The Three-Fund Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
SWBoarder

Re: The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by SWBoarder » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Thank you.

CyclingDuo

Re: The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by CyclingDuo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:09 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:55 pm
I was disappointed it did not have a comprehensive historic return grid for a Vanguard 3 fund portfolio at 10%, 20%, & 30% stock/bond split for Vanguard shares.
SWBoarder:

I do not like using past returns because past performance does not forecast future performance. Nevertheless, you can see past returns of The Three-Fund Portfolio, using different stock/bond splits, HERE.

The Three Fund Portfolio on page 61 was 40% Total Stock Market; 20% Total International and 40% Total Bond Market.
Jack Bogle: "The biggest mistake investors make is looking backward at performance and thinking it’ll recur in the future."
Best wishes.
Taylor
Looks like quite a few more pension funds could have done better with a simple 60/40 mix of the Three Fund Portfolio the past decade:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/wall-str ... 58282.html
M1 Finance - Set up your Three Fund Portfolio for free using VTI, VXUS, BND!

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"Taylor's New Book: The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:20 pm

Bogleheads:

Mel Lindauer started a topic conversation about my new book, The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio. I wrote the book, in part, because of the popularity of this Conversation. The book contains many of your endorsements for which I am very grateful.

Please make your posts about the book here:

Taylor's New Book: The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle