Consider an Annuity for AA When Rebalancing?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
nszzya

Consider an Annuity for AA When Rebalancing?

Post by nszzya » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Rebalancing my mother's portfolio into a Bogleheads three fund portfolio. She has a non-qualified fixed indexed annuity that is about 60% of her net worth. Maximum annual return is 4.5%. Also, she is withdrawing a guaranteed lifetime benefit of 50,000/yr from the annuity. Should I consider the annuity when doing the AA? If so, how? Thanks for advice.

Silk McCue

Re: Consider an Annuity for AA When Rebalancing?

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:22 pm

My recommendation would be to consider the $50k Annuity as a base of income along with Social Security (assuming she receives that) and then determine an appropriate AA based on need, willingness and ability to take risk in order to satisfy any current and future needs above that base.

Cheers

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:30 pm

No. I would not.
An annuity is part of one's income stream. AA includes investment assets.
Apples and Cabbage.

j :D

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 pm

I agree with the above posters.

Not the same situation, but I have a Vanguard VA which I have not yet annuitized. I intend that my wife, as the beneficiary, will take it over and annuitize it if I'm the first to go (to replace the portion of my pension which will go to the grave with me.) The VA is allocated quite conservatively with capital preservation/pacing inflation as the goals. I mentally set it off to the side and do not consider it when I'm checking the AA of the remainder of my portfolio. (The remainder is conservative as well but not as conservative of the VA).
Friar1610

nszzya

Post by nszzya » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks for all the advice!