What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
jballwine
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by jballwine » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:39 am

I have a bunch of cards opened for bonuses, but ultimately here is my strategy:

Amex Schwab Platinum - cashes out MR points with a 25% bonus to my schwab checking account - invest the cash
6.25% on flights and hotels, 2.5% on Uber rides
Keeper for the benefits/perks - I consider this a $0 fee card after credits, lounges, and benefits

Amex Everyday Preferred - 50% point bonus multiplier on all points earned with this card - Add 25% bonus multiplier with schwab Platinum
Groceries 5.25%, Gas/7-11 3.75%, Everything else 1.875%
AF of $95

Amex Blue Cash Preferred - 6% on grocery stores for gift cards/safeway gas cards - max $6000/year
AF of $95

Chase Freedom - 5% on restaurants or mobile wallets, etc at some point of the year to boost yield

Overall with our spending per year, just using the first three Amex cards exclusively in their categories and securing the 50% bonus every month, we get an effective yield of 3.19% back on everything after fees, and have an awesome travel perk card as a bonus.

SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 pm

I just received a targeted application for Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card.50K signup bonus. I used to have this card, and cancelled over a year ago.

My recollection is that Amex has a once in a lifetime policy for a bonus card, but I don't see that language in the T&C. Does this mean I can apply and get the bonus ? I have too many unused MR points now (I don't like changing to cash), so I'm not that hot on getting more, but if this is a special offer without the once in a lifetime language, I'd go for it since I may not be able to get the bonus again.

gvsucavie03
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:18 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 pm
I just received a targeted application for Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card.50K signup bonus. I used to have this card, and cancelled over a year ago.

My recollection is that Amex has a once in a lifetime policy for a bonus card, but I don't see that language in the T&C. Does this mean I can apply and get the bonus ? I have too many unused MR points now (I don't like changing to cash), so I'm not that hot on getting more, but if this is a special offer without the once in a lifetime language, I'd go for it since I may not be able to get the bonus again.
I'm pretty sure it is once per lifetime.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2027
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:31 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 pm
I just received a targeted application for Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card.50K signup bonus. I used to have this card, and cancelled over a year ago.

My recollection is that Amex has a once in a lifetime policy for a bonus card, but I don't see that language in the T&C. Does this mean I can apply and get the bonus ? I have too many unused MR points now (I don't like changing to cash), so I'm not that hot on getting more, but if this is a special offer without the once in a lifetime language, I'd go for it since I may not be able to get the bonus again.
Apparently Amex now displays a popup warning during the online application process if they determine that you won’t qualify for the signup bonus.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29861437-post21.html

solobuildingblogs
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by solobuildingblogs » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:50 am

I got the targeted Amex gold premier without the once in a lifetime language. I cancelled the card a few years ago. The bonus just posted last week.

The same thing happened to me last December with the Amex delta gold. I got the signup bonus for the third time on this targeted offer without once in a lifetime language.

Jballwine- if you or anyone else likes Amex mr points get the business blue plus. Two points per dollar for first $50,000 per year. Coupled with your Schwab that’s a nice 2.5% cash back:)

Bfwolf
Posts: 1757
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Bfwolf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 am

I got a targeted Amex Business Gold Rewards offer for 75K points after $5K spend in 3 months. I got this bonus 3 years ago but didn't see anything in the T&Cs about once in a lifetime. I applied today and got no popup warning me I was bonus ineligible. Hoping I'll get the bonus again!

Bhairston2018
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Bhairston2018 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:19 am

Just applied for World of Hyatt credit card. Benefits pasted below for sign up bonus :

Earn 60,000 Hyatt points: earn 40,000 points after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months plus an additional 20,000 points after you spend $6,000 total in the first 6 months

1 free night at category 1-4 Hyatt on anniversary date

Earn 4x at Hyatt hotels (including participating restaurants and spas)
Earn 2x on local transit and commuting, including taxis, mass transit, tolls and ride-share services
Earn 2x at restaurants, cafes, and coffee shops
Earn 2x on airline tickets purchased directly from an airline
Earn 2x on fitness clubs and gym memberships
Earn 1x everywhere else

I plan on using this with my chase freedom, capital one quicksilver and CSR. I think the anniversary free night is a great deal considering a night in a Hyatt is probably around 150. The Hyatt card may become my every day card since it is easier to find deals on flights rather than deals on hotels, plus my girlfriend told me she’d much rather stay in a nice place on vacations rather than air bnb’s (which I have no problem with). Looking into getting chase freedom for 5% cash back rotating also.

:sharebeer

TravelGeek
Posts: 2027
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:06 am

Bhairston2018 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:19 am
Earn 4x at Hyatt hotels (including participating restaurants and spas)
Earn 2x on local transit and commuting, including taxis, mass transit, tolls and ride-share services
Earn 2x at restaurants, cafes, and coffee shops
Earn 2x on airline tickets purchased directly from an airline
Earn 2x on fitness clubs and gym memberships
Earn 1x everywhere else

I plan on using this with my chase freedom, capital one quicksilver and CSR. I think the anniversary free night is a great deal considering a night in a Hyatt is probably around 150. The Hyatt card may become my every day card since it is easier to find deals on flights rather than deals on hotels, plus my girlfriend told me she’d much rather stay in a nice place on vacations rather than air bnb’s (which I have no problem with). Looking into getting chase freedom for 5% cash back rotating also.
Not sure what you mean by everyday card. If you have a CSR, that is where most of my spend would go. Looking at the bonus categories you listed, only my gym membership would earn more on the Hyatt card than on the CSR. Remember, you can always transfer UR points to the Hyatt loyalty program 1:1, so why earn 2 Hyatt points for dining if you can earn 3 via the CSR?

I also tend to find it easier to find deals ($$) on hotels than airfares because at most destinations there is still plenty of competition while many airline trips don’t have a lot of convenient options.

deltaneutral83
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by deltaneutral83 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:08 am

Bhairston2018 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:19 am
Just applied for World of Hyatt credit card. Benefits pasted below for sign up bonus :

Earn 60,000 Hyatt points: earn 40,000 points after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months plus an additional 20,000 points after you spend $6,000 total in the first 6 months
Always look for referrals with Chase cards. I do this with friends frequently.

chazas
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by chazas » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 6% grocery stores, 3% department stores
Citi Costco Visa: 4% gas stations, 3% restaurants and travel, 2% Costco
Citi DoubleCash: 2% everything else

Bhairston2018
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Bhairston2018 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:35 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:06 am
Bhairston2018 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:19 am
Earn 4x at Hyatt hotels (including participating restaurants and spas)
Earn 2x on local transit and commuting, including taxis, mass transit, tolls and ride-share services
Earn 2x at restaurants, cafes, and coffee shops
Earn 2x on airline tickets purchased directly from an airline
Earn 2x on fitness clubs and gym memberships
Earn 1x everywhere else

I plan on using this with my chase freedom, capital one quicksilver and CSR. I think the anniversary free night is a great deal considering a night in a Hyatt is probably around 150. The Hyatt card may become my every day card since it is easier to find deals on flights rather than deals on hotels, plus my girlfriend told me she’d much rather stay in a nice place on vacations rather than air bnb’s (which I have no problem with). Looking into getting chase freedom for 5% cash back rotating also.
Not sure what you mean by everyday card. If you have a CSR, that is where most of my spend would go. Looking at the bonus categories you listed, only my gym membership would earn more on the Hyatt card than on the CSR. Remember, you can always transfer UR points to the Hyatt loyalty program 1:1, so why earn 2 Hyatt points for dining if you can earn 3 via the CSR?

I also tend to find it easier to find deals ($$) on hotels than airfares because at most destinations there is still plenty of competition while many airline trips don’t have a lot of convenient options.
Apologies, typo I have he preferred not the reserve - and also, I’ve had many friends use Scott’s cheap flights and I’ve found them to be useful also, so that’s where I find most of my deals regarding airfare.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2027
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Bhairston2018 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:35 pm
Apologies, typo I have he preferred not the reserve - and also, I’ve had many friends use Scott’s cheap flights and I’ve found them to be useful also, so that’s where I find most of my deals regarding airfare.
OK, so 2X instead of 3X on travel and dining... I would still put those expenses on the CSP over the Hyatt. You can get the 2X Hyatt points if you need them, but you maintain your flexibility of using the points for something else. For me 2 UR points are worth more than 2 WoH points because of the flexibility. I can't quantify how much more, though :)

Bhairston2018
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Bhairston2018 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:35 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:16 pm
Bhairston2018 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:35 pm
Apologies, typo I have he preferred not the reserve - and also, I’ve had many friends use Scott’s cheap flights and I’ve found them to be useful also, so that’s where I find most of my deals regarding airfare.
OK, so 2X instead of 3X on travel and dining... I would still put those expenses on the CSP over the Hyatt. You can get the 2X Hyatt points if you need them, but you maintain your flexibility of using the points for something else. For me 2 UR points are worth more than 2 WoH points because of the flexibility. I can't quantify how much more, though :)
Understandable!! The bonus is worth 12 free nights in a category 1 hotel and you don’t pay taxes or fees. I do like the fact that you can combine cash with points for example, 5000 points is a free night in a category one hotel. Or you can pay $50 and only use 2500 points for a night, which I think could stretch your points a lot further. I’m new to the chase rewards game. Venture One was my former travel credit card but the Penny per point was not worth it even earning at a 2x rate.

User avatar
pennstater2005
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 pm

Think my credit card gaming is going to get tough. Got this prompt from American Express....

Image

At least they didn't have me submit it first knowing they wouldn't give me the bonus! This also happened with Capital One. Excellent credit but they're seeing all those opened and closed cards.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Post Reply