suit shoe combo?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

suit shoe combo?

Post by Mjar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 pm

I have an engagement party to go to for my cousin that will require suit and tie look. I always where black suit with black dress shoe and a different colored tie. I am thinking about going to a black suit with a red colored tie and my red Nike sneakers...what do you all think? I will be dancing in them without the suit jacket on, so most of the night will be white shirt, red tie, black pants and red NIke shoes.

https://www.champssports.com/product/mo ... lsrc=aw.ds

livesoft
Posts: 62776
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by livesoft » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:06 pm

I hope you didn't pay $100 for a $20 pair of shoes.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Mjar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:07 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:06 pm
I hope you didn't pay $100 for a $20 pair of shoes.
lol, no I bought those on a gift card a year ago I was won at a work raffle, so I already own the shoes. I would never buy something like this for one event.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 6015
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Pajamas » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:08 pm

Mjar wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 pm
I always where black suit with black dress shoe and a different colored tie.
Why the sudden urge to be creative?

Aren't shoes with leather soles much more suitable for dancing than ones with soft soles?

livesoft
Posts: 62776
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by livesoft » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 pm

No one will care what shoes you wear. But maybe when/if the wedding takes place if the groom and groomsmen are wearing red sneakers, then you will know you had an influence.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Mjar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:08 pm
Mjar wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 pm
I always where black suit with black dress shoe and a different colored tie.
Why the sudden urge to be creative?

Aren't shoes with leather soles much more suitable for dancing than ones with soft soles?
these shoes have really good traction. I love wearing these red shoes, I have seen the sneaker look with suits and I thought what the hell why not since i have the shoes already

Doctor Rhythm
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Doctor Rhythm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Probably doesn't matter...but,

I'm not sure what an engagement party is, or what etiquette considerations there may be. If it's anything like a wedding reception, I would stick with boring, traditional black leather shoes. Why? This event is about the couple, not about you or your sartorial creativity. As a general rule, you shouldn't dress better (or be more eye-catching) than the bride & groom.

Oh, and traction isn't the major consideration for dancing shoes, unless you're in the mosh pit. If there will be a mosh pit, then you should wear the red sneakers, and you should invite me.
Last edited by Doctor Rhythm on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Halicar
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 am
Location: Midwest

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Halicar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Black suits are for funerals and Quentin Tarantino movies. Wear a charcoal or navy suit.
Doctor Rhythm wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm
I would stick with boring, traditional black leather shoes. Why? This event is about the couple, not about you or your sartorial creativity
+1

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 6015
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Pajamas » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Mjar wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:21 pm
these shoes have really good traction. I love wearing these red shoes, I have seen the sneaker look with suits and I thought what the hell why not since i have the shoes already
Okay, maybe you have a different style of dancing than what I'm used to and the soft soles are appropriate. Traction is the opposite of what I would normally look for in shoes for dancing at a party or nightclub on a hard surface.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 5856
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by bottlecap » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:36 pm

I think unless you are sure that you are the rare individual that could pull that look off, it will just look goofy. This is okay if a) you're 19 or b) everyone knows you intend to be goofy.

What I think doesn't matter, however. What would the couple think? That's what's important. If they wouldn't care, go for it. If you think they might care, ask them.

You could also change into more comfortable shoes (red or not) as the evening wears on and the dancing starts.

Good luck,

JT

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Mjar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:45 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:36 pm
I think unless you are sure that you are the rare individual that could pull that look off, it will just look goofy. This is okay if a) you're 19 or b) everyone knows you intend to be goofy.

What I think doesn't matter, however. What would the couple think? That's what's important. If they wouldn't care, go for it. If you think they might care, ask them.

You could also change into more comfortable shoes (red or not) as the evening wears on and the dancing starts.

Good luck,

JT
Couple won't care, and I won't care if they did care. They won't care becuase this engagement party is going to be just like a reception so there will be alot of indian women wearing all different colors (google Indian Saris), no one is going to notice the shoes until they are talking to me. I don't care what the couple thinks is because its dry engagement part, wtf??? I gotta have fun somehow. Its going to be BYOB with a flask and a 12 pack in the trunk. I have been known to be the goofy one in the family.

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Mjar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:49 pm

Doctor Rhythm wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm
Probably doesn't matter...but,

I'm not sure what an engagement party is, or what etiquette considerations there may be. If it's anything like a wedding reception, I would stick with boring, traditional black leather shoes. Why? This event is about the couple, not about you or your sartorial creativity. As a general rule, you shouldn't dress better (or be more eye-catching) than the bride & groom.

Oh, and traction isn't the major consideration for dancing shoes, unless you're in the mosh pit. If there will be a mosh pit, then you should wear the red sneakers, and you should invite me.
It will be more like an reception. Indian women abound wearing all different color Saris so upstaging the couple with red shoes is not possible since what they will be wearing will be traditional clothing that is high end usually. I have danced a few hours in dress shoes and its no fun near the end of the night. There will about 200+ people there and its a dry event, BYOB for me. Next mosh pit I am in you are with me!

scottgekko
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:02 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by scottgekko » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....

LawyersGunsAndMoney
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Dear God, no.

User avatar
simplesimon
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by simplesimon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Mjar wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:45 pm
Couple won't care, and I won't care if they did care. They won't care becuase this engagement party is going to be just like a reception so there will be alot of indian women wearing all different colors (google Indian Saris), no one is going to notice the shoes until they are talking to me. I don't care what the couple thinks is because its dry engagement part, wtf??? I gotta have fun somehow. Its going to be BYOB with a flask and a 12 pack in the trunk. I have been known to be the goofy one in the family.
Then why do you care what this forum thinks?

I agree with a previous poster that the look is appropriate for a very young person who can't afford anything better or doesn't have a sense of style.

gips
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by gips » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:26 pm

a little off-topic, but a black suit is more appropriate for a funeral than a wedding (or work). Go for navy or grey. As for shoes, how about a pair of blue suede shoes?

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 7966
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:33 pm

If you don't mind those who might not know you later talking and identifying you as "the clown with the red sneakers", then go for it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Dottie57
Posts: 4649
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Doctor Rhythm wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm
Probably doesn't matter...but,

I'm not sure what an engagement party is, or what etiquette considerations there may be. If it's anything like a wedding reception, I would stick with boring, traditional black leather shoes. Why? This event is about the couple, not about you or your sartorial creativity. As a general rule, you shouldn't dress better (or be more eye-catching) than the bride & groom.

Oh, and traction isn't the major consideration for dancing shoes, unless you're in the mosh pit. If there will be a mosh pit, then you should wear the red sneakers, and you should invite me.
Leather shoes you usually wear.

rjbraun
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by rjbraun » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:52 pm

I think the skepticism that others seem to have expressed has merit. Also, in the event that there will be engagement party photographs, either "official" or informal ones, you and your outfit would have some permanence, so you presumably will want to dress in a fashion that you will be okay with in the years ahead.

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Mjar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:23 pm

simplesimon wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:19 pm
Mjar wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:45 pm
Couple won't care, and I won't care if they did care. They won't care becuase this engagement party is going to be just like a reception so there will be alot of indian women wearing all different colors (google Indian Saris), no one is going to notice the shoes until they are talking to me. I don't care what the couple thinks is because its dry engagement part, wtf??? I gotta have fun somehow. Its going to be BYOB with a flask and a 12 pack in the trunk. I have been known to be the goofy one in the family.
Then why do you care what this forum thinks?

I agree with a previous poster that the look is appropriate for a very young person who can't afford anything better or doesn't have a sense of style.
more or less to stand out. I agree with the other poster as well which I wanted to see what sort of consensus was here. Thanks for your thoughts!

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Mjar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:33 pm
If you don't mind those who might not know you later talking and identifying you as "the clown with the red sneakers", then go for it.
Jack that hurts....lol :D :D

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Mjar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Ok it settles it, no red shoes. Thanks everyone for their insights.

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Mjar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 pm

scottgekko wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....
yeah that is what I was thinking initially which is where I got the idea but I didn't want to put money into this if I didn't have to, so my alternatives is this. I guess it will be back to old black leather shoes.

abner kravitz
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 am
Location: Beaufort County, SC

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by abner kravitz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:33 pm
If you don't mind those who might not know you later talking and identifying you as "the clown with the red sneakers", then go for it.
+1

themesrob
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by themesrob » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:46 pm

even if people are more charitable than the "clown with the red sneakers," it will probably be "that guy who must have just had foot surgery and can't wear proper shoes for the occasion." (At least that's what I'd assume.)

User avatar
JupiterJones
Posts: 2695
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm

scottgekko wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....
Yup. If it's good enough for the 10th Doctor, it's good enough for me!

Image
Stay on target...

SQRT
Posts: 909
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:44 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by SQRT » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:58 pm

You are kidding right. I always go with the rules 1) shoes match the belt and 2) socks match the pants.

nymeria.stark
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:27 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by nymeria.stark » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:14 pm

scottgekko wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....
+1

I'm a fan of the sneaker and suit look, but it's hard to pull off with shoes like that (as nice as they are!). Converse or Adidas would be great, if you already own them. Check out these looks: https://www.dmarge.com/2018/04/sneakers-suit.html#gsi3

And note...not many of them are wearing ties, and the pants are slim-fit and a touch short.
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Mjar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:12 pm

nymeria.stark wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:14 pm
scottgekko wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....
+1

I'm a fan of the sneaker and suit look, but it's hard to pull off with shoes like that (as nice as they are!). Converse or Adidas would be great, if you already own them. Check out these looks: https://www.dmarge.com/2018/04/sneakers-suit.html#gsi3

And note...not many of them are wearing ties, and the pants are slim-fit and a touch short.
that is kind of the looks I was thinking about when I thought of pairing a sneakers for but no Cons or Adidas, this might now just be an excuse to justify buying them as I've wanted Chucks for while now just haven't taken the effort to do so.

Miriam2
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:13 am

Mjar wrote: I have an engagement party to go to for my cousin that will require suit and tie look. I always where black suit with black dress shoe and a different colored tie. I am thinking about going to a black suit with a red colored tie and my red Nike sneakers...what do you all think? I will be dancing in them without the suit jacket on, so most of the night will be white shirt, red tie, black pants and red NIke shoes.
https://www.champssports.com/product/mo ... lsrc=aw.ds
We recently went to a wedding in a gorgeous South Florida backyard and the groom and all the men (except my husband :wink: ) wore tight suits or blazers & jeans and sneakers or suede loafers - all without socks. So maybe it's the up & coming trend for young hipsters like OP 8-)

cheesepep
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by cheesepep » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 am

Ok, on a related note, for a business casual look, do the shoes need to match the belt? Brown belt and brown shoes or does it matter?

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 5856
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by bottlecap » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 am

nymeria.stark wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:14 pm
I'm a fan of the sneaker and suit look, but it's hard to pull off with shoes like that (as nice as they are!). Converse or Adidas would be great, if you already own them. Check out these looks: https://www.dmarge.com/2018/04/sneakers-suit.html#gsi3

And note...not many of them are wearing ties, and the pants are slim-fit and a touch short.
I changed my mind. No one can pull off the suit and sneaker look. Not a fashion model; not even a Time Lord.

But if you don’t care what anyone else thinks (except everyone on this forum), go for it.

JT

Miriam2
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 am

bottlecap wrote: I changed my mind. No one can pull off the suit and sneaker look. Not a fashion model; not even a Time Lord.
Our TimeLord wears suits and sneakers :?: :shock: He probably won't when he retires :D

Doctor Rhythm
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Doctor Rhythm » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:38 am

cheesepep wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 am
Ok, on a related note, for a business casual look, do the shoes need to match the belt? Brown belt and brown shoes or does it matter?
Probably depends on your profession and kind of office environment. In STEM fields, you're usually fine as long as you remember to zip up your fly and not tuck your shirt into your underwear. In any case, the reversible belt is your friend.

nymeria.stark
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:27 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by nymeria.stark » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:57 am

bottlecap wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 am
nymeria.stark wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:14 pm
I'm a fan of the sneaker and suit look, but it's hard to pull off with shoes like that (as nice as they are!). Converse or Adidas would be great, if you already own them. Check out these looks: https://www.dmarge.com/2018/04/sneakers-suit.html#gsi3

And note...not many of them are wearing ties, and the pants are slim-fit and a touch short.
I changed my mind. No one can pull off the suit and sneaker look. Not a fashion model; not even a Time Lord.

But if you don’t care what anyone else thinks (except everyone on this forum), go for it.

JT
It's uh. Certainly tricky. It probably became A Thing for the same reason very slim sneaker-flats became a thing for women; professionals in NYC/other urban areas wearing comfortable shoes to walk to/from the train and changing into more professional shoes when they arrive in the office. Converse, I blame on those of us who are former emo kids. :wink:
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.

nymeria.stark
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:27 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by nymeria.stark » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:00 am

Doctor Rhythm wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:38 am
cheesepep wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 am
Ok, on a related note, for a business casual look, do the shoes need to match the belt? Brown belt and brown shoes or does it matter?
Probably depends on your profession and kind of office environment. In STEM fields, you're usually fine as long as you remember to zip up your fly and not tuck your shirt into your underwear. In any case, the reversible belt is your friend.
I work for an engineering firm. Can confirm. Unless you're in business development, so long as whatever you're wearing is clean, you're good.

For business development, those guys tend to match the belt to the shoes. Unless they work out of our Montana office--it's hard to match a belt to hiking boots.
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.

JBTX
Posts: 4105
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by JBTX » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:18 am

gips wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:26 pm
a little off-topic, but a black suit is more appropriate for a funeral than a wedding (or work). Go for navy or grey. As for shoes, how about a pair of blue suede shoes?
A charcoal Grey, which looks black, is pretty universal for just about anything.

stoptothink
Posts: 4460
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 am

scottgekko wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....
This. I've worn Chuck's or Vans with a suit about a thousand times, including my wedding (and as a groomsman in several weddings) and countless formal events. It has kind of become my trademark in my current career as I was the first person my boss let represent our company without wearing very formal shoes. It's something that can easily be pulled off and I don't normally care or comment on what others wear, but wearing Nike free's with a suit it too ridiculous to not comment on. "Sneakers" with a suit, yes; Nike frees :shock:

hilink73
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by hilink73 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:32 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 am
scottgekko wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....
This. I've worn Chuck's or Vans with a suit about a thousand times, including my wedding (and as a groomsman in several weddings) and countless formal events. It has kind of become my trademark in my current career as I was the first person my boss let represent our company without wearing very formal shoes. It's something that can easily be pulled off and I don't normally care or comment on what others wear, but wearing Nike free's with a suit it too ridiculous to not comment on. "Sneakers" with a suit, yes; Nike frees :shock:
Could you elaborate, please?
What exactly is this about? What are "frees"? (Maybe language barrier?)

Besides, wearing a suit with no proper dress shoes is ridiculous. So "hip" that it's mainstream already. And absolutely style-less.
Fashion yes, but no style. Not at all.

mancich
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by mancich » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:01 pm

I am admittedly boring and a conservative dresser, but I wouldn't wear any color sneakers with a suit for any event, personal or business. But to each their own :beer

ddurrett896
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Mjar wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 pm
I am thinking about going to a black suit with a red colored tie and my red Nike sneakers...what do you all think?
Please don't. That's almost as bad as wearing a ball cap with a suit. If you want something less dressy, pick up some drivers. Below is an example:

http://www.colehaan.com/mens-zerogrand- ... rs&start=1

jayjayc
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by jayjayc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:15 pm

hilink73 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:32 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 am
scottgekko wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....
This. I've worn Chuck's or Vans with a suit about a thousand times, including my wedding (and as a groomsman in several weddings) and countless formal events. It has kind of become my trademark in my current career as I was the first person my boss let represent our company without wearing very formal shoes. It's something that can easily be pulled off and I don't normally care or comment on what others wear, but wearing Nike free's with a suit it too ridiculous to not comment on. "Sneakers" with a suit, yes; Nike frees :shock:
Could you elaborate, please?
What exactly is this about? What are "frees"? (Maybe language barrier?)

Besides, wearing a suit with no proper dress shoes is ridiculous. So "hip" that it's mainstream already. And absolutely style-less.
Fashion yes, but no style. Not at all.
The OP referenced a link to a pair of red Nike Free Trainers. Free is a type of Nike sneaker.

While I don't wear sneakers with a suit, I understand that's what millenials like to do. It's a party, not a job interview at MegaCorp. Wear whatever you want as long as it adheres to the dress code. Good choice in deciding not to wear this particular pair of sneakers. There's other sneakers that will make you look better.

The next time you buy a suit, go with charcoal, grey, or navy as others have mentioned. Black just looks dreary. Sneaker/suit combo will look much better with a non-black suit.

stoptothink
Posts: 4460
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:43 pm

jayjayc wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:15 pm
hilink73 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:32 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 am
scottgekko wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....
This. I've worn Chuck's or Vans with a suit about a thousand times, including my wedding (and as a groomsman in several weddings) and countless formal events. It has kind of become my trademark in my current career as I was the first person my boss let represent our company without wearing very formal shoes. It's something that can easily be pulled off and I don't normally care or comment on what others wear, but wearing Nike free's with a suit it too ridiculous to not comment on. "Sneakers" with a suit, yes; Nike frees :shock:
Could you elaborate, please?
What exactly is this about? What are "frees"? (Maybe language barrier?)

Besides, wearing a suit with no proper dress shoes is ridiculous. So "hip" that it's mainstream already. And absolutely style-less.
Fashion yes, but no style. Not at all.
The OP referenced a link to a pair of red Nike Free Trainers. Free is a type of Nike sneaker.

While I don't wear sneakers with a suit, I understand that's what millenials like to do. It's a party, not a job interview at MegaCorp. Wear whatever you want as long as it adheres to the dress code. Good choice in deciding not to wear this particular pair of sneakers. There's other sneakers that will make you look better.

The next time you buy a suit, go with charcoal, grey, or navy as others have mentioned. Black just looks dreary. Sneaker/suit combo will look much better with a non-black suit.
Thanks for answering the questions. I'm not going to wear a pair of "sneakers" to a job interview, where I am concerned about the impression I am making on the people I am speaking to. But, my own wedding or a friend's wedding or an event where people are paying to see my speak, I am absolutely going to wear what I feel comfortable in and that isn't formal dress shoes. There is a time and a place, but IMO, there is no time or place where wearing a pair of Nike frees with anything but athletic gear isn't going to look out of place.

golfCaddy
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by golfCaddy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:26 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 am
scottgekko wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....
This. I've worn Chuck's or Vans with a suit about a thousand times, including my wedding (and as a groomsman in several weddings) and countless formal events. It has kind of become my trademark in my current career as I was the first person my boss let represent our company without wearing very formal shoes. It's something that can easily be pulled off and I don't normally care or comment on what others wear, but wearing Nike free's with a suit it too ridiculous to not comment on. "Sneakers" with a suit, yes; Nike frees :shock:
Vans or Chuck's with a suit and tie looks absolutely ridiculous.

stoptothink
Posts: 4460
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:57 pm

golfCaddy wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:26 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 am
scottgekko wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....
This. I've worn Chuck's or Vans with a suit about a thousand times, including my wedding (and as a groomsman in several weddings) and countless formal events. It has kind of become my trademark in my current career as I was the first person my boss let represent our company without wearing very formal shoes. It's something that can easily be pulled off and I don't normally care or comment on what others wear, but wearing Nike free's with a suit it too ridiculous to not comment on. "Sneakers" with a suit, yes; Nike frees :shock:
Vans or Chuck's with a suit and tie looks absolutely ridiculous.
That's definitely a subjective opinion, and I respect yours. There are going to be many people who disagree; you have seen a few in this thread and I have countless peers who do the same. Like it or not, it is becoming more and more prevalent, even in ultra conservative settings such as my place of employment. Good luck finding a single person, outside of a male aged under 14, who would suggest wearing Nike frees with a suit isn't over the edge.

hilink73
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by hilink73 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:31 pm

jayjayc wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:15 pm
hilink73 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:32 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 am
scottgekko wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Eh....that style shoe is not right even for the sneaker/suit look. It would look like you just don't have a pair of dress shoes, not that you tried to be goofy or trendy. Grab a pair of red converse Chuck Taylor's and you have a winner....
This. I've worn Chuck's or Vans with a suit about a thousand times, including my wedding (and as a groomsman in several weddings) and countless formal events. It has kind of become my trademark in my current career as I was the first person my boss let represent our company without wearing very formal shoes. It's something that can easily be pulled off and I don't normally care or comment on what others wear, but wearing Nike free's with a suit it too ridiculous to not comment on. "Sneakers" with a suit, yes; Nike frees :shock:
Could you elaborate, please?
What exactly is this about? What are "frees"? (Maybe language barrier?)

Besides, wearing a suit with no proper dress shoes is ridiculous. So "hip" that it's mainstream already. And absolutely style-less.
Fashion yes, but no style. Not at all.
The OP referenced a link to a pair of red Nike Free Trainers. Free is a type of Nike sneaker.
Thanks.

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Mjar » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks everyone for their insights, but I will NOT be wearing these Nike's with the suit, I will be going traditional.

User avatar
aspirit
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 am
Location: Bos/Mia-south

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by aspirit » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:58 pm

Mjar wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:38 pm
Thanks everyone for their insights, but I will NOT be wearing these Nike's with the suit, I will be going traditional.
The majority of the population cave's to socially acceptable thinking, policies & guidelines.

Care about what other people think and you'll aways be held prisoner - Lao' tzu'
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

Miriam2
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Mjar wrote: Thanks everyone for their insights, but I will NOT be wearing these Nike's with the suit, I will be going traditional.
Look at it in terms of RISK - your decision is probably the least risky :happy

skepticalobserver
Posts: 934
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:29 am

Re: suit shoe combo?

Post by skepticalobserver » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Mjar wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 pm
I am thinking about going to a black suit with a red colored tie and my red Nike sneakers...what do you all think?
In my other life I'd do it. For yours, go for it!

Post Reply