Avocado oil --recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
seashell

Avocado oil --recommendations?

Post by seashell » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Could you recommend a good brand of extra virgin avocado oil?

Pajamas

Re: Avocado oil --recommendations?

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:43 pm

La Tourangelle is good quality. It is filtered instead of refined. Just make sure to check the date on the can.

Sometimes avocado oil is almost colorless and has little flavor or fragrance and since it is usually sold in green glass, you don't know until after you buy it. Terms such as "pure" or "organic" or "cold-pressed" or "natural" or "expeller-pressed" don't really matter if it has been refined, even "naturally refined", so watch out for that.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:18 pm

Avocado oil is a thing?

What do you do with it - put it on your toast?

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:54 pm

I bought some at Trader Joe's/

It has very little flavor.

I assumed that is normal for avocado oil. Not like olive oil.

Am I wrong?

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:18 pm
Avocado oil is a thing?

What do you do with it - put it on your toast?
It has a very high smoke point, making it a very good for high heat frying, grilling etc.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Costco or BJ's
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:52 am

protagonist wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Am I wrong?
The same thing happened to me. I was excited when Trader Joe's started carrying avocado oil and grabbed a bottle but was completely disappointed when I opened it as it is bland, highly refined oil from Mexico. Trader Joe's would have taken it back, of course, but I used it for mayonnaise instead of grapeseed oil so as not to waste it. The refined oil is also good for cooking as it has a high smoke point but it usually costs more than safflower or light olive oil which also have a high smoke point.

Unrefined avocado oil is a deep golden or green color and smells and tastes like avocados because it's pressed from the flesh of the fruit, same as olive oil. It's totally different from the refined stuff. It is my favorite for salads and it is also very good for use on the skin.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:50 am

It is my favorite for salads
For those of us with insulin resistance who just don’t care for the taste of olive oil (long story; adolescent trauma), avocado oil and apple cider vinegar are a great salad dressing.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 am

Pajamas wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:52 am
protagonist wrote:

Am I wrong?
The same thing happened to me. I was excited when Trader Joe's started carrying avocado oil and grabbed a bottle but was completely disappointed when I opened it as it is bland, highly refined oil from Mexico. Trader Joe's would have taken it back, of course, but I used it for mayonnaise instead of grapeseed oil so as not to waste it. The refined oil is also good for cooking as it has a high smoke point but it usually costs more than safflower or light olive oil which also have a high smoke point.

Unrefined avocado oil is a deep golden or green color and smells and tastes like avocados because it's pressed from the flesh of the fruit, same as olive oil. It's totally different from the refined stuff. It is my favorite for salads and it is also very good for use on the skin.
Can you share the mayonnaise recipe please
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 am

We buy from Costco. Quality was fine, at less than half the price of our local grocery store (Kroger).

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:39 am

grok87 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 am
I use one egg yolk and about 3/4 cup of oil with a couple of tablespoons of vinegar and/or lemon juice and a heaping teaspoon of Dijon mustard and usually add some extra flavoring (chili lime seasoning is a favorite). If you have never made mayo, find a recipe with a video or look on YouTube for instructions on how to slowly add the oil to the egg. You can use a food processor, blender, or whisk.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 am

grok87 wrote:
Pajamas wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:52 am
protagonist wrote:

Am I wrong?

That's great to hear. Thanks. When I run out of the Trader Joe's stuff I will try again....maybe my health food store....

Even though I found it tasteless I still use it from time to time for its high smoke point and potential health benefits ...similar to olive oil but better for cooking. I also use it on popcorn in lieu of butter, where olive oil would be overpowering.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 am
I also use it on popcorn in lieu of butter, where olive oil would be overpowering.
It's hard to beat butter on popcorn. I don't use a lot of butter and I rarely make popcorn but when I do, I put butter on it.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:50 am

Pajamas wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 am
protagonist wrote:
I also use it on popcorn in lieu of butter, where olive oil would be overpowering.
It's hard to beat butter on popcorn. I don't use a lot of butter and I rarely make popcorn but when I do, I put butter on it.
... and grass-fed butter (for example Kerrygold or locally sourced) isn’t the death sentence some people think butter is.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:44 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:50 am
Pajamas wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 am
protagonist wrote:
... and grass-fed butter (for example Kerrygold or locally sourced) isn’t the death sentence some people think butter is.
True.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:39 am
grok87 wrote:
I use one egg yolk and about 3/4 cup of oil with a couple of tablespoons of vinegar and/or lemon juice and a heaping teaspoon of Dijon mustard and usually add some extra flavoring (chili lime seasoning is a favorite). If you have never made mayo, find a recipe with a video or look on YouTube for instructions on how to slowly add the oil to the egg. You can use a food processor, blender, or whisk.
Thanks
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:39 pm

TallBoy29er wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 am
We buy from Costco. Quality was fine, at less than half the price of our local grocery store (Kroger).
I never heard of avocado oil before this thread. I bought a bottle at Costco this afternoon after some online research It's a liter bottle of Chosen Foods brand for $9.99 in the warehouse. A supermarket I checked before Costco was $9.99 for 500 ml same brand. So Costco is a bargain if you like it.

The brand is both cold-pressed and refined, though the Chosen Foods website says its a special refined, using low heat. The taste is nice, with the flavor of avocado, more flavorful and yet milder than the Trader Joe's Calif Estate olive oil we favor.

seashell

Post by seashell » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Thanks all.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:38 am

heartwood wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:39 pm

I never heard of avocado oil before this thread. I bought a bottle at Costco this afternoon after some online research It's a liter bottle of Chosen Foods brand for $9.99 in the warehouse. A supermarket I checked before Costco was $9.99 for 500 ml same brand. So Costco is a bargain if you like it.

The brand is both cold-pressed and refined, though the Chosen Foods website says its a special refined, using low heat. The taste is nice, with the flavor of avocado, more flavorful and yet milder than the Trader Joe's Calif Estate olive oil we favor.
I was in Trader Joe's today and they had that same Chosen Foods brand for $8.99. Don't know how long they have had it but they didn't have their own brand on the shelf.

I don't need any oil right now but if they still have it when I do, I may try a bottle since you say that it retains the avocado flavor. It has lots of reviews on Amazon and 88% are five star and they seem reliable but many of them do mention only a very mild flavor and a few even mention no flavor.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:59 am

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:38 am
heartwood wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:39 pm

I was in Trader Joe's today and they had that same Chosen Foods brand for $8.99. Don't know how long they have had it but they didn't have their own brand on the shelf.

I don't need any oil right now but if they still have it when I do, I may try a bottle since you say that it retains the avocado flavor. It has lots of reviews on Amazon and 88% are five star and they seem reliable but many of them do mention only a very mild flavor and a few even mention no flavor.

Three weeks later and I've been switching between Trader Joe's Calif Estate olive oil and the Chosen Foods brand I got at Costco. Last night I tried a small plate of salad with each oil. Base upon the side by side taste test, I'll revise what I say above to say the avocado oil is milder and probably doesn't have a noticeable avocado flavor. It is much milder than the TJs olive oil we use. So I'd go along with the reviews you mention.

That said, for now I like the avocado oil better, at least on salad. i'll probably continue to switch between the oils.

amw123

Post by amw123 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:58 pm

I have been using the Costco avocado oil for about half a year now. I like the fact that its neutral tasting. It also has a really high smoking point (520 degrees F vs. 320 for extra virgin olive oil) as pointed out before. It is also usually healthier than olive oil because of the makeup of fats in the oil)

buglenote

Post by buglenote » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:22 pm

Avocado oil is a more neutral taste than olive and so is good for cooking, along with the better smoke point.

Kevala is pretty tasty and the only one I've found that sells in bulk (1/2 gallon and gallon). Link at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A82QFDG , although I usually find better prices on ebay or elsewhere.

Haven't seen the Costco one, I'll have to look out for it.