniversity

__ ___ MnD
__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ bayview
__ ___ Sparky1500

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Let me know if I made any goofs :mrgreen:
Hi Miriam,
Please add me to the 2018 roster. Last day at a MegaCorp was February 28th! Age-57 but turned 58 recently.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cash is King wrote: Please add me to the 2018 roster. Last day at a MegaCorp was February 28th! Age-57 but turned 58 recently.
Congratulations Cash is King! We're going to add you to our Retirement Class of 2018 :happy

Retiring at age 57 must be awesome (if you have the cash :mrgreen:

Taylor posted this earlier this year, about retiring at age 57:
Taylor wrote:

I retired 36 years ago at the age of 57. Unquestionably one of the best decisions of my life.

What's not to like when I can wake up each morning at any time I want, to do whatever I want, including conversations with my Boglehead friends such as this.

It's a beautiful life . . .

Best wishes,
Taylor
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p3726034

Taylor Larimore, now 94 years young 8-)
Cash is King

Post by Cash is King »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:16 pm
Cash is King wrote: Please add me to the 2018 roster. Last day at a MegaCorp was February 28th! Age-57 but turned 58 recently.
Congratulations Cash is King! We're going to add you to our Retirement Class of 2018 :happy

Retiring at age 57 must be awesome (if you have the cash :mrgreen:

Taylor posted this earlier this year, about retiring at age 57:
Taylor wrote:

I retired 36 years ago at the age of 57. Unquestionably one of the best decisions of my life.

What's not to like when I can wake up each morning at any time I want, to do whatever I want, including conversations with my Boglehead friends such as this.

It's a beautiful life . . .

Best wishes,
Taylor
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p3726034

Taylor Larimore, now 94 years young 8-)
Thanks Miriam. Agree with Taylor's comment!

Best,
Cash is King
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

pennywise wrote: Mr Pennywise is retiring December 31st. He turns 65 in September, has 40 years of tenure at his job and is blessed to have a set of non-work activities that will happily engage and challenge him as soon as he steps out of the office for the last time.
Whooosh! Sounds like he's on the retirement roll \\\/// (happy dance!) :happy After 40 years at his job he must have mixed feelings about saying good-bye and moving into the next phase of his life.

"We might retire from the workforce, but we should never retire from the pursuit of a fulfilling life." (Jonathan Clements)
Unfortunately, being a child bride of only 61 when he leaves, I'm not quite ready to retire, but boy is it gonna be 'interesting' to see him footloose and fancy free while I have to put on the plow and head back to the field every Monday :annoyed .
Ok, this is how we solve that - give him The Honey-Now-That-You're-Retired-To-Do List ==> :P
-- make coffee every morning for child bride (are you sure that was legal?)
-- make & serve breakfast every morning for child bride before she hitches up plow for work
-- make dinner & serve to child bride, along with wine and roses :D
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Somewhat late-comer to enroll in Class Of 2018. Hopefully not too late to be included!

FI last year but needed to stay on and help complete the acquisition of company (Responsibility gene); and now deeply involved with the integration of the company with the acquirer. All is going very well, actually.

R date is September 28, 2018. Age 61, wife same age and already retired, so not that early compared with others.

In process of consolidating all accounts to Vanguard and simplifying.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Somewhat late-comer to enroll in Class Of 2018. Hopefully not too late to be included!

FI last year but needed to stay on and help complete the acquisition of company (Responsibility gene); and now deeply involved with the integration of the company with the acquirer. All is going very well, actually.

R date is September 28, 2018. Age 61, wife same age and already retired, so not that early compared with others.

Congratulations SevenBridgesRoad! Welcome to the Bogleheads and welcome to the class - never too late to be included in this Roll Call 8-)

Very nice, the "responsibility gene" and clearly the "competency gene" and everything is going well - now time to activate your "slow down & enjoy life gene."
Sometimes there's a part of me
Has to turn from here and go
Running like a child from these warm stars
Down the Seven Bridges Road

There are stars in the Southern sky
And if ever you decide
You should go
There is a taste of time sweetened honey

-- "Seven Bridges Road," lyrics by Stephen Young
What are your retirement plans?
1995Roadmaster

Post by 1995Roadmaster »

Friday, June 29th was my last day, 33 years with the company. I go back in to tidy up a couple of things but that’s all folks! It was a great career. It’s time for my schedule.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:34 pm
SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Somewhat late-comer to enroll in Class Of 2018. Hopefully not too late to be included!

Congratulations SevenBridgesRoad! Welcome to the Bogleheads and welcome to the class - never too late to be included in this Roll Call 8-)

Very nice, the "responsibility gene" and clearly the "competency gene" and everything is going well - now time to activate your "slow down & enjoy life gene."
Sometimes there's a part of me
Has to turn from here and go
Running like a child from these warm stars

There are stars in the Southern sky
And if ever you decide
You should go
There is a taste of time sweetened honey

-- "Seven Bridges Road," lyrics by Stephen Young
What are your retirement plans?
Great lyrics, right?! Very insightful. You clearly get it Miriam2.

As to my retirement plans: hanging out with my wife, kayaking on weekdays, playing with the grandkids, snowshoeing, advancing my garage brewing, early mornings to myself, reading, square dancing, watching the deer walk through the yard, cooking, bourbon with friends, the Oregon coast more often, boating in the San Juans, hanging out with my parents as they age, sharing techniques with other advanced (and no so) home brewers, writing, attending football games, tailgating again, driving on a nice day, taking courses, return to hobbies I haven't had time for, coaching, taking the train, learning, un-rushed coffee in the morning, roasting green coffee beans myself again, unstressed cooking during weeknights, checklists, bookstores, eating outside, working to make health care prices transparent, hiking, fixing things, making things, figuring out solutions to a problem, teaching TPS, Salt Spring Island, reviewing my financial plan, watching SpaceX landings, spending a month in Prague, volunteering to walk dogs, being reliable, attend live music, get really good at pickle ball, understanding systems, comfortable clothes. You get the idea.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

1995Roadmaster wrote: Friday, June 29th was my last day, 33 years with the company. I go back in to tidy up a couple of things but that’s all folks! It was a great career. It’s time for my schedule.
LOL - "that's all folks" - a great career, 33 years, and now it's time for YOUR schedule :D

Welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Class and keep us posted on your retirement adventures!
snathanb

Post by snathanb »

Hi all!

First posted... retired on June 29th, 2018! Looking forward to a long and rewarding retirement. :sharebeer
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

snathanb wrote: Hi all!
First posted... retired on June 29th, 2018! Looking forward to a long and rewarding retirement. :sharebeer
Snathanb - Congratulations and welcome to this Distinguished Retirement Class :D How did you make it to retirement without the Bogleheads :?:

We look forward with you to your long and rewarding retirement. So, what's on your list?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

WestUniversity wrote: Completely out of the blue, my BIL got a package from his MegaCorp, and he’s 5 years younger. So jealous, but I intend to stay the course and hope that I can hold up until December...
Don't think of your BIL - what's he gonna do all day, play golf with the guys? You can hold on until December, it's only 5 months away :D
WestUniversity wrote: Issues at MegaCorp, with my health and my general attitude, have me considering moving up my date from December 28 to November 30. Have not solidified that decision. Stay tuned... :confused
Ok WestUniversity, we'll pencil you in :happy

Will moving up your R-date one month affect your pension, your 401k, your social security or your pay? Will it make a difference in your financial life? For what reason would you would stay one more month? You've worked a long time - what do you really want to do with that month?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is the Mid-Summer's Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018 8-)

We have 29 very lucky graduates enjoying their first summer without a paycheck :shock: :beer

:!: Already Graduated - CONGRATULATIONS!!
01 Jan - BigOldBear
02 Jan - Billionaire
12 Jan - RubyTuesday (51)
31 Jan - Earl Lemongrab
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)
09 Feb - marcopolo (51)
28 Feb - Cash is King (57) <== Welcome to the Class!!
03 Mar - Seqfish (62)
03 Mar - Dottie57
03 Mar - Jazzysoon
29 Mar - rkhusky
31 Mar - MichDad (62)
02 Apr - Larry2623
13 Apr - telemark
18 May - remomnyc
25 May - Barefoot
31 May - NCPE
01 Jun - Greywolf
01 Jun - noobogle (late 30s)
15 Jun - MulesFan <== Welcome to the Class!!
25 Jun - TheQuietMan <== Welcome to the Class!!
29 Jun - Roadmaster <== Welcome to the Class!!
29 Jun - snathanb <== Welcome to the Class!!
30 Jun - incowtown (55)
30 Jun - nguy44 (60) <== Welcome to the Class!!
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
__ Jun - KenG
13 Jul - amp (47)
__ Jul - Golfview

:D Upcoming graduates - looking forward to the adventure ahead!!
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)
21 Sep - FireHorse (52)
28 Sep - Stinky (65) <== Welcome to the Class!!
28 Sep - SevenBridgesRoad (61) <== Welcome to the Class!!
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)
__ Sep - kjsammy
01 Oct - retirementbound
01 Nov - Ikigai (56)
30 Nov - MnD <== Welcome to the Class!!
21 Dec - blgaarder (69)
22 Dec - bayview (64)
28 Dec - WestUniversity
28 Dec - NoMad18 (56)
31 Dec - Derby (59)
31 Dec - trirod (51)
31 Dec - galawdawg
31 Dec - 45591 (57)
__ Dec - Metalworking <== Yes you're in this Great Class!!

__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ bayview
__ ___ Sparky1500
__ ___ Big Dog
__ ___ J295 (58)

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Keep us posted if you plan to PUNCH OUT in 2018!!

Let me know if I left you out :(
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalworking

Post by metalworking »

Bummer. Looks like i have been expelled from the class. Does this mean i can't retire? :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

metalworking wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:39 pm Bummer. Looks like i have been expelled from the class. Does this mean i can't retire? :D
Maybe you didn't turn in your last term paper :P
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:59 pm
WestUniversity wrote: Completely out of the blue, my BIL got a package from his MegaCorp, and he’s 5 years younger. So jealous, but I intend to stay the course and hope that I can hold up until December...
Don't think of your BIL - what's he gonna do all day, play golf with the guys? You can hold on until December, it's only 5 months away :D

Will moving up your R-date one month affect your pension, your 401k, your social security or your pay? Will it make a difference in your financial life? For what reason would you would stay one more month? You've worked a long time - what do you really want to do with that month?
Changing my date has minimal effect on anything, except for of course my attitude. Upon reflection, and because, issues surrounding the scheduling of our family Christmas plans, at this point I believe I’m going to split the difference and leave December 14th.

Since I have yet to announce anything at MegaCorp nothing is affected there. I will not make that announcement until October. I plan to give them plenty of notice as there is a lot of work I need to transition to other staff. I’ve already begun documenting processes to ease the transition...
metalworking

Post by metalworking »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:44 pm
metalworking wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:39 pm Bummer. Looks like i have been expelled from the class. Does this mean i can't retire? :D
Maybe you didn't turn in your last term paper :P
Thanks for allowing me back in the class. I thought my spouse may have called and said she couldn't stand the idea of me being home full time. :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

metalworking wrote: Thanks for allowing me back in the class. I thought my spouse may have called and said she couldn't stand the idea of me being home full time. :happy
She DID call - and I sent her a copy of the "Honey-Now-That-You're-Retired-To-Do-List" :wink:
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I wish!

My target is 2027.

Congrats to everyone who has made it to retirement.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

StevieG72 wrote: I wish!
My target is 2027.
Congrats to everyone who has made it to retirement.
Well Stevie, 2027 is only 9 years away! You're penciled in as our first for the 2027 Roll Call, assuming I don't lose all my marbles by then :mrgreen: actually, just in case, please remind me in 2026 :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: As to my retirement plans: hanging out with my wife, kayaking on weekdays, playing with the grandkids, snowshoeing, advancing my garage brewing, early mornings to myself, reading, square dancing, watching the deer walk through the yard, cooking, bourbon with friends, the Oregon coast more often, boating in the San Juans, hanging out with my parents as they age, sharing techniques with other advanced (and no so) home brewers, writing, attending football games, tailgating again, driving on a nice day, taking courses, return to hobbies I haven't had time for, coaching, taking the train, learning, un-rushed coffee in the morning, roasting green coffee beans myself again, unstressed cooking during weeknights, checklists, bookstores, eating outside, working to make health care prices transparent, hiking, fixing things, making things, figuring out solutions to a problem, teaching TPS, Salt Spring Island, reviewing my financial plan, watching SpaceX landings, spending a month in Prague, volunteering to walk dogs, being reliable, attend live music, get really good at pickle ball, understanding systems, comfortable clothes. You get the idea.
Gadzooks SevenBridges! when will you have time to retire??
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I've been toying with 2018 vs first qtr 2019.

I think 2018 is winning...

Anyone read Your Money or Your Life? The question that it asks - are you making a living or are you making a dying. It's been on my mind lately.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

InMyDreams wrote: I've been toying with 2018 vs first qtr 2019.
I think 2018 is winning...
Anyone read Your Money or Your Life? The question that it asks - are you making a living or are you making a dying. It's been on my mind lately.
Hi InMyDreams - decisions about life changes are difficult, many of us have been there.
Practically, is work making a living until 2019 sensible and fulfilling? Financially, is retirement do-able now?

"Live life to the fullest.
Everyone has two lives.
The second begins when you realize you only have one."

---Steven Sotloff, 2014
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:24 pm Practically, is work making a living until 2019 sensible and fulfilling? Financially, is retirement do-able now?
I thought I had enough two years ago, but the advice-only CFP I consulted thought I was being a bit hasty. I think it's doable, without being too much MMM ;)
Sparky1500

Post by Sparky1500 »

Officially retired 8/3/2018! Many thanks Bogleheads!
Retired August 3, 2018 and very grateful.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Ready to retire !

Working three days a week until December 31, 2018, then I'm done !
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

September 30, 2018
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sparky1500 wrote: Officially retired 8/3/2018! Many thanks Bogleheads!
Congratulations Sparky1500!! \\\/// (happy dance!) So what's on your loooooong retirement To-Do list?

Btw - how's it going with your Sweet Potato Casserole baking? :D You'll have more time to bake more now that you're retired! Why, you could start up a restaurant or a Thanksgiving Dinner service :idea:
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Rudedog wrote: Ready to retire !

Working three days a week until December 31, 2018, then I'm done !
Congratulations Rudedog, you're on this Fabulous Roll Call :beer
So you're on the Easing-into-Retirement Plan - hope it works out well for you. What's on your retirement agenda?
Sparky1500

Post by Sparky1500 »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 pm
Sparky1500 wrote: Officially retired 8/3/2018! Many thanks Bogleheads!
Congratulations Sparky1500!! \\\/// (happy dance!) So what's on your loooooong retirement To-Do list?

Btw - how's it going with your Sweet Potato Casserole baking? :D You'll have more time to bake more now that you're retired! Why, you could start up a restaurant or a Thanksgiving Dinner service :idea:
Thank you, Miriam! First thing on the list of 'retirement' things to do is 'just breathe.' It has been a long, hard, stressful, exhausting journey this year. And now it's done. Taking some deep breaths before deciding what's next. Thanksgiving this year will definitely include some Sweet Potato Casserole - a recipe shared from a thoughtful Boglehead on this forum. Delicious!
Retired August 3, 2018 and very grateful.
WPauley

Post by WPauley »

After over 30 years with same employer, pulling the plug Nov 30th 2018. Please add me to this years graduating class. 55 years young. The countdown in on. Turning in letter end of Aug. Woooooo Hoooooo!!