When does frugal cross the line to cheapskate?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
McCharley

When does frugal cross the line to cheapskate?

Post by McCharley » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi, Boglers,

There was an interesting thread on Reddit recently with this same question. I was wondering what you folks think.

Cheers :sharebeer

FIREchief

Re: When does frugal cross the line to cheapskate?

Post by FIREchief » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:56 pm

McCharley wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:37 pm
Hi, Boglers,

There was an interesting thread on Reddit recently with this same question. I was wondering what you folks think.

Probably when instead of just living below your means, you try to live at a higher level with somebody else picking up the tab.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:57 pm

If your frugality is making someone unhappy, you've crossed the line. That someone could be somebody else ("stingy,") or it could be you ("miserly.")
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:00 pm

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:02 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:57 pm
If your frugality is making someone unhappy, you've crossed the line. That someone could be somebody else ("stingy,") or it could be you ("miserly.")
I might add to this something like, "... when you have enough money, including for necessary savings, and do not *need* to be this frugal with money..."

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

smectym

Post by smectym » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 pm

I think Sidney suggested that "Thrift is the fuel of magnificence." At some point our thrifty habits should enable some splash-out, if not for ourselves, then for loved ones and friends. Also, give to charitable causes we actually care about ourselves--not because other people we need to impress say they care about them; and engage in other occasional experiments in excess.

Smectym

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Cheapskate can be a freeloader or a miser.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:34 pm

nisiprius wrote:
If your frugality is making someone unhappy, you've crossed the line.
What if somebody is being frugal to save for retirement and their able bodied, intelligent, twenty-something child is "unhappy" because they have to work now?
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:35 pm

since she was mentioned in a recent thread I'll say Hetty Green. Read why here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetty_Green
Green's stinginess was legendary. She was said never to turn on the heat or use hot water. She wore one old black dress and undergarments that she changed only after they had been worn out, did not wash her hands and rode in an old carriage. She ate mostly pies that cost fifteen cents. One tale claims that Green spent half a night searching her carriage for a lost stamp worth two cents. Another asserts that she instructed her laundress to wash only the dirtiest parts of her dresses (the hems) to save money on soap.[7]

Her frugality extended to family life. When her son Ned broke his leg as a child, Hetty tried to have him admitted to a free clinic for the poor.[3] Mythic accounts have her storming away after being recognized; her biographer Slack says that she paid her bill and took her son to other doctors. His leg did not heal properly and, after years of treatment, it had to be amputated.[3]

According to her longstanding "World's Greatest Miser" entry in the Guinness Book of World Records, she died of apoplexy after arguing with a maid over the virtues of skimmed milk.

Estimates of her net worth ranged from $100 million to $200 million (equivalent to $2.25 billion to $4.5 billion in 2018), making her arguably the richest woman in the world at the time.[3]

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetty_Green
I'd say that pretty much sums it up. Try to beat that.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:41 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:34 pm
nisiprius wrote:
If your frugality is making someone unhappy, you've crossed the line.
What if somebody is being frugal to save for retirement and their able bodied, intelligent, twenty-something child is "unhappy" because they have to work now?
I wouldn’t have used the word “unhappy.”

When you are cheating someone else out of money rightfully due them because you are trying to hold on to your own money, then you’ve crossed the line to being miserly.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:42 pm

smectym wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 pm
I think Sidney suggested that "Thrift is the fuel of magnificence." At some point our thrifty habits should enable some splash-out, if not for ourselves, then for loved ones and friends. Also, give to charitable causes we actually care about ourselves--not because other people we need to impress say they care about them; and engage in other occasional experiments in excess.

Smectym
What is splash-out?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Frugality and "cheap" are relative to "culture".
In some cultures, frugality is praised and admired, in others not so.
In some cultures there is a competition for who can be the biggest "cheapskate". And it is called shrewd, wise, sharp. Others not so.
I Hawaii, being a "cheapskate" is called being "Manini" (spell?). The name of a tiny fish. Not a favorable term. :shock:
j

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:50 pm

nisiprius wrote:
I disagree with that. The fact that I don't buy my mom a porsche that I can afford might make her unhappy, but it doesn't make me a cheapstake or a miser.:)

Frugality and cheapstake aren't exactly on a continuum. Cheapstake has a bunch of definitions

a) One is basically a freeloader. If we go to dinner and you order 200 bucks of food and I order 100 and you say split the bill, you are a cheapstake. This isn't nothing to do with being frugal. It is about exploiting friends.

B) is the being a miser definition where I buy the civic instead of the accord. That is very close to the definition of frugal.

We are talking about small differences in connotations. Frugal tends to get a bit of respect. Miserliness not so much.

When does frugality, miserliness, cheapness, and so on become an issue. When it prevents you from doing things you want to do and can afford to do. If I had 10 million dollars, wanted a porsche, but didn't buy it because I didn't want to spend money, then money is running my life instead of being a tool. Or if you want more normal examples, you don't go out with a friend because spending 10 dollars on food when out is unacceptable. Or you pass out at a theme park because no way your paying 3 bucks for water.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:55 pm

I guess many of us (who may be frugal) know it when we see it. It becomes most obvious when making decisions based on value and utility are instead replaced blindly by decisions made purely on cost without respect to any other metrics such as convienience, value, cleanliness, ease, health or pleasure. The ignoring of these other metrics often leads to emotional responses that are valid from the people they affect (including the cheapskate themselves). I know I have (and suspect many on this board) have crossed the line once or twice into cheapskate land - but once you cross it- you remember it and - at least for me - is seared in my mind and probably for many of us, we don’t cross into that land again...

AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:35 pm

McCharley wrote:
Hi, Boglers,

It's a great question, OP. Anyone on this forum has probably thought about this at some point. I'm no exception. I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours:

What do YOU think? How would YOU respond to your own question in the thread title? If you're not willing to share your own position before asking for others' on this sensitive topic, well..

Stacking_Benjamins

Post by Stacking_Benjamins » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Wednesday my wife texts me to pick up some water bottles with the squirt top.
I later reply "but the regular spring water is like half the price per oz"
Fortunately I married a frugal woman, who just went through our budget a couple weeks ago and she was cool with it.
But I did feel kind of like a curmudgeon.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 am

When someone else does it.

MrBeaver

Post by MrBeaver » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:23 am

1. When you get more joy from saving money than from giving it away.

Or:

2. You are frugal when you don’t let your means inflate your standards of contentment. You are a cheapskate when fear drives your expenditures. You are irresponsible when you spend to chase perceived contentment irrespective of your means.

Zonian59

Post by Zonian59 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:01 am

I think its a matter of perception: your's vs other people's.

I consider myself "Frugal" such that I do not buy on impulse or buy more than I need or buy more than I can afford or live extravagantly.
I always lived below my means.

I don't believe in "keeping up with the Jones or keeping up appearances"
I also don't lend money or buy expensive gifts for other people (including myself).

Other people (especially women) view me as a "Cheapskate" or "Cheap Charlie." :P

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:28 am

When you use cottage cheese rather than ricotta cheese in the lasagna for a family dinner, you are a cheapskate!

DMW

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:59 am

I would say that anyone who has been frugal and has amassed alot of wealth, has been called a cheapskate by someone. Some people say Warren Buffet and Sam Walton are, but i disagree.

basspond

Post by basspond » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:08 am

When your financial decisions brings actual physical harm to someone, when they cheat others, and if you try to haggle over a majority of transactions.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:32 am

How about when you go to dinner with friends and refuse to split the bill evenly because one of your friends dinner cost a few dollars more than yours?
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:41 am

I think everyone draws the line in a different place. Our family rarely eats out, shops mostly at Walmart, drives older cars. OTOH, I won't be cheap on my kids' educations--right now, that means quality public schools and lessons/tutoring. We also value travel, which I consider educational as well as enlightening.

What I won't do: eliminate showers to save on soap and hot water. Dumpster dive. Send my kids out in ragged clothing (although I patch things regularly). Keep my house at an uncomfortable temperature.

What I will do: Stock up at sales. Shop thrift stores. Cook from scratch.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:45 am

Stacking_Benjamins wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:55 pm
Wednesday my wife texts me to pick up some water bottles with the squirt top.
I later reply "but the regular spring water is like half the price per oz"
Fortunately I married a frugal woman, who just went through our budget a couple weeks ago and she was cool with it.
But I did feel kind of like a curmudgeon.
Paying for bottled water? Wasteful and profligate.

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:02 am

It's subjective. I try to aim to "eliminate waste", rather than aiming to save money. Turning off lights/AC in an empty room would be being frugal, but buying cheap detergent (even if it doesn't clean well) would be being cheapskate.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 am

When you've deprived yourself or others of something you could readily afford and would prefer just to not spend the money. When the goal is to not spend rather than to save money.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:15 am

I define a cheapskate as someone who frequently takes advantage of the generosity of others but never reciprocates.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:23 am

Somewhere between Target and Wal-Mart
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:53 am

I was brought up in a household that was "Great Depression" cheap, and I have lived on both sides of that line during my lifetime. The best definition I can give from personal experience is that you are living on the cheapskate side when having money or more money becomes more important than what you can use the money for.
As I have aged, cheapness has made less and less sense (the savings no long "compound" over a long lifetime in front of me). In the last 10 years I have gone from someone who calculated 12% to 15% tips to the penny and used a pocket full of change to get it exactly right, to a person who doesn't even carry change and gives "about" 20% in whole bills or whole numbers on the credit card. I take trips, dine out, and buy new stuff before the old items fall apart. The good news is that I feel fine about it, and I like the relief of not chasing "cheap" all the time.
"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest" -Paul Simon (The Boxer, 1970)

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:27 am

The frugal/cheapskate line will vary among people as some will view a person's actions one way and others another.

My parents grew up during the depression and, thus had many frugal habits which served them and us children well in a blue collar family in Appalachia. They were able to stretch a dollar pretty good. However, they were also generous when the situation called for it, often beyond their means.

Some cheapskate examples to me are poor tippers, always developing alligator arms when the dinner check comes, depriving their family and loved ones of necessities and basic pleasures they can easily afford, taking advantage of others in transaction (especially friends and family), reluctance to give to charities and needy when they can easily afford to.

I think some cheapskates are driven more by fear or insecurity but others are just plain greedy.

bligh

Post by bligh » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:29 am

Rupert wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:15 am
I define a cheapskate as someone who frequently takes advantage of the generosity of others but never reciprocates.
+1 .. I think this sums it up nicely.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:37 am

Rupert wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:15 am
This is often cited as the difference. But even this definition requires significant judgement. “Never” is pretty easy to interpret but how about seldom? Or in a way that isn’t really comparable?

How does one define “generous”. Are there really only 3 classes of people, cheap, normal, and generous? Maybe it depends on the type of expense? Does wealth act as a qualifier? Ie a wealthy sibling always picks up the tab for his poor relations. Is he as generous as the poor sib who picks up the tab once?

In my view, these type of discussions are so personal and situation specific, they are hardly worth having. Actionable?

telemark

Post by telemark » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:47 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 am
Bingo. I am prudent and responsible, others are stingy misers.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:58 am

McCharley wrote:
Hi, Boglers,

saw a show once....one guy bought 2-ply toilet paper, went home and 'unrolled' it and made 2 separate rolls out of it.

Another would take (steal?) those little ketchup packets at food courts or Burger King and fill up his ketchup bottle at home with them.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 am

When your passion for money clouds your judgement as to what is socially acceptable, you are a cheapskate. When you get more enjoyment from hoarding money than you do from spending or giving, you are a miser.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:35 am

My grandfather had a tad of miserliness toward some every day expenses but not people.

My aunt came over to his tiny rented house on am extremely hot day with the a.c. off and he was in his underwear. He said he wanted to see how long he could endure the heat. Aieee! Grandpa would also read at night by the street light outside.

He was a great grandpa. Loving and kind. I do miss him.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:39 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:35 am
My grandfather had a tad of miserliness toward some every day expenses but not people.

My aunt came over to his tiny rented house on am extremely hot day with the a.c. off and he was in his underwear. He said he wanted to see how long he could endure the heat. Aieee! Grandpa would also read at night by the street light outside.

He was a great grandpa. Loving and kind. I do miss him.
Your grandpa sounds amazing, I love that type of frugal intensity.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:44 am

I think every Boglehead would say they have a frugal strength that allows them be "cheap" on things others waste money on. My strength is definitely homes, cars and clothes........if it has four walls, four tires and fits, I am not picky. I do stumble with food though, our eating out budget is probably higher than most BHs, but lower than your average bear.

ArlinM

Post by ArlinM » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:07 am

At the shore, when my sunscreen container seems empty I cut it open to get the significant amount left inside. I say frugal, my daughter says cheapskate.
The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Exafchick

Post by Exafchick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 am

If you are washing paper plates to re-use, you might be a cheapskate!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 pm
Cheapskate can be a freeloader.
This would be my opinion. When your frugality results in you freeloading off others, that's the line for me. I am admittedly probably one of the most frugal people on this board; I analyze every penny and manage to have our household spending <$45k with two kids in full-time daycare and cash-flowing wife's tuition. That being said, you'll never find us taking anything from anybody: we pay more than going rate to my MIL for daycare (not including the fact that it is in our home, so we pay for everything), we usually pay for the entire extended family when we have outings to things like museums (and have done so with full out-of-state vacations - in fact, we're doing it next week), we regularly host family dinners and cover the entire cost, and my wife spent more last year on giving others gifts (primarily baby showers and weddings) than we did as a household on food and we make it very clear on birthdays and xmas that we'd prefer if nobody gave us gifts.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:19 am

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:27 am
The frugal/cheapskate line will vary among people as some will view a person's actions one way and others another.
My parents grew up during the depression and, thus had many frugal habits which served them and us children well in a blue collar family in Appalachia. They were able to stretch a dollar pretty good. However, they were also generous when the situation called for it, often beyond their means.
Some cheapskate examples to me are poor tippers, always developing alligator arms when the dinner check comes, depriving their family and loved ones of necessities and basic pleasures they can easily afford, taking advantage of others in transaction (especially friends and family), reluctance to give to charities and needy when they can easily afford to.
I think some cheapskates are driven more by fear or insecurity but others are just plain greedy.
Yes ... Growing up in the 1950's (in the country) - there were still many practices and reminders of the depression times of parants, grandparents, etc. There were still, for example, some old "bedsheets" stitched together from bleached grain sacks - in the back of closets.

What I recall also was how different folks of my parents' generation dealt with that experence of deprivation. Some, like my mother, continued to be moderately frugal - while others, like my aunt (her sister-in-law), while not a spendthrift, rejected some aspects of "frugality". My mother, for example, was not averse to hand-me-down (but good condition) clothing of all sorts, while my aunt would never accept or use anything of the sort.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:24 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:19 am
carolinaman wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:27 am
Yes ... Growing up in the 1950's (in the country) - there were still many practices and reminders of the depression times of parants, grandparents, etc. There were still, for example, some old "bedsheets" stitched together from bleached grain sacks - in the back of closets.

What I recall also was how different folks of my parents' generation dealt with that experence of deprivation. Some, like my mother, continued to be moderately frugal - while others, like my aunt (her sister-in-law), while not a spendthrift, rejected some aspects of "frugality". My mother, for example, was not averse to hand-me-down (but good condition) clothing of all sorts, while my aunt would never accept or use anything of the sort.
I once read somewhere that suits were really popular in the 50's mostly due to the fact that they sent a message of "I made it out of the depression." I can see where people would feel like a failure if they went back to those practices, I also see why people continue good practices because if it works, why change it?

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:28 am

Based on recent threads ...

If your vacations consist of free stays at resorts in exchange for timeshare pitches,
And dinners out with the spouse consist of investment seminars at local restaurants,
You might be a cheapskate. :happy

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:33 am

jrbdmb wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:28 am
Based on recent threads ...
If your vacations consist of free stays at resorts in exchange for timeshare pitches,
And dinners out with the spouse consist of investment seminars at local restaurants,
You might be a cheapskate. :happy
Yes!

True story - going back many years.

Went to a nice Italian restaurant when my wife and I were dating. Nice meal - and the restaurant as at the top of an apartment building - nice view.

The check came and as I was reviewing it and paying - I commented that the bill was "lower than the last time". My (now) wife "bristled" and said something like, "THAT was NOT with ME".

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:57 am

FIREchief wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:56 pm
McCharley wrote:
Hi, Boglers,

Probably when instead of just living below your means, you try to live at a higher level with somebody else picking up the tab.
Has anyone realized that it is the highest flyers who tend to do this the most? Think bunch of guys meeting up; they decide to go to the most expensive restaurant ... and split costs. The food cost share of one who makes the least - and is used to living below his/her means - will likely be the least, but he/she will be contributing more than that. On the other hand, the high flyers will have the highest food cost share and will be putting less than that in the pool. I defy anyone to call those guys the 'cheapskates' that they are! :oops:

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:02 am

randomguy wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:50 pm
nisiprius wrote:
I disagree with that. The fact that I don't buy my mom a porsche that I can afford might make her unhappy, but it doesn't make me a cheapstake or a miser.:)

Frugality and cheapstake aren't exactly on a continuum. Cheapstake has a bunch of definitions

a) One is basically a freeloader. If we go to dinner and you order 200 bucks of food and I order 100 and you say split the bill, you are a cheapstake. This isn't nothing to do with being frugal. It is about exploiting friends.

B) is the being a miser definition where I buy the civic instead of the accord. That is very close to the definition of frugal.

We are talking about small differences in connotations. Frugal tends to get a bit of respect. Miserliness not so much.

When does frugality, miserliness, cheapness, and so on become an issue. When it prevents you from doing things you want to do and can afford to do. If I had 10 million dollars, wanted a porsche, but didn't buy it because I didn't want to spend money, then money is running my life instead of being a tool. Or if you want more normal examples, you don't go out with a friend because spending 10 dollars on food when out is unacceptable. Or you pass out at a theme park because no way your paying 3 bucks for water.
I've said this before and let me repeat it. The definition of cheapskate and frugal is super subjective!!

Assuming Person A and Person B have comparable income ... Person A who always purchases brand new clothes, albeit store-brand ones, paying full price might refer to Person B as a cheapskate, because the latter routinely buys clothes at a Salvation Army store. Person B, who pays full price for travel, might turn right around and refer to Person A as a cheapskate because A uses points and promotions to pay less for travel (or if Person B travels business as a matter of routine while Person A travels "cattle class").

Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:04 am

Thinking about this, I'm reminded of some workplace stories. At a place a friend of mine worked, some director banned the purchase of colored post-it notes, under the impression that they cost more money. When it was pointed out they did not, and that yellow was a color, it mattered not at all.

Another friend worked for a state agency, which decided they needed to review if everyone actually needed a computer, and if they could save money by removing some. This was a building full of people working in planning, analysis, and finance -- in 2017.

For me, I think it's when you cross the line between frugality and stupidity -- the classic "penny wise, pound stupid" expression.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:06 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 am
We have a winner. I wasted two responses on this thread. Your answer just about sums it up!! #I_need_a_trophy_icon!!!