That Extravagant Thing You Do

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: That Extravagant Thing You Do

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:01 pm

I work on a contract basis, so I take a lot of time off between contracts. To be exact, since I've been out of college, I've worked 16 years and taken 10 off. It has varied from a month to 2 years between contracts. I viewed them as mini-retirements while I was young and was able to do things I wouldn't be able to do (or wouldn't want to do) when in actual retirement.

timmy

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:22 pm

I act fancy. It's cheaper than being fancy.

msj16

Post by msj16 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:40 am

Original watercolor painting by award-winning local artist
Meal Kit delivery service (perhaps once to twice a month - love it for the interesting recipes)

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:41 am

Business class seats for long haul flights
Private tour guides on vacations

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:32 am

I just bought two used snowmobiles and a new hitch for my Outback. Now all I need is a trailer to haul one of the snowmobiles since I have a nice friend who has an empty slot in his trailer and will haul the second one for me so as not to overtax my Outback (going trailer shopping this weekend and next week while I'm off work). A group of us rent a house from my the parents of my brother-in-law in the Adirondacks and go up over Superbowl weekend and we have a great time. In about 4-5 years, they will have paid for themselves by not having to rent two snowmobiles for about $1000 per weekend.

The DW and I are frugal in pretty much all other aspects so we decided to splurge on this thing we both, and all our friends, really enjoy.

techthedj

Post by techthedj » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:34 am

Reading through this thread (and a few other similar ones) there are quite a few responses that make me think "wow, that is definitely not my cup of tea." Definitely boosts my confidence level in the few things I do actually splurge on. Different strokes.... :beer

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:07 pm

How did I miss this one? In fairness, we do have lot of topics with the same theme currently being discussed.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:45 pm

I heard a guy say one time, I am too poor to buy cheap tools.
And after having cheap tools break I wait and get quality.
I hand carve spoons in my spare time, I also turn on a spring pole lathe (non electric foot powered).
I sell them at craft shows.
Tools I love, love tools. These are hand made.
Nic Westermann he is a welsh blacksmith. A year waiting list for his knives both carving and hook knives. I have been waiting for
3 years for one of his hand made carving axes. He innovated a hook knife design that makes it very easy too keep sharp. A lot of people are copying it.
Pinewoods forge hook knives love them for finishing. Hand made by Del Stubbs.
Savante Djar adze took a year to get one, but its awesome for big hand hewn bowls.
Kestrel tool--I have a surface decorating adze, great for working on hewn beams/mantels.
Lie Neilson their tools planes, and drawknives are top notch!
Tormek, T-8 Sharpener wow what a tool!
I also go to Plymouth MA every year for Greenwood Fest. Which is a weekend of carving with world class carvers.
I have taken a lot of classes with some of the best carvers from around the world. Roy Underhill was our keynote speaker last year and he was great, so very personable.
(Greenwood meaning fresh wood most often in log form, not kiln dried lumber.)
Most of what I do is hand work, I have actually sold off my band saw and other powered tools to buy a sawmill. I just got an older
Hud-Son bandmill. This will hopefully let me learn timberframing, and let me build a space to offer classes maybe start a folk school once I am in retirement. If not It will be something cool for my daughter.
SO for me its all about the tools. I spent years buying barn beat up tools and trying to fix what went wrong now I get a quality tool and keep it quality.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat May 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Earlier today I went to a Float Spa in downtown DC. For one hour I was floating in a large bathtub full of Epsom salt in the sensory deprivation environment: complete darkness, no sounds. I will definitely do it again. The introductory package is $225 for 3 sessions; and I now have 2 sessions left. If they go well, I will start getting 10-session packages for $625.

Today, I got a large open tub, because I dropped-in without reservations and that was the only place available. In the future, I will be reserving smaller enclosed pods.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

UTgrad

Post by UTgrad » Sun May 20, 2018 10:06 pm

$10/mo gym membership
$10/mo pound of coffee from local roaster

I use the membership everyday & also drink coffee everyday, but that $20 per month compounded for 40 years...

dvmmph

Post by dvmmph » Mon May 21, 2018 1:49 am

Working 15 shifts/month
4 vacations/year ( 2 international). Business or first class when traveling international

ThankYouJack

The Spend More Thread

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:42 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I'm about to splurge on a hobby and live below my means and am great financial shape to do so. But growing up finances were a concern in my house and that has lingered with me. So I figured I'd start a thread to encourage me to spend a bit more, to not miss out on experiences and things each of us love but cost a fair bit of money.

What have you splurged on recently and any words of wisdom?

As an auctioneer once told me: "It's only money there's always time to make more of it." :sharebeer

masonstone

Re: The Spend More Thread

Post by masonstone » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:44 pm

Tesla Model S 😁

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:00 pm

Crossing trips off my travel bucket list. :beer

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Tickets to US F1 Grand Prix in Austin and an inflatible stand up paddle board.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Race car
Relocating to beach town for a year
Going to NYC and Turks in next 60 days

Going to Mexican tonight to treat the twins!
Meet my savings goals then spend the rest before my wife does.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:55 pm

I merged ThankYouJack's thread into the on-going discussion.

The counterpoint: That Frugal Thing You Do

Note that both threads were started in 2009.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:34 pm

Float Spa, https://www.soulexdc.com/. I bought a 3-session package ($225), had my third session two days ago, and now I am planning to get a 10-session package ($625).

Victoria

ADDED on 8 July 2018:
I just realized that I have already reported my floating on 19 May 2018. This means that subconsciously I consider it truly extravagant even as consciously I am trying to justify it to myself. Subconscious be damned. I like it and I'll do it.
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

dewey

Post by dewey » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:41 pm

I buy a new car every few years. I enjoy cars and though I'd be a wealthier man not doing it, I'm like a moth to the lights. My wife always says "You deserve it. You worked hard your whole life and you get real pleasure from a nice car." Otherwise...fairly smart about spending. 69 and drawing only 2.4% a year from my portfolio. I donate considerably to charities and other causes.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Does taking a two room suite on a Viking European River cruise count as extravagant?

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:48 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:34 pm
Float Spa, https://www.soulexdc.com/. I bought a 3-session package ($225), had my third session two days ago, and now I am planning to get a 10-session package ($625).

Victoria
Naw, that's just stuff you earned Vita.

AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:07 pm

Car repairs/maintenance on an older car, haha.

In all seriousness, the vacation we are on now. Block from the beach for a week. Even then, total cost is less than 1.4K for the week, all in. Outside of a yearly vacation, there is nothing extravagant we spend money on.

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:40 am

1. Three international vacations in last 2 years (the 2nd was honeymoon)
2. A domestic vacation every 3-4 months to keep ourselves sane
3. Eating out often, not at expensive places though (We enjoy putting our meals together at home but at times simply run out of time or energy.).
4. Purchased a new car 2 years ago (fully paid, no financing)

If I could go back in time to change stuff, only decision I'll change would be of buying a new car. Should have bought a 3-year old car and invested the difference.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:13 am

I confess that Caribbean beach stays are my Achilles' heel. We're about to go on a ten-day stay in St. Lucia to celebrate 40 years of marriage, flying first class.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:02 am

I spend money on some things - dinner out, travel, golf, sporting events, concerts, etc. None of this would I consider extravagant since I don't overpay or go for the "luxury" option. Might sound nuts but I think my iPhone with data plan etc. is an extravagance. There's not much I do with it that I can't do another way (on my PC, tablet, etc.) except an occasional phone call. I guess nice to have when I'm bored, sitting in a waiting room...but there's usually a 5 year old magazine I could look at instead.

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:04 am

Hunting and international travel.

There is no practical reason for me to hunt. I'm a city guy and have plenty of grocery stores near me. I can get frozen catfish nuggets for less than $2 per pound, so why go out of my way to shoot deer/hogs for probably $20 per pound? It's fun and I like shooting stuff and exotic meats taste a bit different. Wild boar is nothing like farm raised pork. You also have the element of long periods of boredom followed by brief periods of excitement that make soccer and football exciting for many fans.

International travel- I love it for meeting alternative lifestyle folks. I'm not going to sit on a plane for 5-14 hours just to look at an old bridge or building.

LMBFlorida

Post by LMBFlorida » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:19 pm

Apple computer hardware and semi-custom 1911's

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:45 pm

original art
regular manicures & pedicures
regular massages
I'm a great tipper :happy
gifts for family and friends
organic produce
nice meals out
nice vacations
top quality bed linens and towels
other nice things for my home and wardrobe

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 am

I chimed in earlier in this thread, but I'm adding to my list. I recently bought an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean watch and a set of Sheex bed sheets for the master bedroom.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Extravagance is in the eyes of the beholder.

For many years, I was priding myself on flying economy. Then I found an inexpensive business class flight for an over-night flight to Frankfurt, which I will use later this month.

Two days ago, I was booking a short winter trip to Vienna and decided to use business class on the way there, because I won't have too much time to recover from a sleepless night in economy. The business class was only 40k miles more expensive than economy, and I had enough United miles and Chase URs to cover it.

Today, after reading a travel blog, I learned that American Airlines has business saver awards widely available. And so I booked flights to Madrid, using business for the overnight cross-Atlantic flight and economy for everything else. The AA business saver is only 57.5k miles (which is even less than UA's 70k miles).

I found my new sweet spot of extravagance: flying business overnight to Europe.

Victoria

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Hu Kitchen Chocolate

Many gym memberships (balances out the chocolate)
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Pessimist55

Post by Pessimist55 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Flying in first class (w my miles) whenever I go on vacation. Not talking about ua aa, more of the world's best airlines and their planes

itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:48 am

Racecars/trackdays.

Even at the low levels, you quickly understand where the slogan "There's a small fortune to be had in racing, starting with a large one." came from. :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am

Wow. The revival of an almost 10 year-old thread, courtesy of some thread melds by the moderators.

Since the original posting, I have added thermal baths to the mix. Thermal waters are far more prevalent in Europe than in the US, so affordable choices abound. But, there is an extravagant version. We discovered a thermal waters spa that features full board stays. Visitors never need to leave the premises. The place is simple, but immaculate. The food is outstanding. The waters are kept at a perfect temperature for long soaks. After a few days of eat, soak, eat, nap, soak, eat, stretch, sleep, repeat, the world looks different. We are already looking at dates for later this year and early next spring for return visits.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:46 am

I think the most extravagant thing I do is buy whatever pleases me without doing any sort of calculations or analysis, and I never lose sleep over it. Even the purchases that don't work out as well as I expected are not that big of a deal.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm

cinghiale wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am
Wow. The revival of an almost 10 year-old thread, courtesy of some thread melds by the moderators.

Since the original posting, I have added thermal baths to the mix. Thermal waters are far more prevalent in Europe than in the US, so affordable choices abound. But, there is an extravagant version. We discovered a thermal waters spa that features full board stays. Visitors never need to leave the premises. The place is simple, but immaculate. The food is outstanding. The waters are kept at a perfect temperature for long soaks. After a few days of eat, soak, eat, nap, soak, eat, stretch, sleep, repeat, the world looks different. We are already looking at dates for later this year and early next spring for return visits.
Hi cinghiale,

Can you share with us which spa you went to? I've tried some in Czechia and Slovakia and have heard some good things about spas in Bulgaria and Montenegro. Central and Eastern Europe seem to be a sweet spot for hedonic experiences.

Victoria

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm
cinghiale wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am

Hi cinghiale,

Can you share with us which spa you went to? I've tried some in Czechia and Slovakia and have heard some good things about spas in Bulgaria and Montenegro. Central and Eastern Europe seem to be a sweet spot for hedonic experiences.

Victoria
Yes.
Sounds really special, so we, too, would appreciate first-hand recommendation(s).

Thank you.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:57 am

Victoria and ResearchMed asked for thermal spa details...

Here goes: http://www.gardenterme.it/en/. You can adjust the language preference on the top right.

Agree, Victoria, that there are some grand old spas in Eastern Europe. I note your past posting on taking the thermal waters, and still have hopes that travels to Hungary and the Czech Republic will provide opportunities to pay visits to come of the classic hotel spas. And day visits abound at spas across the continent for something around 15.00 Euros per day. That makes for extravagance on the cheap.

If anyone looks this over and considers a visit, please PM me. If our visits happen to coincide, it would be a treat to meet a fellow BH at the waters.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:25 am

cinghiale wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:57 am
Victoria and ResearchMed asked for thermal spa details...

Here goes: http://www.gardenterme.it/en/. You can adjust the language preference on the top right.
Thank you, cinghiale,

Your spa experience is a Bogleheads extravagance at its best: luxurious, revitalizing, and not prohibitively expensive. I am still exploring lower-end European luxuries and will be sharing my findings as they come.

Enjoy la dolce vita,

Victoria

z91

Post by z91 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:49 pm

CarpeDiem22 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:40 am
If I could go back in time to change stuff, only decision I'll change would be of buying a new car. Should have bought a 3-year old car and invested the difference.
Just imagine if you did do that, and the car had problems. Guess what you'd be wishing then! :D

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Ski pass, New kiteboarding kites and bars

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:06 pm

I decided to hire someone to fix my irrigation system. I was thinking to watch a few YouTube videos and trying to fix it myself.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:33 pm

my wife is obsessed with home decor.... we spent a pretty penny jazzing up our home into a modern "hollywood chic" style with mostly aesthetic stuff since we got it a year ago... wainscoting, crown molding, marble floors, glass french doors, staircase, furniture, decoration etc... totally unnecessary stuff for a great condition 14 year old house that only really needed a fresh coat of paint and carpet replacement

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Tag Heuer Formula 1 watch

Peloton bike and monthly fee

Considering a BMW 340i or Infiniti Q50 even though I drive a perfectly fine Acura TLX

Good beer. Just bought two six packs ($16/each) of Creature Comforts Tritonia that is damn near impossible to find outside of Athens, GA

Longruninvestor

What is your luxury good?

Post by Longruninvestor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:37 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below (next page). --admin LadyGeek]

A number of years ago about 20 of my colleagues and I spent a week with a consultant learning how to properly segment a market. The mega-corp I worked for was fond of hiring "experts" and paid them handsomely in an attempt to wring even more profit out of our beleaguered customer base. I don't recall much about that week except for a survey question asked at the very beginning of the course. We were given slips of paper and asked to write down the premium we'd be willing to pay for an ocean view in some fictitious hotel room. The room was said to be identical in all respects to every other room in the hotel except that it had a spectatular view of the Pacific Ocean. I wrote down $0 and explained later in a class discussion that I use hotel rooms just for sleeping and prefer to spend precious vacation funds on more adventurous pursuits. The consultant shoved me and another person into a classification he labeled as the "commodity purchaser"; the lowest of the low when it comes to customer segments. These are the people that buy store label food brands. Gasp. Those in our group that ponied up $100 per night or more for that fictitious picture window were extolled as the premium purchasers and represented a class of customer that were going to spend the rest of the week on.

Please put this ridiculous class out of your mind and focus on a question from me. What is the thing or experience in your life that you pay a premium for? For some it will be a Rolex watch or a luxury automobile. Others of us are foodies and on occasion, spend lavishly on restaurant meals. I once flew business class to Asia on company dollars and enjoyed a glorious ride, but would never spend that kind of cash on my own dime. My tastes in watches and cars and food and airplane rides are mostly pedestrian, and my tastes tend towards the basic and mundane in most things. In recent years I have discovered some spending that has brought me joy and I'm interested in what others know about themselves. I'm not talking about money you give away to friends, family, or charity --which is good and altruistic but a topic for another day. This is about selfish spending. Things and experiences you pay a premium for that gives you joy. Go!

UpperNwGuy

Re: What is your luxury good?

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:39 pm

To be honest, since I retired, I have tried to systematically weed out all the luxuries in my life. I suppose that choosing to live in a high-cost city is the one remaining luxury that I have.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:42 pm

tldr...

Bucks of Star.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Dyneema / Cuben Fiber ultralight camping gear.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.